Extreme Flight Vanquish 2m Build Thread

Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Extreme Flight Vanquish 2m Build Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 03:40 AM
David Leitch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight Vanquish 2m Build Thread

Since the exchange rate for A$/US$ is very good right now, best in 30 years, and since I have long mostly positive experience with Steve Neu's motors and since F3Aunlimited was selling a package complete with the Hyde soft mount, I went with that setup.

Won't get built for a little while but i will try and post a couple of photos of the Neu installation when it happens. Having said that my building skills are atrocious so it will probably be a what not to do photo.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:17 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Hi Arch,
Would you mind making a little flight comparison between the Vanquish and the Wind? Curious if one feels more 'locked in' than the other, mostly during straight line segments.

Thanks,
Old 07-31-2011, 04:00 PM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe,

I will say this and if Dave Lockhart is watching, he will agree with me. The Vanquish is a VERY good airplane. It does everything well for any AMA class. For top level Masters or FAI, I would probably want just a hair more power, but I plan on playing with some props to see if I can get some more out of it. I personally love my Winds as I have a Neu motor in the front. The Vanquish with a little more power in it would be a plane I would happily fly in the Masters finals without hesitation. Honestly, for AMA, I think the Vanquish does some things better as its easy to maintain a constant speed. The Wind will do it, but it requires some more throttle management. No one could get a Vanquish and blame their flying on the plane. It is more than competitive and better than many more expensive planes out there, especially for AMA classes. Too many times people flying the lower classes ask how a plane flies relative to the F pattern in FAI. The Vanquish is a top level plane. There are some things that if someone was flying FAI, they might like a little more rudder, but having a little softer rudder is a benefit in AMA classes.

Arch
Old 07-31-2011, 04:13 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

And even i have to admit the Vanquish flies pretty well even with the batteries out of it and the canopy gone.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:53 AM
doogiehl

Hi David,
I am about to start assembling 2m Vanquish I purchased from DA Australia. I am just waiting on some Jr servos for the stabs as it is very hard to get access to cut drill fit anything deep in the tailpane halves other than the recommended servos for which its is set up(pre drilled). I am using equivalentlater modelSpektrum digitalservos for the other surfaces.

I noticed your from Lindfield, do you fly at SRCS? May be could meet up some time with the Vanquish's.

I have gone for rear mounted motor AXI 5330F3A and Jeti optospin99, from Electricwingman in UK( gets the goods here to OZ quicker than interstate parcels and verycompetitive postage cost), Thunderpower 10s 5000mah 65c battery and powerbox sensor switch system and 2 thunder power 7.4v lightweight lipos to power the Rx and servos.

The Axifits perfectly rear hard mounted directly to firewall, with perfect spinner clearance. Axi give a stick ontemplate to drill out. only hassel is drilling out the hole for the collar that is a safety feature to hold the shaft in case the spring washer clip gives way. I was told that I could leave this off at my risk but the shaft and prop may depart forward from the motorone day so Ill have to do some dremeling.

Also if you have the pink blue white colour scheme I just got Bad Brad Graphics to do avinyl graphicsscheme for me with different nicer font lettering. He should have the scheme somewhere on his site it your interested. I had to take photos for him and measure up theplane,he has program that scales everything to make stickers intothe correct proportions.I mentioned that this may be a popular ARF so he has put in some of the hard work. Will post some photos when I progress further in assembly, The stickers transform the paint scheme. I am also going to mist the canopy metalic silver or goldover the black with an airbrush.( Black canopies use to distort in the Aussie sun...some early Peter Goldsmith polyester fuses suffered tht fate)

One question for the guys. Has anyone put on the wheel pants on this kit the way they have instructed. They areliterally held on in "mid air" by a single wood screw.( not clamped by the axel attachment screw.) the pants have a large cut out that is supose to fit on the metal flange like part of the axel( problem was my cut out was too big and the wrong shape. Had to put epoxy to reduced the size of cut out then file so it matched the shape of the top of theflange. Still looks like if the field grass gets long it will rip off. any input and experiences. The EF guys reckon this system worksok.

Regards Hanns
Old 08-03-2011, 03:01 PM
David Leitch

Hi Hanns.

I will contact you off line about flying. I fly a few different fields but mainly out at Blacktown as its big enough for F5B. It will likely take me a while to get to the Vanquish. However I will be really keen to get the benefit of your experience with the plane. I've never flown at SRCS, so it would be fun to go to a new field. My motor is on the way but yet to get an ESC or servos.

