Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Went cheap. bought a DLE 20 and got burnt!!! UPDATE!

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Went cheap. bought a DLE 20 and got burnt!!! UPDATE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 01:28 PM
willig10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Went cheap. bought a DLE 20 and got burnt!!! UPDATE!

You can go with the Zenoah G-26ei. It is a very good engine. I dont know if you are aware but the Zenoah brand enignes were used for industrial purposes before they became aircraft engines. The zenoah brand does well in aircraft applications. I am not aware of any other 20cc to 26cc engines other than Zenoah and DLE that will provide adequate power and longevity. The Zenoah is time proven and the DLE is coming along.

Just to give you an example. I had a Hangar 9 Taylorcraft with a Zenoah G-26ei. It weighed 15+ pounds. 14 ounces of that weight was lead ballast on the firewall. The Zenoah flew the airplane with authority and the plane flew great.

As long as you get the CG correct and the engine running correctly. The added weight should be no problem depending on what aircraft you are flying.

Bigger engines the majority of the timeincrease wing loading and some of the planes that regularly use glow engines when converted to gashave higher wing loading values. That said it does not mean the aircraft will not fly well. It does sometimes mean the airplane will not glide as well as it did before with an engine out situation.

For instance I havea 70" revolver with a DLE30 for power. The airplane flies on rails and is fast. However it does require flight management when setting up for landings and it is wise to be acouple of mistakes high if you have an engine out situation.

So to sumup. The DLE is a great engine in regards to power to weight ratio. The Zenoah will keep on keeping on and is time proven. Jury is still out on the DLE and other newer designs. Some of the higher end engine manufacturers haveyet to dropdown to the 20cc category so your options arelimited.

It is of my opnion that knowing what I currentlyknow about the DLE seriesthat it is a great enginefor your dollar. Even the Big manufactuers have the proverbial lemon every nowand then. If you have a warranty and the place you bought it from repaired orreplaced the engine, I would just go back with the DLE and continue on.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide togo with.

Glenn Williams

Old 06-16-2011, 01:58 PM
2robinhood

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

ORIGINAL: 2robinhood

I bet you guys haven't had your DLE-20's doing this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YBDhADGbOc
If you keep runing that DLE 20 with tha way too big of a prop.....it will not RIP for long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Its not me, just some fool on YouTube.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:59 PM
2robinhood

double post
Old 06-16-2011, 03:32 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I actually have had the DLE 20 for around a month. I am just getting around to the install now. So many factors play into the decision in choosing an engine. The biggie for me on this was being somewhat streamlined. I like the rear carb. I started out with a JBA 15cc but did not have luck with it for this application. The DLE physically is as big as I would go as this is a scale warbird and I do not want any more engine hanging out than there already is.
Again, What other engines are 20cc that could have given the OP the option of not going cheap? (Chinese) I mean specifically, as I would not include a 26 in this class. This is a replacement for .90-120 sized engines. I am of the opinion that this engine is revolutionary. Oh, but I am sure they stole the design from an american at some point.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:49 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't need to steal the design from anyone. With the exception of the rear carb and rail mounts there are millions of similar size and design to be found at any lawn and garden tool dealership.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:41 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

There was a 28c Ryobi forerunner design rear exhaust rear carb mag ignition with rail mounts MANY years ago, sold with an airplane by Hobby Lobby...Came with the mount and a short exhaust pipe....Could not be hand started...Made just outside Phoenix AZ...
Was later changed to the 31 we still see on weed eaters...Also had a small gas circular saw and drill....Came with a rope and pulley for starting...
Old 06-16-2011, 04:46 PM
apalsson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace
I am of the opinion that this engine is revolutionary. Oh, but I am sure they stole the design from an american at some point.
Undoubtedly, every major invention and technical breakthrough in history originates in America

This reminds me of when I bought my first 386PC from a Chinese fella in Los Angeles. This is when the 386 was the hot potato of PC computers.
Before it was handed to me, I had to sign a dossier of documents where I promised never, ever to send it to any of the "commie countries" in the world.
Strangely enough, Taiwan was at the top of that list.
When you took off the cover though, the system board had clearly printed on it - "Made in Taiwan"

If I wasn't convinced you were joking, I'd be tempted to say that this blinker mentality is pretty much exactly what has dumped the US into the economical hole it resides in these days

** Off that soap box now **
Old 06-16-2011, 05:13 PM
aussiesteve

Isn't that what the universities started when they started exporting degrees to foreign students instead of training their own citizens?

