Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Hpi nitro mt

Old 07-18-2011, 03:24 PM
novakmaxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hpi nitro mt

I have been out of the hobby of rc for about a year and a half because I bought my 1998 camaro. Any ways I am in Colorado and I saw a rc in a breakfast place and I had to have it. It's a hpi nitro mt and it looks like it has some upgrades like a picco .15 engine. Does anyone know anything about these and stuff like how fast it is and what breaks alot.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:35 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Hpi nitro mt

If its the original mt1 from 2000 unless its $50 its not worth it seeing parts are almost impossible to find unless you want to replace a lot of things at once to upgrade it so MT2 parts work on it.

If its a MT2 parts are available.
Most common part to break Steering knuckles. They suck ass plain and simple. Hitting a slight bump in a street will strip the screw out. Hell tunring it going full speed can strip a screw out (one member just got a MT2 and didn't believe me on it till he broke one in 2 mins ) LUCKILY GPM makes aluminum steering knuckles for $10 or so that fix the issue.
Other common part to break is the arm. They are kinda thin compared to most other off road RC's (remember the mt is based on a on-road car) and can snap easily. Unfortunately there are no aftermarket arms available that don't suck (GPM aluminum's are only ones and take it from me they are TRASH)

Outside that its a good RC that had a pretty solid drive chain that can stand up to massive abuse. I've seen people slam K5.9 engines out of 1/8th savages into them, and run them no issue.

For the record I bought 2 MT1's one is now a MT2 other is sitting in a spare parts box.

BTW heres a post I did a while back on what is needed to replace parts with MT2's http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10415440
Also you might want to post most questions in either that thread or in the stadium truck board seeign the MT1 is a stadium truck even though its labeled MT (I did the same thing when I 1st got it btw )
Old 07-18-2011, 04:46 PM
novakmaxx

In not sure how old it is but it doesn't look 11 years old. It was $150 with the remote and everything. But it seems like you can replace most parts with newer model parts.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:38 AM
smitty2919

I dunno if it's me that SyCo is referring to but I picked up a basically brand new MT2 with the .18 motor and he isn't lying when he says the steering knuckles suck...BIG TIME

I was finish breaking in the motor when I drove it back to meand found out the brakes SUCK (haven't figured out why) and I hit a curb going under 5mph...more like bumped the curb and the screw pulled out of the steering knuckle...

I have a Tmaxx and a Savage so to hit something that slow and to do damage was unsettling for me. They advertise it jumping and going "off-road" but I wouldn't do anything else with it than run on pavement or dirt tracks with no jumps. And since that style of driving does not appeal to me, I don't like it. (and is currently for sale on here LOL)

I thought about keeping it and putting a traxxas 3.3 into it, because the .18 motor lacks low end grunt, but once up to speed it scoots. But if I did that then it's prob a matter of time until the diffs blow out on me...turning it into a THIRD money pit lol.

PM me, I'll sell yaa barely broken in MT2 (an upgrade to what you have now ) LOL

But this is what an MT2 looks like with the .18 motor...this is mine:

Now they also make an MT2 SS. It's like mine pictured but with diff wheels/tires and I believe beefier differentials.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:17 AM
novakmaxx

Those knuckles seem really weak, but the one I bought came with like 10 new ones. What did you pay for yours? Mine has aluminum shocks, tie rods, mid cvd's, carbon fiber upper deck and a picco engine so it's pretty beefed up other than the knuckles. Also mine was a kit if that changes anything I don't know.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:40 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

http://thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_deta...6&cat_name=MT2 C-hubs $12
http://thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_deta...4&cat_name=MT2 knuckles $12 (out of stock though )

and smitty was referring to you and every other MT1/2 owner that said the same thing
Old 07-20-2011, 11:23 AM
llkoolskillet

I love my MT2 and the only thing i had to replace on it was the spur gear and the exhaust gasket. Other than that she runs real strong and takes on all the same stuff my savage does. I would say i have a little over 2 gallons thru her.

Show us some pics!
Old 07-20-2011, 05:18 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: llkoolskillet

I love my MT2 and the only thing i had to replace on it was the spur gear and the exhaust gasket. Other than that she runs real strong and takes on all the same stuff my savage does. I would say i have a little over 2 gallons thru her.

Show us some pics!
Its kinda weird I owned 2 of them, and both had way different experiences.
My one I've snapped arms in half stopping, where my other I've clipped cars tires, and curbs full throttle with no damage.
My one shoots the front left dog bone all the time(I think its something with the diffs cup seeing every other conceivable piece was replaced), where my other hasn't lost one.
Honestly if I went on my original ones experience I'd say its a problematic POS, but seeing I had no issues with the other when I ran it I can't seeing it ran like a champ.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:24 PM
novakmaxx

Here are some pics of it. Im going to take it apart and clean/inspect every thing and post pics of that later. so far ive taken out the engine and clean that and polished the exhaust manifold. Then i took the rear apart, cleaned all the bearings, noticed its a aftermarket diff but it has some slop in it. I just put some lube in it and put it back. Ill do the front tomorrow and if it have time try to run it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99059.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	1638434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99007.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	1638435  
Old 07-22-2011, 03:13 PM
novakmaxx

what is the best online website to find aftermarket parts for it? and what parts are compatable with the new one>
Old 07-22-2011, 05:42 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

thetoyz.com like I said above, and ebay
also if you follow the link I said at the bottom of post #2 I said a break down of what is compatible, and what has to be changed to make the parts work.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:18 PM
novakmaxx

alright, here are some pics of after cleaning it. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76795.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	1639168   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45764.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	1639169  
Old 07-25-2011, 03:21 PM
novakmaxx

Ok, so i got everything i needed to start the car. I tried starting it and after a while it ran for 5 sec. Then i broke the pull start. So i used a drill. But every time i have to prime it, use the drill, it starts for 1-2 sec then died. I know its not getting gas but i dont know how to solve it.

Any help would be great.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:00 PM
chonyc77

Wow, you just brought back memories. I got one of these for my b-day from an ex GF back when it first came out, around 2000. I dont know how your car will be since it looks pretty modded, but mine was a piece of jellopy. If i can recall correctly, i tried to keep it running just to make my GF at the time happy she had bought me something worth while. It gave me problem after problem.
To make a long story short. I ended up getting rid of the car, after getting rid of her....