Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 01:35 PM
ZeekWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Another Cool site with Aurora 9 info and videos here [link=http://aurora9.info]LINK[/link]
Old 07-29-2011, 02:18 PM
Wayne Miller

Hi Zeek78,

It looks like a good site, I haven't explored it all yet, but I did check out the $9 cases for the Tx.

Nice find, thanks.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne
Old 07-29-2011, 02:30 PM
Michel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi

Very nice site ,................................. I,m surprised that myself and Wayne didn,t know about this site . Not that we know everything , but , we do like to keep ourselves informed

Again ,... Thanks

Michel
Old 07-29-2011, 02:41 PM
ZeekWorld

ORIGINAL: Wayne Miller

Hi Zeek78,

It looks like a good site, I haven't explored it all yet, but I did check out the $9 cases for the Tx.

Nice find, thanks.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne

You guys didn't know about the site because it went live a few days ago. A friend of mine loves his A9 so much he decided to start this cool web page with info to help out the fans.
He is opened to suggestions in case anyone wants to shoot him an email feedback (at) aurora9 (dot) info
I'm going to let him know you guys liked it.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:11 PM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well folks,

I had a crash with my A9 today. It was a 40 size Ultimate Bipe that I build from a kit this spring. Only about the 5th time I had flown the plane. it was one of only two planes that had the complementry 7 channel rx. I did a post mordem and found the battery had 6.6 volts. It was a five cell NOBS battery from Hangetime. So I ruled the battery out. after retrieving the plane back to the pits (about a 150 to 175 yard walk). I turned the switch on and off several times, all radio equipment worked normally. Actions taken leading up to crash. Charged Rx battery. Performed range check. I always perform a check on each plane prior to the first flight of the plane of the day. I took the plane out onto the strip and took off. Had a moderate climb rate but not radical. I started a long gentle turn to the right. During this time the engine went to idle as I had the fail safe for the engine to idle with loss of signal. The plane began a long slow roll to the right and at the time it almost reached inverted it nosed down and fell to the earth from about 400 feet up. At the beginning of the roll I tried to correct the roll with left aileron with no response. As the plane was quite high, I had plenty of time and pulled up elevator numerous times to try to regain the plane. Nothing worked, It was a dead unit. It's as if I simply flew out of range. In fact, I remember seeing a friend forget to extend his antenna back several years ago when we all still flew 72 mhz and it acted the same way. I normally turn both the TX and Rx off after the range check to fuel my models. However, for some reason I had already fueled this model prior to the range check. As a result, I did not cycle the radio this time, probably the only time ever that I began a flight this way. Is it possible that although the 90 seconds had timed out and beeper stopped where the TX appears to go back into normal mode. The red/blue flashing light of power down returned to solid red as normal when the 90 seconds passed. Could it still be in power down mode if I failed to turn it off and back on. This is the way it acted. I had flown another plane about three times this afternoon with no issues, but, it has the Optima 9 Rx in it. I will throw the Optima seven in the trash as the earth was very hard, essentially like concrete since we have been having very hot and dry weather here the last month. Even if the Rx is good, I could never trust it again as this was probably one of the hardest hits I've put a model through. And believe me I've crashed several over the years, hence my handel here on RCUniverse. If Mike or anyone else has any imput about the power down being a possibility I would like to know. I'll make sure to always cycle the TX and Rx after the power down from now on. I have had my A9 since late fall of 2009 but did not begin useing it until May of this year.

Thanks in advance for you opinions.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:15 AM
Michel

Hi

Sorry for youre loss []

Well,......... if I,ve read youre post correctly . I,ve flown many , many times directly after a range check , with no problems at all . Hmmmmmm,..............

Michel
Old 07-31-2011, 06:05 AM
Zor
Banned

It could have been a contact failure in the electrical system.
Could also have been a low voltage condition.

Remember that batteries recover lots of voltage after a short moment of deactivation.

Of course these speculations do not compensate the loss of a nice airplane.
Perhaps it is worth some repairs.

Yesterday I was setting up a brand new RTF, my first one ever in 50 yearsand when I activated the throttle the motor ran and responded to variable speeds for half a minute and then while at about half throttle everyting went dead.

I had to do some work on all the metal female electrical connectors that were all too loose.
Just cheap connectors supplied by the manufacturer of the model.

