Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

RC Lander Lighting System

Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

RC Lander Lighting System

Old 07-18-2010, 11:41 PM
skirack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Lander Lighting System

I ordered a RC Lander Lighting System B with After Burner from Sonic Electric. I found the instructions to be very vague and the diagrams were inconclusive.

I want to be able to turn on/off the aircraft light from a aux switch and have the after burner light stage up and down or just turn on when throttle is applied.

I am posting a diagram I created to see if I have it setup correctly. It is my hope that I can confirm/correct it and post it for others who may wish to refer to it.

I am using a Spektrum AR6200 Receiver and JR 9303 radio. I am using the gear channel for Eflite landing gear.[img][/img]

I would appreciate any help in confirming if my wiring is correct and I am also looking for some help in programming my radio to move the lights on/off to a Aux switch.

Thanks in advance for your consideration and help.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20724.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1470036  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Mh21235.pdf (6.8 KB, 63 views)
Old 07-19-2010, 11:07 PM
tim wan

Default RE: RC Lander Lighting System

Thanks for your purchasing our product. As per your request, I have made the following suggestion for your reference.
1) The connection for all cables are corrected.
2) Power on the TX and pull back the throttle stick on the idle position then connect the battery with ESC. (pls notice to make sure the TX Aux 1 travel throw is a normal setting 100%)
3) All lights should be on except the afterburner. On that time you can decide the Aux 1 (JR- flaps function) on0 position is turn on all lights.
4) On 1 position is turn off all lights. That means pull back the Aux 1 on 1 position if all lights are turn off that the setting is already pre-set by factory. Otherwise, you need to do
adjustmenton the PCB VR 1 - normally a little bit anti-clock wide travel adjust until all lights are closed to power off level. Then push back the Aux 1 to 0 position, all lights will be on &
green &red lights should be flashing. Pull back the Aux 1 to 1 position to check all lights are off or not. If all lights are not fully off, pls use the flap trim or Aux 1 travelling on your TX
to do fine trim until all ights fully off. On that time the RX 1 control all lights are completed.
5) Afterburner set up; power on the TX and set the throttle stick on the idle position then connect the battery with ESC /RX (make sure the balance plug cable is connected with PCB).
6) Afterburner lights should be all off on the time (pre-set by factory). Otherwise, you need to adjust the PCB VR 2 to turn off the afterburner either a little bit on according to your desire.
7) Then push up full throttle, afterburner lights will be linear brighten.

Hope the above information is clear to you. If you have any question, pls feel free to contact me again. ([email protected])

Best regards,
Tim

Old 07-20-2010, 07:41 PM
skirack

Thank you very much for your response.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:24 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I have a set of these lights and I have just spent 2 hours trying to set them up and they are terrible. The wireing diagram/instructions are terrible. Once you see which side of the controller pin board is the signal side you then see that some of the LED's are wired with just a red and black wire and others with a red and white wire. When I wire mine up as above and after looking at the useless instructions the main lights just stay on and dont work at all on the Retract channel which is the one I have set them up on to switch on and off.

As for the afterburner ring well again I have set it up as above and it will not work at all.

This is in my view a terrible product and will give you hours of frustration before you throw it in the bin.

Tim your products are generally good but you have completly let yourself down with his one I am afraid

Dennis
Old 01-08-2011, 02:20 PM
Airforce7
My Feedback: (31)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Dennis,

I'll have you know I received mine this week and spent ~1.5 hours trying to figure it out. I eventually got it functioning corectly using the retract channel. The trick is in tweaking the VR1 (nav lights) and VR2 (afterburrner). It seemed flakey at first but eventually got all the plugs in the correct orientation and found that adusting the gear travel to +140 set the wingtip lights to a good on/off sequence. The afterburner ring is actually pretty darn bright. Ran it off a 4s battery. I wish it could be turned off like the nav lights though. Maybe put it on another channel (other than throttle) and setup a mix and pick a open switch. Haven't gotten that far yet with the system. Here are my plug orientations, with the label facing up:

1: tail light - white wire to last pin
2: back light - black wire to first pin (signal pin according to RC lander documentation)
3: Rx1 control - white wire to last pin (I used a spare jetcat throttle control servo wire with two plugs, so orange wire last pin)
4: head light - black wire to first pin
5: right light - white wire to last pin
6: left light - white wire to last pin
7: Rx2 control - white wire last pin, red wire cut to second pin, and black wire to first pin

Hope this helps, Ken
Old 01-08-2011, 03:00 PM
Airforce7
My Feedback: (31)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Photos...

Name:	He97057.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	1544248   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21420.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	1544249  
Old 01-17-2011, 05:30 PM
Chancho

Wow I can’t believe I found this thread….

These are all great posts for this relatively unknown product. There is just no info on it anywhere.

