Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Lanier Mariner 40 MKII >> REPAIR <<

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Lanier Mariner 40 MKII >> REPAIR <<

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Pistol Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lanier Mariner 40 MKII >> REPAIR <<

Received PM Skydanz. Will go out on Tuesday. Replied to PM but unsure if sent as Im getting an error page after pressing OK to send.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Pistol Pete

Nice colors...they blend nicely. What are they?
Old 09-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Skydanz
My Feedback: (1)

They are Ultracote Cub yellow, Monokote metallic plum and Monokote white trim. I had the Lusterkote plum paint and cub yellow so the cowl and pontoons matched pretty well.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:53 PM
Wine Country Flyer
My Feedback: (5)

Hey Pistol PeteGreat repair job on the Mariner. I'm wondering if you could send me a paper cutout of a rib? My Mariner just had a dumb thumb situation that pretty much totaled one wing. The fuse didn't get much damage. Got it almost ready. But I'll have to build a new wing half. I'll send what ever you think it's worth for your troubles. [email protected]
Thanks-John
Old 09-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Skydanz
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Wine Country Flyer

Hey Pistol PeteGreat repair job on the Mariner. I'm wondering if you could send me a paper cutout of a rib? My Mariner just had a dumb thumb situation that pretty much totaled one wing. The fuse didn't get much damage. Got it almost ready. But I'll have to build a new wing half. I'll send what ever you think it's worth for your troubles. [email protected]
Thanks-John
Hey John,
All the ribs are identical except for maybe the lightening holes and the area where the pontoon blocks go. The four inboard ribs are light ply and the rest balsa. If you still have half the wing, you should be able to trace one out. If you still have a complete half, you'd be better off cutting the broken side off at the centerline. Build the second half and drill into the existing joiner for some 1/4" dowels. Works just fine in lieu of a ply joiner. Make sure you remove the covering from the good side. Water gets in everywhere and the ribs will warp as they dry.

I just finished my third rebuild in ten years of flying it. Each time, the plane has flown as well as or even better than before. If there's any help I can offer, fell free to ask.

Don
Old 09-12-2011, 12:34 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: Pistol Pete

Pete, Any chance I could buy one of those windshields or even borrow the mold?
Send me name and address via PM. Glad to help out a fellow ''Mariner''.

Anyone know of a successful UC mod so it can be flown from a runway? I've been toying with something similar to how the Seamaster has it setup.
Ive seen a photo of a non-retractable but removable. Need to dig out AMA magazines and find month/year published. Im guessing he reinforced inside with ply and ran a tube athwartships through the hull. Well, thats how I would do it. Any water that gets into tube when going hydro, just goes out the other side and never in. It seemed to be located pretty much at CofG. Also had a removable tail wheel. Another pending project

FOUND IT...Model Aviation Feb 06 (page 78)

Once again thanks for compliments. Mariner right now is regoing a stab reconstruction. Water found its way in and also found hidden damage. Going to completely skin with wood and paint (lustrekote?) rather than monokote.

My firewall also came off. [X(] Hanging by carb rod. LUCKILY it was at the bench. Thinking of redoing the whole pod depending on what is left. Still have 3 months left to fly...in warm Wx.

Yes, I've seen it. Matter in fact the Seamaster has the same setup I think. A "Ol timer" told me I should do it the same way with the Neptune, but most that know me- know I don't do things the easy way. Everything has to be a project. I know having working retracts will make it all worth it in the end and it will be a real crowd pleaser to see a seaplane come from the water right up on the shore and vice versa. Also it will have seperate flap function.

I'll upload pics and video when the plane is done. Right now I'm in the middle of re-enforcing the wing and making a landing gear housing out of plywood etc. Fuse, stabilizer, elevator, rudder, floats and ailerons are already covered in Luftwaffe Colors and I covered it in Mono Flat Sky blue and Olive. Rudder was done in Cub Yellow Ultra. Tail wheel was taken from a old PTS Mustang I once had. Retracts are the E-flite 60-120 and will be encased into the wing.

You did a fantastic job on your Lanier Mariner. I'd baby it if I were you.

Pete
Old 09-12-2011, 11:44 AM
Wine Country Flyer
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Skydanz

Thanks-John
Hey John,
All the ribs are identical except for maybe the lightening holes and the area where the pontoon blocks go. The four inboard ribs are light ply and the rest balsa. If you still have half the wing, you should be able to trace one out. If you still have a complete half, you'd be better off cutting the broken side off at the centerline. Build the second half and drill into the existing joiner for some 1/4'' dowels. Works just fine in lieu of a ply joiner. Make sure you remove the covering from the good side. Water gets in everywhere and the ribs will warp as they dry.

I just finished my third rebuild in ten years of flying it. Each time, the plane has flown as well as or even better than before. If there's any help I can offer, fell free to ask.

Don
Don-
I'm not anywheres near the craftsman you are, but I'll give it a shot. I love the Mariner. (Wish they still made 'em) This one was given to me after the guy crashed it the second time. He fattened up the mast after breaking it off in the last crash, so he thined out the two pieces in front that hold the wing on. So on my dumb thumb crash they broke off. And I think I'll have to cut back to that part and figure something out. I built a right wing for my 4 * 60. But that was a kit and I had the plans, so this will be quite a bit tougher for me. But nothing ventured nothing gained, right? Thanks again for your reply.
John
Old 09-13-2011, 11:09 AM
Pistol Pete

I'm wondering if you could send me a paper cutout of a rib? ...Thanks-John
John...can do...PM me address.

Don...windshield went out today via USPO priority mail. Had to bend to fit but did not crease. Lets see how the voyage goes and sorry for delay.

Pete...do share photos and or videos. If I was to go the retracting route, definitely from the hull like a grumman. Would have to make my own as well.

I once had a link to all types of retractable landing gear in GIF format where you can see it in action. Anyone?