Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Heli stuff and fellowship

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Heli stuff and fellowship

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 07:58 AM
dooleyje

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Heli stuff and fellowship

It is Power 60 or 46-70 nitro. I am building it electric, Castle 100amp esc, Castle bec. EFlight power 60 motor. It is brand new from Gplanes @ $279 ARF

I went through my Trex600esp and i tell you it does not have a scratch on it. Even the skids have no scraches on the bottom. It is only about 3 months old. It is a little smaller than my EVO and Vibe. Mack,,,, I had an offer on My Evo as a bare airframe. Not sure i want to sell it. Super helicopter and relaxing to fly.

Mcpx,, we have a brushless upgrade with esc and have been testing it. The motor is a drop in. You have to get a power converter to adapt the brush system to brushless but it is only 9 bucks
The power is awsome with this setup. battery life is about the same 3-4 min. I will post some part numbers later on. Price to upgrade is around 40 bucks. All the stuff is tiny and mounted on the front of the main board with double stick servo tape.

Jim
Old 06-17-2011, 10:55 AM
Mack66

Boy, you step away from your computer for a few hours and a flurry of news shows up on here!

Donica,

Welcome back to w**k! Glad to hear you arrived safe and sound. Hoping Jay gets there safe and sound soon too (too soon?). Gads I'm forgetting how to write. Anyways, keep them nursies learning. I don't want any of 'em giving me too much Rx or the wrong Rx so train 'em good.

JD,

You're gonna need a bigger vehicle if you keep this up, pal. Boy that 600ESP was quite a good deal! How come nobody around here ever offers me anything like that? Re the offer for your EVO: depending on how much the offer is, you could sell it and buy an SDX kit to replace it. The SDX design replaces the Sceadu and the head is based on the Turbulence design. As I recall your Sceadu is not SWM, right?

On the other hand, if that EVO is your baby, well then don't sell her and keep flying her. She's in real good shape. Mind you, parts for the Sceadu's are gonna become more and more scarce as time goes on. Although I say that, a friend at the club still can get parts for his old Shuttle so no big hurry I suspect.

Personally, I'm going to keep flying my Sceadu until it ends up costing more to fix than an SDX kit costs. OR until it can no longer fly better than I can. This could be a very long time. Heh.

All,

Haven't flown since Monday. High winds and temperatures every day. Worse today, winds are 21mph, gusting to 25+mph. Temperature is currently 96F with 101F expected. No rain in sight. The critters outside are all stressed. Rabbits hop around in our yards looking for water and greenery. Birds are sticking close to the lawn sprinklers and artificial lakes. Our little lake at the club for pontoon pilots is dry now. Dust devils are attacking us at the field. This is starting to look more and more like El Paso!

JD, don't forget to get a photo of you and Karl and post it here (or at least PM to me if Karl wishes to remain incognito cogito? cogito ergo sum).

Mack

PS I looked back at this thread and I keep seeing messages in different order etc. I think I need to lay down. Haha.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:16 PM
dooleyje

Mack,, no it is no a ccpm head. As you know it is in new just out of the box condition. I like to keep my stuff clean and new looking. Yes it is my favorite for sure. I have not had any trouble finding parts but they are a little pricey like the Vibe and all products from Japan. SDX is a thought but I would probably sell anything but my EVO. I just thought you would get a kick out of the offer

Jim

Old 06-17-2011, 02:28 PM
Mack66

JD,

Yep. Definitely your baby. But I knew that. Also knew that it wasn't CCPM (SWM being Hirobo's name for it).

Think I'll ask to be buried with mine. After all, she is my "first" real helicopter. Of course it might be nothing but a pile of parts by then...

Mack
Old 06-18-2011, 10:10 AM
flyachopper1

Hello all,
Whew, it has been an active time lately. Seems the floods at home are under control for now. I have had my fill of filling and carrying sandbags for awhile. I did get to fly twice with Ames out over the area to photograph some of the overflows. Lots of water everywhere. Got to work in close proximity to some army Reserve Blackhawk choppers that were lifting huge sandbags to repair a breech in a levy just East of North Platte. They were staging out by the airport and flying out with the big bags from there right over our heads. Awsome machines and those pilots are of the best. They flew those big helis down into some real close areas and made it look easy. As a former pilot though I know it is not easy. There was three of the Blackhawks and they carried over ten thousand of the sand bags three at a time. Seemed like there was one of them overhead at any moment. While Ames and I were up once one of them passed us at about a hundred feet off our starboard side. We were heading out to the North at about 125 knots (145 mph) and it blew by us like we were idling. Oooooooohhhhhh-I want one. Just don't have the 20 million or so.

