Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Don Muddiman Flying Machine

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Don Muddiman Flying Machine

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 07:52 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Don Muddiman Flying Machine

Glad to hear the Flying Machine ARF is moving toward production again!

I still want one!
Old 06-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Nitro-Tom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Video.....I am not sure what is more amazing.........Don's Flying or the fact the plane actually held together

Old 06-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Nitro-Tom

ORIGINAL: Condor060

The electric version will meet (but most likley exceed) the current power to weight ratio of the aircraft. The only consideration we are toying with now is flight time vs battery size and weight. With the amount of power needed (and to get the lightest FM possible) we might be looking at 6 minute flight times. Still testing.

The other thing I worry about is electric getting the necessary RPM's for real speed.....but the motors just keep getting better and more amazing.

What RPM and what Prop are you using on you're suggested E-Setup?

Thanks in advance for the info.....
Old 06-18-2011, 08:31 PM
mr.snaproll
My Feedback: (38)

Wow, that video was sweet. Don, even after all these years you still got it. I agree with Nitro-Tom, don't stop selling your plans for the FM. Even though the FM ARF will soon be avalible some flyers would still prefer to build one. When the ARF comes out I will get one and put my scratch built one aside for a backup. I have been spreading the word around my area about the FM ARF and there is a ton of people that can't wait for it to arive. I will hopfully be putting on a demo at a fun fly tomorrow with my FM and I bet There will be even more people wanting one.

Andy

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12944.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	1624920  
Old 06-20-2011, 05:52 PM
mr.snaproll

What engine was used in the video? Was it the 46 AX or the 55 AX. I had thought about upgrading to the 55 AX.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:02 AM
Muddiman

That video was shot using the .46AX about two and a half years ago. I do not recommend the .55AX as it has major mid-range problems. I spent many hours trying to sort out the problem, props, tuned pipes/length, headers, glow plugs, different carbs, fuel and even buying a second engine. It has to be a porting issue with the .55AX engine. The main reason I tried the engine was it does not use the remote needle valve as with the .46AX which causes lean fuel issues during high G maneuvers. Stick with the .46AX using a 4D carb or the .55AX carb. As far as plans go I will discuss this with CONDOR Productions as they now own the rights of the Flying Machine per the contract.

Don
Old 06-21-2011, 06:16 AM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don;

I wonder if you ever considered using, or even tried the O.S. 32.
It is still one of the hottest engines OS ever produced, and I
have several left over from my Diamond Dust days. Would it have enough gusto???
Old 06-21-2011, 09:02 AM
Condor060
My Feedback: (2)

Flying Machine Update:

We will have all of the building parts manufactured within the next 10 days to build complete FM prototypes. Since the first few are basically hand made, covered, and shipped it takes a little longer.

Normal time is about 30 days from blue prints to flying model but we are putting this on the front burner (so to speak) not to mention that the FM is capable of 40G maneuvers so every detail has strict guidelines to manufacture an ARF kit of this ability.

Condor Hobbies is a new manufacture to the industry but its owners have been in this industry since 1978. The website for Condor is very elaborate and might not be ready by the time the FM is available. No fear. If the FM is completed prior to the website launch we will make them available immediately to the general public.

Our expectations are 3 different graphic packages.

The FM I am flying is on the 55 but without a pipe. With an 11-7 prop is does a good job with unlimited vertical. The problems Don had was getting the 55 to work on a pipe.

The 55 is a great answer for those who have restrictions on the usage of a pipe but want the same performance. I can’t tell the performance difference ( I am sure Don can) but there are a few drawbacks with the 55.

Fuel consumption is 1/3 more than the 46. This thing loves to drink. The other is the nose weight and balance of the model is much different. I have to use almost twice as much elevator to get the same performance with the muffler hanging off the nose.

I will provide more info as we get closer to completion.

Fred

Old 06-21-2011, 09:14 AM
pmarkey
My Feedback: (5)

Fred

Do you have the pricing of the model(s) yet?

