Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

Question on competive 426@428 racing?

Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Question on competive 426@428 racing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 06:50 AM
topnotch1111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on competive 426@428 racing?

I have for the past few years wanted to get into competive racing in the 426 or 428 class.I have a few question any one that can point me in the right direction..I have contacted my disterct rep in NMPRA..I live in TN, D7..he was very little help to me kind of frustrating that he is a rep for me..My question can you race outside your distict?
what other orgianations out there besides NMPRA that is competive?
can anyone be a member and get right into racing in the NMPRA?or do you have to Qualify?
my disircit D7 has the least amount of races why?
That will get me started to moving in the right direction any info you guys want to give me will be greatful

I am brand new to this site just want to go fast

Old 07-29-2011, 07:15 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Question on competive 426@428 racing?

Yes, you can race outside of your district.

NMPRA is the recognized AMA "special interest group" for pylon racing. But, you don't have to be a member to race. I am, but that's because I chose to support them.

There are lots of local race groups - SEMPRA (southeast), WIPRO, (wisconsin, I think) - and others around the country. Mostly they're groups of folks that have rules tailored to suit the fields and people around that area. Some folks fly Q500's with engines up to 0.46 rather than .40, etc.

You don't have to qualify. I would suggest if you've never raced before to start out with 424 (Q500 airframe, no composite airframes, Thunder Tiger pro .40 engine, APC 9-6 prop) or maybe even some local "club 40" or Quickee 25 - (q500 airframes, .25 engines) to get started.

You might ask at the local hobby shops, etc, if they know of a group of guys that are racing in the area.

I live near Kansas City. We have typically 6 races within a 4 hour drive each summer. 2 in Wichita, 2 in Kansas City, and 2 in Hillsdale, KS. The Hillsdale race is August 13th, I believe. Wichita and KCRC will be after that, I'll have to go check actual dates. We fly 424, lately have been adding 426, and might even dabble in EF1 (electric formula 1) this fall.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:23 AM
topnotch1111

thanyou for the info.

Locally we have races but not very orginized and real light rules in our local area just not very competive..I have raced in our local 424 even though we are ver lack on the rules.Just looking to get into more comeptive flying..my local club is very cool place to fly but just into racing we might have 5 races a year in my area..but not competive at all.Just trying to find out more about the competive side of the sport and to grow as a race pilot and like to in the next couple of years like to see and particpate in like the nationals ect..
Old 07-29-2011, 07:51 AM
fizzwater2

We have several guys that fly in the Nationals around this area. AJ Seaholm used to fly with the KCRC guys before he moved about a year ago, and he was the two-time back to back Q40 national champ. He was also VERY supportive of the local racing, and worked hard to turn the KCRC race (along with a really good bunch of guys in that club) into a really nice event. The fall race I think will be two, one day races, with 424 and 426.

We have had as many as 28 racers in the 424 class, lately we're picking up 8-9-10 in the 426 class as people get interested. Some of the guys do fly in 422 (Q40) races, used to fly some 428 but lately it's been 426 around here. That way we can fly 424 and 426 on the same course during the day.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:38 AM
rbg

Yes the District Rep is Freeman JR and you are right hummm well he is preoccupied. Right now he is in Autralia.

As to races in the area you have one in NC Oct 1 424 and QM go to aeroengines.com and ask for more info. Nepro.org races in Bowie Md.

Atlanta area has hodges hobbies races 424 6/30 then in Oct then in Feb.

Dist 7 races are Mulberry Fl in March.. Apopka Fl in Dec Tangerine race both place will race 424, QM and 426.

NMPRA Gold Cup in Oct in Ft Lauderdale will race QM and 424.

As to why not more races well plenty of reasons one being entries is only like 8-15 people. Hard to get a club interested in giving up 3 days for that few of racers.

Are we lookng for new people YOU BET You show up and you will have plenty of friendly help and good advice.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:20 AM
Freeman Jr.
My Feedback: (2)

Well Jason I am sorry you feel that way. I got your email and thought I answered your questions. Do you think a better approach would have been to let me know you still had questions. I think answered what I could based on your email. Like Bob said I am super busy right now, but was more then happy to answer your email and would have continued to answer anything you needed.

Not a good way to get started with a new group.

