Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Spektrum DX8 Warbird setup????!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 06:59 AM
harttvboy04
My Feedback: (32)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum DX8 Warbird setup????!!!!!

No worries-

You provided some EXTREMELY helpful information. This answers my questions- essentially if I want to get a larger warbird I'll need either a heftier radio or a powerbox to set everything up, which is just fine by me. I'd love to get into a nice 40-50cc mustang, but the radio requirements seem to necessitate more maintenance to be safe than I have time for. I'll just get my 1/4 cub and be happy with a huge wingspan compared to everything I own. This will make me happy. I wish I knew of a 1/4 bush type scale cub...I know aeroworks is nice, but too heavy in my opinion. What do you guys think?

Best,

Chris
Old 07-11-2011, 05:38 PM
harttvboy04

Hi All!

I have been very lucky in my search for a Giant Warbird - I found it!

I just acquired a Hangar 9 P-47 150 RTF with servos and Saito 180 for $550! It was a steal with the remainder of the equipment that was included, even though the frame needs some TLC.

I am using the 921x RX to guide this plane as I felt that a more robust receiver was just appropriate for this application.

My goal with my DX8 is to use any as small a number of reversing/non reversing y harnesses, as eventually I will want to tweak each channel to make this bird fly the way it deserves to.

Here is the setup:

2x elevator servos
2x flap servos
2x aileron servos
2x retract servos (a must with the new a7000's)
1x throttle

I currently own a SmartFly Equalizer II, and will use it if necessary.

I PM'd this to Andy, but I realize he is busy, especially since this forum was nearly hijacked a few posts ago. Thanks to all who can offer help!
Old 07-11-2011, 06:08 PM
ror

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad you got your questions answered...
I have a 50cc 1/3 scale Pitts Special that is fitted with just a plain old Kraft radio.
How did it ever fly?
Old 07-11-2011, 06:18 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: harttvboy04

Hi All!

I have been very lucky in my search for a Giant Warbird - I found it!

I just acquired a Hangar 9 P-47 150 RTF with servos and Saito 180 for $550! It was a steal with the remainder of the equipment that was included, even though the frame needs some TLC.

I am using the 921x RX to guide this plane as I felt that a more robust receiver was just appropriate for this application.

My goal with my DX8 is to use any as small a number of reversing/non reversing y harnesses, as eventually I will want to tweak each channel to make this bird fly the way it deserves to.

Here is the setup:

2x elevator servos
2x flap servos
2x aileron servos
2x retract servos (a must with the new a7000's)
1x throttle

I currently own a SmartFly Equalizer II, and will use it if necessary.

I PM'd this to Andy, but I realize he is busy, especially since this forum was nearly hijacked a few posts ago. Thanks to all who can offer help!
I have a P47-150, with a Fuji32ei gas engine, that I have been flying for at least 3 years. I have a JR XP9303 with a Spektrum Module and an AR9000. I am using two Matchboxes. One is for Elevators and one is for Flaps. I have each Aileron servo, each JR791 Retract servo, Rudder, Throttle, and ElectroDynamics Optical Kill Switch, on separate channels. I put the Retract servos on separate channels so I could Delay one for the scale effect.

I am running an APC 18x8 prop, but I have run an APC 18x12.

I would highly advise against Y Harnesses for any major Control Surface and especially a Reversing Y. You need to Match the servos on Elevators, Flaps, and Ailerons (that is why I use a Matchbox if I do not have enough Channels on the Tx). I have not found a Reversing Y that did not Drift of Neutral every few flights and the Reversing circuit is a source for RF Noise when using a Gasoline engine. The Flap servo on the Reversing Circuit chattered like crazy every time I started the engine, when I used 72Mhz. I tried new servos and new Reversing Y, and did not cure the problem until I used the Matchbox. I have had this same problem on other Gas aircraft, as well.

Using 2.4Ghz may eliminate the RF noise problem I had, but I never went back to the Reversing Y to check.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:47 AM
Doug47
My Feedback: (24)

How did it ever fly?
That's awesome . How DID it ever fly indeed, and uh,oh, wouldn't a y-harness or two have been required then ?
Matchboxes,incidentally, have been known to cause cars parked in their vicinity to burst into flames without warning.
Also several old-timers (oh..I.m one ) have reportedly been slain when the Matchbox interferred with their pace maker circuitry.
Y-Harnesses now, they also have their own problems reported. They've been identified as the tool of choice for auto-erotic suicides by obsessed control freaks . Doug
Old 07-12-2011, 04:06 AM
harttvboy04

Well,

As of now the aircraft has not flown under my guidance. I have started the engine to make sure that the engine did in fact run and I have begun the radio setup. Now I am thinking it might have been best to use a 9503 TX, just because of all the mixing required, but the dx8 was so much softer on the wallet that I could not make the jump. He'll, I may not have been able to purchase the aircraft I am attempting to setup!

