Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

welding batteries

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 07:58 PM
neyou86
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default welding batteries

hi i know welding batteries is not very effecient but i cant get solder to stick. how do you weld it? what do you use a wire feed or mig or tig? what should the settings be?
Old 04-06-2010, 08:09 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Default RE: welding batteries

Spot welding is used. I built a welder loosely based on the design off this site: http://www.philpem.me.uk/elec/welder/

Bliksem

Old 04-06-2010, 10:25 PM
huck1199

You can solder with aluminum flux and 91/9 solder.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:57 AM
neyou86

where do you get that?
Old 04-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Franco2fly

Need to get a good electrical connection on a LiPo pack  get the Aluminum flux from here

http://www.ccis.com/home/hn/

Harold at H&N worked with me to get the correct flux and solder.  Just be careful about isolating the battery from the tab.
I use a pair of hemostats clamped behind the tap to absorb heat, and just hit the very end of the tab with a big iron to transfer heat quickly.

KKKKFL

Old 04-08-2010, 06:56 AM
neyou86

i just picked up a couple of orion 3300 for 15 shipped. they are used but still work great. what should i do when i get them? charge them at one amp or do a trickle charge?
Old 04-08-2010, 07:05 AM
Franco2fly

Don't suppose they have a  balance lead on them?  If I got hold of them, I would solder the balance lead on each tab..  its not difficult, and then the Triton charger does the rest.

KKKKFL
Old 04-08-2010, 07:09 AM
neyou86

no they are nimh. its a stick pack i believe. what kinda charge should i do?
Old 03-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Mooney_driver

ORIGINAL: blikseme300

Spot welding is used. I built a welder loosely based on the design off this site: http://www.philpem.me.uk/elec/welder/
I am trying to come up with parts to buid a spot welder. The one you mention seems the best but Ihave run into 2 other sites that just use a bare transformer and a switch. Ihave a problem with that but not really sure what Ineed.

On RCGroups one poster (no longer alive)posted last September that a 6 volt 4 amp transormer would do it. This one I really question but can not ask the guy if he has ever tried it.

Where did you come up with the big electrolytiics? Did you use the .5F that he used or did you find a audio capcitor at 1F, 1.5F, 2F, or 3F like a couple of sites refer to?

Did you find an old microwave oven and rob the transformer or did you have another transformer around that you used instead? What did you use for the SCR?

Thank you.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:36 AM
Franco2fly

If you're looking to hook up LiPo's together along with the balance leads, forget the spot welder approach.  Just go to H&N's web site and get the aluminum flux and solder.  I've built several packs now, and its fast and easy, as mentioned above isolate the battery, and use a hefty size soldering iron.

KKKKFL
Old 08-21-2011, 05:54 PM
pjacq
My Feedback: (72)

I built the transformer typ for spot welding tabs on my battery's and for welding some stainless turbine pipes.It works good but I have found A better welder design you should check it out.. Paul

http://frikkieg.blogspot.com/
Old 08-26-2011, 11:41 AM
richrd

ORIGINAL: Mooney_driver

ORIGINAL: blikseme300

I am trying to come up with parts to buid a spot welder. The one you mention seems the best but I have run into 2 other sites that just use a bare transformer and a switch. I have a problem with that but not really sure what I need.

On RCGroups one poster (no longer alive) posted last September that a 6 volt 4 amp transormer would do it. This one I really question but can not ask the guy if he has ever tried it.

Where did you come up with the big electrolytiics? Did you use the .5F that he used or did you find a audio capcitor at 1F, 1.5F, 2F, or 3F like a couple of sites refer to?

Did you find an old microwave oven and rob the transformer or did you have another transformer around that you used instead? What did you use for the SCR?

Thank you.

I built one with 6 - 47000Uf in parallel app. 0.5F
charge to about 27 to 30V a fire an SCR rated at 1500 amp peak.
spot welds great when i have even pressure on my copper tips on all NiXX
if not even it'll bolw a hole in tab not battery built lots of projects this way an no melted seals.

BTW not a fan of using transformers for this.
Rich
Old 08-26-2011, 07:05 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

If you're joining Nimh's you can use standard electrical solder and some copper wire as connectors. There are numerous youtube videos showing how to do it.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:46 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
It's real easy to solder NiMH/Nicads cells together be it with or without soldering tabs. First Ca glue the cells together.
The secret is to first sand the surface you want to solder and then put on some solder...then...solder on the cable/lead!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38595.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	1653987   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93802.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	1653988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88846.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	1653989  
Old 08-27-2011, 12:34 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is how I did it. Just make sure the surface has been well sanded and cleaned. Put some flux on the surface and tin it. Then solder the tab/wire/connector on.

The approach is as good as spot welding.

Btw, use thick/wide tabs as suitable for the discharging current.