Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Add Telemetry or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 07:14 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Add Telemetry or Not?

I have a question that I can see both sides of, but am leaning to not adding telemetry to my glow powered plane.

Here is what I am considering. I am in the process of assembling my Escapade 40, but it has just been too hot here in OK to get excited about finishing. Anyway, this is my first plane back since a 5year break. I am flying a T38 Parkzone flyer and loving getting back in the air, so I am getting my skills back. I have a DX8 transmitter that came with the AR8000 receiver and telemetry module. It has all the parts to add telemetry to the Escapade (if I want to), however, I am thinking that it isn't necessary on a 40 size glow aircraft.

I have been looking at the cost of the module ($56) on Horizon and the extra measurements I might want to add and it ain't cheap. My next plane is a Pulse 125 and I am thinking that the money it would take to add telemetry to it would be not needed, if I just keep the telemetry for the Pulse and not add it to the Escapade. I was flying before without telemetry, so I don't see the big need until I get in into the larger planes.

Your thoughts are very welcome and appreciated.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:19 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Add Telemetry or Not?

I'd run it just for the cool factor. Well, that, and so I'd be able to tell at a glance what's going on if the engine starts acting funny or if it's feeling sluggish. It may just be a 40 size glow but the feedback, IMO, is still highly valuable.

If I were to do telemetry, and it was all supported, I'd have the following:

Engine RPM
Engine temp @ glow plug
EGT
Fuel level
Gs in all three axes, + and - 5
Attitude
Altitude
GPS vehicle speed
Rx pack voltage
Old 08-04-2011, 08:30 AM
dredhea
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a vote in the other direction. I think of telemetry a a "Gee Whiz" function. I don't like taking my eyes off my plane long enough to look down at the timer. Plus, I would want info while the plane was doing something that I really shouldn't be taking my eyes off it. Just from a safety standpoint alone, I don't care for anything that pulls the pilot's attention away from the plane.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:32 AM

You don't have to constantly stare at the telemetry you know.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:36 AM
dredhea
My Feedback: (13)

You're right, 378. And it also depends on the plane. I'd be more likely to add telemetry to my Cub than to my Little Toni. The amount of sky they cover in the second or two I looked away is what would make the difference.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:11 AM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I see Telemetry as a "Gee Wiz" feature also. I mean, sure it's nice to know if my battery is about to die, but I'm not going to take my eyes off the plane to check it!

Besides, where will it end? Will it tell me if I'm running low on fuel? Will it tell me if I have a piece of covering that is coming loose or a screw has fallen out?

Some things just have to be left to the risk factor. (IMHO)

Now I know that some people will come in a flame me by saying, "If there's something you can do to prevent a crash, you should do it!" Fine, if that's YOUR choice, have at it. Far be it from me to try to stop you.

But personally, I would much rather throw a plane in the air and have some fun than spend all my time worrying about how to prevent a crash.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:14 AM
Pilot232
My Feedback: (3)

MinnFlyer,

I agree completely!!

Warm Regards,

Travis
Old 08-04-2011, 09:18 AM
hookedonrc

Minnflyer, you and dredhea are thinking just about like me. Sure it is a nice to have, but I don't remember ever looking at my transmitter for more than a second or two and it wasn't to read the display. That's why you have a beeper on the timer so that you keep your eyes on the plane. It might be ok if a spotter is looking over your shoulder and telling you the results. That is why I am leaning to keeping it for the Pulse. It has more space, a DLE30 to keep track of on the ignition power and it may be worth it to have it in the plane. I just can't see putting it in the Escapade and then spending the $56 bucks plus for the telemetry module (for the Pulse) and additional costs for the added data feeds. And since it came with the transmitter, my cash outlay is already in the books...not that it ever stopped me before...
Old 08-04-2011, 09:48 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree that it's more of a "gee whiz" feature. There is nothing that the telemetry can tell me that my eyes, ears, and a pre-flight check can't tell me. In the air I can see and hear my plane and have a pretty good idea what's going on with it, how high and how fast I am. As for fuel usage, a timer is a great way to keep track of how much I've used. And for battery levels, a quick check with a extended scale voltmeter before the flight will tell me if I have enough left to fly. If my batteries are so close to being low that I would need to monitor them in flight then I shouldn't be flying that "last flight" anyway.

I'm not looking down on anybody that wants to have telemetry, but for me I just can find someplace else to spend that money

Now I don't have any hard facts here, but just my "crystal ball" and a gut feeling about what is coming down. So please don't quote me as "fact". But if I were a betting man I would lay money that when the new FAA regs come out we will find that we won't be able to use telemetry anyway? Why?? Because when you establish two communication between your plane and your radio you will then move from flying a "model airplane" to flying a "UAV". The new regulations are going to try to separate out models from UAV's and my guess is that 2-way communications will be one of the determining factors in how you separate them. This is not a fact yet, but like I said it's my guess as to what's going to happen. If I were to invest in telemetry (which I'm not, see above) I would wait until at least the new FAA proposed regs are released later this year. I would hate to have spent money on equipment that I won't be able to use anymore.

