Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Spektrum DX3S Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 05:55 AM
BigTb17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum DX3S Issue

I'm having an issue with the throttle channel on my DX3S. It happens with multiple receivers and speed controls, so I'm fairly certain it's the transmitter.

When I let the throttle go to neutral it only stays there for a split second (even if I'm not touching the trigger at all). It will very quickly act as if I'm very slightly giving throttle. The ESC will indicate slight throttle almost imediately, and then it will slowly build higher until the vehicle is actually driving forwards slightly. If I blip the trigger in either direction it will stop and go back to neutral, but will again start slowly applying throttle on it's own.

I can adjust the trim to make it stop, but once I give throttle a few times it will begin doing the same thing again. I even tried widening the neutral width in my ESC programming, but the issue persists (though it's slightly reduced).

I've had the DX3S for a while (couple years) and it just started this issue. It seems to work ok otherwise, and for the most part, it's not a huge issue when driving around, though it is annoying. One of the main problems is that the ammount of time it remains in neutral is usually just a bit shorter than the time it takes any of my ESCs to arm reverse. So getting my cars to go backwards has become tricky. I could simply change the ESC settings to eliminate the reverse delay, but I hate when I get a little too carried away with the brakes and the tires lock up and the ESC imediately switches to reverse and ends up spinning the car out. So I really prefer it waits to see neutral before engaging reverse.

I figure unless I can open it up and find something obvious (loose throttle potentiometer or something) my only option is to send it to Horizon. Or is there something else I can try myself?
Old 08-28-2011, 06:00 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum DX3S Issue

ORIGINAL: BigTb17

I'm having an issue with the throttle channel on my DX3S. It happens with multiple receivers and speed controls, so I'm fairly certain it's the transmitter.

When I let the throttle go to neutral it only stays there for a split second (even if I'm not touching the trigger at all). It will very quickly act as if I'm very slightly giving throttle. The ESC will indicate slight throttle almost imediately, and then it will slowly build higher until the vehicle is actually driving forwards slightly. If I blip the trigger in either direction it will stop and go back to neutral, but will again start slowly applying throttle on it's own.

I can adjust the trim to make it stop, but once I give throttle a few times it will begin doing the same thing again. I even tried widening the neutral width in my ESC programming, but the issue persists (though it's slightly reduced).

I've had the DX3S for a while (couple years) and it just started this issue. It seems to work ok otherwise, and for the most part, it's not a huge issue when driving around, though it is annoying. One of the main problems is that the ammount of time it remains in neutral is usually just a bit shorter than the time it takes any of my ESCs to arm reverse. So getting my cars to go backwards has become tricky. I could simply change the ESC settings to eliminate the reverse delay, but I hate when I get a little too carried away with the brakes and the tires lock up and the ESC imediately switches to reverse and ends up spinning the car out. So I really prefer it waits to see neutral before engaging reverse.

I figure unless I can open it up and find something obvious (loose throttle potentiometer or something) my only option is to send it to Horizon. Or is there something else I can try myself?
Have you tried connecting a servo to the Throttle channel just to see if the servo behaves the same as the ESC. Is it possible it is just an ESC issue? Just a thought based upon the info you just gave us.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:09 AM
BigTb17

I will try that as soon as I get a chance (probably later tonight) and post the results.

I first noticed the problem with a Mamba Max Pro ESC with an SR300 receiver. I had driven that very vehicle not long before that and had no such issue. However, I still didn't think much of it until a few days later when I completed my TLR 22 buggy with a brand new Tekin RS Pro and SR3300T receiver and found it had the same issue.

I will try swapping the ESC and servo. It will also be interesting to see not only what the servo does on the throttle channel, but if the ESC stays in neutral when on the steering channel.

Edit: Also, both ESCs will not arm when initially powered up until they see a neutral position on the transmitter, and since this problem started I often have to blip reverse a time or two before it stays in neutral long enough to arm the ESC. So apparently the issue is occurring even before the ESCs arm.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:40 PM
BigTb17

Just did some tests. I first tested with a S6070 servo connected to the steering channel. It centered in the same position each time and held steady when there was no input with the steering wheel.

I then connected the servo to the throttle channel. At first the servo seemed to stay put when the throttle was in neutral, but it didn't always stop in quite exactly the same spot. However, after a few back and forth and back to center cycles the servo could be observed moving slightly in one direction from center after returning to neutral (finger off the trigger). So while the difference in where it stops is relatively small (though not perfect) the main problem is that 75-80% of the time it slowly moves away from center once the trigger returns to neutral.

Also, just a quick note. The ESC stayed in neutral during the testing while connected to the steering channel.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:58 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like a spring/binding problem on your trigger.

Andy