Zor
Old 07-31-2011, 06:43 AM
Michel

ORIGINAL: WILDCRASHWILLY

Well folks,

I had a crash with my A9 today. It was a 40 size Ultimate Bipe that I build from a kit this spring. Only about the 5th time I had flown the plane. it was one of only two planes that had the complementry 7 channel rx. I did a post mordem and found the battery had 6.6 volts. It was a five cell NOBS battery from Hangetime. So I ruled the battery out. after retrieving the plane back to the pits (about a 150 to 175 yard walk). I turned the switch on and off several times, all radio equipment worked normally. Actions taken leading up to crash. Charged Rx battery. Performed range check. I always perform a check on each plane prior to the first flight of the plane of the day. I took the plane out onto the strip and took off. Had a moderate climb rate but not radical. I started a long gentle turn to the right. During this time the engine went to idle as I had the fail safe for the engine to idle with loss of signal. The plane began a long slow roll to the right and at the time it almost reached inverted it nosed down and fell to the earth from about 400 feet up. At the beginning of the roll I tried to correct the roll with left aileron with no response. As the plane was quite high, I had plenty of time and pulled up elevator numerous times to try to regain the plane. Nothing worked, It was a dead unit. It's as if I simply flew out of range. In fact, I remember seeing a friend forget to extend his antenna back several years ago when we all still flew 72 mhz and it acted the same way. I normally turn both the TX and Rx off after the range check to fuel my models. However, for some reason I had already fueled this model prior to the range check. As a result, I did not cycle the radio this time, probably the only time ever that I began a flight this way. Is it possible that although the 90 seconds had timed out and beeper stopped where the TX appears to go back into normal mode. The red/blue flashing light of power down returned to solid red as normal when the 90 seconds passed. Could it still be in power down mode if I failed to turn it off and back on. This is the way it acted. I had flown another plane about three times this afternoon with no issues, but, it has the Optima 9 Rx in it. I will throw the Optima seven in the trash as the earth was very hard, essentially like concrete since we have been having very hot and dry weather here the last month. Even if the Rx is good, I could never trust it again as this was probably one of the hardest hits I've put a model through. And believe me I've crashed several over the years, hence my handel here on RCUniverse. If Mike or anyone else has any imput about the power down being a possibility I would like to know. I'll make sure to always cycle the TX and Rx after the power down from now on. I have had my A9 since late fall of 2009 but did not begin useing it until May of this year.

Thanks in advance for you opinions.
Hi WILDCRASHWILLY

Okay ,...................... I went out , and I did the same thing you did on the range check . I let the 90 second range check runout and I did a flight . Nothing ,.................... everything went fine . The thing is ,............. I always do it this way , except for the 90 seconds running out of course , that I,ve never done . So I did it . I have also downloaded the version 1.08 yesterday . That big screen timer is great ,.... I loved it .

This system really binds fast , from what I,ve seen ( which is not much ) , is better than others .

Later

Mike

Old 07-31-2011, 07:03 AM
wkevinm

I had a failure with the Aurora 9 last weekend while flying a Q40 pylon racer. I lost control in the last race of the day, plane crashed after a wild ride of trying to regain control, cannot figure out problem. Perhaps someone can shed some light on where to look.

System
Aurora 9 TX with LIPO 2200 MAH TX battery, running at 100% power at time of failure.
Optima 7 RX with Thunderpower LIPO 2S-700MAH battery with 7.7 volts after crash, LOSI 6 Volt regulator. RX hook up- 7.4 volts to SPC, 6 Volts regulated to Servo bus
V tail airplane, new ( first day of racing with these servos) HS225MG servos on Rudder/ Elevators, and fuel cut-off. Digital servo on aileron

Plane came around pylon # 3 with 3 other planes, after about 5 laps, half way to # 1 plane then did not respond, I then shut off fuel supply (witnesses say they heard the power come off the plane). Plane proceeded to climb erratically and with may attempts to input control plane continue to perform erratically final crashing in a wet ditch.

Fuselage buried about 8" in mud, saving engine and wings and V tail. Fuselage not repairable (front 8" separated from rest of fuse).

Servos, battery, receiver, regulator, switch all still in position and not dislodged.

Testing performed after crash showed no signs of failure, all component working well on the bench including batteries.

All servos new this year about 60 minutes of actual flight time on each, rudder / elevator servos about 15 minutes flight time total. Races only last 1.5 minutes each.

I have never had a glitch on the system before and I run 4 other planes with same setup, no glitches.