Now those students simply wrote learn enough to get the paperwork to make mummy and daddy happy while they look for ideas they can "invent" when they go home.

It's called dumbing down a nation while improving the enemy. 
When that note gets called in (and it probably isn't too far away),  warranty regulations and protection of trade and intellectual assets will become non existent.
Meanwhile, every single one of us supports this happening by voting for it with our cash. Not only are we getting what we paid for, we are also reaping what we have sown.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:38 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man
Once people outgrow the small planes and move up to large scale aircraft they suddenly learn that. The problem seems to be that people want to treat 72'' and under planes like they are large scale and apply all the lessons learned with larger planes to aircraft that can't make use of them.
Please expound on these "lessons learned." I am now at the 72" wingspan level, and this seems 'large', relatively speaking, to my other planes. The DLE-30 I am using in my ESM P-51 is my first gasser, and biggest piston engine I have used in a plane. It has been performing very well, I might add.

But, I do have my eye on the KMP T-28. Would this plane fall into the 'large' category?
Old 06-16-2011, 06:43 PM
Whistling Death

I am not getting hung up on weight other than the fact that the DLE 20 is already pushing it with my .60 sized Pica 190. The are issues such as balance and if you have to start adding weight to do that then you have even more. Other than getting this point side tracked, who else specifically makes an engine in this displacement and weight that does not come from China? Since that is the country to avoid at all costs.
China, home of Yao Ming, chop sticks and DLE engines.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:49 PM
kurt2022
My Feedback: (18)

Reading the last three or four posts I get where you guys are coming from. The DLE 20 is really the only option for a small gas engine for a 60-90 2 stroke plane other than like turnigy. There seems to be a huge market for these light weight engines and why haven't any of the manufactures in the US, Japan and Europe jumped on this trend and introduced an option? I'm sure DLE will see some competition in the future but then again will they or are these engines to expensive to make other than in China?
Old 06-16-2011, 06:55 PM
vertical grimmace

ORIGINAL: VF84sluggo

Once people outgrow the small planes and move up to large scale aircraft they suddenly learn that. The problem seems to be that people want to treat 72'' and under planes like they are large scale and apply all the lessons learned with larger planes to aircraft that can't make use of them.
Please expound on these ''lessons learned.'' I am now at the 72'' wingspan level, and this seems 'large', relatively speaking, to my other planes. The DLE-30 I am using in my ESM P-51 is my first gasser, and biggest piston engine I have used in a plane. It has been performing very well, I might add.

But, I do have my eye on the KMP T-28. Would this plane fall into the 'large' category?
Yes, and some used to always say in reference to control line "when are you going to move up to RC"? I will continue to fly all sizes of planes and CL as well, all the while not being worried about being good enough for some.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:56 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

vertical grimmace,

Plus 1, Bro.

lifer
Old 06-17-2011, 06:45 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: VF84sluggo

Please expound on these ''lessons learned.'' I am now at the 72'' wingspan level, and this seems 'large', relatively speaking, to my other planes. The DLE-30 I am using in my ESM P-51 is my first gasser, and biggest piston engine I have used in a plane. It has been performing very well, I might add.

Yes, and some used to always say in reference to control line ''when are you going to move up to RC''? I will continue to fly all sizes of planes and CL as well, all the while not being worried about being good enough for some.
We have a red and white 1970 CL side profile Shoestring with a green head Torpedo 29R engine that still gets flown every now and then.

