Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Redcat-what's the deal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 04:28 PM
electricrc68
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat-what's the deal?

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

reading threw here, its clear that many who put down redcat have never owned one, or only owned just 1. you cant judge a brand on just 1 model you owned!

i had a traxxas nitro sport SE as my 1st RC. It was NOT a good truck. broke something every other time i ran it. motor was a pain to keep tuned.
But i like traxxas. I have owned xl5's, vxl's and a emaxx. all of which i liked.

One comment that shows some ignorance was that redcat uses junk electronics.
That may hold true of the few brushed models. the ESC and motors are very basic.
But their brushless stuff is almost all hobbywing ezrun stuff now.

Some of the servos they have used in the past had issues, but they are addressing that.

nearly all their models now have 2.4ghz radios. same as the flysky 2.4 sold on hobbypartz.com.

They recently changed many models to banana 4.0 plugs. while these may not be as popular as deans or the traxxas plug, they are better for handling the power than tamiya plugs.

their 1/8 scale nitros are decent trucks for the money. their are some other brands that may be better(dont know, as i havent run them) that are in the same price range. but you wont be wasting your money on a 3.5 or the professional series.
thier 1/10 scale nitros are OK. Not high end, but fun.

I know that some will say " oh, but he is a dealer"
well, i became one after owning 5 of their models and liking them. they dont break any more often than my traxxas vxl's.

Most of redcat's models are imported from china. However, they worked with another company to design the ground pounder. no-one else has that truck, it belongs to redcat and redcat alone.
Even some other models that you may find exceed or himoto selling are not always completely identical. redcat sometimes has the manufacturer use different electronics or different molds for certain parts.

Redcat is the underdog. They have been in biz for only 7 years or so. They are still learning.
As the underdog, there will always be haters. And as a "lower cost" Rc company, there will be many newbs who buy a redcat cause of the price and then blame Redcat for problems instead of admitting that it was their lack of knowledge.

I personally have enjoyed my Redcat just as much as the traxxas, HPI, tamiyas i have owned.

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000000000000

i love my redcat and traxxas.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:31 PM
electricrc68
Banned

my first HPI sucked. i don't hate HPI for it, i would still buy a car from them. i have been thinking about getting a HPI again even though my first impression with them was crap.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:36 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: electricrc68

my first HPI sucked. i don't hate HPI for it, i would still buy a car from them. i have been thinking about getting a HPI again even though my first impression with them was crap.
which HPI?
only one I know which was complete crap recently was the EB10
Old 05-23-2011, 04:37 PM
electricrc68
Banned

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

which HPI?
only one I know which was complete crap recently was the EB10
idk it was some monster truck....i forget which one. it was quite a while ago.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:39 PM
electricrc68
Banned

i can tell you though why it sucked. it was partially my fault and partially hpi's fault. it was my fault because i had no clue what i was doing. but, hpi didn't construct it nicely. i would drive it very slowly; not hard, and when it would rollover or hit something, the front bumper snaps in half, then the suspension arm breaks on a rollover and so on.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:30 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

i can tell you though why it sucked. it was partially my fault and partially hpi's fault. it was my fault because i had no clue what i was doing. but, hpi didn't construct it nicely. i would drive it very slowly; not hard, and when it would rollover or hit something, the front bumper snaps in half, then the suspension arm breaks on a rollover and so on.
sure it was HPI?
list of monster trucks they made (nitro & electric)
Savage .21 - Savage XL
E-Savage
Savage flux
Wheelie king
Monster King

Stadium Trucks
HPI Electric MT1
HPI RS4 Nitro MT1
HPI RS4 Nitro MT2
HPI Firestorm
Nitro Rush

weird thing is most the older ST's don't even have bumpers to crack.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:08 AM
stevenwilliams

I've owned a number of manufacturers cars over the years. I may be new to this site but I have about 5 years experience of 'proper' RC cars.

I've owned multiple cars from each of the following manufacturers (Xray, Thunder tiger, HPI, Traxxas, Kyosho and Tamiya). I've never purchased a car without having to go out and purchase upgrades or replacement parts after using them for any period of time.

