Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

dx 6-i

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 06:45 AM
schlussadler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dx 6-i

Hello, I have been flying BNF Horizon Hobby products with a 5E for two years. If i buy a plane that requires programming I understand the need for the 6-i but what good does a 6-i do for me if the plane doesn't require programming other than the fact that i can bind several planes to the 6-i. Also is there any more complete book explaining the 6-i besides the online manual that comes with the radio. if I find a 6-i that's a DSM2 will it work with a DSMX receiver? Thanks for any help.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:01 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: dx 6-i

ORIGINAL: schlussadler

Hello, I have been flying BNF Horizon Hobby products with a 5E for two years. If i buy a plane that requires programming I understand the need for the 6-i but what good does a 6-i do for me if the plane doesn't require programming other than the fact that i can bind several planes to the 6-i. Also is there any more complete book explaining the 6-i besides the online manual that comes with the radio. if I find a 6-i that's a DSM2 will it work with a DSMX receiver? Thanks for any help.
Manuals are always an issue. They either do not explain the details in a language you can understand or they leave out information that you need to know. There are some 3rd party books that help to fill in some of the gaps and there is Addendum posted on the Horizon site that helps.

Lower end RC radios have less Programming than higher end RC radios. That is one reason why they are cheaper. It is not obvious, when you buy an RC radio, whether or not it will meet your needs for now, and in the future, even after you have played with it for a week. It is best to visit an RC Trade Show, your LHS, or a local RC club, to get advise.

A 5ch radio has the four basic channels plus Retracts. A 6ch radio adds Flaps. If any of these radios have Programmable Mixing or Canned Programs like Flapperons, you can use the extra channels to put multiple servos on separate channels and mix them.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:46 AM
ror

A bigger feature of a programable radio is you can program the sensitively of the controls by adding EXPO which makes the stick less sensitive around the zero position.
You can also limit the max travel of a servo so it is less sensitive.

Simply put, you can customize the controls to fit you and the type of flying you want to do at the time.
You can also store these setting for next time you come to flying field. Different radios can storedifferent numbers of profile settings.
At the flick of a switch you can setup the plane for just gentle flying or for doing stunts.
Same goes for helis.
On electrics it is important for safety reason to program a throttle hold switch at 0% throttle so if you accidently hit the throttle stick nothing will happen.

You get what you pay for.
I have a DX8 and love it. With the current offer of 2 Rx with a DX8+telemetry module, how can you refuse.
I could live with the DX6i if I had too. But it is only money...enjoy it.

A DSM2 Tx will not operate a true DSMX only Rx but most likely the Rx is capable of DSM2 as well. Look up specs of Rx.
So a DSM2 Tx can operate a Rx in DSM2mode.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:49 PM
schlussadler

Thank you for your reply. I am afraid I am nowhere near the flight experience of you but sort of understand your point. I think if i buy a plane that Horizon suggests a 6-i for i will just go with it.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:07 PM
ror

DX6i is just fine. It will allow you to setup and save 10 different models.
With the DX5e you have to manually change everytime for each model.
The DX6i will remember your different setups for up to 10 models.
If one model needs a servo reversed, the DX6i will remember that but on the DX5e you must manually change that yourself.

Good luck.