I have no background in pattern so its all going to be a bit "hit and giggle". Do like trying to fly a round loop though.

Regarding the wheel pants, it looks the same attachment as the 78" Extra which I have. Eventually I took the wheel pants off as on the grass fields they seemed more trouble than they were worth, particularly when you run out of battery in a hover. However the attachment method worked fine.

cheers
DAve
Old 08-03-2011, 05:49 PM
doogiehl

Hi Dave ,
What a coincidence. the project I am finishing today is my first F5B(may be maidening at a friends turf farm this weekend), no experience here,but have beeninto pattern may years but all IC engine, even did some official penciling for the Singapore Judge in 1999Pensicola World champs, learnt heaps at judges school there. Better stick to the topic though.

I ll be starting the Vanquish after I finish the Hawk today.

I have got some CF wheelpants from Precision Aerobatics (.46 scale suits this model)and have milled a narrow slot so I can clamp them in the axel as well as use the attachment screw. This should be more durable on grass fields. The EF pants would be fine on tar strips though. If your attempting to invest in this model I think one assumes one has learnt to land properly, everything is light weight and of adequate strength for the purpose.

The AXi should have more than enough power. going to try a Mezjlik 20x12Eand Xoar 19x12 electric prop. I am hard mounting the AXI direct to the fire wall. The electrics have virtually no vibration if one balances prop and spinner. Had no problems with the hardmounting directly in a Miss Wind S.

Question for anyone who can help.
I just got the TP 10S 5000mah batteries. I am a bit new to electrics the pack has a wire that plugs then together in series
2 5s packs I guess...charge plugs label group A and B. Now I have to figure out how to charge then using the SYNC function on the Hyperion EOS316i Duo3 charger( chargers up to 6s it says but can charge more in SYNCmode) . The instrcutions are very sketchy in the manual not being specific to batteries. Do I need to disconnect the wire linking the 2 halves when charging? Does any one use this charger? I suppose I plug the 5s plugs into eachone one of the dual portsof the charger.

I also have a 8s lipo pack TP 5000mah 8s pp65 pack..... The charger has4s, 5s, 2-3s and 6s plug but this incooperates the 2-3s plug in series with another 4s plug i guess, its not labelled just bracketted off as 6s with the 2-3s plug.
The battery has a small plug which fits the 2-3s plug in the charger and the other fits the 5splug but I dont think this is wired inseries with the 2-3s plug. Do I need to plug one side of the charger with the 5splug and the other side of the duo charger with the 2-3s plug and use the sync function? Do I need to unplug the wireconnecting the 2halves of the battery when charging.......the battery instructionssay than this wire is left unplugged when transporting battery in themail? Sorry for the question but my knowledge of electronics isless than1st yr highschool level. Sorry about beingoff topic but could someone redirect me if it cant be answered on this forum thread. Thanks

regards Hanns
Old 08-03-2011, 07:10 PM
doogiehl

Hi Dave.
For ESC use one with out BEC and operated the RX and servos with a separate on board battery. If you esc burns you can still deadstickland.
I use the Powerbox sensor switch. Dual electronic switch with 2 7.4 light weight lipos. If the one battery fails there is back up. If one part of switch fails the other is on. If both switches fail the unit electronically remains on. If electronics fail, well you must be cursed.
Id only use an all in one esc on parkfliers or in f5b where you have fuse spacelimitation.
Precision Aerobatics has a emcotec version if you contact or pop in and see them in Arcadia. A good quality JR switch I suppose would do but its the weak spot of the system. Replace when you think its wearing.

Servos.......... try to use what they recommend as on the the servo bays everything is predrilled and cut. I used the Spektrum A6010 for ailerons and A6020 for rudder. These fit and were locally available in Aus, Wired rc or Modelflight or if you want local try Dave at Model Sports fairlymeadow. I had trouble sourcing the recommended servos as these may be getting out of date. I did dare order the new versions for the elevators as the servo mounts are deep in the elevator, predrilled and cut and relatively inaccessible without major effort. I ended up ordering from the US.
May have to ask others what they used as substitutes but its hard to find a small digital servo with the sames torque and speed spec that will fit precisely in the bay.

