Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Heli stuff and fellowship

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Heli stuff and fellowship

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 05:15 PM
one thumb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Heli stuff and fellowship

Hi Jim,

The following is the current settings on the DX6i Tx “your control”:

Ch 6 Collective Pitch; checked; 100%
Ch3 Cyclic Pitch; checked; 100%
Ch2 Cyclic Roll; checked; 100%
Ch4 Tail Rudder; checked; 100%

Then there are the headings that are “Unmapped”, but checked and 100% they are:

Keyboard 1 Throttle Hold; checked; 100%
Keyboard 3 Idle up; checked; 100%
Unmapped Gyro Mode; checked; 100%
Unmapped Throttle Governor; not checked
Unmapped Governor RPM Control; not checked

When I plug the Tx into Phoenix, the Phoenix heading appears, the image of a plank is there and under the plane it reads: DN06:00

With the chosen Heli the: Hiropo Sceado .50 – 3D sitting there, if I advance the throttle, the engine speeds up, the Heli sits without moving.

Anything with a fixed pitch fly’s normally any of the cyclic pitch Helis will mot lift off the ground and if you articulate the right stick, to the back the heli tilts back, to the left or right it rolls over an the blades explode.

Also note, I cannot find any INVERT boxes

Must say again, I’m really glad Norm stopped by because he pretty much had the same results.

Thanks for your time,
Karl
Old 08-25-2011, 05:40 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Mack..I'm in the process of writing it, I suspect it will get submitted Monday or so. Then it has to go through the RCU QA and get put in line to get published. Even if they have the article they often hold them for various reasons so that they have new content to release every week and so that two radio reviews don't come out back to back or two warbirds or whatever. There hasn't been a lot of heli stuff lately so I expect it to go through that process pretty quickly though. I've submitted Futaba 6J and Goldberg Sophisticated Lady articles that are still in queue so it all depends and that of course is out of my hands.

Events in the southeast are getting ready to start cranking up again now that the hot weather should be breaking soon.

Dalton GA for the Southern Scale Challenge Sep 15-18th.
Gainesville Heli fly in Sep 24th
Mac Hodges All Electric Event in Andersonville GA Oct 14-15th
Jacksonville Fall Heli Gathering Oct 21-23
Huckoween (3D giant scale planes) in Iron City Ga Oct 28-30
Tampa Bay Heli fly in Nov 11-12
Orlando Helicopter Blowout Dec 9-11th

If anyone wants to hang, let me know.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:04 AM
matty_p80

hello there matey peeps!

have a dilemma! yeah, what's new, it's matty right?

problem i have is having situated all the electronics in an agreeable position in the Apache and then discarding the 'cheap' AR6200 i got from STR hobby as it refused to remain bound on both the Rx and the satellite Rx; i then put in one of the 'cheap' AR6100e which seemed to be fine once i had figured all the mixes and reverses out! what is happening or not , is having set all the throttle and pitch curves up on the Tx first, it does nothing when i switch over to idle up/ stunt! i don't believe the fine gentleman was quite as thorough as i've been taught by our guru Jimbo to be and probably hadn't set the Sx horns perpendicular @ mid stick! i don't think this is the cause but it's not helping any! i might have to pull it out of the shell completely and go through the whole set up procedure, which is going to delay my fun time!!

having seen it flying on youtube, i believed (a little naiively) i was just going to be able to throw my radio gear into it and Bob's your mother's brother!!

the weather is conspiring to keep me grounded! it has gone from a 34°C day to threat of hale storms and us jamming all the aircraft from the flight line into the hangars! in a coupla hours we'd removed main blades from 7 birds!!

cool everyone else is getting it up (fnaar, fnaar, yak, yak!)

all help on the above matter is gratefully received

Matty
Old 08-26-2011, 11:19 AM
flyachopper1

Hello all,
Still smoking hot in Aridzona. Too hot to fly much and keeps us scuttling from one air conditioned place to another. The 600s are built now and ready for testing. That won't happen until we are in Oklahoma City. Today is our last day here and we are on the road again in the morning heading for Nebraska for a few days and then on to Okie country. It seems it is very hot in Oklahoma as well as humid. Nebraska looks to be more favorable for some flying. Hopefully we can get out to set up the 600s and play with the 500s too. Only two weeks in Okie City and we start for Baton Rouge again.

