Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Fokker DRI Build Along

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Fokker DRI Build Along

Old 08-29-2011, 08:09 PM
roncannell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fokker DRI Build Along

Waldo, I ordered two sets of wire today so I will get another chance to practice. My first dr1 the solder job was nice. The second set didnt look so good but did hold.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:14 PM
rampman

Hey, figured it out. Notice the top wing.
The two batteries look like fangs, eh?

Rick
Old 08-29-2011, 08:17 PM
roncannell

Rich, welcome you will be the Electric expert on this thread. I would guess you want a 0 incidence on all three. I realize yours is not a Busa. I will look at my construction manual and verify what these have. The Busa philosophy is to sacrifice scale for flyability.
The Batts do look like Fangs. The Dracula DR1 [:-]
Old 08-29-2011, 08:36 PM
roncannell

Rich, I was wrong. The book calls for 1 to 2 degrees of positive incidence.
I would be interested in others take about the change in incidence helping with nose - overs. Do you think you are still nose heavy?
Old 08-29-2011, 08:48 PM
rampman

Well, I really don't want to find out,,,if you know what I mean.  [X(]
I can still remove more weight up front by way of battery size.  I will search for CG and play with it some.

I also don't like how the wing is held on in the middle.  The cabines? were just screwed into wood with allen head 8/32 screws.  Aaarrrrgggg.  I replaced them with 10/24 as the wood threads were stripped out...You think...?  Eventually I plan to epoxy the screws in place but not screw them in all of the way and cut off the heads.  I can then leave them in and put some nuts on instead.  I really don't want to remove/replace the covering to access these and make it stronger. 

Rick
Old 08-29-2011, 09:02 PM
roncannell

Would the Batts stay cool enough on the backside of the firewall? The bottom of the fuse could be vented. Electric brings in a whole new set of questions for set up. Most of the Busa Tripes have to worry about tail heavy issues. Those with a Z26 or larger seem to balance o.k.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:31 AM
roncannell

Rich, here is a head to head comparison of our gear.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13991.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	1655167  
Attached Images  
Old 08-31-2011, 09:07 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys have been getting me excited here. I think that I'm going to bring "LOLA" down from the rafters and get her airborne again. We have a warbird meet coming up and not too many represent the WWI era of models.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:12 AM
roncannell

Hey Bigg, Get her outta the rafters! In fact just jump in the truck and drive out here to the Desert and we will have WW1 fly in of our own. After all its a dry heat!
Old 08-31-2011, 10:42 AM
mrbigg

Sounds good to me!
Old 09-02-2011, 06:34 AM
roncannell

Now that I have a few flights on the New DR1 I am thinking of doing some weathering to grunge it up into a more scale representation. All those pretty colors look like a flying Quilt! The part I am most concerned about is streaking the Green. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 09-03-2011, 04:46 AM
mrbigg

Wish I had some of that "dry" heat here. Been a little humid lately.[:@]

Brought her down from the rafters. Need to put a receiver back in her and change out the battery packs. Had a couple of Nicad AA packs in there. They were new a couple of years ago. I've since switched everything over to A123 batteries. Probaly will go with two packs again for peace of mind. She took a long time to build and cover!
Hoping to have her started by this evening. The G38 usually fires right up.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:41 AM
roncannell

Bigg, thats great. I have thought about purchasing a G38 from Bennet Built in Indiana. I am trying to decid what my next plane is going to be. I have thought about the D7 and a Fleetwood Bipe. Both weigh around 20lbs. That 38cc would work in both. Meanwhile I could put that 38 in my other Triplane. I have six planes that are flight ready. after six it is not cost effective for me to buy more Radio/engine/Batts etc. So I "rob Peter to pay Paul" so to speak.
I try not to go over two years on Batts. Ideally I would like to change them every year, but I dont. I have not tried the ABC batts.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:24 PM
mrbigg

I'm sure some of you guys have seen this video, but if not, check it out. It is sweet.

[link=http://youtu.be/_iJpzsbsD2M]Seven Fokker Dr.1 Triplanes of Jasta 11 [/link]
Old 09-03-2011, 03:55 PM
roncannell

Bigg, I saw that last week for the first time and it is an amazing sight. I have two built and five more to collect the whole set!
Old 09-03-2011, 09:12 PM
rampman

Ron, if you want to try an A123 pack out let me know.  I have scores of them and they last YEARS.  They are also LSD, Low Self Discharge, so you charge them, let them sit a few months and you can only squeeze <200mah back into them.  Most of my RX pack planes only burn <500mah on 6 flights.

Rick
Old 09-04-2011, 03:03 AM
ARUP

ORIGINAL: roncannell

Bigg, I saw that last week for the first time and it is an amazing sight. I have two built and five more to collect the whole set!
I'm building two of that set! One is E.Mohnicke's 'blue tail' and the other is 'pilot unknown' with white 'X' on black field fuse marking. Here are the wings:
Old 09-04-2011, 05:40 AM
roncannell

Rick, I would like to try those, I have a couple planes that I need to rotate Batts in, so yes I will get with you on that.
Ron
P.S. Sorry, I have been calling you Rich.
Rick, also I ordered an extra BUSA gear set if you would like to try a set on your DR1. We cpould try it first w/o the sub wing and then if it works nice build a sub wing for it.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:43 AM
roncannell

ARUP, thats pretty cool. What kit or plans are you building? I would like to see more of your build.
Ron
Old 09-04-2011, 04:48 PM
mrbigg

Got her fired up. Runs good. Just can't stand the sound.[:@] Been watching too many of them full scale vids and the sound is great.
A nice four stroke is out of the question for now. The Bennett mufffler is just plain annoying. I don't mind loud, but it has to sound good. Maybe this winter I'll fire up the MIG and fab up a sheet metal muffler. There is plenty of room in the cowl.
I'm going to change out the switches also and add my custom charging jack. Been using this system on all my planes lately and it seems to work good. Just a good automotive grade toggle switch (looks very similar to the one Zenoah sells for their Mag switch) and a Dean's plug epoxied into a block of balsa for a charge jack.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:37 PM
roncannell

Bigg, it's ironic that you would mention the Bennett muffler. I just ordered one, it arrived yesterday. I am flying a Zenoah 26. Does the Bennett muffler add any Power or at least enough power for the added noise. The only benefit of loud at our field is being able to hear your engine if it quits.
Also Bigg, if you have any more picture of Lola in action It would be great to see them. Interested in seeing your switch as well.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:09 AM
mrbigg

I couldn't tell you how much power it robs. I have never ran the engine with the muffler off. It would probaly be just as loud as with it on though![sm=lol.gif]
It is just a simple toggle switch. More heavy duty than some though. I wire it into the negative lead coming from the battery. The charge jack is just a Femal Dean's Ultra Plug. Very simple and cheap too! Plus it will handle the higher charging amps that the A123's can handle.
I'll get some pics next weedend. Should have it ready to go by then.
Here's a link to the switch. Same one I get at Autozone.

[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Reviews.aspx?ProdID=ZEN20000#reviewsTab]Zenoah Kill Switch[/link]
Old 09-05-2011, 03:04 PM
roncannell

[quote]ORIGINAL: mrbigg

I couldn't tell you how much power it robs.

Bigg, I meant in relation to the Stock Zenoah Muffler.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:28 PM
mrbigg

I would imagine that it does better than the Zenoah muffler. There is no "muffling" to it. Just diverts it.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:34 PM
roncannell

Bigg, I will bolt it up and see if I notice a differance in improved power. Part of the problem is the heat, I have been flying in 100 plus temps.
Ron

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.