You would not purchase a car in RTR spec and not expect to perform upgrades or replace broken parts. If you do then this really is not the hobby for you.

The fact is no manufacturer produces a car that is bullet proof and does not require some changes to get it working as well as it could/should.

I currently own a few cars (2x HPI, 1xThunder Tiger and a BSD land Ripper) The Land ripper I own is exactly the same as the Redcat Backdraft 8E. how do I know they are the same? I've actually had both in my hands and bashed them at the same location on the same day. We (the Redcat owner and I) event went to the lengths of weighing them and they were the same weight minus a few gramms.

Are redcats any good?
Well I think of my BSD as a fun basher. Nothing more. It's nearly complete out of the box (in the UK you don't get te lipo charger and thats a bonus if you ask me). It's also very fast in stock setup. I also have raced it in the 1/8th class at my local rc track. I got 2nd place against cars costing 10x what mine did. Everyone including myself was very shocked at this result.

Could it be improved?
Yes.
I'll include parts and delivered prices in UKP and USD for comparison.

The steering has to much slop for me so I changed the steering to use bearings.. Slop gone. cost £1 ($1.60)
Motor gets hot when used full throttle for 30 mins.. Solution = Add BSD heatsink and fan.  (BS803-029, BS803-030) cost £13 ($20.80)

I've also firmed up the suspension with anti rollbars front and back. (BS903-021, BS905-009, 4x BS903-029) Cost £19 ($30.40)

Have I broken parts?
Yes. I broke the rear suspension mount on a hard landing whilst bashing and replaced it with the alum equiv (MP0-07) cost £9 ($14.40) I also broke a body post (BB701-034)  when my 7 year old son accidentaly sat on the car. cost £3 ($4.80)
The ESC went up in smoke one day when I was running it hard. This was replaced with no question asked with an upgraded unit.

I purchased the car for £195 ($312) from a local hobby store (Sussex Model Center) that is able to supply parts with a 2 day turnaround if they don't have it in stock. I mainly use a company called  BlackSmith Products for spares as the prices include delivery and they are normally delivered next day.

I use this car most weekends plus the odd extra day and use 2 sets of batteries (3200mah 20C OEM that came with it and a set of 5000mah 50c Turnigy lipos) I've probably run about 50 sets of batteries through it now and the above is all I've had to replace on the car.

Parts are very cheap for these cars. Heck the full and complete differentials (BS803-019, BS803-025) costs only £13($20.80) each.

I know the plastics don't feel the best but I've had some very bad landings and I've not found them to be any weaker than those from other manufacturers.
Where this car needs strength they have fixed at the cost of weight. (Thicker plastic rather than nylon strengthened). My Kyosho buggy has smashed dogbones and wishbones with softer landings.

These are cheap cars that come ready to have a great time with. They are not the best but are so simple to work on and parts are far cheaper than competitors parts that I really think unless you are racing them you'd be hard pushed to beat them right now.

I'd challenge anyone with a competitors car to state that they have not had to replace parts or purchase bits to complete a car or if they have I bet they cost a heck of a lot more than the Redcats do.

Also if you havn't broken parts then you really are not driving the car hard enough.

if you really want to see what these cars are capable of then just search for them on Youtube.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:37 PM
gohstwrighter

the thing about redcat is its cheep i have seen just as manny traxxas ,hpi,ofna,and assoiated cars broke down for sale on  the net as anny thing ells every one may rave about anny rc but win you git down to the nity grity of it all most have nearly no original parts .
 its like traxxas you can spend $400-500 for a true name brand truck or $300 for a desent knockoff  whin you plan on giting a diferant engion /all new drive trane, new tx/rx , new servos,  and after markit  aluminum parts what your left with is two complitly diferant cars.you may call it a traxxas but its not the real traxxas the real traxxas has to be repared just as much as the redcat  thay dont tune the same becouse ther carburators and cylander sleavs are diferant put a traxxas carb and a sleave in a redcat and thay will tune nearly the same
so what it comes down to is red cat doesent  have all the other bs a big name brands have ware traxxas has 30 or more aftermarkit makers, redcat may have one or two thats the big diferance.
p.s. sorry about the grammer
Old 05-25-2011, 04:38 AM
ImpalaPolicePack

