Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Are small electric foamies becoming a problem at your field ?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes, I fly glow, or gas only, and they are a problem.
12.07%
No, I fly glow, or gas, and they are not a problem.
77.59%
Yes, I only fly large electrics, and they are a problem.
1.72%
No, I only fly large electrics, and they are not a problem.
6.90%
Yes, they are a problem, and our club is making them go.
1.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Are small electric foamies becoming a problem at your field ?

Old 06-19-2011, 06:08 PM
Ed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are small electric foamies becoming a problem at your field ?

Our club field has become so saturated with small electric foamies, that they are becoming a problem for pilots with larger birds. Our club is considering asking them to go elsewhere. Perhaps a nearby park, or school football field. Please participate in the poll as honestly as you can. Thank you.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:12 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Are small electric foamies becoming a problem at your field ?

I have no problem with foamies so long as they fly in a manner respectful of the larger craft that can't move out of the way as easily.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:09 AM
beepee

Your poll is structured as them against us. They are a problem at our field and it has nothing to do with what I fly. The problem is that a number of the pilots have little or no respect for the flight-line and no-fly areas like over the pits and people. I guess they think that being a foamie makes them of little risk. I suspect if one of them was bitten by the prop they might think differently. Our field is one without rules so we rely on common sense and good judgement. Both are often in short supply.

Be safe,

Bedford
Old 06-20-2011, 02:03 AM
nk3t

Why not a poll selection for:
"I fly little foamies, and warturds are a big problem"

I would say your poll is intentionally biased in order to get the results aligning with your ideas.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:26 PM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF, they are club members of your club on private club land,,, then it should be up the club board officers to do something about it. It might be a good idea to present your thoughts at a club meeting and let them do their job.

my 2 pesos

BV
Old 06-21-2011, 03:48 AM
Strat2003
My Feedback: (1)

Similar to beepee, we briefly had a problem with airplanes like that being flown behind and over the pits. Once we reminded everyone that they were airplanes too, subject to the same rules as the bigger stuff, the problem went away.
Scott
Old 06-21-2011, 04:37 AM
electricrc68
Banned

ORIGINAL: Ed

Our club field has become so saturated with small electric foamies, that they are becoming a problem for pilots with larger birds. Our club is considering asking them to go elsewhere. Perhaps a nearby park, or school football field. Please participate in the poll as honestly as you can. Thank you.
if its bothering you that much, then just hit their plane with your big plane and then see if they leave and never come back.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:22 AM
tommygun32

Electric....is this really how you would handle a situation like that?

ORIGINAL: electricrc68

if its bothering you that much, then just hit their plane with your big plane and then see if they leave and never come back.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:18 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 06-21-2011, 08:31 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Yep... in today's day and age... always good to drive away members.....
Old 06-21-2011, 10:44 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Exactly how are they a problem, Ed? Is it inconsiderate flying, failure to communicate maneuvers, unsafe operation, hogging the runway/airspace, or something else?
Old 06-21-2011, 12:03 PM
warningshot

With AMA loseing members each year it sounds like this club wants to do its part to insure it keeps going down.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:05 PM
SunnyFlyer09

Most ridiculous poll I've seen. If you don't like to fly foamies, there is something wrong with you. One of the best things to happen to rc, thats why there are so many people doing it.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Ed

Jester : Thank you for your interest. First of all, I belong to a very large club. The Sunday morning foamy fliers like to come out early to beat any wind that might come up later in the day, and they come out in droves. Now the foamies are so small that they can fly their full racetrack pattern within the width of the runway. And so, both their upwind leg, and their downwind leg are over the runway. In addition to that, any of their flip flop maneuvers take place within the center of the racetrack pattern. Now here's the kicker. Because every one is flying 2.4 Ghz now, there might be 7 - 10 in the air at one time. Once this Sunday morning group has established themselves on the field they are reluctant to give up the field to anyone who might come along later. And so as they land, just pop in another battery that they have in their pocket, and keep on flying. If they hit each other, it's no big deal, you all know that. It's plain lack of courtesy that keeps any late comers from flying, as they are afraid to fly because of the fear of loosing a bigger and more expensive bird. It's as if the off the shelf, ready to fly foamy, has created a whole different kind of modeler that didn't exist before ? Maybe a type of modeler that should be flying at a special field ?

Thanks for listening guys, and there is no need to get nasty.

Ed
Old 06-21-2011, 12:46 PM
electricrc68
Banned

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

Electric....is this really how you would handle a situation like that?

ORIGINAL: electricrc68

probably. its what i do with my cars......

Old 06-21-2011, 05:55 PM
green river rc
My Feedback: (2)

Sound like the "larger birds" are in the minority, don't be surprised if you are the one asked to go elsewhere.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:58 PM
Ed

" Sound like the "larger birds" are in the minority, don't be surprised if you are the one asked to go elsewhere. "

That's true, it could come to that, and if you fly .40 and up, you might be next.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:14 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Exactly what is the problem?

