Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Austars 97" Piper Pawnee

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Austars 97" Piper Pawnee

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 04:49 AM
pc55bomber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Austars 97

ORIGINAL: witooa

Hi Paul
Yes it is a very light airframe for the size, I guess they cater for electrec these days. I have a 1/4 scale PT-19 Great planes ARF with a 120 Magnum its a lot heavier airframe,they weren't built for electrec them days, Looking forward to the pictures updates I meed good landing gear our field has the odd 1 or 2 rabbit holes to dodge. Have you any idea for a syray system to set it off, say talcom powder or similar ??
Cheers witooa.
You will definately need to beef up the landing gear to handle the rabbits or a rough strip.
There is not much structure between the LG and the firewall.
There are a few spray system designs somewhere on RCUniverse or RCGroups just do a search.
Have not done any spray systems at all.

Cheers
Paul
Old 09-11-2010, 04:56 AM
pc55bomber

ORIGINAL: SkyPilot101

Paul,the Pawnee is a nich plane, either love em or hate em I hate em but that is just me. The ag in huskey on the other hand is the ****! What kind is it? At 110'' it sounds sweet. Keep the rubber side down mate
Hi Skypilot
Have both the 110" and the new 120" AG Husky from Austars
Check these out here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7350980/tm.htm
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9405882/tm.htm
The Husky is my favourite plane.

Cheers
Paul
Old 09-12-2010, 01:56 AM
witooa

Yes Paul I have started to beef up the landing gear, with ply dublets each side under where you have your switch from the firewall back to the landing gear + a ply box over the under carriage (blind nuts), about 2"x 2"x 8 1/2" long filled with fome should give good support I hope. No I have not done any spray systems. Just thought it would be cool & set the Pawnee to a T. I did order a Sillivan onboard smoke pump last night from Hobby King, I guess that will be easier & have my spray bars on the wings to release smoke with a little bit of dye colour sounds good anyway. Like your idea for setting the CG looks simple. looking forward to the pictures of how you set up your landing gear. Cheers witooa.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:35 AM
bignuts181

Hi Paul I too have been eyeing this one off, glad I finally found the thread, has there been any word on the red white dogtooth scheeme on the web site, I'm kind of partial too it. Not sure how many pawnees you are allowed before you have a pawnee problem but I love my 40 size have been scratch building a 40% and have a 33% on the way...can I squeez one more in the shed?
Old 06-15-2011, 05:28 AM
blue77
My Feedback: (178)

Hello....I'm trying to decide on an agwagon type plane for a 30cc gas engine......so far RC Guys and the one discussed here...is the Austars the same as the Texas RC? Thanks, B7
Old 06-15-2011, 04:28 PM
pc55bomber

ORIGINAL: bignuts181

Hi Paul I too have been eyeing this one off, glad I finally found the thread, has there been any word on the red white dogtooth scheeme on the web site, I'm kind of partial too it. Not sure how many pawnees you are allowed before you have a pawnee problem but I love my 40 size have been scratch building a 40% and have a 33% on the way...can I squeez one more in the shed?
Hi Rosco
Dont know anything about the dogtooth one at all, but it looks nice for sure.
This Pawnee is nice and seems to be quite popular, performs well I am sure you would be happy with it, although you are into very large scale everything, I keep tabs on your builds, nice stuff indeed.

You can never have too many.......
Cheers
Paul

Old 06-15-2011, 04:35 PM
pc55bomber

ORIGINAL: blue77

Hello....I'm trying to decide on an agwagon type plane for a 30cc gas engine......so far RC Guys and the one discussed here...is the Austars the same as the Texas RC? Thanks, B7
Hi B7
Yep thats the exact same one, looks like he sells much of the same range as Austars.
30cc is a perfect size for this bird, I found that this plane was built everybit as good as any name brand on the market, one of the best ARF's I have ever had.
IMHO this is the best one around.
Hope this helps.

Cheers
Paul
Old 06-15-2011, 10:53 PM
bignuts181

Thanks for the reply Paul are you sure your not working for Austars ....the model should be fun with 50cc......what is your all up wieght? and any lead in the tail.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:37 AM
pc55bomber

Hi Rosco
Nah, I dont work for anyone but me.
I like plenty of power in my planes but 50cc would be a waste IMHO, although its a big airframe for the span its only lightweight, my MLD 28 drags it around fine.
Have not weighed it properly but I guess around 6Kg's would pull it up, so no need to MOP it.
No lead at all to balance, always my preference if possible.

Cheers
Paul
Old 06-16-2011, 03:50 AM
bignuts181

Hey there Paul, the way I was looking at it is I once built an esm all glass cessna 185 and shoehorned a DLE50 in the front.
It was the best most reliable tug I have owned, it was only 85" and 6.7kg so my thoughts were @ 97" and dragier should make a good reliable combination and I figure I can always throttle back...... the lighter wing loading should make it easier to land in tight spots like it's little brother so should make an ideal combination.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:16 AM
pc55bomber

OK I understand what your saying, however I wouldn't put a 50cc in it, your choice, you will need to beef up the engine box, the landing gear mounts etc. I would class this plane as a nice easy Sunday flier not a workhorse.

Using a 3mtr span Willie Monster (scratch built) as a dedicated tow plane, 2 actually, TMM 53cc and TMM 106cc powered, best flying towplane full stop IMHO, has a working U/C, tows nearly hands off, has performed flawlessly now for a few years.
Its not scale and we dont tow vertical, it just keeps on doing the job and is a pleasure to fly. Just about land it anywhere.
Cheers
Paul
Old 06-18-2011, 09:25 AM
blue77
My Feedback: (178)

Well, I should have one (Texas RC)coming in on the "big brown airplane truck" next week...I'm going to take several weeks or more to build, interesting that there is a thread on the Giant Scale forum for the Texas RC version, so I'll be following both threads with interest, going to use a DLE 30...Later, B7
Old 02-09-2012, 05:40 AM
Metcalfeclive

Hi Guys,

I am currently building one of these, detailed on another forum in the UK

http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/topic,88686.0.html

This looks to be the same plane, imported by YT International in the UK. I have built a number of 80-90" artf's over the last few years and this worries me. I have bought it for a bit of fun, flying quirky low slow aerobatics and I am worried about the solidity of the structure. I have overpowered it with a 50cc twin, I know that but the wing joiners in particular worry me as they seem very flimsy. I have actually ordered some alloy plate to cut out a set of alloy ones.

I was just wondering how you guys are getting on with yours after a couple of years.

Two people have already commented on my thread about possible structural defects with this plane.

CM