Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

CALDERA 10E - UPGRADE RECOMMENDATIONS???

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

CALDERA 10E - UPGRADE RECOMMENDATIONS???

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 11:17 AM
rootbeerslop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CALDERA 10E - UPGRADE RECOMMENDATIONS???

Having some problems... and I'm not too happy with this Caldera right now.

1. Transaxle rattle.. same as posted in this forum.

2. Remote control only goes to about 30 yrds, and then complete control loss... which means it may slam into a tree or fly off a cliff.

3. After 1 battery worth of use, 2 of my lower shock screws are gone...

4. Reverse needs tweaking

I am frustrated with this truck.

My friend brought his Traxxas over, and the Caldera SMOKES it, and out climbs it... but he retains control of this for at least 50 solid yards. (Long antenna on his remote)
I can't even stretch this things legs all the way it is so limited with range.

Granted, this is one of my first rc vehicles other than a chopper, but I certainly expect more out of the box for 190.00. Especially if you have to spend 75.00 on upgrades just to make it work decently.... Why not just buy a better one ?

I would truly appreciate it if someone could tell me what to do to make this thing work well. I like it, I just think it has some weaknesses that make it annoying.
I've had it 2 weeks and only gotten 2 batteries worth of use because of things breaking.

Only thing I have done so far is get two 7.4V batts... makes it run great, and has good life, if the truck would stay together.
-and I'm only running it on flat ground in a park... nothing crazy.

1. Can I upgrade the transmitter? Is it worth it, or should I just get another truck instead ?
2. Do I need to replace the transaxle, or can I just run it until it stop functioning?

Thanks !!!

Old 08-29-2011, 12:29 PM
soldier5050

Default RE: CALDERA 10E - UPGRADE RECOMMENDATIONS???

I am with you my friend............Good luck , it is a pile of .... Nothing good about the truck if we did like some said and add better quality parts then Iwould have $500 in it . Could have just went out and bought another Traxxas if we are going to spend that kind of money . Right!
Old 08-29-2011, 04:33 PM
jaturner

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles.

I bought a Caldera 10E for my son on on his 6th birthday. He just turned 7, runs the thing constantly with 2s LIPO and in a years time I have replaced 2 parts. A broken shock and the initial stock servo that came with it(replaced under warranty).

I have put way more money into fixing issues on my Traxxas Merv (Mini E-REVO). I still love the thing.

1. My son's has been a little noisy from day one. 1 year later still going strong with the same noise.

2. Range has been fairly good on ours. Not sure exactly how far but it goes far enough to barely be able to see it.

3. Never seen that issue.

4. That is annoying and have seen that as well. Usually just need to adjust trim.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:36 PM
rootbeerslop

Thanks for the replies !

Looks like I may have a bad receiver / transmitter. Several people say it should go about as far as you can see. I'll take that to the bank.

All my issues should hopefully be fixable under warranty, just a bit frustrating that I haven't gotten more time out of it before mailing pieces in.
But, I'd say this Tx /Rx issue has been wrong since day one.

Not sure if the Transaxle issue needs to be fixed right away, or if I can drive it a while. It works fine if you are going fast, only makes the grinding noise when you go really slow.

The PRO's for this truck to give a positive note:

It is indeed very fun to drive !!

Super fast with the 7.4v LiPo's, and great run time.

Excellent climbing with the 4x4. Not quite a rock crawler, but it screams and claws its way up a steep hill and even up small stairs.

Got my fingers crossed that once I sort out these issues, it will be a while before something else happens.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:08 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

how old is the caldera? the radio sounds very glitchy to me (range and the reverse issue both from the radio)
if its under 30days old, have redcat replace the reciever (its usually the reciever and not the radio itself)

Or you could pick up a traxxas AM or 2.4ghz radio/rx to replace the redcat one.

also, the same 2.4ghz radio is sold under the flysky name on www.hobbypartz.com for $30 shipped.

replacing the radio or reciever should fix your range and reverse issue.

the dogbones in the caldera make alot of noice as they move in the drive cups. they will cause wear(as with any simillarly setup rc)
you can add a small piece of nitro fuel line on the inside of the drive cups. this will cusion the dogbones and make them rattle alittle less.

you can drive the truck as is tho.

its also a good idea(IMO) to add a fan or heat sink to the motor.

as for the screws that backed out, try slightly longer ones, or maybe ones with a finner thread. if you get fed up, you can always add alittle super glue!
Old 08-30-2011, 07:40 AM
rootbeerslop

Would you consider FlySky "better" or about the same as the RedCat receiver?

I would be willing to buy a better receiver if you thought that would help.

Would I be able to pair my current remote with a new receiver? Or should I just buy the set for 30 bucks?
- I don't think it came with the pairing cord actually... Do you usually get that with the receiver?

Will get some Nitro tube for the dogbone. I'm learning quickly !