Thanks

Paul
Old 06-21-2011, 09:25 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I own two of the 55AX motors and also have never been "happy" with them. I have a couple of 46s that are just perfect motors. I agree that the 46AX would be a bit lighter and a lot more reliable. The 55 is OK, but it does have its issues.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:47 AM
Nitro-Tom

ORIGINAL: airbusdrvr

I own two of the 55AX motors and also have never been ''happy'' with them. I have a couple of 46s that are just perfect motors. I agree that the 46AX would be a bit lighter and a lot more reliable. The 55 is OK, but it does have its issues.

I had mine built with the .46 and used a MACs pipe, not as good as a "real" tuned pipe, but I could not be hapier with the result! Easy to balance, etc.....

Like Don said, the remote needle is a drag, but I have a .55 carb I have been looking at hanging on it.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23725.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	1625907  
Old 06-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Condor060

Pricing of the model will be released as soon as we have a grasp on what the cost is going to be.You have to consider that the FM has building standards not required by any other aircraft in its class so even though we need to be competitive and reasonable in its pricing, we also have a bit more production cost than letssay an Ultra Stick. I think it would be reasonable to assume that the completed kit could come in anywhere from 189-225 depending on whatit will take to build it, how muchother manufactures would like to participate like packaging it with OS motors, Mac pipes, and props.

If it was a standard wood kit without the need for 4 boltwings, spruce spar, aluminumwing mounts, rounded nose, and rounded built turtle deck with the ability to withstand its own self destructing G loadsyou would have astandard $180 retail airplane building it like an Ultra stick for example. While the cost individually to add the extras that a FM needsappears high up front, the overall manufacturing and amount of aircraft purchased starts to drop the cost factor.

With that being said,the Flying Machine is going to price itself meaning it is what it is. Our approach to this product with be the same for everything we carry. I don't think you will be able to buy a short kit (or plans) purchase all the materials (wood, wheels, glue,fuel tank, hardware, landing gear, covering) and build it for less at your cost (not includingyour time to construct it)than you can purchase the ARF. Thats kind of the industry standard.

I hope that answers the question without being to evasive on the subject. Its becoming more and more difficult to estimate these things without being rolled over the coals if it doesn't come in at what we planned and Don's FM is a stand alone aircraft to say the least. I will tell you that we will not sacrifice the structure to bring the price down. What ever she comes in at cost wise will be a Don Muddiman Flying Machine to its very core. Nothing less. This estimate includes everything needed except radio, servos, engine, prop, and pipe.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:00 AM
Nitro-Tom

ORIGINAL: Condor060

Flying Machine Update:

We will have all of the building parts manufactured within the next 10 days to build complete FM prototypes. Since the first few are basically hand made, covered, and shipped it takes a little longer.

Normal time is about 30 days from blue prints to flying model but we are putting this on the front burner (so to speak) not to mention that the FM is capable of 40G maneuvers so every detail has strict guidelines to manufacture an ARF kit of this ability.

Condor Hobbies is a new manufacture to the industry but its owners have been in this industry since 1978. The website for Condor is very elaborate and might not be ready by the time the FM is available. No fear. If the FM is completed prior to the website launch we will make them available immediately to the general public.

Our expectations are 3 different graphic packages.

The FM I am flying is on the 55 but without a pipe. With an 11-7 prop is does a good job with unlimited vertical. The problems Don had was getting the 55 to work on a pipe.

The 55 is a great answer for those who have restrictions on the usage of a pipe but want the same performance. I can’t tell the performance difference ( I am sure Don can) but there are a few drawbacks with the 55.

Fuel consumption is 1/3 more than the 46. This thing loves to drink. The other is the nose weight and balance of the model is much different. I have to use almost twice as much elevator to get the same performance with the muffler hanging off the nose.

I will provide more info as we get closer to completion.

Fred

Holy CRAP!