Anyway, that's  my 2 cents worth!!

Ken
Old 08-04-2011, 10:51 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I forsee a HUD projector in a pair of glasses that will project data such as time, alt, spd, wind spd and dir, and power managment. That would be cool for in flight planning and setting up landing, especially on a large scale model.

But I still like flying the old way of by the seat of my pants.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:35 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: RCKen
Now I don't have any hard facts here, but just my ''crystal ball'' and a gut feeling about what is coming down. So please don't quote me as ''fact''. But if I were a betting man I would lay money that when the new FAA regs come out we will find that we won't be able to use telemetry anyway? Why?? Because when you establish two communication between your plane and your radio you will then move from flying a ''model airplane'' to flying a ''UAV''. The new regulations are going to try to separate out models from UAV's and my guess is that 2-way communications will be one of the determining factors in how you separate them. This is not a fact yet, but like I said it's my guess as to what's going to happen. If I were to invest in telemetry (which I'm not, see above) I would wait until at least the new FAA proposed regs are released later this year. I would hate to have spent money on equipment that I won't be able to use anymore.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth!!

Ken
Interesting. I was leaning towards betting the other way, that the FAA will require it. If they require at least altimeter and speed functions, then they can stop by any old RC field and ask to review your data, and issue tickets for every instance your plane goes faster than X mph or higher than Y feet agl.

There are already little black boxes in new vehicles which can be used against you in case of an accident, why not target the hobby also?

Old 08-04-2011, 03:40 PM
outdoorhunting

I would think, by the time you spend all the time & money getting everything working to get that fancy stuff going. You could have another plane in the air !!! Besides,I've got enough to worry about keeping my attention on the plane I have in the air ! A.D.D you know !
Old 08-06-2011, 08:10 AM
imp3r10

ORIGINAL: 378

I'd run it just for the cool factor. Well, that, and so I'd be able to tell at a glance what's going on if the engine starts acting funny or if it's feeling sluggish. It may just be a 40 size glow but the feedback, IMO, is still highly valuable.

If I were to do telemetry, and it was all supported, I'd have the following:

Engine RPM
Engine temp @ glow plug
EGT
Fuel level
Gs in all three axes, + and - 5
Attitude
Altitude
GPS vehicle speed
Rx pack voltage
what units are attitude in?

Old 08-06-2011, 08:27 AM
carrellh

I personally would not spend money for telemetry. I do not need, or want, real time info while flying. Other people do and that's fine since it is not my money.

Units to record things like altitude, speed, etc into onboard memory have existed for years but I have only seen one person with them. He had fun playing with them and we all learned that we cannot judge altitude or speed very well. We all guessed he went higher and faster than the data recorder showed.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:29 AM

ORIGINAL: imp3r10

Degrees of pitch, yaw and roll would be the output of that sensor.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:57 AM
hookedonrc

378 - I think you need to read closer.... there is an L in Altitude...not attitude...

Attitude units would be something like:

1. cooperative
2. uncooperative
3. good
4. bad
5. poor....etc.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:22 AM
imp3r10

ORIGINAL: 378

ORIGINAL: imp3r10

Degrees of pitch, yaw and roll would be the output of that sensor.
is this a real thing that i was unaware of?

Old 08-06-2011, 12:52 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Telemetry in R/C is a solution looking for a problem to solve, IMHO.

Most pilots don't even do a thorough pre-flite inspection so this technology is of no use to them as these basics are what will prevent the majority of severe deceleration incidents. In addition most pilots can't tune an engine properly so the telemetry is wasted on them. Being able to point a finger at the cause of an incident is worthless so telemetry is like being seen by a pathologist after dying rather than by a doctor during a preventative medical checkup.

I like toys, such as electronic devices, but the telemetry "wars" leave me yawning.

I guess that some time in the future I will install telemetry devices just because I am curious. These units will most likely never change the way I set up or fly my aircraft.

Bliksem
Old 08-06-2011, 01:07 PM
outdoorhunting

I have enough trouble sometimes keeping the *&^%% motor running, I don't need anything else to figure out. My brain only computes so much !!
Old 08-09-2011, 08:05 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

As a retired Aerospace engineer I really wanted RTO when Eagletree came out. So I had some of the first units. I found it was not really accurate enough to be useful. Our aircraft fly at low speed and low altitudes. The available sensors just don't have the resolution at the required low values to be anything more than a curiosity.
Some of the recordings in the aircraft could be of use when you plotted it on your computer after the flight,especially flight pack voltage. But you could not really do anything about it if you got the info in real time.
Ultimately I decided it was not worth all of the effort it took to hook up all of those sensors and run all of those wires.
My $500 Eagletree system sits in a drawer in my garage. I haven't use it in several years.