You will love flying these planes. Everything else will seem to lack precision. It will definitely improve your flying if you starttrying to fly the sequences.
Regards Hanns
Old 08-14-2011, 03:50 AM
jayjayneri

Any news on whether this plane is now in stock in the USA? Or is there any other place elsewhere that have these in stock? Thanks.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:38 AM
doogiehl

Hi JayJay ,
Desert Aircraft Australia had limited stocks. Not sure if they still have but on last check didnt say they were out of stock on the website.
Regards Hanns
Old 08-14-2011, 11:21 AM
hezik

ORIGINAL: doogiehl
You will love flying these planes. Everything else will seem to lack precision. It will definitely improve your flying if you starttrying to fly the sequences.
Regards Hanns
Don't underestimate this.. the one big disadvantage of a a good flying F3A bird.. once you flew that, everything else seems to fly like crap :P
Old 08-15-2011, 12:44 AM
jayjayneri

ORIGINAL: doogiehl

Hi JayJay ,
Desert Aircraft Australia had limited stocks. Not sure if they still have but on last check didnt say they were out of stock on the website.
Regards Hanns
Emailed Steve at Desert Aircraft. He told me shipping to me would cost more than the price of the kit. Not cost effective to me. Have the kits arrived in the USA?
Old 08-15-2011, 05:20 AM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

I called them last week and they gave the same pat answer they've been giving all summer, 6 more weeks.

Tim
Old 08-15-2011, 07:51 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

The last info I had was going to be late August at the earliest, but that has been a few weeks ago.

Arch
Old 08-15-2011, 09:07 AM
Hokie Flyer

Have faith.  Afterall, Duke Nukem Forever (promised for 1998) is finally in stores now!

Old 08-15-2011, 07:11 PM
jayjayneri

Hope there will be enough to fill all the orders when they finally do arrive.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:30 AM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

"Extreme Flight R/C Hope to see a large batch in about 6 to 7 weeks.. Selling for $650
August 11 at 7:21am"

From their Facebook page.

Tim
Old 08-18-2011, 09:08 AM
BR289
My Feedback: (106)

I HATE to sound redundant but soon from where I sit ;-)
Old 08-24-2011, 12:32 AM
Panzi

Has someone installed a Hacker q80 in a Vanquish. Did you had any modification to do so?
Panzi

Old 08-24-2011, 04:15 AM
H

Hi I fitted a C50 but had problems getting the CoG forward enough.
I have a Q80 but because of the diameter it is almost impossible to fit without some major surgery.
In the end I opted for an Axi which is so easy to fit and performs really well and is a very cost effective solution.
Adrian
Old 08-24-2011, 06:10 AM
Panzi

Thank you for reply. The axi solution is of a course a good one. Did you have AXI 5325-24 on 10s or the AXI 5325-20 F3A on 8s?
Panzi
Old 08-24-2011, 06:47 AM
H

Hi Panzi, I fitted the AXI 5325/24 using 10 cells and 20x13(ish) Xoar prop.
A
Old 08-25-2011, 12:16 PM
Panzi

@H Do you have any pictures of your model mounting the axi?
Panzi
Old 08-25-2011, 02:24 PM
doogiehl

Hi Panzi,
I have a AXI 5330 F3A mounted, just rear mount motor with 8 bolts directly on existing firewall, fits perfect with clearance for spinner. The only thing is you have to be precise with the drilling of the mounting bolts so as not to drill too close to the centre hole which the motor shaft protrudes through. Also may have to get a very thin8mm bushing to clear the firewall so that the safety collar can be attached behind the firewall.....just in case the circlip gives way and the shaft departs themotor. If you try to drill the centre hole to takethe clearance of the shaft collar youwill be into the engine mount bolt holes. I got Tru Turn to sell me 2 bushing for 8mm shaft cut to required length when I ordered their new spinner design with cooling holes.
Best way to setup is to use the squareply mountsuppliedwith the Torque motorholes that comes with the kit, stick your AXI mounting template sticker on it after centring the mount to get theright side and down thrust offset, drill this template, then bolt it on using the 4 bolts to the blind nuts which are built in the firewall by EF already, then drill through thetemplate to make the final mounting holes. You may want toput a thin layer of glass cloth (1/4 oz) and epoxy on the other side to stop the ply splintering as you drill through. Also hardens the firewall so the boltswont dig in the wood, as there is no room for washers as the AXI mounting bolts are arranged very close together.
I will try to take aa photo and post it, wife has camera at her work till week end.
Be very careful about the length of bolt you use if too long will shread your windings in the motor.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:30 AM
hezik

The Q60 does also fit just fine. I've seen it fly with it, and it did what it was supposed to do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.