I was advised to speak to John on the horizon Facebook page to obtain the info I am looking for- Andy was unable to help me

I'll keep you all posted, and please fill in if you know how to do what I am trying to do!

Best,

Chris
Old 07-12-2011, 04:45 AM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: Doug47

How did it ever fly?
That's awesome . How DID it ever fly indeed, and uh,oh, wouldn't a y-harness or two have been required then ?
Matchboxes,incidentally, have been known to cause cars parked in their vicinity to burst into flames without warning.
Also several old-timers (oh..I.m one ) have reportedly been slain when the Matchbox interferred with their pace maker circuitry.
Y-Harnesses now, they also have their own problems reported. They've been identified as the tool of choice for auto-erotic suicides by obsessed control freaks . Doug
I guess we had the Y Harness discussion on the previous page. I had forgotten. I have had problems with many Y Harnesses, but never any problems with Matchboxes. Perhaps Y Harnesses are less of an issue with 2.4Ghz radios and newer servos.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:48 AM
3D Romeo
My Feedback: (111)

A word concerning Y-Harnesses...

I just finished assembling a Great Planes WACO for a customer where we used (2) Y-Harnesses for the (4) aileron servos. I would have preferred to plug in each aileron separately and mix them in the radio (JR X9503). But he only gave me a 6 channel receiver to use in this airplane. So I had to make do with what I was supplied.

After finishing up the airplane, and programing the radio, it was delivered to the customer. The following day I got a call from him saying that one of the ailerons was locking in the up position. So I told him to bring it back to me, so I could check it out. I was never able to duplicate what he described in my shop. But to be safe we figured it would be best to swap out the servo. At this time we never suspected that it could be a Y-Harness. After all, how could it be the Y-Harness? It's just a couple wires that NEVER has any problems, right. So I swapped out the suspect servo, tested it out to make sure that it was working, and sent the customer on his way. The next day I got another phone call from him saying that the aileron was locking in the up position just like before. I've had bad servos before, but I knew the odds had to be pretty small to get two bad servos in a row, especially from two different batches. So I started to look for problems elsewhere. I knew it couldn't be the receiver. Because if one servo was locking up, the Y-Harness would cause the opposite aileron to lock up as well. After ruling out the servos, and the receiver, the only thing left I could think of was the Y-Harness. I still don't know how a Y-Harness could cause an aileron to lock in the up position? All I know is that swapping out the Y-Harness with a new one cured the problem, and I haven't had a call from this customer since.

Some additional Y-Harness info for Doug (and anyone else who apparently hasn't disassembled very many Y-Harnesses). If you cut open the shrink wrap, or plastic molded piece on some of the more modern Y-Harnesses, thats around the "Y" joint...EVERY Y-Harness I've inspected has used solder to join the wires! I personally don't use Y-Harnesses anymore. So just to appease my curiosity I've been cutting open all the different brands of Y-Harnesses that I own to inspect their construction. So far I've found three different brands in my shop, and they all use soldered joints at the "Y".

Mark
Old 08-08-2011, 10:58 AM
ror

so what was wrong with the Y harness? solder? bad pin?
I just got back into the hobby after 25 years out and I must say that I am not impressed with the servo connectors used today.
I was more used to the gold connectors that Kraft Radio used than these cheap connectors used now.
If you increase the number of connectors used you will increase the rish of something going wrong and I would say that the connectorsare the weak point of the radio system for sure.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:35 AM
3D Romeo

ror,

I couldn't find any problem with the Y-Harness. All Pins seemed to be firmly crimped to the wires, and everything checked out with a meter. I cut off the plastic piece molded around the "Y" joint, and all the solder connections seemed to be soldered well, and protected with shrink tubing. All I know is that the problem never appeared again after swapping it out for a new one.

I didn't think of it when I was inspecting the Y-Harness, until it was brought up in this thread, but maybe it had something to do with the voltage passing from one wire to two? It may have been worth checking out the voltage at both servos while everything was still installed in the system? Like I said though, I was never able to duplicate the problem in my shop. So I never looked into it too deeply. It was cheaper, and far less time consuming, to just swap out components until the problem was solved.

