Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone S.E.5a

Old 06-30-2011, 05:12 PM
Raycamaro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parkzone S.E.5a

Anybody have any info on the arrival date? I have already ordered one from Red Rocket Hobbies.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:49 PM
Saburo Sakai

Default RE: Parkzone S.E.5a

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ5580

They've got it arriving "late July". Tick-tock! Looks like she'll be worth the wait, and we await your reports....
Old 07-02-2011, 03:17 PM
mad web tv scientist

S.E.5a I'M IN LOVE! It's all PZ's fault. I will, however, take out my rage on the messenger who delivered the frustrating message. Here I was just minding my own business enjoying my WWII fighters when without warning this Japanese Ace launches his dastardly sneak attack on me, all the while knowing perfectly well that I am fully committed to saving Western Civilization with upcoming Hurricane and Spitfire fighters and that there are no reserves.

Like heroic fighter pilots who sacrificed above and beyond the call of duty for Queen and Country the unendurable must be endured. Only after we have put the Hun on the run can we allow ourselves to enjoy the pleasures that only an S.E.5a can provide. I just hope there are some left after the hoards get through with their rapacious plundering exploits!

Out!

__________________________________________________ ___
FIGHTERS - AVIATION'S ULTIMATE CALL TO GLORY, HONOR, AND IMMORTALITY - Please see immortality promoting Blog - Rom. 2.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:49 PM
mad web tv scientist

FABULOUS FIGHTER REPORT

Ran five (5) stock batteries down to a safe storage level with the S.E.5a today. The absolutely fabulous thing about this new flying machine besides the amazing precision of all the parts, scale detail, and efficient structure is the new technology motor. At the moment the APC 12X6 E works virtually perfectly providing more power at the same flight endurance while using 15C batteries where much higher C batteries are normally required. It's amazing to be able to almost have .15 power with a 480 size motor with the stock battery.

More, much more later after some chores are handled. I love this airplane but my landings need a lot more work at my grass fields.

Out.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:39 PM
eagledancer

just got one of these, cant wait for the maiden flight
Old 08-07-2011, 06:32 PM
mad web tv scientist

eagle, as a Waco enthusiast you will surely enjoy this RAF S.E.5a. It performs very well and I think it looks really great in the air as well as on the ground.

I've been shot down by the dastardly "Sorry . . . timed out" enemy three (3) times since trying to post some encouraging thoughts in response to your post so I better try to get this posted now and ask questions later.

Out.

__________________________________________________ __
FIGHTERS - AVIATION'S ULTIMATE CALL TO GLORY, HONOR, AND IMMORTALITY - Please see immortality promoting Blog - Rom. 2.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:17 PM
mad web tv scientist

FINAL FINE TUNED SE5

In variable 10 MPH winds this dandy flying machine demonstrated why it is going to be doing a lot of flying. The 12X3.8 SF APC prop with a 4.25 ounce 28C 1400mAh 3 cell battery provides great vertical performance and very realistic scale like level flight performance. A fresh battery provides 280 Watts with 28 amps. I found that holding the plane aft of the wings while facing the bottom of the plane works well to experience the greater than one to one thrust to weight ratio. Some of my stock batteries are over the hill but are still useful.
The little batteries allow 5 minutes flying time and also allows the discharged batteries to be between 11.1 - 11.5 volts storage charge.

My 10 foot by 1.5 foot "carpet runway" worked great on "leftover space" at a park today where the grass/weeds were too high for normal ROG operations.
The ship easily took off before the end of the runway when shoving the throttle smoothly to maximum power. Landing speed was so slow that it almost matched wind speed. This tough little bird does not mind ending up on its nose, I have proof.

Out.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:01 AM
Jaybird

I bought the PNP version last Friday, assembled it late Sunday night and maidened it this afternoon at lunch! The grass was very high and wet at the local soccer field so it took a few tries and a search for a bare spot to get a good run, but as soon as it was ready it jumped into the air and flew very well. I had added a bit more up elevator travel to try and help the ground handling which helped. It flew great at less than half throttle and is very responsive. It gets pushed around a little in turbulent air but so does any WWI bird. I'm running 3-cell 2100 mah batteries which drop right in and don't affect the balance. It's surprisingly hefty for a bunch of foam without the battery...it must all be in the electroncs in the nose. It is a tough little bird as mentioned above and took several nose-overs without complaining.

