Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aeroworks Vendor Forum
Reload this Page >

OMG…just weighed my AW planes

Community
Search
Notices
Aeroworks Vendor Forum This is the place to go for all your questions concerning anything Aeroworks. Rocco, Mark, and the rest of the Aeroworks staff will be manning this forum so that they can answer all your questions.

OMG…just weighed my AW planes

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 09:47 AM
5150flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMG…just weighed my AW planes

I have flown and enjoyed AW planes for years. Never thought they were great for 3D, but sure enjoy them for IMAC and how well they are built. The weather this spring has been bad; so I thought I might weigh my planes. I used a digital scale by Taylor (TE22), sells for about $80. I weighed the fuse, canopy and wings separately.

Years ago, I owned a second generation AW 50cc Yak which had NiCAD batteries and stock everything else – it was a good 1.5 lbs lighter.

I know some may say: "this guy just builds heavy". Well I must have canisters to meet noise numbers at one of my clubs. Other than that this is a basic/light setup and I invested in CF upgrades.

AW 50cc Yak 19 ¼ lbs
(AW website: Weight 16.5 to 17.5 lbs)

DA50 w/ canister
1 x A123 for RX w/ dual switches
1 x 2300 NiMH for ignition
CF wing tube
CF stab tubes
Stock landing gear no wheel pants
42% ignition kill

AW 50cc Extra 260 17 1/8 lbs
(AW website: Weight 16 to 17 lbs)

DA50 w/ canister
1 x A123 for RX w/ dual switches
Syssa IBEC for ignition
CF wing tube
CF stab tubes
Stock landing gear with wheel pants

I sure would be interested in your comments and suggestions!!!

Ignorance was bliss...
Old 06-08-2011, 02:16 PM
djmille
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: OMG…just weighed my AW planes

You will rarely get an ARF to come in at the advertised weight. Built up kits are a bit different and have a lot more variables. You typically want to add around 5-8% to highest advertised weight figure for a realistic RTF dry weight. Advertised weights, of course assume minimal everything, lightest engine, wood prop, lightest spinner, minimal batteries, no smoke, no pilot, no panel and sometimes no wheel pants since they are considered by many to by "optional".

I had the AW QB 150cc Extra 260. It was 42 lbs with stock landing gear, DA 150, MTW cans. If you subtract the canister and header weight you would be around 40. This was with minimal servos (only two on rudder, one on each stab, and two on each wing). If you take the highest advertised weight (38) and add 5% (1.9 lbs) you would get right at 39.9 lbs, or really close to the lightest weight I could get (stock equipment, stock mufflers, no pilot, no panel, no smoke). If I would have flown it with only one receiver battery (bad idea), then it would weigh 39.6 lbs.
-DJ
Old 06-12-2011, 04:22 PM
FlyStraight

This issue with false weight advertising came up recently with the AW extra 300 made for ep, gas or glow. It's advertised weight is like a pound lighter than actual weight. AW doesn't care enough to edit their website to reflect this. My AW 50cc yak with dle stock muffler came out to be 19lb. I have very simple and light setup. But the plane flies very well for that much weight so I don't care.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:29 PM
Lins

My 75cc Extra 260 is a hair over 24 lbs just using a bathroom scale, they advertise 20-21 lbs. I have a ZDZ Super 80, pitts style muffler, aluminum spinner, pilot, dash panel, 27x10 Xoar wood prop, and 3x 2700mah nimh batteries. No weight added, no CF upgrades at this point. Eep.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:01 AM
Lins

Does anyone know exactly how much weight you can ACTUALLY shed by adding carbon fibre spinner, tubes, main and tail gear? For the $300, it better be worth it!
Old 07-19-2011, 01:32 PM
5150flyer

I already invested in CF wing and stab tubes and you can see my planes are not exactly light weight. Now I am wondering about CF landing gear.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:16 PM
Lins

Well, I gutted the canister tunnel and that netted me about 150g along with the access panels to it. I just covered up the holes with covering material. Might try some carbon pieces this winter to lighten it up.