I've got one on the way for a glow/nitro model. However I don't know if Ican run it off of the 7.4 LiPo I intend to use? Ijust read that Ken ran his off of a 4S and saw that in the product picture they had a 3S plugged in. My guess is they're tapping off of the 2 or 3Sas I can only see two connections for the battery. Anyhow... If any of you gentleman who've used this can tell me the voltage going to the power connector of the unit, I'd be much obliged.

Best Regards,
Old 02-07-2011, 08:03 AM
wayne-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello:
I have two of the same RC Lander lighting systems. i would like to hook up two of the after bunner rings to only one lander system. How would i do this or will that burn up ( over load) somthing in the lander system.
I am trying to keep from having to use two system and all the mess of wires from two systems.
Thanks.
wayne.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:01 PM
Rbohn

I just got the RC Lander C1 system, which has no afterburner. ($15 from [link=http://www.nitroplanes.com/rcsyc1.html]Nitroplanes [/link]; not available at HobbyPartz.) It uses two servo connectors, for 2 RX channels. Thus the only power is the 5 v (or 6v) you get from the BEC. (There is a pot on each servo connector; possibly that changes the voltage so you can adjust maximum brightness.)
I posted other comments on the Nitroplanes page, which should show up in a few days.
Everything arrived already assembled - all 6 lights and 2 servo connectors. All I had to do was find 2 empty channels on the RX, plug in, and experiment with my TX. I'm sure there is more I can do, but this was enough to get started.
I'll be buying more of these. They are 1/3 the price of similar products. Some lights blink, some are solid; some change from solid to blinking depending on the control setting.

Supposed the C2 version is similar but it's always-on; no RX channels.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:00 AM
wayne-RCU

Hi:
I started working on the RC Lander system in FEB 2011 and I got done with the build in AUG 2011. I turned the After bunner lights inword to keep the glow of the lights down (to make it look like a turbine Glow), Here is some video also.

http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/rr...A2011-2A18.mp4

Wayne.

Name:	Ec89806.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	1655091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48876.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	1655092  
Old 08-30-2011, 05:45 AM
Chancho

Nice video Wayne - thanks for sharing.

I haven't installed the light ring yet and bought a different controller to time pulses in relation to throttle position to try to better simmulate an afterburner. Regardless, the lightes in your heli look great and nice effect with pilot waving with gun turret - cool!

Cheers,,
Old 08-30-2011, 05:53 AM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could you guys please Post photos of the After Burner ring?

Does this "ring" come assembled? In differend diameters?

A link to where it can be purchased?

Charles
Old 08-30-2011, 06:45 AM
Chancho

Gooogle, "RC Lander Afterburner Lighting System."It'sChinese and I bought mine from Nitro Planes dot com. There they have pictures. I just measured the light ring and it is 76 mm inside diameter and 81 outside diameter.

Good Luck...
Old 08-30-2011, 09:57 AM
Avaiojet

Well, I googled all that, and thanks for those measurements.

It appears as though "they" offer a few of these assemblies, designed to fit certain "Out of the Box" models. I say this because there's price differences.

Unfortunately my model isn't "Out of the Box."

However, it is in the construction stages.

I would have to have the inside and outside measurements for all of what is offered, to adapt my building to fit a particular After Burner ring, that could be used for my airframe, I should say "fit" my airframe.

It's a shame that manufacturers don't provide information that could be used by scratch builders.

They have been lacking in these areas forever.

Some do much better than others, but all fall short, in some ways or another.

Well, with this said, it's up to modelers to provide measurements of their After Burner rings. A shame isn't it.

So guys, Got any measurements? I need the inside and outside measurement of the ring, cuz there's a few sizes.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:24 PM
wayne-RCU

Hi; Phil and Charles

Thank You for the kind words.

Phil, Even though the R/C Lander's light ring will light up slowely, i put a servo slow system (about $8.00) in line to the R/C Lander and this makes for a real looking match when you move the thrl. stick.

Charles, I used the 70mm R/C Lander system like Phil was talking about. I know they make also a 90mm and a 120mm light set. I was told there is smaller a 50mm set.
I had to turn my lights inward becouse the lights will blind you (not a real turbine look).
My Lights are bouncing off of a $1.00 flachlight from the Doller tree store.
If you cut a cardboard ring from the measurements that Phil gave you (this is how i did it also) and then you will know for sure if it will fit in you airframe.
Good Luck

From Wayne and the Kids

Name:	Vt57665.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	1655288  
Old 08-30-2011, 02:27 PM
Avaiojet

Thank You for the kind words.
Wayne-RCU,

Did I insult you?

With all due respect, do you have any idea how difficult it was for me to watch that Heli video? I have less than absolutely no interest in Helis.

That's just the way it is.

Also, I saw no "rings" in the exhaust of that heli, unless I missed it? A possibility, I did blink a bit.

