Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Making a Good Landing

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Making a Good Landing

Old 09-01-2011, 04:50 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Making a Good Landing

, I do have the wind sock, just haven't put it up yet. I already know that prevailing winds come from the west (which is the tall tree side) Good for landing , but not good for take-offs. I can either have a N/S runway or a E/W runway (or opposites of course) I could have both if I wanted , but will probably settle for a 200' E/W runway and forget the N/S one. I mowed the grass short tonite and grass isn't going to cut it for my small planes.

I went walking looking for runways tonight and found 2 , the roof of the house and the street, yikes. I can settle for landing in the grass for now. I don't like hand launching because of a bad shoulder.

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

Guvar, put a wind sock out in the area you want to put your runway and watch it for a while (weeks, months) and cut your runway in the same direction as the prevailing winds in your area.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:14 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go 1 or 2 sizes larger on the tires, that will help you out. Also, I cut my grass at 2" and overseed it yearly so the weeds have a harder time, and the nap of the grass is more consistent. I also use a 2000 lb roller a couple of times a year to help make it smoother. ( A slightly wet spring is best time, just not when the ground turns to bog...)
Old 09-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Luft-Gangster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stall - what causes a stall and how do I want my aircraft behave in a stall.
Wash Out (not to be confused with prop wash) - Im I just flying an ARF or do I put washout in my wing. Any full scale aircraft has it. Just walk along the trailing edge of any real aircraft and you will see that the trailing edge rises towart the tip of the wing. Why, so it will stall at the root first, not at the tip of the wing. If it stalls at the tip first then you loose lift on that side causing the other wings lift to create on great moment arm inverting the aircraft and in an instant your reaction is to pull up, but because you are inverted, pulling up is going straight into the ground. Now, if it stalls at the root of the wing first and the stall then works it way up the the tip of the wing, the nose will drop putting you right back in a position to take control. (not inverted). Any good scale kit will have wash out tabs on the wing ribs for this purpose, Typically 2 degrees of negative incidence at the tip of the wing compared to the root.
If you disagree, I hope you find great pleasure in building or assembling losts of perfactly straight wings on wing jigs that stall! because of no Wash Out.

With new pilots I teach stick to the low wing. When the aircraft is comming at you ( stick to the low wing is opposite and will keep the wings level ). Better than turning your back on the plane. After practice it will become instintive.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:44 PM
John Raymond

When I returned to the hobby one of the best pilots at our club, who is a super nice person, but does not train new pilots or fly their planes, Maiden or not, showed me the technique he uses and I now use as well as other flyers I have shown how to:

Select a position nearest the downwind end of runway to allow for max take off and landing roll.

When on final adjust your glide path to where the plane will touch down in front of you hint: come in slightly higher than normal then relax or give down elevator to put the plane at an angle that will touch down in front of you on the runway. Your plane will still be flying and maneuverable with enough speed to make corrections if needed.

Just when wheels are 12" or so off ground give very gentle up to break the descent for landing

release up as soon as wheels touch to prevent "bouncing" and roll out, If I miss touching in front of me I usually will go around and do it again if our pattern is not busy.

The beauty of this technique is you can adjust the height of your approach for wind conditions, lower for calm, higher for windy and maintain the same groundspeed and have control of your plane at all times (no stall landings that the wind can push up your plane etc etc Just takes practice

I don't fly warbirds or jets and I know or see they have a different technique but the above works great for my sport and acro planes

Old 09-01-2011, 08:57 PM
gsoav8r
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: Villa

The point that I am trying to emphasize is that the human body ability to estimate the safe air speed of a model decreases drastically the closer the plane is to flying directly toward you. Many believe that your depth perception will help you. If you google Depth Perception you will find that it is about 17 feet. Yes, feet. When the plane is landing near to directly in front of you, left to right or right to left, you have the best view to help you estimate the safe air speed. I have stalled it into the ground HARD many times in my 39 years of flying RC, and have noticed that this usually happens when the plane is very far from me; the angle between my line if sight and the plane path is very small.
The point your making is 100% correct. Its also why I suggest people land within +/-25 feet of themselves (or as close as possible). If Im training someone, its a must.
I also suggest people to do a slow fly-by before attempting a landing to reset their depth perception of the model. When flying high or far out for several minutes Ive found that the brain tends to forget the relative size of any model and a simple fly-by lets the brain readjust. With my models that have retracts I use a 'gear check pass' to reset my depth perception.

