Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 20 & 30 ignition module

Old 07-18-2011, 06:10 PM
cphdrider
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DLE 20 & 30 ignition module

Are the DLE 20 &30 ignition modules the same? Where is best place to purchase a replacment?

Old 07-18-2011, 06:20 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: DLE 20 & 30 ignition module

Valley View RC
Old 07-18-2011, 06:30 PM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While one will work on the other, they are not the same. If one wants to mix and match them, they would have much better results using the DLE30 module on a DLE20 ratherthan the other way around.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:54 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Jody - I just swapped in the Rxcl ignition (#3) from my DLE 20 because I was not getting a consistant spark from my DLE 30 Rcxl ignition (#4). The DLE 30 then started up fine and seemed to run smoothly, with a nice low idle. Am going to test flying tomorrow morning. Are you saying the #3 ignition should not be used with the DLE 30 engine? Am I getting less spark than I would with the #4? Thanks.

Mike
Old 07-29-2011, 06:46 PM
jedijody

The #3 igniiton was shipped with the 30, the #4 ignition was shipped with the 20. They have different timing curves but one will work on the other. The DLE30 module will advance and retard in smaller increments at programmed points along the RPM bandto full advance at about 4000 RPM. The DLE20 module (#4) will advance and retarda full 22 degrees ar so all at one time at about 2500-2800 RPM. If you slowly advance the throttle you will hit that RPM and the engine will jump up about 800 RPM. It does the same thing on the way down so you have toset your ground idle at about 1500 to prevent the RPM from hanging up and not coming down all the way preventing you from being able to land.

If you have an ignition that doesn't spark every time the magnet passes under the sensor there's something wrong with it.

I would never fly a DLE20 with the #4 module, I don't like the way the timing makes the engine run, within a certain RPM range the RPM jumps up and down about a thousand Rs with very small throttle stick movements.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:57 PM
microdon2

Jody - you're right, my mistake - the #3 came with the DLE 30 and the #4 with the DLE 20. Thanks for the info. Sounds like I'm safe to fly the DLE 30 in the morning. Would you then recommend buying a #3 ignition for the DLE 20? Not sure if that "jump" bothers me enough to spend another $70 on it, though.

Mike
Old 07-29-2011, 07:07 PM
jedijody

The DLE labeled ignition with the #? on it will set you back $85, a standard Rcexl is $70 and is what I would use. If you shop around you can find the Rcexl for less than we sell it for.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:33 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: jedijody

The #3 igniiton was shipped with the 30, the #4 ignition was shipped with the 20. They have different timing curves but one will work on the other. The DLE30 module will advance and retard in smaller increments at programmed points along the RPM band to full advance at about 4000 RPM. The DLE20 module (#4) will advance and retard a full 22 degrees ar so all at one time at about 2500-2800 RPM. If you slowly advance the throttle you will hit that RPM and the engine will jump up about 800 RPM. It does the same thing on the way down so you have to set your ground idle at about 1500 to prevent the RPM from hanging up and not coming down all the way preventing you from being able to land.

If you have an ignition that doesn't spark every time the magnet passes under the sensor there's something wrong with it.

I would never fly a DLE20 with the #4 module, I don't like the way the timing makes the engine run, within a certain RPM range the RPM jumps up and down about a thousand Rs with very small throttle stick movements.
This is the info I was trying to get a month or so ago. Glad you changed your mind about releasing it as it brings what's going on with the 20's idle into a much clearer focus. Thanks
Old 07-30-2011, 05:20 AM
microdon2

Just back from the field and I'm happy to report that my new DLE 30 ran beautifully with the Rcexl ignition (#4) borrowed from my DLE 20. Excellent, low idle, smooth transition to WOT. Didn't get tach numbers - will next time. I didn't notice the jump in RPM's that Jody mentioned - I'm probably not as "atuned" to that as he is. And the DLE 30 is the perfect engine for the Goldberg 73" Sukhoi 26M. VERY happy with this plane \ engine combo.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:33 AM
jedijody

ORIGINAL: ahicks

This is the info I was trying to get a month or so ago. Glad you changed your mind about releasing it as it brings what's going on with the 20's idle into a much clearer focus. Thanks
I haven't changed my mind,I've posted this sameinformation many timesbefore,I've also explained it so many times in email that I made a Word document thatI cut and paste from or just attach to an email.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:46 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: ahicks

I haven't changed my mind, I've posted this same information many times before, I've also explained it so many times in email that I made a Word document that I cut and paste from or just attach to an email.

I follow the DLE 20 & 30 related strings pretty closely. Maybe you have mentioned it, dunno. My apologies if I missed it. This is what happened when I tried to get that information from you not so long ago.

"The differences are the timing curve, advancing the timing in steps as RPM increases, that's what a curve is. Yes, I know what the curve is, no I'm not going to tell you, no you cannot change it. The DLE20 and 30 modules are timed at 35* BTDC, the standard Rcexl is timed at 28* BTDC."

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._1/key_/tm.htm

Old 07-30-2011, 03:45 PM
jedijody

Same thread, previous page, and the reason I didn't explain it there. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10522308

I had told everyone how to find it out for themselves, all other questions were accurately answered as well, if not by myself by very knowledgeable people that know.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:40 PM
boex

Thanks Jody for telling us about the #4 ignition module that comes with the dle 20. Your explanation describes accurately the erratic behavior of my dle 20 at those rpm.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:07 PM
cphdrider
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks Jodi from cphdrider also. I have the exact same RPM problem and had about lost my wits trying to figure out what was wrong and could not. Thanks again...
Old 07-30-2011, 09:03 PM
jedijody

Unfortunately there isn't anything wrong with the ignitions that cause this condition, they're operating as they were designed. Can't bother Rcexl about it either, they're just doing as their customer wants. I noticed the the way it made the engine run right away on the preproduction prototype I was sent for testing, I explained the problem to the factory and was told the ignition I had was defective yet all the production engines have the same timing program as that first engine. In the flight video I made for the DLE20 I used a standard Rcexl ignition.  
Old 08-01-2011, 05:45 AM
boex

Replacing the #4 with CDI from the dle 55, would that improve the idling issue? Also if I did that, would I need to adjust the ignition timing? Any response from someone knowledgeable (like Jody ) appreciated.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:09 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately there isn't anything wrong with the ignitions that cause this condition, they're operating as they were designed. Can't bother Rcexl about it either, they're just doing as their customer wants. I noticed the the way it made the engine run right away on the preproduction prototype I was sent for testing, I explained the problem to the factory and was told the ignition I had was defective yet all the production engines have the same timing program as that first engine. In the flight videoI made for the DLE20 I used a standard Rcexl ignition.
I hate to ask this....but whatis the advance curve on a" standard" Rcexl ignition? How do you know by the numbers on one to verify its "standard?I hope thispost does not cause any problems. Thanks Capt,n PSJody, I got the Kavan Twin running with the twin ignition I got from you....nice!
Old 01-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

The advance curve on a "standard" ignition is mostly the same as the C&H it was cloned almost successfully from...
Set at 28 BTDC...Flip when starting retards it to about 2 BTDC...Mostly linear to 4000 rpm where it is at full advance until rpms drop below 4000....The creator of the syhcro spark knows exactly, maybe he will see this and explain further...
Why anyone would want to change what has been the best ignition on the planet is beyond me...