We will take possession of the 700s in Nebraska and carry them to OK with us. I hope to get some of the building done on them there. We have ordered a third 700 to be delivered to Donicas parents home and it will be our scale project once all the marathon building of the "herd" is done and we take bit of a break. We both need to fly some and rest our fingers from the building. It is nice to see the helis beginning to gather around us again though.

The talk here of the flybarless systems and some good guidance from JD as to where to find them has made us decide to convert the 600s to that soon and consider building the 700s flybarless from the start. Oh me!! It never ends. More parts, more turning of screws, more wires and components. I have enlarged the bald spot on the crown of my head lately with all the rubbing and scratching. We both love it all though and it has been some great quality time as partners. Cannot ask for more.

Done for now me friends. Donica sends a hearty "hidee doodles" and her affection.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:44 AM
dooleyje

Hey thumb,, I will look to see if there is some programing in your Trans mitter. You do have to set up your Curves there.. I will let you know the Invert should be the last box and is probably the ones Checked.. Try removing the check on Pitch..

Matty.. I would pull it out of the fuselage and get it set correctly and trimmed and then insert it back in the body... Much easier!!!

Donica and Jay... Yep it would probably be cool to get some flying and away from the bench.

Andy.. I guess the rain has hit there.. We may get some here... the wind has already picked up....Hurricans...[:'(]

Jim
Old 08-26-2011, 12:02 PM
one thumb

Hi Yimmie and all,

Unchecked = stick back, flips on nose.
recheck = stick back flips on tail, stick forward flips on nose.

So far sun here with pretty clouds.

Thumb
Old 08-26-2011, 12:50 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Its come and gone, the wing picked up, caught a few rain bands but except for the crazy surf, just another mediocre day here.

Breezy tomorrow, perfect on Sunday.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:42 PM
Normand Paquette

Hello, I am a newby to RC Electric helicopters, I bought a

ESKY BIG LAMA NEWS COPTER 2.4GHz 4CH RC Helicopter RTF

I wanted a stable co-ax to practice on for my wife's use as she wanted a helicopter..
I have a Phoenix RC simulator and cannot find a similar co-ax helicopter in its library and was wondering if someone knew of another site that has one that will work wit the Phoenix sim??

Thanks
Norm

Old 08-26-2011, 02:45 PM
dooleyje

Thumb all of the controls need to be checked. Look a little further right and make sure the collective pitch is mapped to Control channel 6...just like your transmitter. Make sure all other controls arer mapped to the correct transmitter channels. Have you upgraded the SIM toV3S. If so youi should see the same screence I am seeing... When you unchecked,,the controll went back ward so you are on the right path. Recalibrate your control under "My transmitter".

Mack hurry home and get that heli fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim
Old 08-26-2011, 02:49 PM
dooleyje

Normand wecolme to the thread.. Besure you downloaded ALL the models and upgrades for the Phoenix.. A CX2 should be close to what you have or any coaxle will work.

Jim
Old 08-27-2011, 05:11 AM
dooleyje

Morning everyone,,, We have a little wind so the Hurry-can stayed on the coast

I spent most of the last several days setting up the Microbeastx FBL system. They just releast V3 so I had to go through it again. The set up is easy but not as fast as the 3G. It will ask what kind of receiver you will be using, info about your servos, Tells you how to set your transmitter for the Beast...ala no trims or sub trims and so forth. You actually use the settings to center your servos, ajust max cyclic/colective. The tail sets up like anyother system.. The book has about 35 pages explaining the system before getting to the meat of it. The confusing part is after assining type of receiver because it goes through a lot of pages about mapping the channels. I used a standard receiver and the conclusion is that you do not map channels for it. The set up is step by step but really easy from that point. The manual is super.

More later,

Jim
Old 08-27-2011, 06:56 AM
matty_p80

Jimbo, any ideas on why there doesn't seem to be any idle-up?! there is no movement whatsoever from the servos when the sw. is operated!

Normand, welcome to our lil' clan!

Matty
Old 08-27-2011, 07:54 AM
killbucket

Me? Still playing with 3ch indoor Tiddle-Copters.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjW7GhvdZxs[/youtube]
This morning's Dawn Patrol Flight: Outdoor with an IR copter.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:25 PM
dooleyje

Hey Matty,,, go back to the basics,, Look at your pitch curves and swash set up to make sure you are actually getting plus pitch
you gotta put a guage on it to see what is happening.

Killbucket... I still fly them eveyday at the store.

