Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

*** Ultra Sport Brotherhood ***

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

*** Ultra Sport Brotherhood ***

Old 06-08-2011, 02:27 PM
BelAirBob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: *** Ultra Sport Brotherhood ***

The 1000 is obviously easier to see.....and the bigger the better....
Old 06-09-2011, 02:34 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

But if you have two planes traveling the same speed, the smaller one will appear to be faster
Old 06-09-2011, 04:02 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

But if you have two planes traveling the same speed, the smaller one will appear to be faster
All readers,

Ageed with MinnFlyer if they are at the same distance while being observed.

The further a model is the slower it appears to fly.

If they are observed flying in formation (simultaneous observation) then it is easy to compare.

In formation the closest one will appear to be gaining on the further one due to the angle of vision even though they have the same speed.

Zor
Old 06-09-2011, 06:42 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I never flew the 1000, or even seen one up close. Looks Like I have another goal in life.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:01 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: scottrc

I never flew the 1000, or even seen one up close. Looks Like I have another goal in life.
______

Old 06-09-2011, 09:52 PM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will need to find a wrap around header for the ST 2300; any suggestions since I think Karl Mueller is retired?
Old 06-09-2011, 10:14 PM
rglgatortail
My Feedback: (7)

I have no idea if they make such a muffler that you are looking for. The ST engine dont like to run upside down you will have fuel draw issues er i mean potential fuel draw issues. If you was to put the engine on its side and use Bisson Pitts style muffler you should be just fine. That is why my US1000 has been modified a little bit to use a cowl that hides a lot of the motor and almost all of the bisson pitts muffler. I guess you will have to shop around to find a muffler that you want to use. The smallest gas motor that you can look at without doing too much modding to the fuse of the US 1000 is the evolution 26 gx but it dont list a wrap around muffler. There are choices out there but the cheapest power plant out there to use is the super tigre 2300. A few places that i checked around, towerhobbies, horizonhobby and kangke industrial none of them lists a wrap around for a glow engine of that size, only pitts or inverted engine type pitts. Good luck with your shopping.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:28 PM
davidgeorge212

What do you guys think about putting a Roto Motor 35cc four stroke engine on an Ultra Sport 1000. Do you think thats to much engine for this plane? I know the nose of the ultrasport narrows down kind of small so it might be two big as far as the size of the case as well. I just wanted to see what you guys would think.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:02 PM
Roary m

Actually, the wrap around header would be utilized so as to let the cylinder sit horizontally, sticking out on the right side of the nose. Being a side exhaust engine, the ST would have the header travel around the cylinder with the end pointing to the horizontal stab and the attached tuned pipe (by rubber coupler)running down the side of the fuse. I do like the gas engine idea but I already have the engine. Over the years there have been specialty machinists that have made this type of header for different applications; Mueller, Johnson headers and others. There's never been a high demand for them outside of the pattern world but they do turn up from time to time. I could just put a conventional header on him and run the pipe under the fuse, but it just looks sloppy to me along with the work of attachment and detachment of the pipe to its cradle that would take place every time the wing is put on or taken off.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:06 AM
rglgatortail

I kinda think you are using the wrong terminology, wrap around muffler is what the name implies and is used for inverted. I think you are describing what you already explained and that is a tuned exhaust-pipe. Some engines as they are mounted either inverted or horizontally the header would bolt up and then head to the coupler and then to the tune pipe, which you already said but that is the name of that system a tune pipe, i dont believe it is to be called a wrap around. I did find pictures of appropriate mufflers and their purpose. When you said wrap around I kinda knew they didnt make one for the super tigre 2300 and your terminology well not unless there is a company that does make one I have no knowledge of it and for the super tigre it is a waste of money because that engine and its timing that engine dont like to turn up any more rpm than it does with a 17-6 imac prop. Now if someone has put a tuned muffler on a super tigre 2300 and got it to work and still running it today hey cool beans im just saying that i have never seen one made for a super tigre 2300 and that i have never seen one commercially made for that engine. Now with an os 160 fx i think i remember that they made a tuned muffler for that but you may have a hard time locating one because the few places that use to sell that muffler is no longer available.
Now lets say for a gas engine and it is a single cylinder for the most part the particular plane the engine is horizontally mounted then the muffler to be used i believe would be the pitts style muffler, but if the motor is inverted then the engine would use a wrap around because most of the time the pilot would want the exhaust to be routed toward the firewall mostly for what i would think for cosmetic reasons but they also have a straight down from the exhaust muffler.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22943.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	1621734   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw70960.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	1621735   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37697.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	1621736   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr47669.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	1621737  
Old 06-11-2011, 03:38 PM
box car