The only hard part with the assembly was mounting the stabilzer/rudder mount and getting the screws down into the plastic mount and then getting them to seat into the plastic posts in the fuselage. It took some firm but careful handling to get it all the way on. This is my first Parkzone model and I find it interesting that there are no instructions for centering the elevator and rudder surfaces and no hints for adjusting the trims in flight in case the plane wants to turn or dive. I've been modeling for years so it wasn't a problem for me, but I could imagine someone buying this as their very first plane and getting into trouble as soon as they pushed the trottle if the control surfaces were out of position.

I'm thinking of using glue to attach the vertical stabilizer rather than the tape since it's such a nice looking paint job. Anyone recommend a glue that would be flexible for this application?

This should be fun!

Jaybird
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64725.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1649096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79881.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	1649097  
Old 08-15-2011, 02:27 PM
wattman

The SE5a is my favorite WW1 biplane , and for me , Parkzone has knocked the ball out of the park .
Its flys so great and lands so fine , I am a really happy owner and flyer . Its a perfect birthday gift for this 67 year old kid .
I cannot say enough good about this SE5a biplane .

Old 08-15-2011, 06:10 PM
Jaybird

Wattman,

I see you've added a white band at the tail, very nice. What type of paint did you use? I haven't worked with this Z-foam so I'm still learning about it. I've been looking through my Squadron/Signal publications "S.E.5a in Action" book looking for some simple color/markings that might help make mine distinct from the others I'm sure to run into. I wish that they (Parkzone) would sell this type of aircraft WITHOUT the markings applied and let the modeler choose Oh well.

It's suppose to continue raining tomorrow so maybe I'll start adding some details like an ammunition drum for the Lewis gun. I think it would look great with some rigging adn flying wires.

Jaybird
Old 08-15-2011, 07:09 PM
wattman

I have always used Tamiya acrylic paint on my foam planes with no problems , for years .
The 18" white band was added to McCuddens Group in Sept 1917 .
And yes it would be great if the plane was available with no markings so we could do our own scheme and plane markings ourselves , but I do understand PKZ does have to produce one with markings .
Yes I still have to add a drum mag , which is going to be the Electrifly GPMA4014 the lewis gun for their Nieuport 11 ,
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYRZ4&P=7
the drum mag and gun is beautiful and very easy to just twist off gently , and install on my PKZ lewis gun , and I intend to add some streachy type flying wires , nothing to fixed in tightness , the plane flys way to good as is to risk changeing its flying abilitys at all .
I really like my PKZ SE5a a lot !

Here is the Nieuport drum mag an the PKZ SE5a

Old 08-16-2011, 06:52 AM
Jaybird

Thanks for the information on the paint. Looking through the Squadron boock there is a picture of McCudden's plane B48863 (G) with the white strip at the tail. Can't tell from the picture if the blue "barbell" is there or not. It's also a a modified series SE5a with short exhaust pipes and a four blade prop. From the book it looks like very few were exactly alike as there were constant refinements and modification in the field.

While visiting England a few years ago I went to the Shuttleworth Museum and their SE5 a was sitting out right in the front area when we arrived. It was thrilling. I didn't have digital camera at the time so I've scanned a few film photos.

Jaybird

Name:	Pn35236.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	1649411   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38647.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1649412  
Old 08-16-2011, 06:01 PM
Jaybird

The weather cleared at the last minute this evening so I scurried up to the local model field and got in three very nice flights as the sun went down. Wow, what a nice flying plane. Very manueverable and it looks great doing a slow, low level fly-by. The model field had much shorter grass so takeoffs and landings were much less traumatic (no nose-overs). I'm planning to take this to Rhinebeck with me in September. I'm sure there will be a flood of them there.