Got an agent signed on to sell off some dirt I own there South of North Platte and as of yesterday already have an offer for all of it from a housing contractor. I won't know the details until I get settled at Henrys place in Albany and can spend time on the computer. I have been computerless lately as I am travelling light on the bike. All my 'stuff' is with Donica. I am using one of the computers at a coffee shop at the moment.

Cannot talk much rc heli right now as I have been heliless also. I am on the road to Albany right now and have made it as far as Memphis. Pulled in here about an hour ago and after 680 miles I need to get off the Harley for a time. I will stay here until morning and run the last 400 miles and change to Albany tomorrow. It is going to be nice to settle somewhere for awhile. I am missing my bride a lot and look forward to rejoining her soon. Up to now the weather has been in my favor. Lots of storms, but they have been in the distance or behind me. I hope my luck holds on that for the rest of the trip. The Harley is purring right along and has given no woes.

I am off to have a beer or two and loaf around the motel room to regenerate.

Later me friends.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:20 PM
Mack66

Jay,

Glad to see you're alive and well. Memphis is a good place to stay. You may want to grab some BBQ at the Rendezvous! We ate there last time we were there and it was okay fine! [8D]

Sandbagging? Sorry, I got my fill of that a few years back. Those things are back breakers. Ugh. Thanks for pitching in up there. I know it was appreciated. Only 400 miles to go. You'll be there in no time. Let's hope the weather is good to you tomorrow.

Write us when you get to Albany and let us know you made it to Henry's safe.

Mack
Old 06-18-2011, 01:41 PM
dooleyje

Only 20 million?.. That must be without avonics. As we know a single wrench to fix it cost $200[X(]

Jay glad your back bro,

Jim
Old 06-19-2011, 03:55 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Well I have to work on Fathers Day so I'll be packing the laptop and taking it to the field

Happy Fathers Day to the rest of the fathers out there.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:59 AM
dooleyje

I have to work also. The store is having a big sale this weekend. That's ok I usually work Sunday afternoons. I finally got my hands on a Trex550. I helped a customer set up the 3G flybarless. Looks just like my Trex600esp but a little bit smaller. I think it is the same heli with a shorter boom. Nice... It is still very pricey but I have seen them in the $750 range as a super combo. I don't need anymore helis.

I have been in my shop working on a couple of airp***s so no flying for me this week. Mike the new GP Christen Eagle is nice. Karl will be here tomorrow so maybe I will get a few batteries in then. HAPPY FATHERS DAY

Jim
Old 06-19-2011, 03:37 PM
Mack66

Well my daughter took me out to Kublai Khan's Mongolian BBQ for lunch so eat your hearts out everyone. It was delicious. She then made me eat some frozen yogurt next door. That was delicious too!

Didn't get to fly though. Winds still persistently high and high temps here.

Yesterday Greg and Alex almost flew. Alex got out to the field just before Greg left the house and told him to forget it. Way too windy. I think Mike sent El Paso to Houston.

Sooner or later, things will change...and when it does we'll all be out there chopping up the skies!!!

Hoping Karl makes it in safe and sound. Let us know, JD.

Mack
Old 06-19-2011, 03:41 PM
rcmiket

Nope still here too 104 with 45mph winds today. It's actually looking better for mid week. I can hope anyway.
mike
Old 06-19-2011, 07:48 PM
flyachopper1