ORIGINAL: rglgatortail

I have no idea if they make such a muffler that you are looking for. The ST engine dont like to run upside down you will have fuel draw issues er i mean potential fuel draw issues. If you was to put the engine on its side and use Bisson Pitts style muffler you should be just fine. That is why my US1000 has been modified a little bit to use a cowl that hides a lot of the motor and almost all of the bisson pitts muffler. I guess you will have to shop around to find a muffler that you want to use. The smallest gas motor that you can look at without doing too much modding to the fuse of the US 1000 is the evolution 26 gx but it dont list a wrap around muffler. There are choices out there but the cheapest power plant out there to use is the super tigre 2300. A few places that i checked around, towerhobbies, horizonhobby and kangke industrial none of them lists a wrap around for a glow engine of that size, only pitts or inverted engine type pitts. Good luck with your shopping.
They have the muffler your are looking for, for the ST2300
http://www.jtecrc.com/supertigrewraparound.htm
Old 06-11-2011, 05:28 PM
Roary m

I apologize for any confusion in my text here; I refer to the part as a wrap around header, not a full muffler. The header wraps around the engine, effectively configuring a side exhaust engine into a rear exhaust, since the header does not exit from the side as in the conventional sense, but rather exits from the back of the engine. I wish I had an example to show you, and BTW, thank you for the pics, they gave me some more ideas. Hope I was a little more clear, sorry for the mixup.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:37 AM
rglgatortail

Yeah I think I know what your talking about, those are the kind of headers that are used for four stroke engines especially in pattern planes as the exhaust is oriented in the way it is on the engines and the headers comes off the engine then routes to the tunnel on the belly of the plane and then connects to the long tuned pipe. as for a two stroke I tried to find one that does a wrap around the two stroke head and then make it like a rear exhaust but I could not find one the only thing I found was for four stroke, but the only thing that comes to mind is how would you bolt this header if it has to make this bend? Well i stand corrected i found a youtube video of an os 1.60 fx and the person is doing an exhaust comparison.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Roary m

Yes, great photo, but these guys are a little hard to find. I run into one now and then on the for sale section here(a place where I can get into trouble real quick) but I don't think anyone is making such a header for any make at the moment. I do have an OS 1.60 FX which might make the search easier, but I wasn't sure if the power was maybe too much for the 1000. Anyway, that's my plan, a two stroke with tuned exhaust. I have a 1.40 RX but he's in a pattern plane. Thank you for the input and patience.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:40 PM
Alex7403

How to cover the wing fillets?
Old 06-17-2011, 04:17 AM
Tango Juliet

Slow and careful.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:26 AM
MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: Alex7403

How to cover the wing fillets?
That is probably one of the toughest jobs on the US, but it's not too bad if you do it right.

First off, don't try to do it with the side covering - Use a separate piece - A few pieces actually.

Here's a link to the post where I explained how I did it

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8342677
Old 06-17-2011, 04:31 AM
Tango Juliet

I was also going to suggest Minn's video. Good stuff.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:30 AM
Alex7403

Thanks Minnflyer.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:33 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Anybody ever leave the fillets off? I have one US without fillets and is kinda nice, I have chipped and broken them in the past.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:39 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Scott,
 I've had a US before without the fillets on it (bought it that way) and in the long run it doesn't affect the way the plane flies at all. You can leave them off an you'd never know it with the way the plane flies. I know they are a total pain in the rump to put on, but IMHO they make the plane just look soooooooooo good!!!!!!!

Ken
Old 06-17-2011, 08:03 AM
MinnFlyer

Ditto to what Ken said
Old 06-17-2011, 08:52 AM
rglgatortail

Take a look at my gallery and look at my US 40 Blue Angels theme plane that i have in there, although the fillets are not all that great to show in that picture I think it does give you an idea of what to expect. I bought this plane from another flyer and it had terrible covering so when that covering came off I too had that dreadful concept of covering the fillets. Yeah the idea is to be slow and careful but it can be done but with several pieces of I think it was 3/4 inch wide strips of your heat shrink covering. I used Monokote and a hot hot iron. You cover the fillets first before you cover the fuse and I started at the widest part first and worked my way to the front of the fuse working my way to the flat area of the fuse, as you heat up the covering and then you attach and or touch the covering to the fillet and then push to adhear the covering. I tried several times and went thru some covering to get it as close to as wrinkle free as i could but that is the best job I could do to cover my fillets and I have to say I hate covering fillets next to wing tips.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:12 AM
Alex7403

After the sixth attempt the wood filler starts to crack so I did what MinnFlyer suggested in that long awaited thread just with sealing iron not the heat gun, I guess what I got is good enough.

Thanks

Name:	Tr49237.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1624422  
Old 06-17-2011, 09:28 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Anyone ever try segmented balsa fillets? I'm thinking about trying it on a 40 size plane. I'll make the "L"'s out of 1/4" sheet. Lets see 10" fillet divided by .25" = 40 segments. X 2 = 80 segments on a .40 size plane. Sounds like all kinds of scroll saw fun. Can't be any worse than this!

Name:	Us53780.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1624423  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.