Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Cessna 310 posted

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Top Flite Cessna 310 posted

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 04:53 AM
JoeMamma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Cessna 310 posted

ORIGINAL: sailor05

Joe, it looks like you are running a seperate servo for your rudder? From the looks of the image here the rudder servo in the factory mount only controls the nose wheel??

Damian

Yes.....I'm running separate servos for the rudder and the steering.

The rudder servo has been relocated to the rear of the fuse located under that fiberglass hatch cover. I had to design and fabricate a tray to hold the rudder servo.

The operation of both servos has been linked together. The one big advantage of having independent, linked steering/rudder servos is you can program a ton of rudder movement while programming a small amout of steering travel. On most planes I've usually discovered that there is way too much steering travel designed in.

The same holds true for this Cessna.

Joe M.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:55 AM
jet22b

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: JoeMamma

Joe, it looks like you are running a seperate servo for your rudder? From the looks of the image here the rudder servo in the factory mount only controls the nose wheel??

Damian

Yes.....I'm running separate servos for the rudder and the steering.

The rudder servo has been relocated to the rear of the fuse located under that fiberglass hatch cover. I had to design and fabricate a tray to hold the rudder servo.

The operation of both servos has been linked together. The one big advantage of having independent, linked steering/rudder servos is you can program a ton of rudder movement while programming a small amout of steering travel. On most planes I've usually discovered that there is way too much steering travel designed in.

The same holds true for this Cessna.

Joe M.
Joe M.
When you have the time, will you please post a picture of where you put your rudder servo!! Like your-self, I too love the have a servo for steering and one for the rudder. I have start working on my 310 last night and I was looking for a place to put one more servo for steering. For me, I just like to have the pull-pull system on its own servo.
Thanks for the info and picture!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 06-08-2011, 05:21 PM
JoeMamma

[/quote]
Joe M.
When you have the time, will you please post a picture of where you put your rudder servo!! Like your-self, I too love the have a servo for steering and one for the rudder. I have start working on my 310 last night and I was looking for a place to put one more servo for steering. For me, I just like to have the pull-pull system on its own servo.

Sonny
aka
jet22b
[/quote]

I should have some time this weekend for the rear-mounted rudder servo pics.

Joe M.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:56 PM
sailor05
My Feedback: (1)

I have stopped working on my build because I want to see these pictures too!

Thanks Joe!

Joe M.

Sonny
aka
jet22b
[/quote]

I should have some time this weekend for the rear-mounted rudder servo pics.

Joe M.
[/quote]
Old 06-09-2011, 03:49 PM
JoeMamma

Here's a couple of pics of my rear mounted rudder servo. I'd like to say it was an easy job, but it took quite a bit of layout work.......lottsa angles and dangles to figure out!

It works great, and by using a set of Dubro ball links it has zero free-play.

I didn't make a pattern for the servo tray (wish I did). I just started to make cutouts using pieces of buisness cards and cardboard. Then I started a trial-and-error fitting procedure. If you have some patience, it can be done.

The picture of the strange looking wood thing is a tool I made up just for the Cessna. The first time I attempted to mount that big heavy wing, I was all by my lonesome and couldn't get my paws into the fuse to hook up the wiring connectors. My tool is used to lift and hold the wing assembly. The pointy ends of the tool go into the wing mounting holes in the both the fuse and the wing. It's made from some scrap pieces of 1/2" and 1/4" dowl rod.

Joe M.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41318.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	1621249   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43675.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	1621250   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51782.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	1621251  
Old 06-09-2011, 04:09 PM
sailor05

I don't know Sonny, what do you think? You gonna do it?
Old 06-09-2011, 07:33 PM
jet22b

sailor05,
Looking at Joe M. pictures, got me thinking and looking in my scrap wood bend. I see how he did the servo tray and looking at the hook up is going to be fun!!!
Now to put the old brain to work!!

Joe M.
Thanks for the pictures. I think I will go with your wing tool, too!! I will post some pictures tomorrow to show how my build is going!! I did have one small problem. There was no rudder control arm in my kit, but, not to get upset, I had a control arm for nose wheel string that work very well My 2 Evo .60NX will be in tomorrow and I can hang them. Then I will have to wait untill Tower Hobby Have the Robart gears that are made for this bird, back in-stock!!![]
Over all, I am very happy with this ARF, and I can not wait to see her in the air!!
Have a great weekend of flying everyone!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 06-10-2011, 03:54 AM
JoeMamma

ORIGINAL: jet22b

I did have one small problem. There was no rudder control arm in my kit, but, not to get upset.
Sonny
aka
jet22b
[/quote]

The rudder steering arm was missing from my kit also ?? I remember a trip to the hobby shop and buying maybe four or five different arms.

