Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

tongue mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 06:52 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default tongue mufflers

A lot of us like to fly smaller models occssionally and need a decent muffler. The stock is too heavy and restrictive so this is a perfect alternative. We all know about tongue mufflers but to get one for a small OS 10/15 or other small sized engine is impossible,usually.
Scott Riese has been making these on order for quite sometime and seems to be the best kept secret in the C/l sport.
These are very well made and are beautifully finished and the price is reasonable. I've received items from him before and I figure that a good thing should not be kept secret. if you need one, this is as good as it gets,
dennis
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31837.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	1621417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12550.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	1621418  
Old 06-10-2011, 08:16 AM
p51drb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: tongue mufflers

VERY NICE!
Old 12-07-2014, 07:12 PM
RACE 66

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Dennis: I tried contacting Scott via e mail and I never got a response regarding purchase tongue mufflers. Do you know if he still makes them an also do you have any contact information of him?
Thanks
Mike
Old 12-07-2014, 09:32 PM
adanjo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems that Brodak also stocks a muffler for OS FP/LA 10/15 as of today.
http://brodak.com/engines/mufflers/t...niversary.html

Aki
Old 12-09-2014, 04:25 PM
Lou Crane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad to see there is another source for the smaller OS engines! Thanks!

A friend bought one of Scott's tongue mufflers for an OS 15LA. BEAUTIFUL piece of work! Ran really great, too.

I have no experience of Brodak's product, but he does try to offer the best he can - should be good.

I have (aluminum) brazed my own mufflers for decades, but bought available market items when they looked good. Results, both ways, invariably good.

I would never offer to build a chip or 'standard' muffler for anyone else - too much work, and too high a chance of needing to scrap a partially completed piece for a bad start...

BTW, the "mufflers" provided with the NorVel .049 and .061 or AP .061 cu in engines do very well as stock, and many provide a nipple to tap muffler pressure to augment fuel draw. The mufflers on the AP .09 and .15 engines too - and they DO knock down a lot of noise as well.

Of course, small diesel engines only sound loud at hands-on distances - their 'loudness' fades rapidly with distance. If your flying field requires mufflers, regardless of loudness standards, you are at a slight disadvantage.

OR - you could do as a guy in Massachusetts did in the 1970's... He had devised an electric-powered bicycle motor-pack. State (er, Commonwealth) law required ALL motor vehicles to be equipped with an 'approved muffler,' He found an inexpensive 'approved' lawn mower muffler and wired it onto the electric motor. We were there, then, and had to laugh, unless we chose to cry....

Hmmm... does the mandatory muffler field requirement apply to electric-motor powered models?
Old 12-09-2014, 07:58 PM
RACE 66

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny, Funny regarding the "muffled" electric motor. Most likely I will go to Brodak, as Scott's are not available unless he's still around offering his wares. I am not in a hurry for it, if he were to show up here. We see what happens for now. Thanks for your input.

Mike