Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

VX Engine, in Earthquake 3.5?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 09:43 AM
slapohmama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VX Engine, in Earthquake 3.5?

Hi All,

I bought this engine, http://www.hobbypartz.com/en18for1scni.html

Unfortunately I'm having some trouble putting it in the earthquake 3.5

If you take a look at that engine, you'll see the clutch assembly is a little different.

If Ido a direct swap of the clutch drum, and flywheel- there is no room left on the threads to put a clutch nut on.

Any suggestions for making this work?

Thanks,

Old 07-24-2011, 11:07 AM
UrcHobby
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: VX Engine, in Earthquake 3.5?

The motor you purchased has whats is called a SG Crank Shaft, Your Earthquake came with a Threaded Crank Shaft. You can make the SG crank work but you will need to get a few more items to make it work. You might want to see if you can get it swapped for the correct style (Thredded) crank shaft motor.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:25 PM
slapohmama

Thanks for the reply. I've been quite busy so I haven't gotten around to this yet.

Unfortunately I can't swap out the engine, so I'm hoping you can advise me what parts I need? Do you have them?

Thanks,
Old 08-18-2011, 03:47 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Iam running into the same trouble installing the SH28 in an Earthquake 3.5. Ithink the clutch and bell from an HPISavage might work but Iam still working on it.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:21 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need the clutch setup from either the avalanche, monsoon or hurricane, also the setup from a savage will work, the .21 that comes on the earthquake 3.5 uses a threaded crank, most .21 and larger engines use an sg crank, you will need a clutch nut to hold the flywheel on, not sure if the stock flywheel will fit the sg crank. If you get the collet (unless the engine comes with on, most do), flywheel, clutch/flywheel nut, shoes and springs, cluch bell, bearings/washer kit for the avalanche, monsoon or hurricane it will work.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:57 PM
UrcHobby
My Feedback: (2)

If you use a SH .28 You will also need Shims for the motor mounts as the larger backing plate and pull start on the SH .28 is very big and it will not clear the chassis with out shimming.