Karol
Old 06-17-2011, 07:20 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had one of those Goldberg Shoestrings, I used a McCoy Red Head Stunt 35 on it. Believe it or not but I wore the plane out before the engine. It had many flights on it.

Was one of my favorite control line planes.

The Shoestring was excellent but there was a companion Buster too and it wasn't as good.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:21 AM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

ORIGINAL: kurt2022

Reading the last three or four posts I get where you guys are coming from. The DLE 20 is really the only option for a small gas engine for a 60-90 2 stroke plane other than like turnigy. There seems to be a huge market for these light weight engines and why haven't any of the manufactures in the US, Japan and Europe jumped on this trend and introduced an option? I'm sure DLE will see some competition in the future but then again will they or are these engines to expensive to make other than in China?
The Chinese have figured out how to exploit the capitalist countries using the strength on their society - extremely low labor costs and very plentiful labor. They have sufficient funds to buy raw materials in quantities that drive the market, effecient shipping, and determination. For example: I decided I needed a shop crane (cherry picker) and was going to build my own. I went to the steel yard and priced steel at $.80/lb - ten years ago it was $.30/lb, but the Chinese have been buying it up and forced prices up. Adding up the steel and wheels (no hydraulic ram, paint, or specialty hardware) exceeded the price of a 2-ton foldable model from Harbor Freight that was perfect for what I needed. American-made units were approximately 5X as much money. The decision became buy Chinese or rent American.

Look at the DLE vs DA. The DLE is currently $420 at Tower. The DA 50R is $620 w/muffler. The DLE 20 is $270, so if the %s hold true a DA would be ~$399. Yes, there have been a few failures for the DLEs, but AFAIK even DAs have been known to have problems...I'm sure a few guys would go with the DA, but DLE would hold most of the market share by comparison.

The only way American manufacturers will be able to compete - while paying a living US wage - is if the US government places a substantial (40-50%) import duty on this stuff. Of course, when prices shoot up accordingly, the US economy would be damaged - and the voters would react very unfavorably to a 40% increase in the price of imports. After all, we all want to be paid big bucks while buying cheap.

Things get even more interesting when you get to big-ticket items. A Toyota Tundra has a larger % of American-made components in it than does any of the "American" offerings....
Old 06-17-2011, 07:24 AM
Tired Old Man

Why do other manufactuturers not make small engines? A short example.

DLE made their original 30 with a side carb. Many had problems with fuel puddling. Those that knew and understood gas engines didn't have a problem but newbies complained long and loud. Jody and Cyberwolf, among others, came up with a fix for the problem. Cyberwolf manufactured a new back plate that introduced the rear carb to DLE engines. Although they sold for a bit more than I believe they should have after the prototype dimensions and functionality was established, they corrected the DLE induction problems. Shortly thereafter, DLE, who failed to perform any of their own research and development, essentially copied the design of the Cyberwolf machined back plate and incorporated a cast version into their small engines. It sold for about 1/10 the price of the machined product, putting Cyberwolf out of business. That was just fine for you folks because you got the greatly improved product a lot cheaper.[:@]

In light of that, why would anybody that makes high quality products produce something they know will be copied to undersell them within weeks of their original release? I'm the same way. There are a great many new products that modelers would benefit from that I have invented and proven to be wildly functional but I refuse to produce them for market. I know that some Chinese shill will purchase one to send to China for copying. Hell, any one of you people would send them one if you thought you could save a nickle on the next one without a care for my livelyhood or profitability.

The only reason people are going gas with small airplanes is to save money on gas, with little regard to final fit and finish. After you buy the gas engines the hue and cry starts with mufflers that won't fit a scale cowl attached to a plane designed for a slimmer glow engine. Then there are the complaints about finding a place to fit the ignition. Wing loading and flight performance. What's that you say? Correctly attaching adequate throttle linkage? What a concept. Servos that will handle a strong combustion impulse? Man, those things cost too much. Engine vibrates too much? Ever tune an engine using more than one needle? All your glow engines had two but a large number of people never seem to have known that.