Jaybird

Name:	Bz79121.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	1649641  
Old 08-17-2011, 11:13 AM
mad web tv scientist

THANKS EVERYBODY! This flying machine is so much fun I am prepairing it to accompany my F4F for fighter sweeps across the entire occupied country! The regime will never know what hit it!

whattman, thank you for the info about the Lewis. I just ordered mine today. By the way, would you happen to know where some dandy WWI instrument panels and/or instruments are available for use on the SE5? I spent about a day creating somewhat convincing looking instruments, but it would be nice to be able to order already made ones in order to enjoy more flying time. I'm sorta hoping for a future Dr.1 with those beautiful big black curvaceous crosses on a red Baron finish.

My machine has the "gun site" opened up on both ends and the pilot adjusted to see through it with one eye while watching a hapless doomed enemy with the other one. "Spider Wire" is used for the working and neat looking rigging.

Since I am so bad about being "timed out" here I better sign off for now.

Please consider yourselves saluted on the front.

__________________________________________________ _
FIGHTERS, AVIATION'S ULTIMATE CALL TO GLORY, HONOR, AND IMMORTALITY - Please see immortality promoting Blog - Rom. 2.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:29 AM
Jaybird

A picture of your rigging would be good to see the effect. How did you attach the ends? I'd really like to add them to the tail as well to help stiffen that area up as well as a the look. I had a 1/6 scale Top Flite wood kit a long time ago and did all the rigging with clevises and made an instrument panel and cockpit detail. I have the Great Planes Lewis gun on order as well as a set of Williams Brothers 3-1/8" dia vintage wheels to try. They will be a little heavier but I don't think they will affect performance very much. They will hopefully allow better takeoffs from grass as they will be thinner in profile and about the same diameter. I drilled out the gun barrels on the Lewis gun on top and Vickers in front of the cockpit. I was thinking of drilling out the Aldis gun sight tube as well.

Took two more flights at lunchtime today in bright sunshine and light breezes...still a lot of fun! I'm thinking I might paint the radiotr grill white as some squadrons had that marking too. This will make it easier to identify during the mass launch at Rhinebeck along with some squadron leader banners on the struts. they won't be accurate markings, but without replacement roundels to relocate out on the wing panels, there isn't much one can do.

Jaybird
Old 08-17-2011, 01:05 PM
mad web tv scientist

Jaybird, Thank you for continuing to share your enthusiasm. I will try to get some pictures on my CALL TO GLORY web site later on tonight.

I used 19 gage wire to make small 1/8 inch or so diameter loops with about 1/2 inch long ends that are installed on the bottoms of the outboard wing struts facing the fuselage. The "finger twist pencil drill" with a drill bit about the same diameter as the 19 gage wire is used to drill through the strut and into the plastic areas next to the struts. CA glue and a little baking soda is used to glue the wire so the loop is as close to the wing as practical. Believe it or not those four little loops are all that is needed for a single strand of 24 lb test of FUSION SPIDERWIRE to be threaded around the entire wing, compliments of the useful wire strut fasteners on top and the for and aft areas of the wing and landing gear.

More on the next post. I've been on this one long enough to be timed out again.

Salute.
FIGHTERS - AVIATION'S ULTIMATE CALL TO GLORY, HONOR, AND IMMORTALITY - Please see immortallity promoting Blog - Rom. 2.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:38 PM
mad web tv scientist

Okay, in our continuing saga against enemies within as well as without, my maiden flights (I should have said "on my "maiden flight day") were flown with the flying wires tightened as much as practical by using a simple piece of copper wire to twist the SPIDERWIRE on both sides of the fuselage. No glue was used untill after the first flights. I then applied glue in stressed areas where it looked like it might be useful. Somehow I ended up with slightly tighter wires on one side than the other - not enough to make any difference in flight.

I cut the angled part of the landing gear struts, added about a 3/4 inch piece of wire rod encased inside of brass tubing to put the landing gear further forward. It is possible to return the gear to stock position by simply removing the internal extra length of wire and allowing the for and aft ends of the angled struts to come together. The brass tubes would have to remain to keep the strut wire ends connected. The further forward landing gear position required new holes in the plastic struts with wire wrap to hold them to the metal struts. This made a big difference on grass take off ROG action.