Jim
Old 08-27-2011, 03:45 PM
Iryna

Hi guys, <o></o>

I need your help. I am writing a research paper for my marketing class at school about people who fly RC helicopters.<o></o>

Please take this brief survey, it will take less than 5 min http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DYTHBPL<o></o>

I will highly appreciate it! Thank you!<o></o>

Old 08-28-2011, 01:25 AM
matty_p80

Iryna, welcome to the thread! just completed the survey! what school year are you in? do you fly yourself? give us a bit more info on yourself!

Bucket, you could have at least crashed in front of the camera, not under it!! ha ha ha! it must be pretty still where you're at?

Jimbo, will be stripping the entire Apache to pieces and building from the servos up! a question on the mCPx, when i reduce throttle whilst in idle-up, it does a dancing chicken mid-air! is this due to head speed, tail authority or something bent/loose (haven't actually crashed it so don't know what could be), or do i need to use the heavier blades that come with it? i'm having probs. with my netbook talking to my cd drive (external) so cannot view the disc that comes with it!!!

got to fly my Extra 300 at least today, some nice loops, rolls, stall turns and very fast, low level passes (must remember to dial in some expo. on the pitch/elevator channel as it's scary quick!! tee hee)

be good peeps

MHPLAC (Matty Hugs Peace Love And Chocolate)

Matty
Old 08-28-2011, 05:36 AM
dooleyje

Matty the dance you are talking about comes from sloppy head hub. Twist the head while holding the gear and you will notice it twisting... Tighten the jesus bolt. Second, your gear is twisted on the shaft...make sure the flat key is against the flat place on the shft. Third the gear needs to be spapped all the wat uo against the bottom bearin. Fourth,,, sloppy links om the swash.. Try popping the links off and put the little body donuts on the swash balls and then pop the links on, trapping the donuts behind the links. OR get the alum swash.

Jim
Old 08-28-2011, 08:48 AM
Iryna

ORIGINAL: matty_p80

Iryna, welcome to the thread! just completed the survey! what school year are you in? do you fly yourself? give us a bit more info on yourself!

Matty

Hi guys,
I am studying in Arizona State University. My task right now is to apply my knowledge in marketing. Since my paper is about RC Helicopters and how to sell/advertice them, my professor gave me a task to find out more about the target market. That is what the survey is about.

I have flown some RC planes (my husband has a bunch of them), but I don't know much about helicopters

Thanks everyone who responded!
Old 08-28-2011, 11:55 AM
Mack66

OK gang, we're finally home, after six weeks on the road. 2800 miles to Cape Breton, NS, and took a longer way back ~ 3200 miles for a total of ~ 6000 miles. Got 26-28 miles per gallon. I'll let you do the math and figure out how many .50 sized helis that comes out to. Eek.

Anyway had a good time visiting with friends and family, and got to meet OneThumb in the bargain. Arrived yesterday in 107F (42C) weather to find our yard half burned from the non-stop severe drought here.

Hope everyone survived the hurrycane that all the media were hyperventilating about. Just glad it didn't stall on those folks or they would have been in for it big time.

Jay and Donica, one of these days we're gonna pass each other on the road to somewhere! Haha.

Now to pick up the pieces of my Sceadu and get her fixed!

Mack
Old 08-29-2011, 09:54 AM
matty_p80

Mack

git 'er done!

Matty
Old 08-30-2011, 07:41 AM
cajungirl

Hidee doodles everybody,
Finally get to talk to y'all a little. It's been a real busy time for me lately with long 10 hour days and only one day a week off. I shore am enjoyin' the peace and quiet of Nebraska we've had for a few days. The cooler weather is nice too. Felt like we were all cooked and dried out from all those hot desert days. It's on to Okie City on Friday and back to work. And, it looks like more hot dry weather there. The damper air here in Nebraska sure feels good.

Mack,
Glad to know you're back home safe and had a good trip. I'm bettin you made Mr. Thumbs day by stoppin' for a visit.

Looks like all y'all have been keepin' the thread at it's customary level of competence and quality. I swear, I've been readin' it all, really. My 'puter time has been dominated by work and studyin' lately.

Been rainy a lot since we got here so not much flyin' gettin done. "Cept for hoppin' around with Ames in the full scale. We've been ridin' along on some of his flights to survey some of the changes in the river valley since all the floodin' earlier in the summer. Lots of different channels in the rivers now and some new lakes and ponds. One of the interestin' things about this part of the country. It's almost like it's fluid and changes a lot.