Charles, I used the 70mm R/C Lander system like Phil was talking about. I know they make also a 90mm and a 120mm light set. I was told there is smaller a 50mm set.
OK, that's fine, but it doesn't help me. I'm setting my airframe up for a Stumax 100mm, what I need is "EXACT" measurements of the rings, ID and OD. Nothing else said will work or help me.

If you cut a cardboard ring from the measurements that Phil gave you (this is how i did it also) and then you will know for sure if it will fit in you airframe.
Yes, I can figure that one out and I did that.

Is "Phil's/Chanco's ring from a 70mm, a 90mm? That's the next question?

Maybe it doesn't sound like it, but this is helping me and I honestly appreciate it.

The manufacturer should list the sizes available.

Charles

Old 08-30-2011, 06:10 PM
wayne-RCU

Avaiojet

What ever.

good luck.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:39 PM
Avaiojet

Avaiojet What ever. good luck.
wayne-RCU,

Thank you!

"Luck,"

It has nothing to do with luck.

It's about asking questions, participation, and getting answers from other modelers.

Thanks again!

Charles

Old 08-30-2011, 07:23 PM
Avaiojet

By the looks of these photos, there's different rings offered.

3 photos of the green ring, My guess only, is the 70mm ring. the other photo is the, my guess again, 90mm ring.

Clearly, the 70mm or green ring is constructed "cleaner," that is the thickness of the ring is smaller than the one in the other photo.

One would guess why? Also seems as though there's more thickness in the other ring than necessary.

They don't make it easy for you.

Name:	Ay74596.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	1655470   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46501.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	1655471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48622.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1655472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cv61266.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	1655473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa33671.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	1655474  
Old 08-31-2011, 06:09 AM
Chancho

Gents,

Wayne - thanks for the tips on turning the lights inward, that'll help a lot...

Charles - I'm pretty sureIpurchased the 70 mmring.Ibought this over last winter for a build project that still isn't built. Ipondered how to get the light ring inside the tail of an already built up ARF, H9 Jackal. Since someone like Wayne wasn't available to help with questions at the time I purchased mine, my only other course was to purchase the unit and try it out.Ithink Ihad a coupon at the time, whatever, and it was around $15 with shipping.That enabled me to play with it and try it on different voltages, etc., etc.. There are a ton of lighting controllers, rings and lights to get where you want to go. The nicest thing about this controller and setup isprice and it's all inclusive - if you feel like the challenge tofit it in your system.Heck,even if you choose not touse the afterburner ring, it's a steal for $20 forthe basic navigationlights. My 2 cents; if your looking something for an exact fit, I would go the custom route and find the lights and controller that is going to do exactly what you need from it.In fact, I didn't want to mod too much and ended up buying a DELight controller kit from Dimmensionengineering dot com and am now searching for the right LED's tousein the afterburner. I will use the RCLander Light system on another bird. Idon't want to get off track, but the DELight is really cool because you can program your flash sequences, etc., etc.,

Take Care All,
Old 08-31-2011, 09:21 AM
Avaiojet

Phil,

Thanks for that info. Is Wayne a factory rep?

I'd like to just pop one in without changing the ring or doing electrical mods.

I'm working on my airframe, so the exhaust area is and can be a + or -. So I could design it to fit a ring.

This is wht the ID and OD is important.

The opening has to work with my exhaust tube.

Charles
Old 08-31-2011, 04:40 PM
wayne-RCU

Hi: Phil

Your Very Welcome,

I worked with a lot of the R/C lander light systems and know them very well. I know how they can be hard to size sometimes.
Phil, If you are putting the ring in a jet, You might want to turn the lights out ward for max light effect. I am putting a 120mm set in my big F-14 tomcat and the lights will be turned out for max light in the daytime (due to : the jets fly futher away then a scale heli). you will have to play with the lights and see what works best for you.

Feel free to drop a reply any time,
Aways glad to help if i can.

wayne.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:41 AM
Avaiojet

wayne-RCU.

Your scale Apache, is that particular model one you scratch built?
Old 09-02-2011, 08:35 AM
Avaiojet

Next big question.

Anyone got one of the 90mm afterburner rings?

I could use some measurements.

Charles
Old 10-20-2011, 12:50 PM
tacx

Hi Guys,
Just found this thread. Hope someone can help me. I purchased the simple "non after burner ring" set to go into a Cub plane. Two wing tip lights, one front landing light, and one rear light. My question....Is there a way to get the rear light to flash?? I can get the wing tip lights to flash when the light connector is plugged into the controller one way and I can get them to stay on solid by reversing the connector, but I can't seem to get the rear light to flash?

I would like to set mine up so the wing tip lights stay solid and the rear light flashes. Is this possible??

With the non after burner set there is only one pot to adjust. If thats any help.

Thanks

Tom

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.