Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Never thought it could happen to ME !!

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Never thought it could happen to ME !!

Old 06-27-2011, 03:01 PM
Rick.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Never thought it could happen to ME !!

i know this is an ic forum, but on a safety note, its worth remembering that big electrics can be just as bad for chewing people, especially since when armed all it takes is an accidental nudge on the throttle to get an instant 9000rpm or so on a gas engine sized prop.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:53 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Invariably these kind of incidents occur when an individual departs from a preset and practiced routine. I work in safety in very high hazard environments, and human error is far more likely when the proper routine/procedure is not followed. We must be absolutely dedicated to following the same routine each and every time. As soon as you recognize you have departed from your routine, START OVER from the beginning.

For me, its

1. Place the plane in the restraint.
2. Fuel the plane.
3. Stand on the left side behind the main wing.
4. verify all switches are off.
5. Turn on the transmitter.
6. Turn on the reciever.
7. Verify control surface movement.
8. Turn on ignition.
9. Verify ignition kill works (red led).
10. Verify plane is in the tailhook.
11. Move to the front of the plane.
12. Grab the spinner firmly and set the choke.
13. Flip until the engine barks,
14. Turn off Choke.
15. Start the engine.
16. Move away from the prop and get behind the plane.
17. After the flight, all switches off, the plane goes back in the holder.
Same routine, every time.

Its good to have someone else at the field if the worst happens, but its far better to prevent it in the first place.

Brad
Old 06-28-2011, 06:36 AM
wyo69cowboy
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Red Raider

Hi, John:
Glad you're sort of OK. Getting cut like that is a really scary injury and unfortunately for guys our age, is more difficult to deal with than it was when we were younger. Like you, I'm particularly careful when flying and never, well, rarely ever go flying alone. I've been flying for over 25years and have learned a lot about what and what not to do.

I've flown nearly every type of aircraft and consider myself to be an advanced pilot, but, I'm relatively new to gas engines. I'm just starting to learn to appreciate the simplicity, and economy of the newer, larger gas engines. The other day, I was at the field with my Super Decathalon powered by a CRRC 40Pro. The engine is still new with only about 1/2 a gallon through it. As I was taxiing out, I let the idle get a little slow and the engine died. Rather than push the plane back to the pits, I thought to myself, ''hey, this is a gas engine, I can just hand start it.'' (Previously this plane was flying with an OS 160 and I always used an electric starter.) So that's what I did. No tie down, no one out there to hold it, transmitter in one hand, prop in the other. I had inadvertantly pushed the throttle up about 25%. The engine started on the first flip and came at me with a vengeance. Being down on my knees I could have been seriously injured except that I was quick enough to get a hand on it and hold it back. Scared the hell out of me. I knew right then that I dodged a bullet. If that was not wake-up call enough, your story really puts the exclamation point to mine.

Thanks for sharing your story with all of us. And for those knuckle heads like me that on occasion do stupid things, we really thank you!!

Steve
I had a similar situation I got myself into last fall: starting my DLE55, I did not have my normal strap restraint, so I used my 5# weight bag around the gear. I normally put the throttle at half, flip with choke till it pops, then reduce to idle, open the choke, and flip away. Did all that, but didn't reduce throttle back to idle. She took off at half throttle, pivoted around the gear and tipped forward, shredding the prop. Missed me by inches! Scared the crap outta me; always restrain your bird properly was my lesson!
Old 06-28-2011, 07:18 PM
Uncas

Good story John, sorry for your suffering.

That is a definate gotcha situation. The plane too often seems to roll a back a bit away from the restraint fooling you into the danger zone.. Maybe someone can build a better restraint?
Old 06-28-2011, 11:13 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Uncas

........................Maybe someone can build a better restraint?
There's only so much anti-stupid that can be dealt with by design, rules, or regulation.
At some point we just plain got to be responsible for our actions, or lack there of.

I'm constantly amazed at the number of folks that stand in FRONT of a spinning prop & rev it up.
Once it's running, the safe place is BEHIND it!
Old 06-29-2011, 03:35 AM
tande
My Feedback: (48)

ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

ORIGINAL: Uncas

........................Maybe someone can build a better restraint?
There's only so much anti-stupid that can be dealt with by design, rules, or regulation.
At some point we just plain got to be responsible for our actions, or lack there of.

I'm constantly amazed at the number of folks that stand in FRONT of a spinning prop & rev it up.