Now that I think of it, it probably would've been worth checking the voltages from the receiver to make sure that all ports were putting out the correct voltage? If the one that the ailerons were plugged into wasn't supplying the correct voltage I can see where it may have caused a problem. Although the customer hasn't had any problems since since swapping out the Y-Harness. So I don't think the receiver was the problem.

Mark
Old 08-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Doug47

I was more used to the gold connectors that Kraft Radio used than these cheap connectors used now.
Same here.
I've been buying those heavy duty extensions,y-harnesses, etc. from Maxx Products.
http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-3.html
I think if you guys looked at them you'd be impressed. The gold connectors, the robust quality of all components, will put you in mind of those Kraft products . Doug
Old 08-08-2011, 11:41 AM
3D Romeo

The Y-Harness in question was an ESM Heavy Duty Extension with Gold Plated Connections. They are very popular with the car guys, and sold at many leading hobby dealers, like Tower Hobbies.

Mark
Old 08-08-2011, 12:59 PM
ror

sorry to be so negative yet again but I bought a MAXX universal servo extension and I was not impressed with the gripping force. It was a lot less than my Spektrum cables so I taped the servo lead into theextension connector.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:29 PM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: ror

sorry to be so negative yet again but I bought a MAXX universal servo extension and I was not impressed with the gripping force. It was a lot less than my Spektrum cables so I taped the servo lead into the extension connector.
No matter whose extensions you buy, it is always a good idea to secure the connectors with Dental Floss or Shrink Wrap, if they stay connected all the time, or Connector Clips, if you disconnect the extensions every day. I do not like tape, because the adhesive can get inside the female connector and make it difficult to separate.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:04 PM
Doug47

Yup, I like those Ernst yellow clips, they aren't going anywhere .
I'm throwing together a foamie profile tonight and you can bet I'll use a y-harness.
And it'll work great, just like they always have every single time I've used them.
I wont be losing any sleep
I dont get it. Like I said, I ve been doing r/c planes 22 plus years, helis going on two years. I just haven't had any problems with any radio gear. Sometimes some of these threads remind me of the stuff I read about when I was a kid when radio glitches, losses of signal, erratic servo actuation, etc.,etc. were a part of the scenery and routine.
Not at the fields I fly at. Doug
Old 08-08-2011, 07:22 PM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: Doug47

Yup, I like those Ernst yellow clips, they aren't going anywhere .
I'm throwing together a foamie profile tonight and you can bet I'll use a y-harness.
And it'll work great, just like they always have every single time I've used them.
I wont be losing any sleep
I dont get it. Like I said, I ve been doing r/c planes 22 plus years, helis going on two years. I just haven't had any problems with any radio gear. Sometimes some of these threads remind me of the stuff I read about when I was a kid when radio glitches, losses of signal, erratic servo actuation, etc.,etc. were a part of the scenery and routine.
Not at the fields I fly at. Doug
I believe you when you say that you have never had problems with Y Harnesses. I have had very little problems when using higher quality Y's with heavier guage wire (20-22), but I have personally seen instances where a Y Harness was the cause of a servo problem and replacing the Y Harness resolved the problem. These are facts, not theories or conjecture. You have been fortunate not to have experienced a problem. I do not fault you for using them. We each assess the Risks every time we decide to fly.

Will you ever experience a problem traced to a Y Harness? Who knows!!

Can a Y Harness cause a problem in an aircraft? Absolutely, yes!!

Are there others, besides me, who have experienced a problem with a Y Harness? Yes!!
Old 08-08-2011, 07:36 PM
3D Romeo

Doug,

It is rare to get two servos where the servo arms line up exactly where needed AND exactly with each other (and I mean exactly...not close, or close enough, but exactly). How do you get your servo arms to line up using a Y-Harness? Oh, that's right, you can't! You have to adjust your trims to average out the two servos, so they have the same misalignment on both. Sounds like a good accurate way of doing things lol.

Y-Harnesses are fine for those lucky enough to find two servos where the arms line up exactly where needed, and that match each other exactly...or for hacks that just don't care about any accuracy, or precision in their setups. But there is no beating using a separate channel for each servo where accuracy is of any concern.

...Unless you use a servo programmer to setup your servos. Then, I guess, a Y-Harness would be fine.

Lets not forget about safety, too. With a Y-Harness if you lose the channel that your ailerons, or elevators, are plugged into you lose control of both surfaces. With each servo plugged into a separate channel you will only lose control of one of the surfaces, and still have control of the other. I know, losing a channel, is rare...but it can happen.

Mark