Here is the email.
-=-
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2011 6:10 PM
To: Freeman, Gary E
Subject: EXTERNAL: info on my distirct for memphership in NMPRA

Hello,

I live in memphis TN.I have been interested in getting involed in competive 428 Q500 pylon racing.Just am confused on a couple of things..I have noticed that distirct 7 has the least amout of races..Can you race outside your distirct..I am curently building me a racer will be ready to race by the start of next summer just trying to find out any info you can give me about NMPRA..Is there in any races in the TN area??

Thankyou in advanced for any info..
-=-
My reply

Hey Jason,

Yeah this time of year it is too hot to race in D7, we have some racing that will take place the end of august and then about one weekend of racing a month. In D7 we really don’t race 428 anymore, we have moved to 426. I know up north that Mike Langlois has a field and I think they have a couple 428 races.

For the best info go to NMPRA.ORG.

Thanks
Gary Freeman Jr.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:25 AM
topnotch1111

ORIGINAL: rbg

Yes the District Rep is Freeman JR and you are right hummm well he is preoccupied. Right now he is in Autralia.

As to races in the area you have one in NC Oct 1 424 and QM go to aeroengines.com and ask for more info. Nepro.org races in Bowie Md.

Atlanta area has hodges hobbies races 424 6/30 then in Oct then in Feb.

Dist 7 races are Mulberry Fl in March.. Apopka Fl in Dec Tangerine race both place will race 424, QM and 426.

NMPRA Gold Cup in Oct in Ft Lauderdale will race QM and 424.

As to why not more races well plenty of reasons one being entries is only like 8-15 people. Hard to get a club interested in giving up 3 days for that few of racers.

Are we lookng for new people YOU BET You show up and you will have plenty of friendly help and good advice.

Thankyou that was very helpful info there..But that leaves me a few more questions?

so D7 races that are santioned are the three races in FL each year??
The gold cup can anyone enter that ??
I quess 424,QM40 are the two most popular in D7?

I see If i want to try my hand in competive racing it will take some travel on my part..I dont mind that i like to visit FL.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:38 AM
topnotch1111

ORIGINAL: Freeman Jr.

Well Jason I am sorry you feel that way. I got your email and thought I answered your questions. Do you think a better approach would have been to let me know you still had questions. I think answered what I could based on your email. Like Bob said I am super busy right now, but was more then happy to answer your email and would have continued to answer anything you needed.

Not a good way to get started with a new group.

Here is the email.
-=-
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2011 6:10 PM
To: Freeman, Gary E
Subject: EXTERNAL: info on my distirct for memphership in NMPRA

Hello,

I live in memphis TN.I have been interested in getting involed in competive 428 Q500 pylon racing.Just am confused on a couple of things..I have noticed that distirct 7 has the least amout of races..Can you race outside your distirct..I am curently building me a racer will be ready to race by the start of next summer just trying to find out any info you can give me about NMPRA..Is there in any races in the TN area??

Thankyou in advanced for any info..
-=-
My reply

Hey Jason,

Yeah this time of year it is too hot to race in D7, we have some racing that will take place the end of august and then about one weekend of racing a month. In D7 we really don’t race 428 anymore, we have moved to 426. I know up north that Mike Langlois has a field and I think they have a couple 428 races.

For the best info go to NMPRA.ORG.

Thanks
Gary Freeman Jr.

No I am sorry to come across that way about you I just was very frustrated and i realize you where probaly busy..
you where my 100th e-mail trying to find info on this and just felt so frustrated i am sorry just want to race in NMPRA events..all the answers i got have been the same go look at NMPRA web page I have read like ten times and to me some of it just was not clear..sorry again I got off on the wrong foot I should ask more questions..I should not have said that but i did out of frustation so for give me for that..i understand you really busy and probally got alot going on.I hope to a chance to be a part of NMPRA one day and we can get past my stupidity I showed here

I am truly sorry
Old 07-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Freeman Jr.

On the NMPRA site there is a race calendar that can give you the exact dates as they get announced

We have 2 races a year in Mulberry Fl 424-426-422
We have 2 races a year in South Fl 424-426-422
We have 1 race a year in the Orlando Area 424-426-422
We have a race 1 or 2 times a year in Delray Fl 424-426

You have to be a NMPRA member to race the NMPRA Cup races (formally Gold cup)

424,426 and 422(Q40) are what we mostly race in D7

I don't know what santioned means so you will have to explain

Yes not many states in our district hold races, maybe you can get your TN crew to hold a race
Old 07-29-2011, 10:45 AM
topnotch1111

like a race that is sanctioned by the NMPRA forgot the C

did you read my appogly to you sorry i said that but i did your right i should of continued to ask you sorry..

