Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How to repair elevator....

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How to repair elevator....

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 09:48 AM
kenv56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to repair elevator....

Hi, the other day I was flying my Goldberg anniversary cub and in flight the wooden dowel rod connecting the elevator
halves snapped. I managed to land it ok i think, scraped the nose of the plane and that's about it.
Any way i was wondering if there is a better system to join the elevator halves.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:53 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: How to repair elevator....

Have you thought about using a separate servo to control each half? Just keep that one side as it is and ad a push rod and another servo to the other half. It's alot of work but it's worth it.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Steve Steinbring

You can replace the broken wooden dowel with a metal connecting bar if you want to stay with a single servo setup.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:32 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As is stated replace wooden connector with metal. Use a piece of about 3/32 piano wire. Bend both ends 90 degrees. insert in holes drilled in each elev. about 3 inchers apart. In other words 90 degree bends shall be 3"apart or more. Be sure both bends are perfectly parrallel to each other. This is thr most common and best method.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:48 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One of the CG Cubs I finished building for a friend just a short time ago. I never use an attached elevator, all the ones I build have a split elevator and I either use the two servos for the left and right or in this case I made up a push rod with two control rods or also known as a Y push rod. This one is made from a carbon fiber arrow shaft. Just a single rod on one end and the Y on the other. In case one of the control horns breaks you still have the other half working as usual. I have had the nylon control horns break on both a Y and a duel servo set up. Last one to break was on a stunt plane, only thing I noticed in flight was the plane wasn't as responsive as it usually is. I landed and spotted the problem right away. Two is always better then one. It's very easy to do too. This is a photo of a very happy owner.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68467.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	1634889  
Old 07-14-2011, 09:39 AM
kenv56

Cool thanks for the ideas. I think i will go with the wire idea.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:19 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the wire... WHen building, I also clamshell from the front the wire inserts in the wood with some very lighweightg fiberglass maybe 1/4" beyond the end of the wire and and 3/4 inch or so centered on the wire insert. I beef this area up on all my planes as its the one control surface you pretty much can't do without.