Hello all,
Safely in Good old Albany, GA finally and with my partner. It was a hot day today (101 F) and is going to be again tomorrow. Rolled in here a bit after 3:30 PM and was very road weary. Rode through a lot of hot weather on this last leg of the trip. By the time I got here I was ready for a wet cold drink and to put my feet up for awhile. Lazed around in Henrys air conditioning while Dear Donica pampered me with iced juices and cooked one heck of a dinner. Smoked pork chops split and stuffed with some kind of cornmeal concoction that tasted just like cornbread. Never had that before and it was very tasty. Green beans with mushrooms and dirty rice for sides topped off with a desert of warm peach pie smothered in whipped cream. A fathers day feast fit for a king and now I am sitting stuffed to the top with my beauty of a partner close at my side. Ol' Henry is sitting in his recliner with a very satisfied look and a round belly. I am betting he is asleep before the movie We are watching (Battle Los Angelas) on his new 60 inch flatscreen He got as a Pappas Day gift from his kids is done. My daughter called about an hour ago and we chatted for awhile. She, the grandson and her hubby had finished their Dads day dinner and called to tell me they had e mailed me a $500 gift certificate for Harley stuff at any dealer. That will be put to use asap. Donica and I are both wanting new leather jackets. My old faithful one is beginning to show a lot of wear and is coming apart at some of the seams. The lining went pathetic a long time ago. I hate to give up the old brown friend after over 20 years but it is time. Henry has suggested a burial for it by building a small raft, taking it out to the center of his pond and burning it till it sinks. Different, but an interesting thought. Donica has a fairly new and nice one in black and has said she would like one in brown. You all know the lasses. They must have a choice of togs. Looks like two new brown leathers coming soon.

Wanted to fly the helis today but just didn't have the energy required. I did not want to risk it as worn as I was. Donica had been out this morning with her 500 for awhile but it got hot and uncomfortable real fast. She called it a day by 11 AM. She spent an hour or so on the sim after that working on a new "trick" she has in mind. Myself, I just abstained from it all for today and I promise to get back to it in the morning. I did spend some time inspecting the 700 and checking all the necessary fixtures and settings. It is ready to go and my plan is to fly the giant tomorrow. I only have two batteries for the big bird right now so time with it is limited. I will get more packs ordered soon. It is a guarantee that the 500s will be off the ground tomorrow before we finish. It is a break day for the students so Donica has the whole day off and we plan to spend it well. Once the flying is done we plan to take the old Ford out to a small pub/diner Henry tells us we should try. He says it's quaint, some of the local Harley types frequent it and the sandwiches are very good. He plans to ride his old Harley there. Myself, I need a break from the bike so Donica and I will be taking the truck. Donica has even offered to drive and that suits me well. I think she has developed a real liking for driving that little Ford. If she didn't need to haul all her stuff for work I am suspect she would be asking to take it there too.

Time to go me friends, watch the rest of the movie and go comatose for a good solid 8 hours.

Be well and happy.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:48 AM
matty_p80

hello all you heli and plank orientated peeps!

still here in Rota, Spain for now![] we head back to Mannheim on Thurs. after we do the final movements of the remainder of the aircraft tomorrow!

have a bit of a dilemma as the LHS i use in Kaiserslaughtern (not the cheapest but i get good service from him) has a German brand called Jamara (may have heard of it)! anyway, they do a 500 size heli called (this will make you laugh) the E-Rix 500 but it is a considerable amount cheaper than the T-Rex, i.e €270 for a rx/batt ready E-Rix, compared to the T-Rex at €520!!

i know, i know, i know!! amidst all the cries of "nay! youse gets what yer pays fer!" but i have seen these in the flesh and the quality seems pretty good for the value! also, it would mean i would have my 500 just a little sooner than expected and the parts seem to be swappable with the Align products, so i could upgrade it as and when!!!!???!!

it still probably might not happen anyway as i've got to wait until my wife's tax affairs are in order before i can think about spending anything on myself! plus i've got to buy a new windshield for my car when i get back as that cracked the day we were leaving for Spain!!! the next time i'm home i am going to set up that other account marked "Matty's helis!" and start squirreling small amounts so that i can spend on me without other priorities getting in the way! i hate having a conscience sometimes! ha ha ha

JD you got any more room for another builder at your store? i getting to thinking i kinda like your lifestyle

everyone, to all who are and all who might be - Happy Father's Day for yesterday! it is quite odd that the U.K.'s Mother's Day is a different date to yours but the Father's Day is the same!!???!!

people, be good and fly safe

peace

love

chocolate

Matty )
Old 06-20-2011, 12:54 PM
matty_p80

got bored so started having a look on E-thingy.UK for 500's and found this:

