Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

LiFE Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 06:44 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: LiFE Batteries

http://www.readyheli.com/HTC-X4-Hite...x_p_38017.html

Or if you want to deal with HK the Turnigy version has been showing up a lot now at our field and the guys really like it.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=11170
Old 08-17-2011, 06:51 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rmh

The FMA ''fuel guage'' is also not accurate - not even close
again it shows a number which never equals % of remaining power
Here is the rub:
depending on the rate at which you suck power from th e batts- the ''remaining power ''will change

stated differently if the outrush is extremely high, the cells change temp and measuring will not be accurate (kinda like that ENELOOP chart - it makes the ENELOOP look like a cheezy cell - -but the current is of course beyond design specs.)
I see over n over comments about 2.4 rx failing -when in most cases - the failure is simply a failure to provide voltage req'd under load
Selecting wrong battery is a classic screwup
classic evaluation is ''the battery was still almost full''
means nothing if the load is high enough.
The FMA Fuel Guage may not be Accurate, but it is very Repeatable. I have been using my FMA 10S chargers for several years, charging batteries for several Electric Aircraft. After a couple of test flights, on a new aircraft, I know how many minutes I can stay in the air and when I land, I always find that the Fuel Guage reports the same percentages. I try to stay above 15%. I can always look at the Individual Cell Voltages, as well, but the Fuel Guage has given me a Reliable, Quick look.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:20 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also use the FMA10 exclusively but never checked the repeatability of the guage
Old 08-17-2011, 08:15 AM
Jezmo

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

FWIW here is a discharge comparison between a Hyperion LiFePO4 pack and a pack made with the Sanyo Eneloop cells. 500 mA load.
I don't want to comment on the Eneloop cells as it would just start a big dustup, however I DO want to say that my CBAIII from West Mountain Radio pretty much mirrors your chart on the LiFe batteries. At higher discharge rates the line begins to slant more instead of being flat but at that low discharge rate it is not apparent to me. Not sure what Tim is talking about but from my point of view (Or maybe my CBAIII's) the Hyperion is showing you the real goods.

Also, for those interested the FMA Cellpro chargers can have the fuel gauge adjusted to more closely match you particular cells if you have the USB Interface and PC software.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:50 AM
rmh

Discharge rates are one of the prime causes of "my radio quit".
Without some type of watt measuring device, the drain on flight batteries is just a WAG.
I just ran some tests on a small electric motor I aquired - -not what I really wanted (a 1400kv Turnigy) but I thot I would see how it performed .
Compared to a 1100 kv - -same motor - BIG difference
Point being - one motor would not really depress battery very much on a 11x6 prop - the other would peg the amps over motor rating. The power pack also took a nose dive as the motor tried for all it could get.
At our altitude - I can use a 10x6 on this motor ( we are at 4350 ft elevation) but at sea level it would likely smoke it.
The LIFE type battery (not a genuine A123 )typically won't stand really high discharges
Also LiPos - unless they are larger , 30-40 c will also drop like a rock on these high power consumption motors -OR high consumption servos .
The ENELOOP were never intended to be used in apps where consumption is over a couple hundred MA and this means -as a rx pack - don't do it. I use em all over the house and in my tx's.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:38 AM
TimT2000
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: ozzieflyer

ORIGINAL: TimT2000

ORIGINAL: CustomPC

There are now several manufactures that make switches or devices with built-in mAh counters. These are semi useful for eyeballing the usage but the model has be on the ground to read it. The pilot needs to check the mAh used from the pack before he takes off and decide whether there is enough charge remaining for a safe flight.

Personally, i'm using a telemetry current sensor on my Multiplex radio. The sensor measures current and mAh used and stores the sum of the usage in it's memory between flights. I have a constant real-time readout of remaining capacity and an alarm when the pack reaches a preset usage. The receiver also monitors the voltage and triggers an alarm if the voltage drops.
Where, who, Please share! I need 14 of them. Switches that is, not devices. The one I knew about was discontinued for rework.

Tim

Check this out,
http://www.boomarc.com/products/162-...lliswitch.aspx

pretty cool. But i haven't tried one but have heard its good.
Perfect ! Thank You
Tim

Old 08-17-2011, 01:50 PM
Jezmo

I'm only using genuine A123's here Dick. As far as the "my radio quit" issue, I agree with you 100% sir. I also agree the Eneloops were never intended to be used in high current draw applications, however it can be done. I ran the 50cc Extra 260 in my avatar for over 3 years with 2 parallel 5 cell Eneloop packs. It has 5 Hitec HS-5985MG servos and 1 HS-5955TG on the rudder. That was with the Spektrum AR7000 that had the slow reboot or "Brownout" issue. Never had a single hiccup. According to my CBAIII the "Genuine Sanyo" Eneloops can pull over 8 amps without the cell voltage going below 1 volt per cell. (I'm not talking about cells that are significantly discharged) I haven't found another AA NiMH cell that can do that but the Sanyo A size NiMH cells come close. The Extra now runs on dual A123's and has been Huckin' for almost 5 years.