I can't remember the size of the support wire used on the rudder, so you will need to measure the O.D. before purchasing any new arms.

If you look close, in one of the pictures you can see an additional (second) white nylon block used to support that rudder wire. The hole in the white nylon block supplied with the kit was a little large. This caused a little free-play. My second additional nylon block brought this free-play down to zero.

Have Fun !!

Joe M.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:43 PM
sailor05

Sonny, Tower has the Robarts in stock in limited quantities. I just ordered mine.

sailor05,
Looking at Joe M. pictures, got me thinking and looking in my scrap wood bend. I see how he did the servo tray and looking at the hook up is going to be fun!!!

Joe M.
Thanks for the pictures. I think I will go with your wing tool, too!! I will post some pictures tomorrow to show how my build is going!! I did have one small problem. There was no rudder control arm in my kit, but, not to get upset, I had a control arm for nose wheel string that work very well My 2 Evo .60NX will be in tomorrow and I can hang them. Then I will have to wait untill Tower Hobby Have the Robart gears that are made for this bird, back in-stock!!![]
Over all, I am very happy with this ARF, and I can not wait to see her in the air!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 06-10-2011, 08:16 PM
jet22b

Sonny, Tower has the Robarts in stock in limited quantities. I just ordered mine.

sailor05,

Joe M.

Sonny
aka
jet22b
sailor05;
Thanks!!! I just receive the email from Tower and place my order!!!
Here are a few pictures of my build. Had lots of fun putting in the cockpit today!! As you can see my 2 EVO .60NX came today!! I will mount them tomorrow and then take them back off to start the break-in. Now to wait for the gears to come in.[] I must say, I love this plane!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b

Name:	Fd90941.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1621622   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52156.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	1621623   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78970.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	1621624   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga78253.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	1621625  
Old 06-11-2011, 08:26 PM
jet22b

Hi Guys;
Here are a few more pictures of my build. As you can see the engines are on the wings. Now to wait for the retracts to ship from Tower Hobby. Still looking at Joe M rudder setup!! I don't think I will go with the manual hook up for the elevator to the servo. A few years back I lost a P-51 with that setup!! Now to take a break and go flying tomorrow!!
One quick question, what wheels are people going with??? I just don't like the stock wheels!!!
Thanks guys!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b

Name:	Ca81803.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1622089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64662.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	1622090  
Old 06-11-2011, 09:00 PM
P-Y

I bought the wheel hubs to Meesh (Bob): they use the stock tires. I also bought to Meesh the exhaust extensions for the Bisson pitts mufflers.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:21 AM
Michael7810

I had a stock wheel hub break after about 5 landings. I went with the Sullivan Skylight 3.5" listed as optional on Tower's website. That was a year ago and many flights with zero problems. I highly recommend them. Still have not tried plugging one exhaust pipe...maybe next weekend. Thanks for keeping us posted
Old 06-12-2011, 04:40 PM
JoeMamma

One quick question, what wheels are people going with??? I just don't like the stock wheels!!!
Thanks guys!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Appears you are gittin' the job done !

After reading this tread and seeing the talk about the broken wheels that are supplied with the kit, I picked up a set of Robarts.

Did you leave all of the lead shot up in the nose ?

Joe M.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:08 PM
jet22b

Thanks guys!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Appears you are gittin' the job done !

After reading this tread and seeing the talk about the broken wheels that are supplied with the kit, I picked up a set of Robarts.

Did you leave all of the lead shot up in the nose ?

Joe M.
Joe M.
I think Top Flite had a talk with Great Planes!!! Great Planes Seawind have a ton of those lead shots. Now do I have to take them out???? I see how this plane pick up weight. The retracts are not in the wings yet, but, I think both wings are 2 to 3 lbs!! Thinks for the info on the wheels. I think I will go with your rudder servo setup. I just love the short rod setup. One quick question, did that servo change you over all C G range from the manual??
Thanks, again my friend!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 06-12-2011, 05:40 PM
FILE IFR

Got a question for you all...

For the guys running glow engines on your TF 310, are you using TwinSync to match the engines, or are you doing it the bare-bones, old school way?

A buddy of mine had a TF 310 for 2 years and sold it, he didn't have a TwinSync in it, but it ran just fine.