that was hard to understand(and made no sense), and your grammar is worst than mine - and i speak french...
Old 05-25-2011, 07:52 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: gohstwrighter

the thing about redcat is its cheep i have seen just as manny traxxas ,hpi,ofna,and assoiated cars broke down for sale on the net as anny thing ells every one may rave about anny rc but win you git down to the nity grity of it all most have nearly no original parts .
its like traxxas you can spend $400-500 for a true name brand truck or $300 for a desent knockoff whin you plan on giting a diferant engion /all new drive trane, new tx/rx , new servos, and after markit aluminum parts what your left with is two complitly diferant cars.you may call it a traxxas but its not the real traxxas the real traxxas has to be repared just as much as the redcat thay dont tune the same becouse ther carburators and cylander sleavs are diferant put a traxxas carb and a sleave in a redcat and thay will tune nearly the same
so what it comes down to is red cat doesent have all the other bs a big name brands have ware traxxas has 30 or more aftermarkit makers, redcat may have one or two thats the big diferance.
p.s. sorry about the grammer
I'm not sure if the misspellings are purposeful, seeing your nick is even horrendously misspelled, and all the misspellings are consistent through the whole post, or if you dropped out of grammar school.

Anyways outside that not everyone puts parts on a RC that break. Case in point My ofna jammin X1x I have a different servo, different radio, and swapped in the braces that come stock on the pro version. Does those part changes make it a different vehicle? No its still a jammin X1x CR. Did they originals break? Nope I swapped them out before it was 1st ran Now how much price difference did I spend for a name brand RC over the closest redcat AFTER parts I threw on that were not needed about $50 difference So Should I pay $270 for a knockoff RC, or $300 for a name brand RC? I went and paid $50 more(with the upgrades) for a RC that hasn't broke since last February, and has been beaten on

HPI Wheely king, swapped the electronics out to waterproof ones. Is it still a wheely king? Yup. Have any parts broke? nope, and I drove it in the winter when it was 10 degrees out jumping of 2 foot high snow mounds into concrete

There are other reason the name brands charge a premium. THEY DESIGN THEIR OWN RC'S. R&D costs A LOT of money, unlike redcat who just calls up HSP and has them anodize the HSP parts a different color, slap a different painted shell on, and a new name. HSP spreads the cost among many re-badgeing companies (himoto, exceed, acme, and a qite a few others)
Old 05-25-2011, 09:51 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've posted in this thread once before and I am a Redcat owner. I also have about 15 other brands so I'm not a fan boy. Anyway. A couple of weekends ago the weather here was nice. Cold but clear so a bunch of us got together and headed up to the local outdoor track. I took a couple of my SCT's and a couple of old school tamiya's as I expected it would just be a small group of us since it's so early in the season. My buddies brought everything from stock tamiya's to High End converted 1/8 scale buggies.

When we got to the track there were about 10 guys running already. Nothing serious just having fun. We all ran together for about an hour and one of the guys grabbed a 2WD buggy. It was wearing Proline tires and a B4 body so no big deal. After a couple of warm up laps and some adjustments he asked if anyone wanted to do a real race. Enough guy had brought buggies so they decided too run. I didn't have a 2WD buggy with me that would compete so I marshaled. Three laps into the race this guy was 10 secs ahead of the field and pulling away when he hit a jump badly and landed directly in front me on his lid. being upside down it was obvious it was not a B4. It had a battery door on the bottom?!?!?!?!!!!???? I got the car going and he finished the race almost a full lap ahead of the 2nd place car and in lap traffic.

Afterward I asked him what the car was and he said it was the Twister XB from Redcat. I was shocked. I asked what he did to it and he said it was 100% except for tires and shock oil... Now this guy is a pretty good driver. Not the best that was at the track that day but very good non the less. What was more impressive was the lap times. His 5th lap was .40 sec away from the fastest lap recorded by a mod 2wd 1.10 scale buggy on that track layout.