Also, just for note, there are MANY MANY MANY fake knockoff Eneloops out there. They are junk and are quite difficult to tell apart from the real deal. Package and all looks authentic. You've gotta look really close at the actual construction of the cells to spot em. There are numerous flashlight/battery forums out there where this issue is discussed.

Yeh Baby keep her low....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18545.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	1649999  
Old 08-17-2011, 02:11 PM
rmh

wow 8 amps -on how many cells?
I bought all my ENELOOPS at Costco -on their 12 cells n a charger for 29 buck deals
I use em in my DX8 tx's and every AA and AAA application in the house.
I still use 2300 A123 for flight packs and as the power pack on a 32 Eflite 3D setup (5 cells in series )- all up 3.75 lbs on an ERATIX it is a rocket
Ilike it better than LipO- instant recharge at the field 15-20 minutes cycles at 4 amps input.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:17 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

Measuring the charge put in after a few flights is not as accurate as a measured discharge because some of the charging current goes toward heating up the battery, but it does get you in the ballpark. Lithium based batteries do not benefit from being used up like NiCd's do, so flying to about 50% capacity and topping off is best.
so am i hurting my Li Ions not letting them get below 7.5?.... fresh off my 42% Products charger i get about 8.4 volts... Lion and Life have similar characteristics in that they hold their charge unlike nimh and nicads, based on what ive read i own no Life packs yetallthough a123 is what i will go for
Old 08-18-2011, 12:29 AM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

so am i hurting my Li Ions not letting them get below 7.5?.... fresh off my 42% Products charger i get about 8.4 volts... Lion and Life have similar characteristics in that they hold their charge unlike nimh and nicads, based on what ive read i own no Life packs yetallthough a123 is what i will go for
I've been flying with Li-Ion's for years, and often fly the packs down to 7.2 v.
At around abouts 7.0 v., they're nearly empty.

Li-ion's are nearly as good for maintaining a steady line voltage as LiFe/A123's.....almost.
Either are better than NiCD/NiMh's.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:45 AM
TimBle

ORIGINAL: Jezmo

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

FWIW here is a discharge comparison between a Hyperion LiFePO4 pack and a pack made with the Sanyo Eneloop cells. 500 mA load.
I don't want to comment on the Eneloop cells as it would just start a big dustup, however I DO want to say that my CBAIII from West Mountain Radio pretty much mirrors your chart on the LiFe batteries. At higher discharge rates the line begins to slant more instead of being flat but at that low discharge rate it is not apparent to me. Not sure what Tim is talking about but from my point of view (Or maybe my CBAIII's) the Hyperion is showing you the real goods.

Also, for those interested the FMA Cellpro chargers can have the fuel gauge adjusted to more closely match you particular cells if you have the USB Interface and PC software.

Ifully agree, the Hyperion EOS is indeed doing what required of it.
My coment was based on a situation where the graph would be used to illustrate how difficult ti is to measure used capacity of a LiFePO4 battery and packs. In reality the line is never perfectly flat, there is always a slope which makes the capacity discharge measurable.

Ionly noticed later that the graph was taken under a constant load. In this sitaution yes the discharge curve could very well be absolutely flat for around 75% of max capacity but the Hyperion EOSdoes not measure the remaining capacity under load AFAIK. It merely read the voltage to 0.001 V and interpolates. the fact that is conservative is already an inbuilt safety margin. It is basically saying that when you hit 0% capacity that its time to recharge and this is typically around 6.2V for a 2cell pack. It's telling you to recharge before you hit the drop off point of the curve.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:43 AM
Silent-AV8R

I have not seen the spec that the Hyperion meter reads voltage to 0.001 volts. It only displays to 0.01 volts. BTW - it is not the meter I used for my discharge curves.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:57 AM
rmh

ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

I've been flying with Li-Ion's for years, and often fly the packs down to 7.2 v.

Li-ion's are nearly as good for maintaining a steady line voltage as LiFe/A123's.....almost.
LiIons work well except under heavy loads they are not as good
The problems I have seen is where a linear reg and LiIon is used - then really power hungry servos are added
The regs heatup and the system then delivers very low output till it cools .
I detest regs -won't use em unless forced to at gun point.
The new Switching types are far better but still just one more failure point
using A123 directly into rx is -(my opinion) as good as it gets - till something better comes along
(Dilithium crystals?)
beam me up!
Old 08-18-2011, 08:49 AM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

LiIons work well except under heavy loads they are not as good
The problems I have seen is where a linear reg and LiIon is used - then really power hungry servos are added
The regs heatup and the system then delivers very low output till it cools .
I detest regs -won't use em unless forced to at gun point.
The new Switching types are far better but still just one more failure point
using A123 directly into rx is -(my opinion) as good as it gets - till something better comes along
(Dilithium crystals?)
beam me up!
If you have servos that are not 6v compatible, you have to use a reg. My JR 791 Retract servos need 5v and there are no other comparable Retract servos.