Thoughts.... could this have been a radio linking problem? If so I am now worried about system integrity.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:49 AM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Thanks for your input. The Battery was a new Nobs battery from Hangtime. five cell 1650 Nimh that had five flights on, plus I had just taken it off the charger about 30 minutes prior to the flight. I checked with a volt meter and since this was a 30 or 45 second flight the battery still shows about 6.6 volts. I made and saved all the templates to the kit, so probably I'll build it again at some point in the future. I only have two of the Optima Seven Rx but will throw the crashed unit away today since I can no longer trust it. In fact, I may discard the other one as it is in a Hots. I will stick with the Optima nine from now on and that is what is in all my larger planes. I wonder if the single antenna of the seven could have had something to do with the range. I had flown this unit at this range in the past and had no issues. I hope there is nothing wrong with the Tx as I don't want to send it to Hitec until after the flying season. It does have a little... very little... of the, "for lack of a better term", dead band issue on ailerons pushed all the way to the left but I have not worried about it as I don't go that far in normal flying and on my 3d planes, the throws are so drastic this is not an issue. I'm hoping Mike Mayberry will weigh in here and tell me that NOT cycling the TX off and on after the range check was the problem. In the past, I always cycled the TX and RX off and back on after range checking. Like I said, the plane had gone a fairly large distance and once I got to it and turned it back on... "The crash was so hard it had thrown the switch forward shutting off the electrics. I always mount the switches to be off foward and on rearward incase I fly low and hit a blade of grass or take off on tall grass the switch will alway be pushed to the on position. I went out to the shop this morning and turned the switch on to the carnage again and all the servos worked as designed. I had flown a Spoiler, "the one in my avatar", not 20 minutes prior at an extremely high altitude as I was trying to touch a cloud with no issues, but it is equipped with a Optima 9. I have a gasser that I changed over to the A9 and had planned to fly next week but I'm a little nervous about it now that this has happened as it is a much more expensive plane. Ireally can't afford to fly it out of range or loose connection.

I remember now that I lost connection with that Ultimate once before back in the spring when I was building it. However at that time, I dismissed this as I was in the process of changing about eight other planes over to the A9 from 72 Mhz. I thought, and still think, that I had done something to cause the issue because at that time I had playing with the radio experimenting with scan ect.

Additional Information: I run MPI switches in all my planes except the gas unit. I installed the new Miricle switches in it and another on the building board when I changed them over to the A9.

BTW: I'm still running 1.06 as I never felt the need to upgrade. Could that be an issue? was there a problem with 1.06 that could have caused this.

Mike Mayberry! do you have any ideas?

thx
Old 07-31-2011, 09:08 AM
Michel

Hi

I run MPI switches in all my planes , I have received a Miracle Switch , that will most likely end up in my TF SpitFire . Looking at the switches , in the Miracle Switch. I do have my doubts , about these, and it really is because , " there made in China " . Vibration , can do a lot of damage , and you don,t get to see it when it happens .

Michel
Old 07-31-2011, 01:50 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: michel gravelle Hi I run MPI switches in all my planes , I have received a Miracle Switch , that will most likely end up in my TF SpitFire . Looking at the switches , in the Miracle Switch. I do have my doubts , about these, and it really is because , " there made in China " . Vibration , can do a lot of damage , and you don,t get to see it when it happens . Michel
All switches should be regularily cleaned, especially if mountedwith external exposure.
Which model "Miracle switch"? problems encountered with some regardless of system:
Aurora 9 - After Market Accessories: Caution re Opti-kill, Duralite, Powerbox, Switches, Leads etc.

See also sub Section "Glitches & Jitter in Receiver, Servo & ESC - causes and cures " under
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ." at:
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:55 PM
WILDCRASHWILLY

After reading my on post, I may need to clarify. The model lost had an MPI switch in it. Of course I'll toss it also due to the severity of the shock I'm sure it took. After reading AT's post, On my gas plane I may remove the Miricle switch off the Rx batteries and go back to MPI. Not sure about the IG bat. As far as the Ultimate with the glow engine, (Saito FA82), I feel like my crash was due to a reception issue since my other planes did good earlier in the day, but I'm not sure. I'm hoping it's not a Tx issue.