I could go on for hours but most of you will never understand. It's all and only about you.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:39 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Old 06-17-2011, 07:39 AM
vertical grimmace

Why do other manufactuturers not make small engines? A short example.

DLE made their original 30 with a side carb. Many had problems with fuel puddling. Those that knew and understood gas engines didn't have a problem but newbies complained long and loud. Jody and Cyberwolf, among others, came up with a fix for the problem. Cyberwolf manufactured a new back plate that introduced the rear carb to DLE engines. Although they sold for a bit more than I believe they should have after the prototype dimensions and functionality was established, they corrected the DLE induction problems. Shortly thereafter, DLE, who failed to perform any of their own research and development, essentially copied the design of the Cyberwolf machined back plate and incorporated a cast version into their small engines. It sold for about 1/10 the price of the machined product, putting Cyberwolf out of business. That was just fine for you folks because you got the greatly improved product a lot cheaper.[:@]

In light of that, why would anybody that makes high quality products produce something they know will be copied to undersell them within weeks of their original release? I'm the same way. There are a great many new products that modelers would benefit from that I have invented and proven to be wildly functional but I refuse to produce them for market. I know that some Chinese shill will purchase one to send to China for copying. Hell, any one of you people would send them one if you thought you could save a nickle on the next one without a care for my livelyhood or profitability.

The only reason people are going gas with small airplanes is to save money on gas, with little regard to final fit and finish. After you buy the gas engines the hue and cry starts with mufflers that won't fit a scale cowl attached to a plane designed for a slimmer glow engine. Then there are the complaints about finding a place to fit the ignition. Wing loading and flight performance. What's that you say? Correctly attaching adequate throttle linkage? What a concept. Servos that will handle a strong combustion impulse? Man, those things cost too much. Engine vibrates too much? Ever tune an engine using more than one needle? All your glow engines had two but a large number of people never seem to have known that.

I could go on for hours but most of you will never understand. It's all and only about you.
You are missing on a great many points. I never said no small gas engines, just this size. Magnum and Fox have them in .40-.50 sizes. Saito does as well. Gas engines have many benefits other than just cheap gas. Man, I am sorry, but I cannot get over the condescending tone of your posts. You may be independantly wealthy or something, but you certainly sound like an elitist know it all.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:52 AM
FentonFlyer
My Feedback: (11)

VG, +1 again!!
Old 06-17-2011, 08:03 AM
Whistling Death

You are missing on a great many points. I never said no small gas engines, just this size. Magnum and Fox have them in .40-.50 sizes. Saito does as well. Gas engines have many benefits other than just cheap gas. Man, I am sorry, but I cannot get over the condescending tone of your posts. You may be independantly wealthy or something, but you certainly sound like an elitist know it all.
Another short story coming your way soon....................
Old 06-17-2011, 08:10 AM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

That's telling 'em, C.O.F.! Access to your wealth of knowledge does come with a price, doesn't it?
Old 06-17-2011, 08:15 AM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: Teachu2

That's telling 'em, C.O.F.! Access to your wealth of knowledge does come with a price, doesn't it?
Yep, best to let him orate and dig through the piles of pontification to find the real gems.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:21 AM
Tired Old Man

Indeed, for it is usually associated with another request for information that was asked and answered 100 or more times before that someone was too lazy to execute a search for.

You folks figured out yet why so many of the real engine experts are frequenting this site so much less and offering even less while here?

Vert. Grim.

Gas engines were, and in my opinion, still are, best suited for large planes. Some of the stuff I see in this thread that's represented as large are definately not.

Me condescending? No, not even close. Disgusted.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:05 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Come now you guys lighten up a bit, we are supposed to be having fun here but seem to be getting real close to the ragged edge.

Karol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.