Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Great Planes Revolver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Great Planes Revolver

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 06:01 PM
furn1593

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Great Planes Revolver

Lots of flying today.... yay! The bad.... Left side gear starting to get some stress cracks just outside the bolts where it makes a sharp bend. Any one have a spare? Motor is getting nice and loose... Im so tempted to go high HP and get this machine MOVING!!
Old 07-07-2011, 07:08 PM
lippucci

I have a spare. But would not be doing you a favor if I sent it to you. Suggest you replace both sides with an all purpose Dubro single gear. Much more durable. Before installing, double reinforce the hardwood gear attachment. A very bad weakness in this bird.

Norm
Old 07-07-2011, 09:01 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

furn1583 - I see you're in Greenlawn. Do you fly at the Polo field in Bethpage State Park? That IS probably the smoothest grass landing strip I've seen (was a guest there once). Looks like a good club - nice planes and good flyers.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:59 AM
furn1593

yea - at the polo field, real nice and smooth, almost as smooth at pavement, althought the horses have been using it quite a bit.
lippicci - I will take the spare... let me know how you want to work out the logistics. I was thinking that i would recess a piano wire on the underside of the old gear, sand fill and paint. Just like the looks of the original gear over the dubro.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:18 AM
flyboy0608

Any one selling wheel plants for the revolver 59. Please let me know. Thanks ! !
Old 08-21-2011, 05:55 PM
clmooring

Well I managed to get out to the flying field with my new revolver 59 a couple of times so far. I sneak out there when I am pretty sure I will have it to myself. I don't want to run over anyone or anything as I have not been flying for a while.

Nervous as heck but things went pretty well. Does well enough on the os46 for me. flies very straight and stable. Goes where I point it. I only have a 4 channel trainer radio on it so no spoilers or flapperons (sp?). So I am having little trouble slowing down for landings. So far I manage to get it on the runway without much trouble. I think my trailing antenna wire has been getting caught under the tail wheel causing it to occasionally to be come uncontrollable on the run out. It is my first tail dragger, so it could just be my skills. To fix the potential problem I have tapped the tailing antenna wire to the bottom of the rudder. It doesn't interfere with the rudder movement and will hopefully keep the antenna clear of the gear.

my biggest problem right now is the tail wheel does not track straight with the rudder either. doesn't cause trouble on take off but like I said the run out is where I have the problem.

I appreciate the responses to my earlier post and all of the good information from posters in this forum.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:04 PM
microdon2

clmooring - I'd recommend installing a third party rear landing gear. It'll be stronger and allow you to adjust the angle of the wheel. After that you might want to upgrade or reinforce the main gear, use Robart hinges on the tail section, reinforce the engine box ...
Old 08-21-2011, 06:37 PM
clmooring

Can you do that even after installing the great planes original? Seems like it would pretty much rip up the rudder and the end of the fuselage.

Any thoughts on how to retrofit?
Old 09-03-2011, 12:57 AM
StuartARowe

Hi Phil

Came across your post when searching to find out how on earth you get a Saito 82 into a Revolver (first proper ART build by the way). Saw the micro server in your picture which solved part of the issue I was having with the throttle - neat.

My second problem was I could only get the distance from the fuselage to the washer about 123mm instead of the 117mm recommended which you've managed. How did to get your Saito closer to the bulk head? The nuts on the back of my carb hit the screws that hold the engineplatform in place. Did you shave some of the platform off to reduce the distance.

Thanks

Stuart
Old 09-03-2011, 12:45 PM
mike early

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had to shave the nylon mounts on a few different planes.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:02 PM
microdon2

clmooring - If you cant' dig the stock rear gear out then cut it off with a hack saw - it only puts un-needed pressure on the rudder hinges. If you make a hole when digging it out fill it up with epoxy and cover with white trim - you'll never notice it.

fun1583 - I just joined Whitman Flyers a the last month's meeting - guess I'll be seeing you at the polo field soon!
Old 09-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Chancho

Stuart,

Ihad to cut the one leg of the nylon mount and also remove some firewall so that every thing could clear.Originally Imade some elaborate support bracketry but it's not necessary. The last Revolver Iended just drilling aonther through hole on mount with the missing mounting hole and moveing the blind nut to it's new location. It's a couple years flying like that and snug as a bug... The Firewall box is amazingly robust and capable even with the missing material for the carb andthe larger engine.... I do reinforce all ARF firewalls on the inside corners with some epoxy with fiber glass - nothing too overboard, but it helps. "I hope that helps, too."

Old 09-05-2011, 01:30 AM
StuartARowe

Thanks Phil

Why didn't I think of drilling another hole!!
Old 09-05-2011, 08:48 AM
Chancho

Stuart,

You didn't think of it because your not my wife - she knows everything!