Again I want to thank everyone for thier opinion. I have been fortunate over the years and never had a crash due to equipment, Bats, or radios. I did catch an equipment failure on an old Airtronics in the early 80's but caught the issue in a preflight check so the crash was averted. Until this crash, all my crashes over the years were thanks to nothing or no one other than myself.

It's a strange feeling to see a plane going out of control 30 mistakes high and realize you can do nothing but resolve yourself to it's impending doom.

As I said the motor went to idle as that is my failsafe but when going straight down damage will occur. I checked the motor today, the crankshaft is bent which does not surprise me given how dry and hard the ground is around here.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:25 PM
AJsToyz

Bill,

Sorry about your loss. Keep an eye on Hitecs website, there is supposed to be an update for the receivers ( I believe ) . Mike Mayberry posted it in the Fg forums.

Andy
Old 07-31-2011, 05:23 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz Bill, Sorry about your loss. Keep an eye on Hitecs website, there is supposed to be an update for the receivers ( I believe ) . Mike Mayberry posted it in the Fg forums. Andy
copy my post 28 jul:
. Update
"FYI: The RX firmware update V3.01 should be up in the next couple of days. There has been speculation (as there always is) as to the validity of this update and the causes of some of the problems we have seen; All I can say it this is a GOOD THING as it improves the noise rejection capability of the RX as well as includes a re-boot feature if is it affected so at least it has a chance to recover. If other factors are involved then they will be addressed as well as needed.- Mike. "
. It would be all Optima's in which only the 7/9 can be updated by the user.
It is unknown if we will be able the O6's. Future RX's will have the updated firmware from the factory.- Mike.
. No need to remove them (Optima),
just connect to the data connection and your're good to go. While not a necessity, it's not a bad idea to rebind after an update and perform a range check just to be on the safe side.- Mike
<snip></snip>
and follow up 30Jul <snip></snip>
1. Believed due today, but remember Kr time difference, hope to see in another five+ hours or Monday.
2. Do not try to ring Mike (or his team) today.. Summer schedule..". 9 hours days and every other Friday off. - Mike."
3. Note to check Module is also updated to V3.01, especially if intending to use the newer receiver only units.
Optima Receivers - Light Weight. Optima_6 LITE Transceiver, Minima 6E & 6T Micro Receivers.
- Minima are compatible only with Spectra Module V3.01 or higher. .

more under Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers & Telemetry
- FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:34 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: A.T.
ORIGINAL: AJsToyz Bill, Sorry about your loss. Keep an eye on Hitecs website, there is supposed to be an update for the receivers ( I believe ) . Mike Mayberry posted it in the Fg forums. Andy
copy my post 28 jul:
. Update
"FYI: The RX firmware update V3.01 should be up in the next couple of days. There has been speculation (as there always is) as to the validity of this update and the causes of some of the problems we have seen; All I can say it this is a GOOD THING as it improves the noise rejection capability of the RX as well as includes a re-boot feature if is it affected so at least it has a chance to recover. If other factors are involved then they will be addressed as well as needed.- Mike. "
. It would be all Optima's in which only the 7/9 can be updated by the user.
It is unknown if we will be able the O6's. Future RX's will have the updated firmware from the factory.- Mike.
. No need to remove them (Optima),
just connect to the data connection and your're good to go. While not a necessity, it's not a bad idea to rebind after an update and perform a range check just to be on the safe side.- Mike
<snip></snip>
and follow up 30Jul <snip></snip>
1. Believed due today, but remember Kr time difference, hope to see in another five+ hours or Monday.
2. Do not try to ring Mike (or his team) today.. Summer schedule..". 9 hours days and every other Friday off. - Mike."
3. Note to check Module is also updated to V3.01, especially if intending to use the newer receiver only units.
Optima Receivers - Light Weight. Optima_6 LITE Transceiver, Minima 6E & 6T Micro Receivers.
- Minima are compatible only with Spectra Module V3.01 or higher. .

more under Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers & Telemetry
- FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Update 5Aug11: "Optima 6's will be able to be updated in the near future but will have to be sent in to do so.
Don't send them yet though... we are waiting on the jig. - Mike."

Alan T.
Murphy's Law applied, moments after posting above, guess what came on line
(being Monday here &Korea). - pictures attached

Please update your Optima 7 &9 transceivers.
V2.01 = (•Improved reboot and recovery methods after severe RF interference.)