I'm just curious if some are using this appliance for their glow engines.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Michael7810

I am not using twin sync. I have each throttle on a separate channel and manually sync the RPM at idle, half, and full throttle and it does just fine. Even when they are off a few hundred rpm I can't tell the difference in how it flies, just how it sounds. If I was building a new ARF I would probably use twin sync just to make it easier.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:41 PM
jet22b

Michael7810;
My setup will be the same as yours!! Throttles on separate channel and manually set the RPM on both with a tach!!! I did look at the twin sync!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 06-13-2011, 06:58 PM
jet22b

Joe M,
Here are a few pictures of my rudder setup in the tail The hard part will be to hook up the rudder control arm to the servo arm, I did pick up some ball link from my local hobby shop today. See what you think and let me know.
Thanks my friend!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b

Name:	Nl28606.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1623064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68604.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1623065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78593.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1623066  
Old 06-14-2011, 03:35 PM
JoeMamma

Joe M,
Here are a few pictures of my rudder setup in the tail The hard part will be to hook up the rudder control arm to the servo arm, I did pick up some ball link from my local hobby shop today. See what you think and let me know.
Thanks my friend!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Lookin' Good !

Yeah.........the most difficult part of the job was the last part............tieing in the rudder steering arm to the servo arm. Once you get that problem resolved you've got it licked. I love those little Dubro ball links. The ball links are multiple axis so they are a great help. Make sure to use 4-40 links and not 2-56.

Joe M.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:49 PM
JoeMamma

ORIGINAL: FILE IFR

Got a question for you all...

For the guys running glow engines on your TF 310, are you using TwinSync to match the engines, or are you doing it the bare-bones, old school way?

A buddy of mine had a TF 310 for 2 years and sold it, he didn't have a TwinSync in it, but it ran just fine.

I'm just curious if some are using this appliance for their glow engines.

I didn't use TwinSync. Instead, I put the right engine throttle servo on channel #3 and the left throttle servo on channel #8. I can then individually set and adjust each of the engines idle speed and wide-open-throttle positions using the radios' rotary knobs. I don't need a tach. I can tell by the sweet sound when those 4-strokes are running in unison.

I can't vouch for JR, Airtronics or HiTech as I'm using a 10C Futaba, but, I've set up a number of twins using separate servos. To get individual throttle control on each engine servo if using a Futaba, you must be using at least a 9C or better Futaba.

Joe M.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:09 PM
jet22b

Joe M,
Thanks my friend!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Lookin' Good !

Yeah.........the most difficult part of the job was the last part............tieing in the rudder steering arm to the servo arm. Once you get that problem resolved you've got it licked. I love those little Dubro ball links. The ball links are multiple axis so they are a great help. Make sure to use 4-40 links and not 2-56.

Joe M.
Joe M.
I pick up the last 2 sets of 4-40 links he had in-stock. Now to seat down and rack my brain on the hook up. I must say this is going to be a sweet setup. Thanks again for letting me copy your mod on the rudder servo. Now the to wait on the retracts to come. That will give me time to start breaking in the engines!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 06-18-2011, 02:36 PM
jet22b

Hi Guys,
Well getting close to the finish line on this bird!! Joe M., the rudder servo is in and hook-up to the rudder control horn and work so sweet.!! Thank you again for the picture of your setup!!! It was a big help. As for the weight she is at 17.5 lbs without the gear. Test the lights today and found out the tail light do not work.[] I think it is burn out and I don't see anyway to change it. Now to do a good job on the servo wiring, so that it will look very clean on the inside. One question, did anyone find away to hook-up the wheel well doors so they can work like on the full scale bird??
Thanks, again!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b

Name:	Yw68518.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	1624814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89282.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	1624815   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63475.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	1624816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93989.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	1624817   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71804.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	1624818  
Old 06-21-2011, 02:16 AM
pattism
My Feedback: (6)

Hello all,
I'm new to twins and would like to build an electric.

My plan was the Top Flite Cessna 310, with counter-rotation 3-Blade props @ 15x10, powered each by A50-12L Motors on 90Amp ESC's with 6S-5000-20C's.Ireally want flight times over 6 minutes... Iwas thinking 0.5-0.75 throttle could do this, with the possibility to do some light acrobatics.I would take out the lead in the nose and put my flight battery there to get CG needs.

But I’ve seen the Baron, and was thinking I could do a similar build using 2xS5000-20C on A50-14S with 3-Blade prop also.

My first question is if my setups are okay?

My other questions are…
Where is a good scale 3-Blade prop? - Ideally with variable pitch? - I'm not finding anything in the 15" range.
Which one of these planes flies better/easier?-What are their different characteristics?
Which one will give me longer flight time?
Can these planes do “light” acrobatics?
Which plane would be faster? - That’s part of the fun factor too :-)

Any help and direction would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:26 PM
rwashington127
My Feedback: (22)

Does anyone have any parts for the 310? I need both nacelles and the left wing tip...lost an engine on a touch and go and went into the runway pretty hard. Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.