Old 06-22-2011, 08:13 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why don't you bring this up as a topic at the next club meeting and have a civil discussion regarding use of the field by all? Flying fields are disappearing fast these days and are harder and harder to come by. Why don't we just figure out how to accomodate and embrace ALL types of flying contraptions?

I hardly believe that our hobby can continue to grow and thrive if we continue to "divide" ourselves.

It has been my experience that if handled in a civil manner, an amenable agreement can be made.

Regards,

Astrohog
Old 06-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Disarray

I think I would get out my foam eating plane and fly the circuit with them. I think my 22lb, 2x4 fuse, 8' span plywood wing would do the trick. Of course that would be after I got done flying my meanicing foamies.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:34 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Two simple solutions to the entire problem:

1: institute a limit on the number of airborne aircraft. My club is large, at typically 150+ members and we have a 4 aircraft limit. We also only have 4 pilot stations and club rules require one to stand in a station while flying.

2: revisit the use of the "taxiway" concept used on the old frequency boards. Pilots wanting to fly have to queue up by placing their membership card/AMA card/ frequency pin on or in a pole, pocket, etc. One pilot lands, the next in the taxiway gets to fly, or gives a pass to the guy behind him.

Above all, open a frank discussion about this issue. Maybe set time slots for the small foamie guys to fly en-mass, say 7-10am weekends, etc.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:45 AM
Pretorian435

We have a large mix of Electrics of all sizes, helis and large 3D aircraft at our club. We seem to have an unspoken rule that allows pilots to cycle as the day goes. A few big guys go up, then take a break as a few small Electrics go up, later some helis, in no particular pattern. We also have some former pattern competitors who go up, some of our more experienced members, and we let that pilot have the whole sky, though they have never asked. With more helis coming out we do have one end of ur field we can ask them to fly at so they are not in the flight pattern, but still on our field.

I can see how being inundated with small foamies or even newbies could clog things up. Your question is actually a very important one that in some way affects most clubs, even if its not about foamies at a particular club, it may be helis... Maybe setting aside an end of the field for those pilots to fly within? I am sure something can be worked out that keeps every one happy without banishing anyone.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:57 AM
Ed

Finally, a responsible answer. Thanks Hemi, and Pretorian. Our club is at 200 +, we have 6 pilot stations. and yes, it's abused. I've seen as many as 10 foamies, gas, and glow mixed in the air. Yes, we are out of control. The safety officer is an old retired week day guy who is not there on Sundays, and if an officer is present on Sundays, he won't step up and say anything. They think that all them airplanes in the air at the same time is fun; wheee, look at them go. Fortunately, the issue is under discussion by many within the club, and what I am going to do is write an email to every member of the board, and refer him to this thread. If in this thread, people agree that the situation within our club is a problem, perhaps it will open their eyes. Is anyone else is finding this a problem in their club, please speak up ?

Thanks again, and please keep any new ideas coming.

ed
Old 06-24-2011, 08:27 AM
Mike in DC

Interesting problem, Ed. I also belong to a quite large club (200+ members), but I've never seen this kind of problem. I don't think I've ever seen 10 people wanting to fly at the same time ever. NM is a big place, no? It seems to me you could create a separate area for the foamies, just like my club does for helicopters. It sounds like the foamies don't need all that much space. I'm thinking that's what we'd do at our club, if it ever became a problem. At our club, I doubt it would ever become "us against them" though, because most of the really active members seem to fly a variety of planes.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:37 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Finally, a responsible answer. Thanks Hemi, and Pretorian. Our club is at 200 +, we have 6 pilot stations. and yes, it's abused. I've seen as many as 10 foamies, gas, and glow mixed in the air. Yes, we are out of control. The safety officer is an old retired week day guy who is not there on Sundays, and if an officer is present on Sundays, he won't step up and say anything. They think that all them airplanes in the air at the same time is fun; wheee, look at them go. Fortunately, the issue is under discussion by many within the club, and what I am going to do is write an email to every member of the board, and refer him to this thread. If in this thread, people agree that the situation within our club is a problem, perhaps it will open their eyes. Is anyone else is finding this a problem in their club, please speak up ?

Thanks again, and please keep any new ideas coming.

ed
There is your first problem, a lack of enforcement of rules that already exist. A meeting needs to be held to elect a new safety officer and then everyone needs to obey the rules or find a new place to fly. We have a 5 plane in the air rule period! Most of us fly all types of aircraft/power combo's and it's not an issue. Our field has a no glow/gas before 10am rule because of noise restrictions, so the electrics are flown then and later in the day alot of us fly electric after we have packed up the nitro/gas planes. No doubt the foamy is here to stay and it's what got me back into flying and then into gas. There is room for all of us, and if your field is big enough you could limit the small foam planes and heli's to one end of the field. The main thing is to get everybody talking about the problem and establish some rules that all can live with. Make friends, not enemies with your flying brothers

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.