Alan T.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44699.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	1642702  
Old 08-01-2011, 06:26 AM
Chancho

Regarding crash, I hope it's not the radio. I know you've had other successful birds, etc. with the same set up, etc. However, it amazes me how many planes I've seen go down because of "new batteries." To insatiate your own curiosities and help eliminate battery capacity - cycle the plane's batteries after a crash and list; Advertised mAh capacity,crash voltage, Discharge current in mAh, Discharged voltage,Charge current in mAh's, peak charged voltage and rest voltage after charge, (voltage after the cells have sat 8 to 12 hours after coming off the charger.)

Also I've seen crashes from, "New", packs having internal flaws at either the weld tab or the solder connection. These are assembled by humans and are not %100perfect. One would expect a tighter quality control, but there are many variables that go into battery packs and the manufacturing of one. There are no two cells made identical in any of the chemistries. They will be close coming from the same batch off the line, but the will all differ in their advertised capabilities.

I always cycle and record capacity of a new packbefore first use. I want to verify the size of the batteries “Gas tank” and that it is capable of depleting and putting back in something what is close to advertised.
Other than that the only thing I can think of was a servo issue where one of the control surfaces either jammed or was overloaded and was able to bring the pack voltage down to knock out the receiver. It jt doesn’t sound right dropping a bird out of the air like that. “It’s not supposed to happen.”

And after a crash like that, I'll peel away the heat shrink from the battery pack to verify connectivity, I will take apart the switch and verify to the best of my ability that there were no internal connection errros before throwing away, (even then a switch can look good, but vibrations cause a break in the circuit when airborn.)Connectors should have been safety wired or similar but should get taken apart and verified that the prongs holding the pins are resilient and making good contact. I’ve even cycled servos with their max weight capabilities and spliced in an amp meter to verify current draw after several cycles, etc. “It’s up to you how far you want to go postmortem plane crash, but to me it’s part of the hobby and bugs me to the end if I don’t know or can’t narrow something down with pretty good certainty.”

Keep us posted...

Phil
Old 08-01-2011, 07:10 AM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Thanks Phil,

That's very good advise, I'll go out to the shop and cycle the battery and check the voltage as you suggest. I have an accu cycler elite and normally cycle all my batteries every spring. I normally run a new battery through two cycles. However, since you mentioned it I don't remember doing that on this one, but also, I don't remember not doing it. Over the years I do so much automatically I can't actually remember if I did this one, but I feel I did. After the crash with a hobbico sweep meter the bats checked about 6.7 volts. I don't know what the max is on the normal servo side of the RX Optima 7 but when checking with a hobbico digital meter and the load turned on to 6 volts, the meter read 7 to 7.1 volts which seems a little high to me. Just prior to the flight, I had checked the battery and it was about 6.2 volts loaded so I put a quick charger on it to play it safe. I'm now wondering if I had too much voltage in the bat. I'm ordering a new quick charger this morning as the high voltage does concern me. That particular quick charger is almost eleven years old.

I also plan to take the carnage and have my son drive up the road to mimic the distance where I lost the signal to see If I can duplicate the failure.

BTW: I've always installed heat shrink on all my switch connectors and servo extensions whenever they are used. In recent years, I have just extended servo cables by soldering in HD servo wire that I purchase from Troy Bilt Models.

I had planned to take my big plane out next week which would have been the first time on the new radio system but now I'm concerened since I have been unable to isolate or duplicate the issue.

Again Thanks for the suggestion. I should have already cycled the bat. and measured it. I guess in all the hoopla over the crash I'm forgetting the basic post mordem. Thanks fro the reninder as I hadn't thought to do this. All servos are still working, even after all the damage. Since I had just taken off and climbed the only controls inputed were gradule up elevator, probably 80% throttle. And I had just very slightly started a roll command to the right to begin a turn. I had mad a very long fly out and gentle turn hence had a considerable distance between me and the plane. about 500/600 ft away from the field and about 450 ft in alt.

I'll let you know what readings I get.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:16 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: Chancho
>
>
>
>
Connectors should have been safety wired or similar but should get taken apart and verified that the prongs holding the pins are resilient and making good contact.
>
>
>

Keep us posted...

Phil
Hello Phil (aka ... Chancho)

You and I have a lot in common in our thinking.

Unfortunately it is not always possible to do some of the verifications or testsas you describe.

An example ___
I just bought a new Radian pro sailplane.
There is four connectors for the wings; two to the flap servos and two to the ailerons.
I was not happy with those connectors of poor quality. Two of them actually were just slipping into each other without any feeling of good electrical contact. They would slip out nearly by themselves and I was making sure they were being pushed in hard enough to bottom (to be fully in).

