Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Tornado S30 questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Kristoffer_E

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tornado S30 questions

Hi,

I've been looking to get a nitro RCfor awhile, but can't afford to pay $300-600 for one of the top-end vehicles. Ithink the Tornado S30 looks like what Iwant; it fits the price range, seems to perform well for the price, and parts look to be cheap. Unfortunately, my local hobby store does not stock Redcat products, and until Ican find one that does, Iwill have to order parts. Also, I've read that the older model tornados had gearing issues resulting in stripped pinions unless clutch parts were changed out. Another thread had links to the needed parts for this upgrade, but they were from 2007 or so and no longer worked. I've heard that the dog bones like to fall out and/or break. Is that also the case with the S30? If Iwere to buy this, what kinds of parts would most likely break just driving it on pavement and in packed dirt? I'd like to order them all at once and save on shipping until Ican find a local retailer that stockes Redcat stuff. Is there any disadvantage to buying one new in box from Ebay (ie. warranties, etc...)? Ican get the buggy for ~$155 shipped to my house here. Ihave all the needed tools (screwdrivers, wrenches, etc) to work on it, but what other things would Ineed to run it? Fuel, obviously, and some way to get the fuel into the car, a glow plug igniter, andair filter oil should about cover it, no? I've heard some people recommend fuel filters,a failsafe in case you lose a signal, and other things. What are the necessities to run a nitro vehicle? Finally, I've heard some people that claim that redcat stuff just falls apart, and others swear by it. I'm pretty sure that for the price, Ican't find a better buggy, and Ireally don't have alot of money right now.

Thanks,

Kristoffer
Old 06-21-2011, 12:29 PM
NewRageRC
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Tornado S30 questions

There's a lot of questions, so I'll answer at least a few. Yep, you pretty much said what you need. An igniter, fuel and air filter oil will get you going, along with a fuel bottle so you aren't spilling all over the place. And you'll need 12 AA batteries (4 for the reciever, 8 for the radio) Many of the retailers on ebay include a free starter kit that has all of that except the air filter oil, which you can get at your local hobby shop. Once you have all that you'll just need some patience to get it broken in and tuned. There are tons of videos on youtube describing how to do that.

As long as you aren't crashing, you shouldn't have much trouble with broken parts. Idon't have direct experience with a Tornado (I have a Backdraft 3.5) but once you start crashing you'll need any number of suspension parts. The steel spur gear is an upgrade you probably want up front as that's the weakest point in Redcat's cars. Lots of people upgrade their steering servos but that's not absolutely necessary, especially right away.

The main problem with the clutch seems to be the heat generated by the aluminum clutch shoes deforming the clutch bell, and the weak spring. I upgraded to a Traxxas Revo teflon clutch and haven't had any problems. Upgrading means switching to something other than Redcat, so you won't be able to order at the same time as your car, but you might be able to find it locally. Take the clutch shoes in to your local hobby shop and see if they have anything close. The Traxxas shoes Ihave don't fit quite right but they work fine.

The DSM2.4ghz receivers have a built in failsafe so you shouldn't need to buy one. My neighbor's Earthquake was configured backwards out of the box though (went WOT instead of brake), so you'll want to check that. There are also videos online describing this process.

As long as you're dealing with a new car sold by an official Redcat vendor, the warranty is handled directly by Redcat and you should be fine.

Good luck!
Old 06-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Kristoffer_E

ORIGINAL: NewRageRC

As long as you're dealing with a new car sold by an official Redcat vendor, the warranty is handled directly by Redcat and you should be fine.

So, if Iwere to buy it from Ebay, that could cause problems with the warrenty?

Thanks for all your help, Ireally appriciate it.

Regards,

Kristoffer
Old 06-21-2011, 01:08 PM
NewRageRC

I would ask the seller if they're an official Redcat vendor for sure but probably
Old 06-21-2011, 05:22 PM
diltech

Hi,

I have a Tornado and i think is't not a better choice. I have to change many parts under warranty but i have no problem with that now. Redcat offer very good warranty 90 days replacement. But, i run on flat road but i had change engine, two servos (now Hi-Tec), many dogbones (because you need setting space of your hub) receiver (burn, i don't know why) and many wheels tires. Clutch, gears are ok for now. I will suggest heavy front and rear shock tower if you replace. it's very important to check all screws.

Good luck!
Old 06-21-2011, 06:59 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those upgrades were from back in 2007, i am the one who found out about them, you dont need them anymore since redcat has switched to steel clutch bell's now. The clutch spring seems to hold up much better now but if it does break, traxxas 4146x is the best spring to use, not the shoes that come with it but the spring. Besides that its a good little buggy and with the proper maintenance, upkeep and treatment, it will do you well. going over the rc every once in a while will save lots of headaches, also with the dogbones, a small sliver of fuel tubing in the drive cups to take up excess slack will save your dogbones from falling out, dont make the dogbones too tight with no play there has to be a slight bit of play.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:24 PM
Kristoffer_E

those upgrades were from back in 2007, i am the one who found out about them, you dont need them anymore since redcat has switched to steel clutch bell's now
Thanks.  I didn't know about that.

But, i run on flat road but i had change engine, two servos (now Hi-Tec), many dogbones (because you need setting space of your hub) receiver (burn, i don't know why) and many wheels tires.
dogbones and wheels I can see, and maybe even servos.  But what happened to the engine?  Was it just defective, or tuned wrong?  Any ideas what happened to it?  Also, was that covered under the 90 day warrenty, or did you have to pay for the replacement engine?

many thanks,

Kristoffer
Old 06-22-2011, 01:42 AM
diltech

My dealer never see that about engine. it was the bearings inside the case broken.
Nope, the engine under warranty, absolute free for change. Now my engine it's ok but, sometime the rotary carb jam because of the spring is not working well. I'll changed by another soon will I receive that I attach to the tower.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:25 AM
NewRageRC

My carb slide valve didn't like to close all the way either, so I adjusted the spring tension at the servo. My buddy brought OS and Pico engines over and their carbs are the same way so I thought that was normal.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Kristoffer_E

Thanks again for all the help everyone. I've given some serious thought to this ebay guy, and Ithink I'd rather buy from someone on the forum. If anyone knows a reputable guy who stocks redcat cars, I'd love to hear about it. Honestly, I'd rather support someone from around here anyway than some ebay seller, even at a slightly higher price.

Regards,

Kristoffer

EDIT: I've heard goodthings about Kurt at URCHobby, and he has some pretty competitive pricing, but Ican get the buggy and starter kit cheaper at http://www.rctoysnh.com. Anyone have a recommendation either way?

EDIT 2: After applying shipping costs, its only a difference of about $5. So Ireally don't care about that anymore. Just if anyone has experiance with either guy. Iassume Kurt's a registered Redcat dealer, can anyone confirm, or know about the other site?
Old 06-23-2011, 04:41 AM
NewRageRC

Yep, he is, with many satisfied customers. Can't go wrong.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:33 AM
carslover

I have had alot of great expierances with rufaster.com, thats were i order all my parts from
Old 06-23-2011, 01:43 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Iam happy to report that as of yesterday we are a Redcat dealer. Come see us at 1109 Grandview ave Muscatine Iowa , Star Collectibles