Edit: I might remove the pilot, dash and some of the cockpit material as well. Don't get me wrong, it still flies light but, the lighter, the better!
Old 07-27-2011, 01:32 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought a brand new Extra 260 50cc in original red to replace my 5 year old Extra that was a V1 but otherwise identical. I took the DA50 and all radio gear from the old and put it into the new one. Same with the gas tank etc. My old plane, after lord knows how many repairs and such, weighed in at 17lbs 3ozs. The new one weighed in at 18lbs 3ozs dry. That's a bunch of difference and prompted me to look for the increase. Well the wings weigh 5ozs each more than the old ones, for a total of 10ozs, leaving the rest for the fuse. I can see where the landing gear mount mods made some difference but not that much. Not sure where the rest of it is to be found but a pound makes a huge difference in the way the plane flies especially 3D. Again, as I mentioned, this is with the EXACT same hardware (engine, radio gear, etc) from the old V1 bird. WOW is my input to go with the OMG. These things need a diet, bad!
Old 07-27-2011, 04:01 PM
Lins

That does not surprise me. Same in the full size world, newer S/N's only get heavier as the manufacturer finds weak points and upgrades as necessary.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:32 PM
5150flyer

I had the same experience with an AW 50cc Yak. My first one was a V2 and when it took a dirt nap a few years later I replaced it. Same setup and I gained 1.5 lbs and that is AFTER buying CF wing/stab tubes. AW did redesign the landing gear mounts which IMO was a waste of effort. The old design worked just fine with the included re-enforcement kit. And the V2 plane flew better on my DA50, I wish I still had it.

Suggestion for AW....

Buy an EF or 3DHS plane and study how they make their planes light. Then go back and re-engineer your old 50cc Extra 260 and YAK. Those two planes are my all time favorites, but today they are built with old technology and heavy wood.

I still think AW makes a great product, but I would trade both my AW planes in on an older/lighter model.

ORIGINAL: Jezmo

I just bought a brand new Extra 260 50cc in original red to replace my 5 year old Extra that was a V1 but otherwise identical. I took the DA50 and all radio gear from the old and put it into the new one. Same with the gas tank etc. My old plane, after lord knows how many repairs and such, weighed in at 17lbs 3ozs. The new one weighed in at 18lbs 3ozs dry. That's a bunch of difference and prompted me to look for the increase. Well the wings weigh 5ozs each more than the old ones, for a total of 10ozs, leaving the rest for the fuse. I can see where the landing gear mount mods made some difference but not that much. Not sure where the rest of it is to be found but a pound makes a huge difference in the way the plane flies especially 3D. Again, as I mentioned, this is with the EXACT same hardware (engine, radio gear, etc) from the old V1 bird. WOW is my input to go with the OMG. These things need a diet, bad!
Old 07-31-2011, 05:00 AM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I can't understand is why the wings weigh any more at all. I have pounded my original Extra in ways that should have broken the wings but after five years they are still fine. If anyone was breaking the original wings then it was a quality control issue not a problem of needing more structure - IE MORE WEIGHT (5oz per wing half). The original was at the upper limit of weight for decent 3D and sound flight characteristics. Having to carry around one more pound takes it from being a great flying model, to being a real PIG. I won't make that mistake again. I believe the old saying goes, screw me once shame on you, screw me twice shame on ME!
Old 07-31-2011, 06:26 AM
Lins

I think it's actually 'fool me once....' . Perhaps different wood is being used now?
Old 09-07-2011, 09:52 AM
5150flyer

I like my AW planes so I have been working to get the weight down. I should be able to get 1/2 lbs. out of each. Once I am done, I will post my results.

I have noticed that my 3DHS plane and my friend's EF are starting to show their age after one season of flying. The AW planes look and work as well as they did last spring.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:53 PM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I am just 14 flights into my AW Ultimate 50cc. I was real happy to find it weighs 18# while the AW site says the weight ranges from 17.5#-18.5#, so I am right in the middle. I do think I can use a little nose weight, but the plane is very flyable as is. Jon
Old 10-03-2011, 08:45 AM
5150flyer

The GraphTech landing gear for the AW 50cc Yak54 saves 5 oz. I just installed it this weekend.

My 50cc Extra 260 ia now under 17 lbs. and the Yak54 is under 19 lbs. I will post final figures when I am done. I will say that I have spent some serious money on CF to get the lower numbers, but have also done some less expensive modifications like removing unneeded tuned pipe tunnels.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:13 AM
rktman56

Over the years I've owned several Aeroworks models. They are, and I tell members of my club, that they are built like a tank! They are built very strong and can stand up to many years of "not so skilled" flying. With the added reinforcement comes the increase in weight. But weight doesn't tell the complete story.