Nothing can be done about the metal male pins so I spent hours trying to find a way of removing the female metal parts out of the plastic connector housing.

No way could be found else than ruining the female metal part or the plastic housing of the connector.
I was hoping to be able to squeeze in the female part of the connection and assuring a good proper electrical connection.

This being the first RTF I ever bought in over 50 years of modeling, I sure am not impressed with the quality of the supplied material.

Thanks for your interesting posting.

Zor
Old 08-01-2011, 08:02 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: A.T.

All switches should be regularily cleaned, especially if mountedwith external exposure.
Which model "Miracle switch"? problems encountered with some regardless of system:
>
>
>
>
Alan T.

Hello Alan T,

I nearly always read your multiple postings and find them very interesting including this one.

When or if I have doubts about the reliability of a switch I do not take it apart to clean it.
Many type of switches cannot be opened without damaging the housing.

I simply replace it with a new switch of proper rating.

Can you imagine a kit supplying a switch rated at 125 volts 2 (yes two) amps labelled right on the switch in the motor circuit carrying 15 amps to a motor and that switch connected in series with a 20 amp automotive type fuse ?

That is what I found with my Spectra sailplane kit and it was pre-connected together by the kit manufacturer. WOW !

I wonder how often you may have cleaned switches.

Best regards de Zor
Old 08-01-2011, 10:10 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: WILDCRASHWILLY

Thanks Phil,

That's very good advise, I'll go out to the shop and cycle the battery and check the voltage as you suggest. I have an accu cycler elite and normally cycle all my batteries every spring. I normally run a new battery through two cycles. However, since you mentioned it I don't remember doing that on this one, but also, I don't remember not doing it. Over the years I do so much automatically I can't actually remember if I did this one, but I feel I did. After the crash with a hobbico sweep meter the bats checked about 6.7 volts. I don't know what the max is on the normal servo side of the RX Optima 7 but when checking with a hobbico digital meter and the load turned on to 6 volts, the meter read 7 to 7.1 volts which seems a little high to me. Just prior to the flight, I had checked the battery and it was about 6.2 volts loaded so I put a quick charger on it to play it safe. I'm now wondering if I had too much voltage in the bat. I'm ordering a new quick charger this morning as the high voltage does concern me. That particular quick charger is almost eleven years old.

I also plan to take the carnage and have my son drive up the road to mimic the distance where I lost the signal to see If I can duplicate the failure.

BTW: I've always installed heat shrink on all my switch connectors and servo extensions whenever they are used. In recent years, I have just extended servo cables by soldering in HD servo wire that I purchase from Troy Bilt Models.

I had planned to take my big plane out next week which would have been the first time on the new radio system but now I'm concerened since I have been unable to isolate or duplicate the issue.

Again Thanks for the suggestion. I should have already cycled the bat. and measured it. I guess in all the hoopla over the crash I'm forgetting the basic post mordem. Thanks fro the reninder as I hadn't thought to do this. All servos are still working, even after all the damage. Since I had just taken off and climbed the only controls inputed were gradule up elevator, probably 80% throttle. And I had just very slightly started a roll command to the right to begin a turn. I had mad a very long fly out and gentle turn hence had a considerable distance between me and the plane. about 500/600 ft away from the field and about 450 ft in alt.

I'll let you know what readings I get.
NoBS batteries used to post a procedure for Forming the Cells on NiMh batteries. Before initial use, they recommended putting the batteries through 3 Charge/Discharge cycles, at 100ma. This takes about 3 days.