Old 07-29-2011, 10:51 AM
Freeman Jr.

I think only the AMA sanctions races, but for the most part anyone with an AMA can race at any race. You can race in any district also. FOr NMPRA cup races you will need a NMPRA membership.

Yes I got it and thank you.

Gary Freeman Jr.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:55 AM
topnotch1111

thanks that clears up alot gives me a starting point to start from..
I now have better understanding of the structure..
Old 07-29-2011, 12:48 PM
Scorpion Racing

Hi Jason, and welcome to the racing world!! Gary Jr. Just finished running the NATS and is on the USA world FAI team headed to Australia to compete for team USA, so we are all cutting him some slack right now till he can catch his breath. I am the guy who hosts the races in Mulberry, Fl. Gary spoke about, and I would be happy to help you any way I can. Please feel free to PM me here (click on the little PM bubble at the bottom of this post) if you have any questions about NMPRA, SEMPRA or racing in general. Like almost all the racers you will meet, we all want to help you to succeed and enjoy racing.

You live in a great area to take advantage of a LOT of races within a few hours travel time. Tennessee gets more tempting every year for me!

Best wishes,
Old 07-29-2011, 04:10 PM
BernieV

Jason,

There will be a two day pylon race in Muncie, IN on August 27 & 28. 424 will be flown on both Saturday and Sunday, 426 will be flown on Saturday and 422 will be flown on Sunday. If you have a 424 plane ready to go with a TT Pro .40 come on up and race. The field will also be open for practice on Friday and there will be guys there who can help you. If you hope to fly the NATS next year this will give you exposure to the NATS site and all the race equipment used. We will be using the CAPS electronic equipment which is the same equipment that is used at the NATS. You can register for this race at [link=http://www.capsracing.com]www.capsracing.com[/link]

There is also a 424 and 426 Q500 event that will be held in Bloomington, IL on September 24 and 25. You can register for this race at [link=http://www.q500424.com]www.q500424.com[/link]
Old 07-30-2011, 03:09 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mempis is a long ways away from Julian, NC but you would have a great time out here!
Old 07-30-2011, 03:32 PM
BarryReade
My Feedback: (1)

Yea but it is a lot closer than Phoenix!! and or Whittier Narrows
Old 07-31-2011, 12:21 PM
Alabama Racer

Jason:
I live in Decatur, AL, about 2 hours from Memphis.
I am not the fastest guy out there (cough cough) but willing to
help you with what I can. We had a race in Andersonville GA yesterday.
It is about a 5.5 hr drive from here so it would add about 2 hrs for you,
maybe less, depending on the route.
The Kansas guys are getting quite a bit of racing going, that may not
be too far for you to drive. Yes, you will have to drive a bit
but it is well worth doing just that. In the Memphis area, there used to be 2
guys that raced quite a bit: Mike Pate and Jeremy Chin. They do not currently
race but I am sure if you can hook up with them, they would help you learn the
ropes. Haven't seen Mike since he was a teen-ager but Jeremy came to Decatur
to race about 5 or 6 years ago. Send me a PM if there is anything I can help you
with. Greg Doe lives in Smyrna TN and is a treasure trove of info since he has
raced since dirt was young (sorry greg)
brad clayton
Old 07-31-2011, 08:30 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Jason,
I'm in Smyrna TN. about 3 hours from Memphis. We can hook up here or I'll come to Memphis, or
we could meet in the middle. If you can demonstrate that you can fly fast airplanes, I'll let you fly my
Nelson Quickie. I'm old school. Since I flew "reed" equipment before modern proportional radios, I
fly Mode 1. So if you want to accept my offer you will need to supply a JR or Spectrum Mode 2
transmitter. PM me with your phone number, and I'll call you.
There are some conditions, and they are: that you demonstrate one of your 424 Quickies first, and answere a few simple questions on this Forum, that will help me understand your skill level.
1. Have you built any composit race planes?
2. Do you have a vacume bag system?
3. What kind of tachometer do you have?
4. Are your local 424 races on a 2 pylon, or 3 pylon course?
5.What engine and prop are you running in 424?
I'm not sure you fully appreciate how fast 426 and 428 airplanes are? On the other hand, I might
be under estimating you skill level. Airplanes for these events can go a mile in 20 seconds. 7 or 8
second lap times are typical.
I'm considering going to Julian NC for their fall race, probably to fly 424. If you can get this far we
could go together. I'm trying to talk Brad Clayton into going too, but everything is subject to change.
So that's my offer. The ball is in your court. By the way do you know either of the Memphis
modelers that Brad mentioned; Jeremy Chinn or Mike Pate? Greg
Old 08-01-2011, 06:45 AM
topnotch1111