We got our hands on the 700 kits now and those'll get built soon after some restin' from the buildin'. We really do need a rest from that. Too much fun in too short a time. Some nights, by the time we quit I was a little crossey eyed and Jay had to help me not walk into a wall or somethin'. Gotta give most of the credit on gettin' helis built to Jay though. He's been spendin' some long days on them. Put that together with takin' care of all the runnin' around durin' the day, seein' I got my foot and neck rubs after work, gettin' me out to fly some and workin' on the trailer he's had a full schedule. It's been fun to fly a couple for a change, but as y'all well know, new birdies and first flights are full of more workin' out things till the helis are smooth and steady. The 500s are all sweet now and the 600s are still bein' adjusted up. Jay came up with ten gallons of fuel from a little hobby shop here in No. Platte. A surprisin' find and now we're stocked up on petrol for while. That little shop caters to the RC car folks here and they keep a good supply of fuel on hand 'cause there's a lot of car folks here and they have a lot of races. He gave Jay a good deal on the fuel too. Just $16.75 a jug in lots of ten.

A little somethin' about the wreck of the trailer in Georgia we haven't shared yet. Today Ames and Jay are in Ames' shop buildin' a strong container out of some sheet aluminum and some fireproof stuff as a liner. It's some stuff Ames has left over from doin' some work inside a cargo plane that hauls flammable materials and chemicals for some of the manufacturing comapnies out here. They'll be figgerin' out a way to set it up in the trailer once it's done. It'll 'xactly hold ten gallon jugs in separate pockets and Ames says it'll survive 'bout any kind of possible thumpin' it might get. Guess the crash in Georgia has us thinkin' safety in our method of transportin' as much as in our flyin' now. Made us realize how scary it can be when your jugs of fuel are sprayed all over the road. We didn't have much on hand when the trailer got hit but it was enough to see that it don't take much to make a splash at the wrong time. 'Nuther lesson learned the hard way. No lectures I promise. I know all y'all are smart enough to already see what the point is here.

Whups!!! Gotta go. My yikky yak switch got stuck again and I need to go with Deb to pick up some pizzas to take out to the shop and have lunch with the guys.

Thanks for lettin' me borrow your ears for awhile. It's always a buncha fun talkin' with y'all.

Please be safe, healthy and happy,

Donica
Old 08-30-2011, 08:09 AM
rcmiket

Here's one for you all. A customer brought this XAircraft Multi. I saw this coming he had no clue just how it works. I did some research and found there's not much in the customer service part of this bunch. Thank God for freinds into weird stuff long story short. They guy had all the wiring backward and left 1/2 the screws out of the frame. We actually got to to fly. These things are weird but learning new stuff is always cool. Someone twist my arm to get my Seahawk done............
Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44797.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	1655180   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30328.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	1655181  
Old 09-01-2011, 07:19 AM
dooleyje

Hey gang, I finally had a chance to fly the Microbeastx FBL system. All I can say is SUPER. I have not tweaked anything out so the standard settings give a top notch feel and response.
The tail is locked even on blast out on pitch. For under 200 bucks I highly recommend the system. One thing that is a bother to me is a heli that will not stay in one position while doing Piros and the Beastx delivers. There is even a program for it.I did not feel anything that needed tweaking but I am going to play with the settings and change thing if needed after I get some time on it. I lost another "overeseas battery" While flying it simply lost a cell. The prices are good but to lose cells in the middle of flying a bit rude.
Mike that is a nice Quad.

Donica and Jay,, I sent a PM to yous.

Well, gotta get ready for work,

Jim
Old 09-01-2011, 10:23 AM
flyachopper1

Best of the day me friends,
Spent the morning in the air with Ames flying out over Southwest Nebraska and Southeastern Colorado. He was flying some track inspections for the Union Pacific and only had to ask once if Donica and I wanted to ride along.

Got the break in done on the motors in the 600s yesterday and today we are going to turn them loose over a soccer field and give them a hard run. I have read about some improvements in the OS Hyper 50 motors since they first came out and these new ones seem to run smoother and rap up to max speed nearly instantly. They have strengthened the connecting rods and improved the machining on the pistons as well as the cylinder sleeves. Seems to have made a difference in the torque produced too. After today I will be able to tell you more of any performance improvements. According to my infrared thermometer they are running about 40 degrees cooler too. It will be in the hight nineties here today so I will be able to test that part well.

Not much more to put down here as of now. Best go and get the field kits for the 600s ready to go. My Cajun beauty will be back shortly from picking up munchie and drink supplies to take out with us and we will be headed for the field.

Be well me friends.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:24 AM
matty_p80

ooops!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.