The field we have is long enough that regardless of where the pilot is standing trainers and most sport planes don't have trouble with the +/-25 feet rule.
But when flying some of my faster birds, Ive been known to stand at the center pilot station for takeoff and then walk down to a different pilot station for landing.

Simply put I stand in the most advantageous spot as possible for takeoff and landings.

Cheers.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:03 PM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Villa, If you believe that one thing is always the culprit, ie misjudging airspeed, you are mostlikely wrong. If you believe that it is often the case, you could be on to something.

Like someone has already mentioned sink rate and elevator stick position is your best indcation of "performance" (not speed as stallspeed is relative to temperature, humidity and air pressure). I use a slight fixed back pressure on the elevator untill in ground effect then tease the ground untill touch down.

I always like to take beginners to the flight station nearest the landing threshold for their first landings. I also suggest that they use that strategy untill they become well seasoned.

I believe you are correct about landing in front of yourself as being helpful in judging your landings.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:21 PM
psb667

Yep thats a stall. But as most pilots never make a mistake it must be the wind.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:42 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The point that I am trying to emphasize is that the human body ability to estimate the safe air speed of a model decreases drastically the closer the plane is to flying directly toward you. Many believe that your depth perception will help you. If you google Depth Perception you will find that it is about 17 feet. Yes, feet. When the plane is landing near to directly in front of you, left to right or right to left, you have the best view to help you estimate the safe air speed. I have stalled it into the ground HARD many times in my 39 years of flying RC, and have noticed that this usually happens when the plane is very far from me; the angle between my line if sight and the plane path is very small.

Agreed. I fly a final approach just like I would with a full size plane: trim the elevator for a desired final approach speed. This is an airspeed less than what most rc sport flyers trim their elevator for. And yes, elevator trim settings need to be moved for different flight conditions. Most rc sport fliers trim the elevator for full power level flight and never touch it again. Experiment with what this slower final approach speed is for your plane. Probably requiring 1/3 throttle. Now trim for level slow flight. Get used to flying the plane at this reduced power setting/slower airspeed. Limit your bank angle to approx. 30 degrees. Fly your downwind leg and base at this speed/power setting. Roll out on final and leave the elevator alone and reduce the power a few clicks. The plane should start to descent but maintain the same airspeed. Adjust the throttle until the descent rate appears to get you to your landing aim point. If it looks like you are going to land short, add a few clicks of power - not elevator. If you feel the landing is going to be long, reduce the power a few clicks. A strong headwind will require a few more clicks of power (to decrease your descent since your ground speed is going to be slower.) Don't reduce the power until your are ready to flare. If your landing speed is still too fast, repeat this entire procedure over with an even lower power setting. I can fly my stick around the pattern at approx. 1/4 power.

Just like Villa says, it is very hard to accurately perceive your airspeed when the plane is coming at you at a large distance. Instead, set the power and elevator trim to a known position which will determine your descent rate. Your descent rate will appear excessive in a headwind - so just add more power to reduce your descent rate as you fly to your aimpoint. And to piggyback on Villa's concept, I think many beginners get on final with a headwind, pull the power to idle, see the descent rate increase, so they pull back on the elevator and experience a stall.

As you might have noticed, THIS IS MY FAVORITE concept to discuss and teach, to both full scale pilots and rc fliers. It is much easier for the full scale pilots to figure it out SINCE they are SITTING in the PLANE.

Kurt

Kurt
Old 09-02-2011, 04:35 AM
Lnewqban

Every now and then I hear someone at the field mention that they crashed during a landing because “THE WIND GOT THEM”. This looks like a strong downdraft pushed the plane into the ground. That ever happen to you? Since I always insist on determining the cause of every one of my crashes, I kept questioning that “THE WIND GOT ME” reason, since I used it also.
What happens sometimes, when landing against steady headwind, is that the velocity of the wind close to the ground is drastically reduced up to zero next to the ground, due to friction.