Thanks for everyones help!! I have got a ton of info and got me a plan of action That I plan on moving forward with..I am currently putting togther a 426 race plane and will have it ready by the end of this summer..I have only two pylon race experence but my local field I got permission on days when there is not alot of people flying to set up three pylons and get some practice on 3 pylons until i feel my lap times are good enough for race in competion..The locals have been very helpful with my me wanting to get into racing are willing to help me get my level up so I might be able to go out by the start of next summer I should be up to par..
Old 08-01-2011, 07:22 AM
fizzwater2

Just FYI -

The Hillsdale KS race is August 13th. 424 and 426, we're talking a little about EF1

Wichita is scheduled for September 17/18. Last I heard from them, it's 424/426 on Saturday, possibly 424/422 on Sunday.

KCRC (Kanssa City Radio Control) race is October 1/2. Last fall it was 424/426 both days, two, one day races.

If anyone needs more info, let me know and I'll see what I can dig up.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:43 AM
topnotch1111

ORIGINAL: GREG DOE

Jason,
I'm in Smyrna TN. about 3 hours from Memphis. We can hook up here or I'll come to Memphis, or
we could meet in the middle. If you can demonstrate that you can fly fast airplanes, I'll let you fly my
Nelson Quickie. I'm old school. Since I flew "reed" equipment before modern proportional radios, I
fly Mode 1. So if you want to accept my offer you will need to supply a JR or Spectrum Mode 2
transmitter. PM me with your phone number, and I'll call you.
There are some conditions, and they are: that you demonstrate one of your 424 Quickies first, and answere a few simple questions on this Forum, that will help me understand your skill level.
1. Have you built any composit race planes?
2. Do you have a vacume bag system?
3. What kind of tachometer do you have?
4. Are your local 424 races on a 2 pylon, or 3 pylon course?
5.What engine and prop are you running in 424?
I'm not sure you fully appreciate how fast 426 and 428 airplanes are? On the other hand, I might
be under estimating you skill level. Airplanes for these events can go a mile in 20 seconds. 7 or 8
second lap times are typical.
I'm considering going to Julian NC for their fall race, probably to fly 424. If you can get this far we
could go together. I'm trying to talk Brad Clayton into going too, but everything is subject to change.
So that's my offer. The ball is in your court. By the way do you know either of the Memphis
modelers that Brad mentioned; Jeremy Chinn or Mike Pate? Greg
thats cool that you live in Smyrna,TN..

thatwhere my 1st job wasafter i graduated A@P school until they went bankrupt.

I love working on Planes bigger the better..
Old 08-01-2011, 08:30 AM
GREG DOE

Jason,
I'm also an A&P and a licensed private pilot with about 600 hrs. Currently I have a 1947 Bellanca
Cruiseair (14-13-2) "project" in my garage, that I should be working on, instead of racing model
airplanes! What years were you working in Smyrna, and were you doing any modeling at that time? Greg

Old 08-01-2011, 11:15 AM
topnotch1111

I lived there from 1997-1999..I had my trainer at the time but did not do any flying while I lived there.I  did build my second model RC while i lived there but did not fly again until 2001.

Good luck with your  Bellanca cruiseair!!What kind of shape is it in?

I am currently working on a P51 a complete restore for a guy that wants it ready in two years to go to oshkosh flyin..one of my favorite events to go to each year for you as a Mechanic and pilot must see if you have never been..

I have thought about building my own experimental aircraft..I think i will get around to it one day but I would want to take it oshkosh flyin If I did..
Old 08-01-2011, 01:01 PM
GREG DOE

Jason,
Some years ago I did a few small jobs on Bob Reuther Luscomb. That airplane took first in
class at Sun & Fun, and first in class at Oshkosh. Reuther later sold the airplane, but it was at
Oshkosh again this year. There is a picture of it on the internet. If I had your e-mail address
I could send you the link. N144BR. Greg