Salute.

FIGHTERS, AVIATION'S ULTIMATE CALL TO GLORY, HONOR, AND
IMMORTALITY - Please see immortality promoting Blog - Rom. 2.

Couldn't get to the picture work tonight. I will try again tomorrow, etc..
Old 08-18-2011, 04:59 PM
mad web tv scientist

[] Tried to get some good video in the beautiful flying weather that I missed out on today and couldn't believe the sorry quality video I ended up with. I will try again inside the house where I have been able to get some "useful quality" shots in the past. One thing did show up embarrassingly clearly. I need a lot more practice mixing paint. In the house the colors seem close enough, but outside in the bright sunlight it's a very different story.

I will stay at it until useful improvments can be accomplished.

Salute.

__________________________________________________ ___
Old 08-23-2011, 09:36 PM
mad web tv scientist

Jaybird, Just got back from a CAP and fighter sweep mission in Canada. Here are some recon photos of secret high tech weaponry - Click on next URL.

I tied the two ends of the "flying wires" at the top of the left front wing strut. The copper wire was twisted in the knot to tighten the Spider Wire mainly on the left side and wrapped around the strut to hold the tension. A small piece of about 20 gage copper wire is also used on the right side flying wires to twist in a noticable amount of tension.

CALL TO GLORY! (RAF S.E.5a pictures)
http://community-2.webtv.net/RICHARD...RY/page10.html

Out.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/foru...smode_1/tt.htm is a URL that brings up four and five star rated Ace Fighter threads that suggests their modeling advertising power.

ENJOY! "Aim High . . . Fly-Fight-Win!"

madwebtvscientist ____________________________________________ Modeling Promoting Bog: http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...g&memid=266748

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of a selfish esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:25 AM
Jaybird

My Great Planes Lewis gun came in today but the Williams Brothers 3-1/8" vintage wheels are on back order, darn.

I might get to fly late Saturday afternoon before hurricane Irene shows up but not sure. This evening I'm heading to the Great State Of Maine full scale airshow at the former Brunswick Naval Airstation. There's quite a line up of performers tonight and the Blue Angels will fly Saturday weather permitting.

Jaybird
Old 08-30-2011, 01:42 PM
mad web tv scientist

[sm=lol.gif] GET BACK TO THE FRONT!

It was a beautiful day yesterday and I was thoroughly enjoying my enchanting SE5 with four more peak charged batteries ready for flight. I thought it would be fun to try some touch and go landings, so near the end of the flight the ship was settling in nicely for what should have been a nice landing. Would you believe it? The left axle broke at the weld where a weak spot evidently developed during manufacturing. After repaires using CA glue, baking soda and carbon fiber tow material, the axle is now covered with a black soda straw. I saved over 1/2 ounce by not replacing the stock axle cover, and most importantly, precious flying and fighting time at the front. Just could not wait for factory authorized repaires.

Salute.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:03 PM
guapoman2000

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My buddy's (Gerry's) 2nd Maiden Flight of his Park Zone SE5a

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkGrYBeATls[/youtube]
Old 08-31-2011, 06:55 AM
Jaybird

Again, I think you only get one shot at a "maiden" flight...the next one is a regular but fun filled flight... ;>)

Jaybird
Old 08-31-2011, 08:47 AM
guapoman2000

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jaybird

Again, I think you only get one shot at a ''maiden'' flight...the next one is a regular but fun filled flight... ;>)

Jaybird
Hey Jaybird,

The very first "Maiden" flight was filled with nothing but taking high resolution Pictures.

The 2nd flight was still with unknowns as the owner / RC Flyer still does not have enough knowledge of the flight characteristics of the model so, pardon if I agree to disagree here with you....if Gerry want to call it his 2nd "Maiden" flight well......then, we are going to call it that!

Have a nice one!
Carlos[8D]
Old 08-31-2011, 08:50 AM
Jaybird

Got it!

It is great flying plane and a good looker.

Wishing continued success!

Jaybird

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.