I use LiPo or LiFe Rx packs and do not have to do this.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:12 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: Zor
ORIGINAL: A.T.All switches should be regularily cleaned, especially if mountedwith external exposure.Which model "Miracle switch"? problems encountered with some regardless of system:>Alan T.
Hello Alan T,
I nearly always read your multiple postings and find them very interesting including this one.
When or if I have doubts about the reliability of a switch I do not take it apart to clean it.
Many type of switches cannot be opened without damaging the housing.
I simply replace it with a new switch of proper rating.
Can you imagine a kit supplying a switch rated at 125 volts 2 (yes two) amps labelled right on the switch in the motor circuit carrying 15 amps to a motor and that switch connected in series with a 20 amp automotive type fuse ? That is what I found with my Spectra sailplane kit and it was pre-connected together by the kit manufacturer. WOW ! I wonder how often you may have cleaned switches.
Best regards de Zor
Was referring to RXswitches on GP and Sailplane models, typically flown onfields which when dry and dusty, wet and muddy or covered with cow/sheep dung createhazards to models, especially exposed switches,so surelycommonsense should always prevail. High performance switches are a separate issue and if any switch had to be disassembledor slight doubt is raised, replace switch/plug/leadimmediately, being cheapest part of a model.
Living on edge of Auckland harbour, would never think of using any RCmodel withoutworking/cleaning the switch &all receiver connectionson any model that had been unused for longer than a couple of months as the salt air gets into every thing not hermetically sealed. Until recently, had in excess of seventy models, some not used for lengthy periods between events.
Spray lightlythrough switch with plastic friendly electronic cleaner and work switch a couple of times to ensure good smooth corrosion, dirt and dust free operation.

Alan T.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:59 PM
boothg-3

you stated you fast charged the nimh pack prior to flying
nimhs do not like being fast charged at more than a c 10 rate
165 mill. on a 1650 pack , i fried two in the same plane with a fast field charger
they had been charged before numerous times but one day i checked them in the pits both at nominal voltage
and went to the flight line ,had to wait a bit for my turn and when i switched on the radio both batteries were dead
post inspection revealed the one pack had torched and since they were both sandwiched together it killed the other pack
i was lucky
Old 08-02-2011, 04:15 AM
Zor
Banned

AT,

A word of explanation as to what prompted me to comment about one of your many postings.
The first and likely the only posting referring to one of yours.

Having spent a good part of my life in electrical and electronic engineering, to me a switch is a device that closes or open an electrical circuit.
Consequently the need to clean a switch is the result of pitting and unreliable operaton at the contacts due to arcing or the rare occasion when some mechanical failure may occur in the mechanism.

I now understand that your reference was to the outside of the switches case and had nothing to do with its electrical function.

I fully agree that general cleanliness on the outside surfaces is the proper attitude.
Many items have switches not readily available as replacement items and I have occasionally been able to open a swtich (in the sense of mechanical dissassembly) to clean the contacts.

So please excuse me for thinking "electrical function" and what goes on in an electrical circuit as compared to overall physical appearance of the devices.

Passing by _ _ _ you deserve lots of appreciation for the help you are bringing to many modelers and / or fliers. It appears to me that a good part of your hobby or business has to do with keeping infomed of what goes on in this hobby industry.

Many thanks for your reply.

Zor

Old 08-02-2011, 07:54 PM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Phil,,, Rich,

I looked at some notes I made during the kit construction and found where I did cycle the batteries, however, I only cycled them twice. Not sure why as I normally cycle three times as suggested every spring, even new batteries. Phil, I decided to hold off discharging measuring and cycling the batteries until this evening. I wanted to do a range check before taking the system or the battery out of what was left of the plane. I did a powerdown range check. I then , "WITHOUT CYCLING TX OR RX POWER", had my son take my radio get in the car and go up the road while moving the controls at various distances. He went half a mile and all surfaces moved normally. I did not have him drive any farther since the vehicle was getting pretty small for line of sight and in fact actually drove out of site the last 300 feet as he went behid a row of trees. I doubt very seriously that I would fly any greater distance than this. Soooo, I,m feeling better about the Tx. now I'm looking at a possible intermittent switch issue which to date have not duplicated. As Phil suggested. I'm doing a discharge first to measure remaining Mah. Then I will cycle a couple of times to see if anything crops up. As I mentioned the battery seem to have a higher charge in it than normal after using the quick charger, so it's possible I may have induced the failure with a battery that was a little too hot. I think it,s time I get a new quick charger anyway, or I may just start quick charging with my Hobbico Elite. I can set the parameters on it to charge as fast as or slow as I want. I will let you know what the Mahs are after dischargeing only. And also, after cycling a couple of times. I'm going to spend a little more time on the switch. If I can't find anything else, I'm going to chalk it off to a possible intermittent Rx. I will do a very extensive test on any of the other planes this next weekend before and when I fly. I would hate to tear up a second one.

BTW: Got a new header pipe for the Spoiler yesterday. If you remember, the wind had blown it off a test stand breaking the header pipe while I was out looking for the Ultimate.

Thanks to all.
Talk to you guys later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.