Thanks for the info !!!
Old 08-30-2011, 07:49 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

there should have been a bind plug(pairing cord) in with the manual.

the flysky is exactly the same as what redcat has.

i have had a couple of the Rx's just quit working right, while others worked great.

the flysky is cheaper than buying a replacment redcat dsm2 unit.

you can also buy just the rx from hobbypartz. but its half the cost and i say its worth it just to get the radio and rx. plus they will come bound so all you have to do is swap out the rx in your caldera and recalibrate the ESC to the new radio.

flysky also has a radio GT3b that is fancier than the redcat, also 2.4, uses the same rx and has many more features. look that one up. many have it and like it.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:05 PM
xerxes

op. urs didnt cum wit a binding plug? is ur stok radio 2.4ghz or am?.

regardless, as 4 losing a lower shok bolts, run a longer 3mm .5 pitch allen screw insted. iv lost dos black wood screw tipe things also, on redcat, traxxas, & hpi. i nevr lost a 3mm simply frum running it.

tiny clipping of nitro fuel tubing in each drive cup, or snip a 1/4" off da spring inside a pen. eithr way will eliminate slop.

id also recomend goin thru ur diff housings. skim thru youtube on redcat diff shimming. xcessiv noise can also eminate frum improper diff setup. it will also giv u a chanse 2 add mor grease 2 ur ring & pinion.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:22 PM
soldier5050

upgrade to a TRAXXAS SLASH for $380 . Oh I know the Redcat Caldera 10 E is $230 but the time you upgrade to all good quality parts you have $380 + in the thing that is only worth $230 . Good Deal , NOPE DON'T THINKSO!
Old 08-31-2011, 06:57 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

also, the same 2.4ghz radio is sold under the flysky name on www.hobbypartz.com for $30 shipped.
They are not licensed under flysky, they are manufactured by flysky licensed to Redcat. They are the exact same radios. same quality, same radio. although I have to admit we have had great luck with them, we now import them direct from flysky and haven't had one problem.

Anyway the point is they are the same and there's no point in buying a complicated over rated piece of Traxxas crap for a Redcat car. Just replace the receiver and be done with it. THe Flysky radios are great and we sell about 6 a week. I wouldn't sell them if they were crap.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:33 PM
FatherDeath

[img]../../../image/blank.gif[/img] Having some problems... and I'm not too happy with this Caldera right now.

I found that all the differentals on my redcat need grease or lube put in them, and most need shimmed just a touch to get rid of the rattle

2. Remote control only goes to about 30 yrds, and then complete control loss... which means it may slam into a tree or fly off a cliff.
I upgraded mine to the Flysky GT3B

Use Blue threadlock on ALL the screws... They tend to vibrate lose if your not careful. Make sure you do this to the wheel nuts as well

Reverse has a mind of its own.. Sometimes it works great sometimes not at all.. I have 4 redcats and they all are the same..

My friend brought his Traxxas over, and the Caldera SMOKES it, and out climbs it... but he retains control of this for at least 50 solid yards. (Long antenna on his remote)

Granted, this is one of my first rc vehicles other than a chopper, but I certainly expect more out of the box for 190.00. Especially if you have to spend 75.00 on upgrades just to make it work decently.... Why not just buy a better one ?

I would truly appreciate it if someone could tell me what to do to make this thing work well. I like it, I just think it has some weaknesses that make it annoying.
I've had it 2 weeks and only gotten 2 batteries worth of use because of things breaking.

Only thing I have done so far is get two 7.4V batts... makes it run great, and has good life, if the truck would stay together.

1. Can I upgrade the transmitter? Is it worth it, or should I just get another truck instead ?
Yes you can I have the Flysky GT3B there about 35 bucks at hobbypartz and it works great and you can tweek alot of things right from the transmitter.
2. Do I need to replace the transaxle, or can I just run it until it stop functioning?
It is prolly just the front ring an pinion in the transaxle.. the rebuild kits are fairly cheap and easy to rebuild... Sence you are gonna have to replace or rebuild it eventually might as well run it as long as you can

Thanks !!!
Old 09-06-2011, 07:22 PM
rootbeerslop

ORIGINAL: FatherDeath

[img]../../../image/blank.gif[/img] Having some problems... and I'm not too happy with this Caldera right now.

I found that all the differentals on my redcat need grease or lube put in them, and most need shimmed just a touch to get rid of the rattle

I upgraded mine to the Flysky GT3B

Use Blue threadlock on ALL the screws... They tend to vibrate lose if your not careful. Make sure you do this to the wheel nuts as well

Reverse has a mind of its own.. Sometimes it works great sometimes not at all.. I have 4 redcats and they all are the same..

Yes you can I have the Flysky GT3B there about 35 bucks at hobbypartz and it works great and you can tweek alot of things right from the transmitter.
It is prolly just the front ring an pinion in the transaxle.. the rebuild kits are fairly cheap and easy to rebuild... Sence you are gonna have to replace or rebuild it eventually might as well run it as long as you can

Thanks !!!
Thank you ! Much obliged !!

Old 09-07-2011, 08:23 AM
FatherDeath

Glad i could help.. there are alot of people on here that really know there stuff and are very helpfull.. I know they have helped me
Old 09-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Meafordguy

I have had a Caldera 10E for a few months now and I drive it hard. Haven't had any of these issues with it so far so sounds like maybe you just got a bad transmitter and maybe a few loose screws on it.

I appreciate the maintenance tips about greasing the differential and threadlocking the wheelnuts. I'll look into that too.

I put larger tires with heavier tread on mine and although it looks cool and handles rough terrain better, it has slowed down the top speed somewhat.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:01 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful that you dont ruin the motor or esc with the load that the larger tires put on them.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:02 AM
rootbeerslop

ORIGINAL: ehroof

Be careful that you dont ruin the motor or esc with the load that the larger tires put on them.

Good to know, thanks all !! I'll put up a new post after I get mine back to let you know how it is performing.
Hopefully it is just getting off to a rough start