Hence, the wind speed that is sufficient to sustain flight at 4 or 5 feet of altitude, is simply not there at 2 feet above ground.

In those cases, the wing does not stall, but the lift that it generates is less than the weight of the plane, and the thing just drops over the strip (remember that lift depends on the square of the air speed).

That is the reason for the advice of keeping the ground speed high when landing against high winds.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50051.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	1656429  
Old 09-02-2011, 06:11 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: psb667

Yep thats a stall. But as most pilots never make a mistake it must be the wind.
"Igot hit! Damned radio!"
Old 09-02-2011, 07:19 AM
Villa

I'm glad to see that a few of you have taken the time to understand the points that I am trying to make and agree with me. Thank you for that. The majority seem to have missed the whole thing and merely go on to describe how they land. That is life. Enjoy the sport. I know I do.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:22 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My suggestion only applies if you don't mind doing wheel landings. Fly your model with a slight amount of down trim dialed in during your landing approach. Stay off the elevator and use throttle management to ascend or descend during the approach. Keep the wings level with airleron and the nose straight with rudder. If your short of the threshold raise the throttle and if too high lower the throttle. Your flying an imaginary glide slope and at first your approach may look like a roller coaster ride. This is normal and allow yourself for aborting a few approaches. When aborting advanced the throttle slowly and fly down the runway gathering airspeed lost during your approach. Repeat the process again until your glideslope resembles the high side of a triangle. That being a straigh line which is angled. Once this pattern is attained you will reach the point where the main gear is parallel to the ground and is losing altitude gradually. The point of landing is fixed either in front of of you or past you at a distance of about twenty feet. The mains should touch down with sufficient flying speed to keep the horizontal parallel to the ground. Reduce your throttle to idle and allow the plane to bleed of airsppeed during which the stabilizer will slowly come down on its own. Once the tailwheel touches the runway apply some up elevator to assist in braking. At no time during this wheel landing should you apply up elevator. This is easier said than done but it works for me and others.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:16 AM
jquid

I'm glad to see that a few of you have taken the time to understand the points that I am trying to make and agree with me. Thank you for that. The majority seem to have missed the whole thing and merely go on to describe how they land. That is life. Enjoy the sport. I know I do.
I think what people might be saying is they have not had the "wind got it" experience. Reading through all of them most have different approaches (ha ha). As I would assume the people at your field do. Some have a as long as I got it down in one piece, others want to be spot on.

So in the case of landing, if you do not maintain speed or land correctly, yes I can see that your plane could/would just fall out of the sky. Most people do not practice landings, just the flying around part.

I read a book called "Proficient Flying", it covers landings very well. Basically use the elevator to adjust the attitude of the plane. Then use the throttle for ALTITUDE. You decrease throttle while maintaining a correct landing attitude to settle it down while under power.

The book also tells you to practice slow flight with your plane. Do this landing technique high up and see at what attitude your plane will stall. So when landing you don't stall. Some people will just come in high speed and chop the throttle. That to me is an uncontrolled landing. Come in too high with not enough power, guess what, you will fall out of the sky. Come in too low and fast, you go around or put it off the end. Maybe a gust of wind comes along just as the plane is already slowing, and at idle. Now - The wind got it!!! and it did, but due to the pilot not landing under power at a constant/proper attitude. The plane needs to be moving forward under power, nose up because if a gust comes along, it is like hitting the brakes right above the runway. Then hit the throttle and torque roll the plane into the ground.

As for downwind landings, who says you will not lose an engine on a downwind leg? You need to know how your plane handles. So it is ok to practice that. Remember to practice the slow flight up high. You can see how your plane handles the downwind leg this way. Can you keep the speed up and make a u turn? maybe, maybe not, but you can do it a few mistakes high.

Keep an eye out for how people come in. do they control their landings, or just come around chop it, and glide in while ballooning up and down. Or do they come in under low throttle, keeping the nose high and touchdown right where they want to?

