Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Losi TLR 22 Buggy (Pics)

Old 08-21-2011, 04:14 AM
Lilredmachine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Losi TLR 22 Buggy (Pics)

These are extremely nice looking buggies. Despite the couple of quality control issues you ran into, the kit is vey high end by the looks of it. I too agree with buying the best quality kit for bashing, if it's made for racing then it's likely to stand up to 'youthful' exuberance.

The body and paint on yours looks very nice indeed.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:22 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My LHS, which has never had a Losi in it ever in the past to my knowledge (Xray and HPI dealer) has a sealed 22 box sitting in front of the counter. Might ask them how much they want for it. Does look good.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:00 AM
BigTb17

ORIGINAL: Lilredmachine

These are extremely nice looking buggies. Despite the couple of quality control issues you ran into, the kit is vey high end by the looks of it. I too agree with buying the best quality kit for bashing, if it's made for racing then it's likely to stand up to 'youthful' exuberance.

The body and paint on yours looks very nice indeed.
Thanks. Yeah, the minor issues were a bit of an annoyance, but Horizon took care of it quickly, and everything else seems great. I haven't gotten to drive it much, been busy lately.

I'm typically easier on my stuff than some of what I've seen when "bashing". But still, this does look like it should hold up well to the occasional oops.

So far I've noticed a couple things. First, the shocks are fairly stiff, which is great for handling on relatively smooth terrain, and provides great dampening on landings from jumps. However, they could be a bit softer over rough terrain. Overall though, it does feel incredibly well planted the majority of the time. Also, with the gearing and ESC settings I have the motor and ESC barely get warm. Might have to go up a couple teeth or increase the timing/boost settings.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:06 AM
BigTb17

ORIGINAL: Foxy

My LHS, which has never had a Losi in it ever in the past to my knowledge (Xray and HPI dealer) has a sealed 22 box sitting in front of the counter. Might ask them how much they want for it. Does look good.
My LHS has lots of Losi stuff, but just the RTR stuff. In general they don't stock many kits, and they don't yet carry any replacement parts for the 22. When I saw that they actually had a 22 I couldn't pass it up.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:37 PM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: cul8tr

Well I bought a used 1. I didn't like the 8.5 novak. So I put in a Castle 9000kv with a Mamba Max with mid motor set up. Now this is what I'm talking about. I need to get the gearing set, she gets a little warm at the esc. I can't wait to get to the track. The only thing that I noticed is dirt and dust will get in and around the front hinge pins. Thanks
You'll be putting that Novak 8.5 back in it soon.
Yes he will. That mamba is just too much for a 2wd buggy. Heck I dont even think you need a 9000kv for onroad.
7000kv is probably about as high as Id go in anything. 8.5 is plenty of power for 2wd. That's what I plan on putting in my B4.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:26 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Wait for the Durango. ThunderbirdJunkie's B4.1FT just went bye-bye in anticipation of the DEX210.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:08 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like what I hear about the performance of durango, but not the issues. Is it expected to have a mid mounted motor option?
Old 08-21-2011, 11:17 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Yep. The TLR 22 has, coincidentally, all of the features that the Durango was touted as planned to have in early 2010.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:07 AM
cul8tr
My Feedback: (4)

Well I ran the 22. The buggy is really nice. But the Mamba Max got a little warm. It's really fast almost to fast. I need to get some bearings for the 8.5 Novak. So I can put it back in the buggy. You know I just had to try it. LOL!!!!! I might try a Viper RC system in it. Have any of you guys tried any Viper products? Thanks

Oh yeah the Calibers don't last very long with the 9000kv motor.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:06 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

A buddy of ThunderbirdJunkie's is running a Viper VTX10R and thinks it's awesome. It seems pretty solid...more expensive than Tekin though...
Old 08-22-2011, 01:23 PM
cul8tr

The expense of the Viper set up is what's stopping me from getting it. $230 for the combo is a bit tough.
I decided to put a 4600kv Castle motor in the 22. So far I like it, at least I can use all the power of the 4600. 20t pinion and a76t spur it's a little warm. I'm going to trya 16tor a 18t pinion.
I put the 8.5 novak in 1 of my Slash trucks.
A local guy has got a good deal on a 22, so I may end up with another 1.
I'm using Gens Ace lipo batteries. I can get 3 of their saddle packs for the price of the Losi Shorty.
Thanks
Old 08-22-2011, 01:56 PM
BigTb17

ORIGINAL: cul8tr

The expense of the Viper set up is what's stopping me from getting it. $230 for the combo is a bit tough.
I decided to put a 4600kv Castle motor in the 22. So far I like it, at least I can use all the power of the 4600. 20t pinion and a 76t spur it's a little warm. I'm going to try a 16t or a 18t pinion.
I put the 8.5 novak in 1 of my Slash trucks.
A local guy has got a good deal on a 22, so I may end up with another 1.
I'm using Gens Ace lipo batteries. I can get 3 of their saddle packs for the price of the Losi Shorty.
Thanks
I paid more than that for my RS Pro combo, but I paid for convenience (bought local so I didn't have to order it). Might not be a deal breaker, but the RS and RS Pro have lower on-resistance than the VTX10 and VTX10R respectively according to each manufacturer's site specs. The VTX10/R does seem to have a more powerful BEC (possibly a switch mode), which should be a benefit.

One reason I went with the RS Pro vs the standard RS in the 22 is because of the low slung, form fitting body it has. I figured it's going to basically trap all the heat in and prevent the ESC from getting any decent airflow. Not to mention the fact that it's mounted directly above the motor in mid-motor configuration. I figured I wanted the ESC to run as cool as possible, without any heatsink or fan (which the RS Pro has neither). I figured the RS Pro may run a bit cooler than the RS since it has half the resistance.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:19 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

The Viper ESC also has a pretty neat BEC with variable voltage.

The RS Pro constantly shocks ThunderbirdJunkie with how cool it runs. And the sensor checker and internal temp thing are also really sweet features to have.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:14 PM
cul8tr

Any of you guys going to get the 22T?