Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Nitro Engine Troubleshooting and Tuning

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Nitro Engine Troubleshooting and Tuning

Old 03-15-2009, 03:04 PM
hamy02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitro Engine Troubleshooting and Tuning

ive got a force .26 that i can not seem to get running. i have checked the fuel lines and tank and doesnt seem like there is anything wrong if i blow on the line from the exhaust to the tank i can get fuel through the carb but i still cant get the motor to fire. glow plug is good but im wonering if mayeb it could be the backplate i had it off and reinstalled it any ideas to see if it is leakign or maye any other suggestions as to why i cant get it to start? thanks
Old 07-10-2011, 08:18 AM
chuckygetlucky

I have the same problem with my earthquake 3.5. I took engine apart to find the crankshaft and one way bearing aren't meshing properly, as if the nipple on the crankshaft doesn't set into the one way bearing enough. I think the nipple should be longer on the crankshaft or maybe it has worn down over uses. starter box seems to be the way to go. But does anyone know which starter box works well with earthquake 1/8 scale. Thanks in advance for any help here.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:26 AM
chuckygetlucky

noticed a lot of people talking about not running properly and people suggesting high and low speed needle tuning. I'll tell you first before you do anything count number of screw turns to bottom out screws. Be careful dont over tighten. once you know the number of screws take both needles out and clean the needles and carb, it's probably a little sticky from nitro fuel oil. Once they are clean put back together and adjust back to the screw turns you recorded before you started. Now prime line and start then do your adjusting. I could not tune my truck for nothing until i cleaned the carb and needles. Good luck everyone. And if you want to check for leaks on backplate take exhaust off. put some soapy water around the engine and base of carb. Plug exhaust with thumb and blow into carb fuel line. Check for bubbles .if you see bubble you have an air leak. if not issue is something else.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:00 PM
lakesrunner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought I'd revive this thread a bit. I got my Volcano s30 in the beginning of Summer, and had it tuned perfectly imo. I was using a medium tempplug after the initial stockone went out. Now that the tempherewent from 95 to 65 I've used a hot plug and can't get a good tune everytime. I've readtempertaure doesn't affect tuning and some say itdoes.Went through 3 plugs in a day once trying to find the sweet spot, probably not a worst case scenario but still frustrating. My plugs that did went bad had the coils pushed in, not broken. So I was thinking too hard compression, or toorich, I did go seriously too lean once I thinkand had adark brown on the edge around the endof the plug, it too had a squashed coil. Just want to know from some experienced folks out there that might have an answer. Trial and error learning is good, just can't spend a fortune on new plugs.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:19 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some factors that affect fuel mixture. Temp, humidity, barometric pressure, altitude, fuel storage conditions, different plugs, gearing. If your glow element is suffering damage I would suspect it is too hot and causing detonation.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:39 PM
ehroof

Temperature definitely affects the tune of a nitro engine. If the coil is pulled in it was running too hot/lean.. usually you richen the mix for a hot plug. Start with base settings (3 out on each needle from closed snug) and tune from there.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:46 PM
Wiytboi

OK I have earthquake 3.5  when i try to start it i end up haveing to rasie the idle stop high to get it to start.. but the it starts taking off on its own..when i turn it back down it dies or when it starts it runs for a secon and dies. how or what do i adjust to get the idle where it should be so it doesn't move and keep it running? i was guessing it is the LSN that needs to be adjusted but does it need to be richened or leaned?
Old 03-31-2013, 05:25 AM
Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: Wiytboi

OK I have earthquake 3.5 when i try to start it i end up haveing to rasie the idle stop high to get it to start.. but the it starts taking off on its own..when i turn it back down it dies or when it starts it runs for a secon and dies. how or what do i adjust to get the idle where it should be so it doesn't move and keep it running? i was guessing it is the LSN that needs to be adjusted but does it need to be richened or leaned?
When your engine is cold it is common to need a higher idle for a few minutes. Are you using your throttle trim to bump your throttle up a bit? I set my linkage so when my trim is at neutral the carb will be in the idle position, this way if you turn up your trim, it will increase your throttle just a bit while starting and warming up. Another thing you can do is instead of starting it and trying to have it stay put while it warms up, start it in a open area and as soon as you fire it up, let it just roll with the trim up until it warms up. Just steer it without trying to apply throttle for about a minute. Then as it warms up you just back off your trim until its not applying throttle anymore. For the LSN, use the pinch test. Once your engine is warmed up, pinch the fuel line. If it takes longer than 3 seconds to start stalling, it's too rich, turn in on the LSN in small increments. If its less than 3 seconds, it's too lean, turn out on the LSN.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:49 PM
wikitjuggla

i have an aftershock 3.5 and i spend more time trying to make it stay running than i do driving it, i spent 3 or 4 hours just trying to keep it running out of the box, they didn't have the low speed needle set even remotely close, it wouldn't even sputter for the first hour, now once i get it tuned, 3 or 4 tanks later it just keeps pulling the same thing with dying every 2 seconds. I read another thread on here about the aftershock 3.5 as their first nitro car almost give up the hobby cause of the thing. I see where they are coming from. Second tank after break in stripped the spur gear, i replaced it with a steel gear, and they didn't use threadlock on anything when they made it