[link=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Spider-500-Apache-H-64-Full-metal-Trex-450-Trex-500-/330578737573?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item4cf80739a5#ht_1042wt_921]Spider 500 Apache[/link]

and am now in discussions with the geezer (nice chap, very jealous of what i do for a living! a like minded heli freak for certain!) for the purchase of which! it is rather very pretty and sounds fantastic as you can hear if you open the link from the listing!!

another of his that he sent me a link for and that i know Jay will appreciate is his A350 600 size project:

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V33pUofOZhY]Roger's A350[/link]

hhhhmmmmmmm! not only my own 500 but an Apache scale bird too,oh i think i'm going to dream happy tonight!!!

peace

out

Matty )
Old 06-20-2011, 04:18 PM
dooleyje

Matty I would say go for it. It is probably a Trex clone anyway... So who made Trex the premier brand?.. Not me.. If it is not a clone then you are where the parts are. There are a ton of nice things in the "old" country

I just left Karl. We had a grand afternoon together. He flew his SR120 and I burned a few batteries through my Mcpx. After the afternoon at the flying field we went to the store so Karl could play on the Sim a bit. He took me to dinner at at my favorite place... Cracker Barrel.. He has never eat there before. It was sad to part ways and I wished the time was longer. I really like to meet folks we talk to on the thread as they are our extended family so I look forward to our meeting again. Karl is spending the night in Mooresville and will be heading out early tomorrow to visit family. Karl I have a great time and wish you a safe journey.. No he did not ride the scooter down.

Jay I am glad you made it home with out trouble. I know for sure it is nice coming home to a loved one.

Jim

Jim
Old 06-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Mack66

Glad to see you and Karl met, JD. Did you get any pictures? Huh? Huh? Did you guys go to the same Cracker Barrel we went to? LOL!

Next question: did you order the same thing?

Matty,

Get the dang thing! Stop fiddling about and DO IT! We need new adventure stories here! We're all hunkered down in the South US hiding from high winds. We need stories!!!

Mike,

It ain't gettin' any better here, but I'm hoping for low winds just before the RAIN arrives Wed. Maybe Greg and I can sneak in a few flights before the T-Storms arrive...

Jay,

So glad to see you made it in one piece. I'm sure your sweetie was more gladder than us! Rest up and have fun. You've been on a very long journey. Now it's time to settle in and enjoy life...aaaah!

Mack
Old 06-20-2011, 09:39 PM
cajungirl

Hidee doodles spinny heads,
Wellllll pishwah, got some bad news. Jay crashed his 700 today. He was on the second battery and decided to try some light 3D with it. He's never done that with the big one yet. Things were goin' purty good 'till he tried some of those tail straight down rockin' back and forth thingies. He blames himself but it seemed like the heli lost some of it's power and it dropped straight down on the tail. Oooohhh, ouchie, it was turrible!! The tail hit and dirt went up. Then it flopped over on it's side and more dirt went up along with pieces parts. He had it at full throttle when it dropped so the rotors hit real hard and lotsa times. It's really wrecked this time. We gathered up what we could find (some pieces made little splashes out in Henrys pond never to be seen again). Even the battery flew out and was split open. It was smokin' when we found it so we let it sit for a bit and then dropped it in the water at the edge of the pond to cool it and neutralize the rest of the chemicals. It was still so hot Jay had to pick it up with a pair of pliers and it sizzled in the water. The main rotors are just little splinters still hangin' on the blade grips. The canopy looks like a used up piece of tinfoil. The whole back of the mainframe is off and in teeny pieces. The tailboom looks like it was run over by a tank. All bent in different directions and flat is a coupla places. The tail rotor assembly is missin' in action and likely in the pond too. We only found one skid and suspect the other is at the bottom of the pond. The maingear has only 'bout ten teeth left on it and is split on one side. We'll evaluate the damages tomorrow evenin'. Jay's already purty much decided it's a total loss and is resigned to buying another complete kit. Jay lost his desire to fly after that and put his other helis away in the trailer. "Course he's not the type to deny anyone else so he helped me get my 600 out and ready to fly so I could put a tank through it. It flew purfect and I got my nerve up enough to send it out low over the water a coupla times. Now that was fun and scary all at once. I could see little ripples in the water from the rotor wash. Gave me goosey bumps. One tank and I was ready to quit for the day. It was hot out and we needed to go to the house for a cool off and a cold drink. Jay stayed purty calm after the crash, but, I could tell he was hurtin'. He gets real quiet when he's feelin' that way and doesn't say much. I popped a beer for him at the house and gave his neck and shoulders a rubbin'. I could tell he was tense then 'cause his neck muscles were real tight. The rubbin' and two beers and he was feelin' more relaxed. Him and Henry were startin' to joke about it all by then and havin' some laughs. So sad 'bout that big beauty of a birdie, but it can be replaced.