One more thing it think is kind of funny. Watch for dead sticks. Most people hit the runway nearly right in front of them. Give the same guy power on landing and he is off the end, or too short. Just something I had noticed over the years.

just my .02

Old 09-02-2011, 10:04 AM
TruBlu02

This is one topic that seems to bring out more techniques than any other maneuver. It seems almost everyone has their own method of handling the final approach. Some of them seem crazy to me but if they work then by all means go for it! The one consistant thing i have noticed though from proficient flyers is consistant and accurate landings. Almost always right in fromt of the pilot. Even with skilled flyers there almost always is small variations between techniques.

This carries over to full scale as well. In all my full scale flying time I have flown with quite a few different instructors with many different techniques for flying a good approach but they all ended with the same result: a safe landing.

I have learned a great deal on these forums and in my full scale career about the art of landing. I have picked out the pieces that I like to form my own way of doing things.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:51 AM
tony0707

hi
if your plane drops out on finalyou have a throttle or idle issuethe idle must be set to fly the plane to the ground ( set it with a tach-average two cycle glo engine is about 3-4000 RPMS )and varies as does the wind blowing on the plane-more wind -higher idle-no wind-lowest possible idle
mark in your mind were you reduced the throttle ( downwind-base or final ) if to fast coming in you can now go around and reduce the throttle before or after that spot to control your air speed-you will be developing a feel for the planes decent rate
after flying for years you will just know if your final -,feels right ,if it does not -do not hesitate to go around( very important judgement )so you have another chance to get it perfect (NEVER-force the plane down )
you might have the best flight possible if you blow the landing it is trashed and open to criticism from the boys ( OH NO !! )
landing in front of you will always give you the best look at your plane to land -, bringing the plane back at your feet is a must or the landing is blown that is easily done when you land in front of yourself-, less than that is not acceptable ( will need to take the long walk )
every type of plane you fly will require different type of skills that you must learn for that given plane i make notes -,with 20 planes so i know what each plane requires
i fly one plane a lot for a long period of time -so i get back into knowing the planes flying characteristics
i will only bring-, one plane, to fly in a day for just that reason( my trainers policy 20 years ago ) learned early on not to bring more than one plane out in a day-,allows you to get good flying the one you brought -instead of flying two planes so-so -get to master one
tip: most planes will start a slight rocking motion just before the stall you need to identify that motion and just- bleep the throttle -to increase your forward motion to save the plane
when a foot or two above the runway you need to be sure you input some up elevator-so your wings are parallel to the ground or just slightly nose up
due to constantly changing wind -light sky conditions and your vision limitations (glare-,plane disappears for a moment )you are always adjusting to the conditions present on a given day
spending the rest of your flying days getting your landings right -is a lot of what this hobby is about-,a good landing will always make for a rewarding flight
i am flying super successfully in this hobby for the last 20 years (had a very great trainer )
its all a great bunch of fun when you get it right and constantly challenging-which greatly prevent the hobby from ever getting boring
best regards tony
Old 09-02-2011, 01:58 PM
Villa

Hi flycatch
Thanks for an excellent description of your landing method. About 6 months ago I designed and built a foam flying wing with electric drive and tricycle landing gear. A number of other members at our field had similar flying wings, but only my wing had landing gear. It weighs just over one pound so it reacts very different during the landing. If I cut the throttle it practically stops since it has little inertia and the air is just as heavy as with larger planes, so I come in with a little more throttle than"normal". Since the plane has no rudders I can only do loops and rolls. So I do many landings. Maybe 5-10 on every flight. I have never flown it inverted because it "feels" unstable. I'm certain it can do it but I don't want the stress of doing it. Maybe one day, real high. Or not.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:48 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

'the wind got me' is an universal excuse for a messed up landing. We all make mistakes and it's sometimes easier to blame something else for it.
But when the wind is gusty, the best pilot can crash his plan, especially with a crosswind. If you are slow, your ailerons are less effective, it can flip you right over.
The mistake many pilots make is to stand too close to the runway and look head on to their planes. It makes it easier to control the direction, but the speed can not be seen from that angle of view.
So what I see myself and other doing is to get too slow and stall a few feet above the runway. The right elevator input is the key to a successful landing. The throttle shut be at idle before hitting ground effect.
It all take practice and we are all constantly learning...
Old 09-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Ken Kehlet
My Feedback: (89)

Good Landing: When the model is about 3 feet off the grass or runway, FOCUS your Eyes on THE MAIN GEAR Wheels and start feeding in more and more elevator.