Once it's running, the safe place is BEHIND it!
+1000!!
Old 06-29-2011, 01:05 PM
wyo69cowboy

You never know what might happen at the field: last weekend, at an area fly-in, was flying my Eflite Beaver, had my spotter next to me on the flight line, when another pilot taxied his electric trainer out. As he ran it up to move out on the runway, the prop/collet flew off. Prop landed about 2' from me and my spotter! Higher rpm/closer taxi woulda been a lot more exciting for us! All fun and games until someone gets an eye poked out
Old 06-29-2011, 02:13 PM
Guitarman52

Brings back memories of last year. I lost the first joint of my little finger and flesh on 3 others. It was eerily similar to your accident. After some hand surgery, pain, and expenses I try to pay much closer attention to what I am doing. Hope you heal soon and very glad that it wasnt any worse than it was.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:16 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lesson learned is that one should check the throttle position before starting the engine. That should be a habit.

On electric models, ESC sort of does the monitoring and will not start the motor unless the throttle is moved to idle first.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:59 PM
Capt Cash

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. As a few others have chimed in with similar experiences, this has been a real eye opener for me.

I'm still fairly new to RC and am already running large scale gas engines. I'm accident free so far and I will be sure to inform my club members of the always heightened safety that is needed. Just a few moments inattention can lead to life alertering consequenses.

I think I'm going to only use the inground wing pole restraints at my field when starting my large gas engine planes now. The tie down/tail restraint is certaintly just as effective but leaves slightly more room for error.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:41 PM
scooterinvegas

I was out flying today and got BIT! Two of my fingers, one stopped bleeding after about an hour but the other was still bleeding 3 hours later. The bad one was to the bone. When I got home, I CA it shut and made a splint out of popsicle sticks and red duct tape! Im good to go tomorrow. But I will not be starting that damn plane without an electric starter.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:42 PM
RTK

Tomorrow is too late scooter, they don't like to stitch a wound that has been open for over 8 hours. Get in before that or you will have a much slower healing process.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:02 PM
boex

ORIGINAL: scooterinvegas

I was out flying today and got BIT! Two of my fingers, one stopped bleeding after about an hour but the other was still bleeding 3 hours later. The bad one was to the bone. When I got home, I CA it shut and made a splint out of popsicle sticks and red duct tape! Im good to go tomorrow. But I will not be starting that damn plane without an electric starter.
Sorry to hear that, you should probably be taking some oral antibiotics and vaccinated against tetanus.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:28 PM
scooterinvegas

ORIGINAL: RTK

Tomorrow is too late scooter, they don't like to stitch a wound that has been open for over 8 hours. Get in before that or you will have a much slower healing process.
I was talking about flying.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:19 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

That's real crazy thinking here Scooter, get those cuts fixed up professionally right quick.

Karol
Old 07-05-2011, 10:02 AM
RTK

Gotta say one thing, you are tough. Anytime I see a bone with no meat or skin on it I have it fixed.

Let me tell you a little story. I had a friend who was about 65, he was out castrating cattle when he nicked his thumb. Nothing bad just a little cut, he rinsed it and bandage it up. A few days later he had a systemic infection. The docs put a port in him to deliver antibiotics, tried a couple of different ones but in the end it was too late. He passed 1 month after the little cut.
Moral of the story, you never know and it is not worth the risk.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:01 PM
scooterinvegas

Its fine. It was a APC that kicked back and started in reverse. I cleaned it with rubbing alcohol and re-glued it twice a day for two days till it stopped bleeding. The tip is a little numb, but its looking good. I cut the finger next to it in a similar fashion 20 yr ago, but a little deeper, stake boarding naked with a beer in my hand.....(dont ask) And it healed very slowly. This one looks a lot better.

If it was something dirty or something that could have bacteria on it, I would have gone to the ER. Thanks, Scott

Come to think of it, maybe I should just take rubbing alcohol with me to the field and rub the props down before starting anymore engines. That would freak some people out. :-)
Old 07-05-2011, 09:43 PM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: boex

Sorry to hear that, you should probably be taking some oral antibiotics and vaccinated against tetanus.
There is always the chance of Styph infection.I no
BCCHI
Old 07-06-2011, 04:20 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Was the ER that far away. I'm quite sure that you would never give the actions you are taking as advice to someone else.

Karol
Old 07-06-2011, 05:02 AM
fuelie

sorry to hear bout acident, john. last week i was holding fuselage of plane with left hand, starting engine with right hand. engine started in reverse. as i moved right hand to transmitter, my left arm lowered into spinning prop. results: trip to er, 8 stitches under forearm bout half way between elbow and wrist.i didnt think it could happen. been flying bout 20 yrs. it did happen and can happen to anybody. so please be careful, everyone. these things will hurt you bad. and when you least expect it.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:48 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dad and I fly a lot together, and we both large aircraft. We use restraints, but I still prefer to have hands on a plane in the event something happens. I like to be able to kill the ignition switch just in case.