Gotta go back to work tomorrow and it's gettin' late. I better stop yakkin' and get myself ready for sleepin'.

Please be safe, healthy and happy.

Or, like Matty says:
Peace, love and chocolate (have some peanut butter with your chocolate too).

Donica and Jay
Old 06-21-2011, 04:57 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I wrecked my beloved Vibe 50 (the review model) Sunday.

One of the spindle bolts came out (so I have pretty much nobody to blame but myself), the blades shot out 150 feet or so in either direction and the frame balled itself up on the way down.
First time I've ever totaled a helicopter yet not bent the spindle or broken the blades. The spindle and grip were still attached to one blade and both blades landed on the lawn so there wasn't a scratch on either one.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:19 AM
matty_p80

oooooh, oooooooh, ooooooooh! so excited! nearly the proud owner of a very large Apache!!

gotta go and drive a go-kart now (life's tough, huh!)

jumping up and down

Matty )
Old 06-21-2011, 06:57 AM
Chopper Chuck

Matty: Have you seen a Protos (by MSH helis)
over there? Several guys in my club have them and they have some very cool features.
Chopster
Old 06-21-2011, 07:08 AM
Chopper Chuck

BYW both the Apache and the go kart sound way cool! Chop
Old 06-21-2011, 12:18 PM
matty_p80

very nearly bought one last year Chop but didn't have the loose change to get it at the time!!

M. )
Old 06-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Mack66

Noooooo! A 700 and a Vibe within a few days of each other.

Jay,

So sorry to hear about your crash. From Donica's description it sure sounds like kit time to me. I know too well what it feels like right after auguring in. My first reaction is usually...WHAT??? [:@] Almost always something that you never would have imagined happening. And especially frustrating if you can't identify the cause, even though it's pretty much pilot error somewhere, but where and how to avoid doing it again? I'm certainly surprised that it happened during tic-tocs, but then, those require a lot of power and likely was a temperature excursion to match somewhere in the system. I'll be interested in hearing any post-mortem observations you may have during autopsy/CSI.

This is the second big T-Wrecks in only a few weeks. Joel nearly totaled his 90 T-Wreck just a few weeks ago when you and Donica were off partying in Europe. I described it somewhere back in these pages in the Rat Club Chronicles.

Oh well. A new build will settle your nerves and you'll be back up there scaring the birds once again. Donica will help ease the pain with her usual pampering I'm sure.

Cuda,

Had a loose screw in your head didn't you? LOL Funny just the other day Ronnie was noticing some odd vibrations in his SDX so started checking things out. And of course you know what the cause was. Spindle screw had backed out on one side. He forgot to Loktite the thing. What's a little unnerving is that he rebuilt the head that is now on MY Sceadu! Guess I'd better check it over real close, huh?

All,

We're still waiting for the winds to calm down here. Today there were a few isolated showers. Tomorrow the good news is that winds are supposed to subside, and rains are to be more frequent. Maybe Greg and I can sneak in a few flights between storms.

Mack
Old 06-21-2011, 02:10 PM
Mack66

Chopster,

The Proto looks interesting. But as always, the important consideration is access to replacement parts. Must be a dealer in your town, right? Can't imagine waiting for international mail order after a crash. Why don't you buy one and tell us how it goes?

Mack
Old 06-21-2011, 04:39 PM
dooleyje

Jay and Andy sorry to hear about the crashes.[:@] I think that a close look after a day or so will show they are not that bad. When I a crash BIG-UN I try to shake it off but hard as I try I still mope around like someone licked the red off of my candy Pry the good parts off and hang them in the shop for repairs.

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.