Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Burning up motors! What gives?

Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Burning up motors! What gives?

Old 08-20-2011, 07:52 PM
James c harrell
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning up motors! What gives?

I have a Tower Pro Mag-8 18 amp ESC and put a 2409-12 motor on it. The motor burnt up after a few seconds. I figured bad motor. Replaced it and same thing again! Could the ESC be doing this? The specs on the motor says it should be able to handle more than the ESC will put out. 25 I think was the motor capacity and the ESC only supposed to put out 18. I was useing a 1100 Mah 3S lipo and had the thing set right. Any suggestions?
Old 08-20-2011, 09:06 PM
jdetray

Default RE: Burning up motors! What gives?

It's not the ESC. An ESC does not "put out" current. It does not work that way. You could use a 100A ESC with a 25A motor, and as long as the prop is the correct size, all will be well.

You are probably using a prop that is too large for the motor.

The current that a motor draws has nothing to do with the rating of the ESC and everything to do with the size of the prop and the battery voltage.

A motor draws current from the battery through the ESC. The bigger the prop, the more current the motor will draw. If the motor draws more current than one of the components can handle, that component is going to fail. It might be the motor, the ESC, or even the battery.

You should check to see that you are running a prop that is recommended for that motor. Better yet, buy or borrow a wattmeter so you can check the current and learn what is really happening with your setup.

Good luck,
Jeff
Old 08-21-2011, 04:37 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its not what gives, its what you do not have ... you need a Watt Meter ... get one ... you then know what is happening.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:23 AM
road_rascal

What size prop and battery are you using? That motor can handle 24A and your using an 18A ESC. I wouldn't go any less than a 30A depending on your setup.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:58 AM
James c harrell
My Feedback: (18)

I went back and looked at the set-up. I had "ASSUMED" it was the same as I had ordered as a set. I put this plane together for my son who is a 3D nut,no offense. I found out he had changed the ESC and prop. The prop was a 12-4 off another 3D plane he had and was put up there for "prop hang". Just a little too big I think. The right ESC was long since burnt up. He , and I guess me too, didn't realize the complications of mixing your componets. I tend to order my electric set-ups in a package and didn't think of them being mixed when I assembled them. Live and learn. By the way. What set-up would be the recommended for a Dualsky Challenger, A small bipe made of flat stryo and carbon leading edges and cross braces? I will see if I can find a link of the plane. The thing has been diss-continued and is not listed on 2 Dog RC web-site any-more. I found it on here in the reviews

http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_guide/kitCompare.cfm