40G's? [X(]

I saw a video of a jet guy doing a "static" load test on a wing which folded under 6G load......I knew Don's flying was pulling some G's......but wow!

Shows how important it is for good design and build......and how capable this plane is
Old 06-21-2011, 11:06 AM
Nitro-Tom

count me in for one......I was (And still am) trying to buy AirBusDrvr's beautifull FM but a box to transport it (Since it is built) has proven tough.

Maybe I can buy the ARF and use that box
Old 06-21-2011, 11:27 AM
pmarkey
My Feedback: (5)

Thanks for the pricing update.. I am looking forward to purchasing one in the future.. the 189-225 range is more than reasonable for an ARF of this caliber

Will you be taking pre-orders?

Paul
Old 06-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Condor060

As soon as we start production I will give everyone here on this forum the first heads up so you can decide at that time to put your name on one. We won't take payment until we can ship the order but I have no problem reserving aircraft for you guys before we announce it to the world.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:23 PM
RC MANIAC119

Condor..here's the question of the week-Will you guys be building these here, or do we have to wait for the container from China??
Old 06-21-2011, 12:31 PM
mr.snaproll

How is the proformence of the 46 AX with the 55 carb. I don't think you can get the 4D carb anymore, or can you??? If anyone on this thread has a 46 AX in good condition that you would be looking to sell please let me know.

Andy
Old 06-21-2011, 12:37 PM
mr.snaproll

How is the proformance of the 46 with a mac muffled pipe? I can use a reagulare pipe but its a little loud.

Andy
Old 06-21-2011, 12:43 PM
Nitro-Tom

ORIGINAL: mr.snaproll

How is the proformance of the 46 with a mac muffled pipe? I can use a reagulare pipe but its a little loud.

Andy
It takes quite a hit without the tuned pipe, I would guess about 300-500 RPM.....at least......

That being said, my FM with a std. pipe is pleanty fast and not "that loud" .....although my pipe is NOT the muffled MAC pipe.....

the hit on that would likely be more.......
Old 06-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Condor060

Alas, our factory is in China but that is good news for two reasons. The most obvious is the pricing but our warehouse is in Seattle. It only takes about a week to receive the container and we pick it up at the docks ourselves. We have been shipping product for 15 years so we don't have any customs issues or deliverycompanies that would hold us up.

When people think of China containers they usually associate that with a company that waits 3-6 weeks for containers because of transportation and customs problems getting the container to their location warehouse to include over the road trucking and scheduling. This isn't a problem for us as we own the factory and the production warehouse. Since we ship to ourselves we eliminate a huge amount of transportation time and you guys get the product for about 1/3 less money.

When you order product from China you run into financial issues such as providing cash (or a letter of credit)prior to shipping. This takes time and a lot of what you hear from US retailers is their waiting on a container when in fact it really hasn't shipped yet. We don't have that problem as again, we are shipping to ourselves.

Another problem is (for whatever reason) a lot of retailers here don't re-order until their inventory is depleated (or very close) causing the ole Back Order problem. We are ordering 300 up front to get them in inventory quickly with an unlimited supply a week behind them.

Plus, our containers don't sit around on the docks for an extra week while the handlers figure out its destination protocals. We deliver to the dock andpick up from the dockourselves and have them in inventory the next day.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Flyerjoe
My Feedback: (9)

I have seen Don fly this airplane many times and there is one thing he did that was really cool. Dead stick from way up, then straight down to almost 2 feet off the ground, with pull up, still dead stick, then rolls with a landing.

It was suhweeeeet!

Nubbs
Old 06-21-2011, 03:16 PM
mwhar760
My Feedback: (18)

from what i have seen from the guy who laser cut my stuff this is one he cannot do anymore if you want a kit here is a link!!!!!
Old 06-21-2011, 03:35 PM
RC MANIAC119

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-21-2011, 04:15 PM
mwhar760
My Feedback: (18)

what do you mean wrong some one else owns the copyright they notified him and he stopped cutting them!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.