I would have to say that the latest crop or Redcats are a far cry from where they started.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:51 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^thats what i like to hear.

when i tell some guys at the LHS that i run redcats, the chuckle. dont know why so many have such a bad impression of redcats.
anyway, once i run my earthquake 8e (4s lipo brushless MT) up and down the track a couple of times, the guys change their attitude.

i dont expect people to start loving redcats. there are still some weak points on some of their models. but the cost of the models (for what you get) is very good. for the price of a rustler XL-5(brushed) you can get the twister which is 2.4ghz, brushless and RTR.
now, im not saying the twister is "better" than a rustler. rustlers are nearly bulletproof. but the twister costs less and is faster out of the box!
i will never understand the haters. except that redcat is an underdog.

im still hoping redcat will come out with a shaft driven rock crawler. something that could go head-to-head with the ax10.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:59 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM
There are other reason the name brands charge a premium. THEY DESIGN THEIR OWN RC'S. R&D costs A LOT of money, unlike redcat who just calls up HSP and has them anodize the HSP parts a different color, slap a different painted shell on, and a new name. HSP spreads the cost among many re-badgeing companies (himoto, exceed, acme, and a qite a few others)
gotta correct you alittle there syco. while SOME of the models are rebranded HSP, that is not the case with even half of the redcat lineup.
also, even tho redcat doesn't manufacture the models, they DO take part in design. they sometimes pay extra $$$ to have the mfg company make parts a certain way (they pay for the special mold)

the ground pounder is 100% property of redcat. they designed it. no-one else sells it.

Redcat's 1/5 scale line is on par with HPI and others. They have put alot of testing and prototyping to to them.

And the biggest difference to me between redcat and the others(himoto, exceed ect) is that redcat provides a 90 day warrenty on the electronics.
good luck trying to get exceed to replace a bad servo or ESC!

Anyway, i have spoken with the owner and he is working to move the company to sell models that are 100% their own design. as you mentioned, R&D is costly and takes time. But redcat is growing, their sales are climbing and this is allowing the company to look at producing their own designs.

and when it comes down to it, does it matter if redcat makes the model? if it runs well, is affordable and is supports(both parts support and warrenty) then who cares where it was made and what company designed it. some might care i guess. i dont
Old 05-25-2011, 12:26 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

well, i have been informed by someone that i may be off on the ground pounder, that it was still designed by HSP.
but this is what redcat says about it:
the Ground Pounder! Developed, prototyped, and tested by Crawford Performance Engineering, the Ground Pounder comes packed with features commonly found only on fully customized trucks.

so, maybe i was off in saying that redcat designed it. but they are the only ones who sell it and id be willing to bet they played a roll in the design choices.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:39 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

well, i have been informed by someone that i may be off on the ground pounder, that it was still designed by HSP.
but this is what redcat says about it:
the Ground Pounder! Developed, prototyped, and tested by Crawford Performance Engineering, the Ground Pounder comes packed with features commonly found only on fully customized trucks.

so, maybe i was off in saying that redcat designed it. but they are the only ones who sell it and id be willing to bet they played a roll in the design choices.
I'm guessing they have a limited contract with HSP to have so long to sell it before anyone else gets dibs

Or its not that great of a seller, and no one wants it. I've seen a few exceeds(when trying to help people name what their random RC is) that redcat, and himoto don't sell. As well as a few himotos redcat, and exceed don't sell, but they were all definitely made by HSP.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:24 PM
xerxes

i nevr bought a new losi or traxxas vehikle. but i bought a new redcat truk.

& aftr da slider/ highroller/ strike& speed t fiasco, il nevr buy a losi vehicle, new or used, evr agen.

team losi was awesom.

losi jus plain sux
Old 06-11-2011, 05:34 PM
cpe mt

Actually, The Ground Pounder was fully designed by us in a partnership to be released as a Redcat product. Redcat has 100% exclusivity to this design.

There are many minor differences between newer Redcat products and other brands offering similar vehicles. These differences can be plastic compounds, chassis/suspension design, electronics, etc. It's true that not all the new vehicles are designed in full by Redcat (yet), but each vehicle is reviewed in prototype form and requested improvements are then relayed to the factory prior to production starting. These changes are typically exclusive to Redcat as others have mentioned. The RS10-XT crawler is a good example of this.