If you are looking at the TOTAL AIRPLANE, you will hit the ground much harder on a tail dragger and hopefully bounce back into the air. On a Tri-Gear model, you will hit on the nose gear, bending the gear and breaking the prop.

Try it.

Ken
Old 09-03-2011, 06:44 AM
Villa

Now that many of us are thinking about the landing problem I would like to share an interesting experience. About 10 years ago I decided to design and build a Flying Lawnmower. Others had already done that and there were a few balsa kits available. I had already scratched off building a balsa kit after seeing a balsa Flying Lawnmower making a poor landing. It was totaled. After I discovered building planes from Coroplast corrugated plastic material, that others had pioneered, known as SPADS, I realized that a Flying Lawnmower using Coroplast was very possible. When I was doing the maiden flight, during the first landing, I got that sickening feeling just before touchdown, that the plane was going to be totaled. It appeared to be falling terrible fast. I merely held on and the landing ended up being as smooth as silk. I did a few more landings and had that dreaded feeling one or two more times, but soon it disappeared. Over the next few days I kept wondering why I had that feeling of doom during the landing. On my next day of flying I made a few flights but the dreaded doom did not appear again during the landing. Then I talked my flying buddy into taking it up. He discovered that same dreaded doom during the first few landings also. After a lot of thought I decided that the dreaded doom was some type of optical illusion resulting from the fact that the Flying Lawnmower does not have wings, it is a lifting body, and that this missing item was causing our brain to decide there was something wrong. Apparently during the landing we receive information from the AOA of the wings to judge the landing.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:31 AM
grosbeak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a newbie like myself this is all good stuff. At the moment, landing is my favourite part of the flight, so I'm forever doing touch-and-gos in an effort to improve. I don't believe that practice will make perfect - at least not always perfect - but Ido grease a landing now and then, and it's happening more and more often.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:29 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone mentioned dead stick landing, it does seem that I have more focused attention when doing a dead stick. I usually do well with them, but I shoot lots of touch and goes when I get the chance to fly. Like someone else says, "the landing is never optional".
Old 09-07-2011, 09:03 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

One way to help determine air speed when landing is to pay attention to your SINK RATE. Assuming the plane is more or less level it will SINK faster the slower it is going (in relation to the wind it is in). A short blip of throttle will move it forward and slow the sink rate.
I teach newbies to make long slow centerline passes and slow em down a bit each pass. Start 15 feet high work down to one. have 'em cut the throttle and OPPS they landed :-)
Old 09-08-2011, 06:23 AM
Villa

I know that there are many here who do not agree with my first statement. Go ahead, read it again. To those I ask: If you fly from a defined runway, like a grass field that is frequently mowed, have you ever landed short, in the tall grass, when it was your intend to land on the cut grass runway? Ever wonder why that happened? I saw a large plane do that at our field just a few days ago. Our 150 yard long runway, by 75 yard wide runway was right there, yet the experienced RC pilot landed short, right into the tall grass. He missed the WHOLE runway. I have done the same thing many times. He thought he was over the field. I was watching this plane land, and I too thought it was going to be a good landing. Why was the pilot wrong? Why was I wrong? Come up with an answer that you believe is reasonable and explains what happened. Go ahead, you explain it! It is my opinion that when the plane is far away from you, you have no idea where it is located, relative to a fixed object, such as the beginning of the runway. You have to learn to compensate for this human inability to determine the location of our RC plane relative to another object at a "far" distance. I do it by coming in for a landing "relatively high" at the end of the runway, and then aiming to touch down near to "directly in front of me". I look forward to any comments on this.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:19 AM
OzMo

Villa,
HI, Yep I agree. I have landed short some, hit the fence a time or two, and the tree atthe north end of our field....[:@]
I bet you use your throttle to control your altitude to get to your target touchdown spot[8D].
Old 09-08-2011, 10:23 AM
OzMo

Glider pilots use a method that Dave Thornberg refers to as the "magic window" . This is a spot you need to fly through before the final turn to the runway that lines up the approach. This is often the same area (distance out ,altitude) an instructor will have the student chop the throttle to make a landing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.