That's one of the best perks in this hobby, the comradely. Get another coffee, scratch the head some more and have fun with your build…. Don’t forget to post a flight report and or pictures when she’s all done, too!
P.S. “My 2 cents on the Saito throttle setups:”For the Saito I used the Du-Bro 4-stroke throttle linkage kits.They really cleaned up the movement for the throttle.I removed the micro servo experiment way back and just use the regular el ‘Cheapo servo for throttle. Also, I’ve found that my Saitos like the 9 point (or how many other point) programmable throttle positions to help with transitions – if you have the ability to do so in your radio.It’s probably just me, but by putting a curve in the radio I’ve found I’m much less likely to have the engine cut out if it were cold or idling too long or whatever reason when you jam the stick forward.So I set the engine up with the normal low and high needle settings and the last thing I do is adjust the throttle curve to really clean up the transition.
Take it easy,
Old 09-06-2011, 02:09 AM
StuartARowe

Phil

Could you do me a massive favour and post a picture of your current throttle set up? It'll save me a ton of time. Don't worry if you can't but I'd really appreciate it.

Stuart
Old 09-10-2011, 05:00 PM
clmooring

microdon2 - thanks for the explanation on the tail wheel. after reading, it is obvious. That is what forums are for i guess. I appreciate the help!

So a couple of weeks ago, I did a bouncing landing on the paved taxi way I fly off at Fentress Auxiliary NAF. As I was close to the edge of the taxi way and the revolver would come down in a controlled landing in the tall grass, I decided for that option rather than gunning for an aborted landing and a go around. Turned out to be a bad decision. I guess the landing gear caught in the grass causing it to fold up underneath the fuselage. The square of wood the landing gear was attached to broke out perfectly intact; almost as if by design.

I repaired the gear by adding two more cross members; 1 directly behind the firewall and a second behind the aft panel where the gear connected. I used liberal appoxy to put the new cross members and the original square of wood the gear is attached to back in place. I think the structure is actually stronger now than before.

The only remaining problem is that the left strut has some cracks which cause the plane to sit tilted to the left. I am worried that the left strut will eventually break... If anyone has a left strut or a pair they want to sell let me know.

I was back flying at the field today. I mentioned earlier in this forum that I bought the revolver because I love the looks of it and it is supposed to be challenging to land. Well despite ripping the gear out, I think I am getting the hang of landing her. She lands fine as long as I fly her to the ground or as close as I can get. I tend to cut throttle completely about a foot off the runway. She lands a little fast but predictably.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:03 AM
clmooring

I am interested in replacing the tail wheel with the sullivan tail wheel kit. I am not sure how to mount the tail wheel bracket on the fuselage. The kit provides blind nuts, but with the model already assembled there is no way, at least that I can see, to use nuts that far back inside the model.

So I am thinking wood screws and epoxy.

I wood really be interested hear from others how they installed brackets like the sullivan kit.

thanks
Old 09-18-2011, 10:25 AM
flyboy0608

Hello,....

I cut out a little piece of balsa ( the same size as the sullivan bracket j) from the bottom tail wheel section of the plane and and replaced it with some light plywood and then drill your holes into the plywood where your screws would go. The plywood will be enough to hold the tail wheel. Then cover it bak on with the same or new monokote you cut out.

Good luck !
Old 09-18-2011, 10:48 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you guys read back some posts and see how i did the firewall and gear you will never have another problem with them coming apart. My method is the lightest and strongest. You need to look at the design and failure to see see what needs to be fixed. Adding any wood or aluminum as a plate on the bottom only adds weight and very little strength.

For the fire wall need to cut one inch on the box and glue in a new fire wall. fiberglass like i did. I put a OS120AX in mine and fly straight and level at 145 mph. i have built many of these and know where all the failure points are.
Here are two of it flying. I did recover it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDbOPIMuylE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TRgyqgiPtQ
Old 09-18-2011, 05:55 PM
clmooring

Flyboy / Airraptor - thanks for the quick feedback.

Flyboy - I think I understand exactly what you did and it seems pretty straight forward.

Airraptor - this is a very long thread and you have a lot of good post in it. but after quite a bit of searching I have yet to find your post on replacing the tail wheel and strengthening the landing gear.

thanks again. I love this plane.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:49 PM
microdon2

Airraptor - can you give us the post # where you talk about reinforcing your gear?

btw - in your vids your Revolver is incredibly fast. My favorite part on the first video is where the plane goes into orbit for a minute or so.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:44 AM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

I should get around to assembling mine in the next week. OS 55 for power.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:50 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will look for post number for ya.

post 1605, 2485 and 2542 is what i have found so far. Read all of page 100 from top. I can reload pics if needed.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:02 PM
flyboy0608

super08,

If you are going to build the revolver 70, an OS55AX will really be underpowered for your plane. That engine is more for the small revolver rather than the big 70 size. Believe me,..you will be disapointed. If you are going to go with a 2 stroke, maybe a 75AX or 95AX will be better. Mine has gthe 95AX and I get very good verticle with a 14X8 around 9800 RPMs. a 13X6 will give me around more speed at around 11000 RPMs but less verticle. I would reconsider your engine size for that plane. good luck !!

Old 09-19-2011, 12:09 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

This thread is for the smaller Revolver not the 70" one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.