I have been using LiPo Rx packs, for years, with Regs. Never an issue.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:22 AM
Pilot232
My Feedback: (3)

Look at the Spektrum A7000. Comparable to the JR791 and adjustable end points and speed.

Warm Regards,

Travis
Old 08-18-2011, 12:26 PM
TimBle

the Hyperion measures to 0.001V.Connect the battery and click on "cell". It will display individual cell voltage to 0.001V.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Jezmo

wow 8 amps -on how many cells?
I bought all my ENELOOPS at Costco -on their 12 cells n a charger for 29 buck deals
I use em in my DX8 tx's and every AA and AAA application in the house.
I still use 2300 A123 for flight packs and as the power pack on a 32 Eflite 3D setup (5 cells in series )- all up 3.75 lbs on an ERATIX it is a rocket
Ilike it better than LipO- instant recharge at the field 15-20 minutes cycles at 4 amps input.
The last ones I bought I paid 14 bucks for 4 cells in a blister pack. I have some low self discharge NiMH cells from another manufacturer and they are great in that respect but they won't hold up under the higher discharge rates. The pack tested at 8 amps was 5 cells hand built using short heavy leads for the test so very little current was lost. Eneloops are in my DX8 as well and the battery cover has been modified with an Ernst charge receptacle so I can charge with my good charger instead of the internal. I'm sorry Spektrum, the internal charger is junk for charging NiMH batteries. A123 flight packs until something better is invented, no regs for me either.

Sorry the pics a little blurred but the Ernst Receptacle can be seen.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37400.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1650318  
Old 08-18-2011, 02:24 PM
rmh

slick - I just charge for a few hours -and make sure to not leave em on overnite.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:49 PM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: Pilot232

Look at the Spektrum A7000. Comparable to the JR791 and adjustable end points and speed.

Warm Regards,

Travis
Thanks! I will check it out. How can End Points be set for Retract servos? They are not Proportional.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:01 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: TimBle

the Hyperion measures to 0.001V.Connect the battery and click on ''cell''. It will display individual cell voltage to 0.001V.

Got it. I was speaking to the total pack voltage displayed when you connect it. Regardless, it still indicates a much lower remaining capacity than I replace when charging. Usually by about 15% or more. It will indicate that I used 70% of the pack and when I recharge I find I only "replaced" 55% or 60%. That is for both LiFePO4 packs and Lipo.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:08 PM
TimBle

Thats correct. ACcording to the distributor theres a built in error to account for the drop off end of the curve. It only measures the capacity before drop off.
Also its conservative in your favour. Thats a good thing

Also when you connect a fully charged Lithium battery it never shows 99% capacity like with a Nickel battery. Again I've been told the Lithium batteries need to be loaded to show fully capacity. Not sure how much truth there is in that but it does indicate that the checker is loading the lithium battery pack.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:21 AM
pilotpete2

This new Spektrum retract servo is proportional, and has gobs of torque, probably due to a higher than normal gear ratio.
Very interesting[8D]
Pete
Old 08-19-2011, 08:14 AM
rmh

The new porportional retract servo is really slick-especially using the DX8 speed adjust
As a caution- many retracts rely on the speed of the gear leg (an inertial thing) to make it from point A to B and lock properly
so i possible - adjust any helper springs to make for a low energy from lock to lock.

Years back-we rolled to inverted on take off , to allow the crummy Goldberg gear to easily lock these could be fussy in getting UP lock..
that was 35 years ago - later designs with rolling blocks are better but some are still balanced poorly.
Especially on scale stuf with heavy legs n tires n doors etc..
Old 12-06-2013, 07:30 AM
jak_kkaall

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Refering to an 2S 6,6v LiFe 2100mA accu. Selected LiFe balance for 2S and 1A current but the charger didn't raise it above 03A and it took about 4 hrs to put 1200mA in it until I got bored and turned it off. Tried to select again, this time 2A, same thing...charging current won't raise above 03A. And from start to finish the pack voltage staid at 7,2v on the chg display and the cells went from 3,33 to 3,38v/cell. Same with the other pack. Why ? Before charging I start tuning the 50cc engine on the ground, and burned about one tank. During this running on the ground it took 1200+mA from the pack?! Thank you.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:58 AM
hookedonrc

I have been reading this thread with a lot of interest because I am going to convert to A123's on all my planes moving forward. I keep hearing the charge time at about 15 minutes and to me there is a simple solution. Maybe not the best, but workable. Usually I don't fly within 15 minutes after I land anyway. I like to watch others fly and to BS with the other pilots. So, although somewhat of a pain, recharging after 1 or 2 flights seems very doable. If the graph is accurate, you have almost 3 hours of flight time on the Hyperion's before you gotta do something. If I am flying gassers, that is more time than I usually spend in the air when flying all day.

Of course, electrics are a completely different story. But I recharge them every time anyway....it's just the flight time I would need to watch.