What we really need to be concerned with is WING LOADING. The Aeroworks 50cc Yak for example measures out to be a 29% model. With it's smaller wing span and wing area, it has a higher wing loading than other 50cc sized Yaks (30%) on the market. With my Aeroworks 50cc Yak it weighs in at just below 19 lbs. and flys very "fat". With a DA50R and a Vess 23A it's punch out of a hover is very bad. But the plane is still one of my favorite planes to fly... so go figure.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:44 AM
Old School Flyer

When you compare, 3DHs and Extreme, and such to these airplanes, the difference is large,  the AW cowls are thicker, the canopy is thicker, sheathing is thicker..... and so on.

my 3DHs is a paperthin you look at if funny..... it cracks, if I were QuiQue, or unload planes every month,  then maybe fine.

BUT for everyday flyer, the AW is the way to go IMO.  In the end it depends on what you want.  I own several models, AW has been my choice for daily flyers.  BUT the others I own as well, and use them as the once a month birds..... just don't have the staying power
Old 01-26-2012, 02:30 PM
bemeson

ORIGINAL: Old School Flyer

When you compare, 3DHs and Extreme, and such to these airplanes, the difference is large, the AW cowls are thicker, the canopy is thicker, sheathing is thicker..... and so on.

my 3DHs is a paperthin you look at if funny..... it cracks, if I were QuiQue, or unload planes every month, then maybe fine.

BUT for everyday flyer, the AW is the way to go IMO. In the end it depends on what you want. I own several models, AW has been my choice for daily flyers. BUT the others I own as well, and use them as the once a month birds..... just don't have the staying power
I totally agree with your post. I have also owned AW planes as well as other manufactures. As of lately, I am flying a GW Sbach. The canopy is paper thin, the covering that claims to be ultra coat is much thinner than AW. It is no wonder AW planes are a bit heavier, but they will with stand the test of time.

Brian
Old 01-26-2012, 03:06 PM
Lins

ORIGINAL: bemeson

ORIGINAL: Old School Flyer

When you compare, 3DHs and Extreme, and such to these airplanes, the difference is large, the AW cowls are thicker, the canopy is thicker, sheathing is thicker..... and so on.

my 3DHs is a paperthin you look at if funny..... it cracks, if I were QuiQue, or unload planes every month, then maybe fine.

BUT for everyday flyer, the AW is the way to go IMO. In the end it depends on what you want. I own several models, AW has been my choice for daily flyers. BUT the others I own as well, and use them as the once a month birds..... just don't have the staying power
I totally agree with your post. I have also owned AW planes as well as other manufactures. As of lately, I am flying a GW Sbach. The canopy is paper thin, the covering that claims to be ultra coat is much thinner than AW. It is no wonder AW planes are a bit heavier, but they will with stand the test of time.

Brian

I agree, they are a tough and durable plane, and I'm sure the design gains weight over time as they modify and reinforce, but AW should update the weights they advertise accordingly.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Old School Flyer

I never weighed any of mine but the hardware that I have used in them is rather standard   
If the weight estimates are that inaccurate then I must agree with you they should be present to us accordingly.  It may cost some sales but it would be a better business practice IMHO 
Old 03-23-2012, 06:48 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I know this is an older thread. but I just finished a 50CC AW Extra 300 With DA-60, pitts muffler , both batteries, regulator, ready to fly. i am just over 17lbs. This is toward the low end of the recommended weight for this plane. Only thing i have not installed is the decals. This being my first 50cc and first AW plane, I am very happy with the weight.

david
Old 03-23-2012, 07:00 AM
5150flyer

You should be happy with that weight....nice job!
Old 04-09-2012, 07:21 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

As a foot note,i test flew the Extra on Sunday. The power to weight ratio is far beyond what I expected. I only did one full power verticle, but was more than impressed with it. The ratio has to be better than 2:1. I was also impressed with just how it flew. Hover was easy, knife edge had a little opposite roll, but was nearly straight, rolls were dead on. This is a really good airframe. With the CG @4" and trimmed for straight and level, inverted flight was only a slight drop with hands off. My normal trim is for the plane to drop a little in upright flight.(personal prefference) If I did this it would climb a little inverted. So 4" has to be really close to the sweet spot. Once the motor breaks in and I get the right prop, this thing is going to be unreal!!

David