Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Your Best Norvel engine mods

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Your Best Norvel engine mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 11:20 PM
Msaint
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your Best Norvel engine mods

Is there any mods I should be looking to do to my norvel engines. I basicaly usually just break them in and run the things.
When they wear out I pop another one on if the plane survives that long.

My cox engines for the most part get ran on the test stand and put in my look at collection with the exception of the .020s and .010s. The lil dinker cox engines get flown. I think this may be due to the democratic russian engine manufacture not producing engines in this size range. So I would like to make sure im getting the most out of my norvels.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:58 AM
fastlash
My Feedback: (7)

Default yup

there is alot you can do but the most important is to make the right fuel, prop and head shim selections in accordance with the airframe yur try'in to pull around, just go over the past post's there is a ton of Ideas here, but you got's the right idea the old coxists belong in a display case, Okay boy's we have another McNasty Norvelite in the making, welcome to our kingdom
Old 05-08-2003, 01:11 AM
Msaint

Heh I have been poking around but seem to find a tidbit here and a tidbit there. I was hoping to get all the input in one place so I could make heads or tales of things and get some things debated by the engine gurus all in one place.

Much easier to scroll down one thred than to try to make heads or tails of multiple posts in multiple threads heh

I also need something to get all these tempting cox mods off my brain. But I keep looking at the Norvels and thinking DARN THERES NOTHING TO DO!
Old 05-08-2003, 01:43 AM
Nitro-Nut

Default a pic is worth a thousand werds...

Hey,

I found this pic of the Norvey's guts ( thanks Jeff )

If you can.. dump the muffler, make a pipe... my stock big mig 061 is running 27590 on 30%n/castor with a homemade pipe.

You may be able to aquire one of those nifty carbon fiber pipes from A. J. Coholic Technologies.... and really go to town!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	76735_18200.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	45700  
Old 05-08-2003, 11:30 AM
Japanman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on what you want, I think there is a bit to be desired in the R/C carb dept. Especially if you get one of the bad carbs with too much clearance between the barrell and the carb body...
I have converted my carb on my .074 to be of metering type, i.e with two needles. \even with a 5.7/3 apc it will idle down really low (and i don`t mean 4 or 5 thousand revs here!), and run at any throttle setting for any amount of time. Its not a hard mod.. can be done without a lathe.. and i think its worth it.
J.M
Old 05-08-2003, 05:56 PM
RysiuM
My Feedback: (1)

Default Norvel 061 mods

I used run my engines right out of the box, but both Norvels I have, had the same problem with the carb. They just didn't run right:

1. Can't shut down the engine.
The oval head screw used to limit the throttle arm movement is not allowing to shut down the engine, or if I reposition the throttle arm on the barrel, it doesn't go to full open. The movement is to narrow. I used a Dremel tool to shave off some of the oval head screw to allow a little more than 90 degree movement on the barrel. Then I can shut down this engine like all bigger I have.

2. Air leak at carb.
This tiny engine doesn't take much air to run, so even small air leak can screw up the mixture. On both Norvels I have (AME 061 and Big Mig 061) I had the same issue. Full open is to rich, idle is to lean. You can't do much about it with only one needle. I guessed it must be a tiny air leak which makes idle lean. I found, that barrel is quite loose so it might get some air from the carb side (there is no o-ring between barrel and carb body). I have repositioned throttle arm on the barrel to allow the barrel go deeper into carb by half turn. It's OK since the air opening in the barrel is symmetrical. Extra half thread sealed the leak enough to run OK on both ends of RPM.

3. Leak at the glow plug.
When engine is running I see bubbles and oil spill near the glow plug. This engine is just leaking on the head gasket. I t doesn't affect the performance and RPM readings are as expected, but I don't like this messy stuff. I tried all I can think of: tighten up the head, put a new gasket, remove one or add one extra, even I polished the glow plug and the gasket (using 2000 sandpaper and automotive polish paste). Both looked like a glass, but the leak is still here. Any suggestions?

Now the question of the day: Anyone try to replace standard muffler with tuned pipe on 061 (or 049)?

RysiuM
Old 05-10-2003, 09:26 PM
Msaint

Actually I have been considering making a true stinger type tuned pipe and header for my norvel Im going to put on my lanier dominator. Mount the engine on a downward 45 and sling the pipe between some aluminum taildrager gear.
Old 05-13-2003, 01:26 AM
MarkD

Default Norvel Carb Mod

JapanMan,

do you have any pictures or info on how you converted the Norvel RC carb to a 2 needle type?

Thanks,

Mark D
Old 05-13-2003, 11:22 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

In our club, we do 1/2a combats using mostly norvels and ap. An easy mod to the norvel was to drill the stock muffler outlet 2 drill bit sizes larger (do it in 2 steps). Gained an average of about 1000 rpm. Noticeable pitch change while flying too. The ap guys swap heads and put norvel heads on the ap engine. They claim its a little hotter than the modified norvels. I dont see it. They look pretty evenly matched to me.
Edwin
Old 05-13-2003, 12:35 PM
Japanman

Default twin needle mods

Mark,
I`ll post a picture soon, i have a bit to catch up on here though.
I did a further mod to my norvel carb today, and i will include how to do this.

J.M
Old 05-13-2003, 02:10 PM
Crash90
My Feedback: (17)

So. With a norvel .15 and 2 shims in the head. What nitro content should I run?
Old 07-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Yogenh

Default RE: Your Best Norvel engine mods

I would love to know where I can get the Norvel engines. I have a .061 big mig and the .075 big mig. I would like to get more because they run so well. So any help would be great
Paul
Old 07-10-2011, 12:55 PM
uliner
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Your Best Norvel engine mods

ORIGINAL: Yogenh

I would love to know where I can get the Norvel engines. I have a .061 big mig and the .075 big mig. I would like to get more because they run so well. So any help would be great
Paul
http://www.nvengines.com/