Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Double Mircale Switch RX and Ing

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 07:09 AM
Need for Speed-RCU
My Feedback: (57)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double Mircale Switch RX and Ing

I'm installing a Mircale Switch in an airplane and it is a dual switch type. I planned on using one for RX battery and other for Ingition battery. I'm using a 2.4 radio and new DLE 55. Do you think I will have any interfearance using the switch this way or better of having a seperate switch for the engine ingition? thx
Old 09-02-2011, 08:42 AM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

Default RE: Double Mircale Switch RX and Ing

Should be OK, but that's not the way I would go. Most people, including myself, who fly 50cc and larger airplanes, use a dual battery / dual switch setup on the receiver and a separate switch for the ignition. A dual battery setup for the receiver is cheap insurance.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:00 PM
Need for Speed-RCU

Yes, you are right and I plan to go that route. Maybe just not thinking. Looking at battery backer from EMS. Can't beat the added insurnace of another battery on the RX. thanks
Old 09-02-2011, 02:43 PM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

Skip the battery backer, no need for it.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:55 AM
Need for Speed-RCU

Is it better to y harness the battery packs together or just plug into a spare port on the RX? In this case wouldn't they work against each other of if I had a pack failure, a bad cell could bring down both packs. Using a battery backer would elminate this condition. What would be the best route to go?
Old 09-04-2011, 06:17 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Need for Speed-RCU

Is it better to y harness the battery packs together or just plug into a spare port on the RX? In this case wouldn't they work against each other of if I had a pack failure, a bad cell could bring down both packs. Using a battery backer would elminate this condition. What would be the best route to go?
You don't want to Y Harness the battery packs together.You need to be able to charge each pack separately.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:15 AM
Need for Speed-RCU

I agree as you must be able to charge each battery seperately. So what is the best method? What is everyone else doing? That is why I started this thread. I wasn't sure to to plug two different battery packs into the rec and have a seperate switch for each one. I'll be able to charge each pack. Plug one into the battery port and other into a spare servo port. This will just double up my pack output in current? If I lose a battery or a cell it would more than likely bring that pack voltage way down and the other pack would bring me in. Is this how everyone is doing it or just plan to get a battery backer or isolation device that switches between pack #1 and pack #2.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:15 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Need for Speed-RCU

I agree as you must be able to charge each battery seperately. So what is the best method? What is everyone else doing? That is why I started this thread. I wasn't sure to to plug two different battery packs into the rec and have a seperate switch for each one. I'll be able to charge each pack. Plug one into the battery port and other into a spare servo port. This will just double up my pack output in current? If I lose a battery or a cell it would more than likely bring that pack voltage way down and the other pack would bring me in. Is this how everyone is doing it or just plan to get a battery backer or isolation device that switches between pack #1 and pack #2.
I connect each battery and switch harness to a separate port on the rec. Some people use Power Boxes or other similar devices that allow you to connect two separate batteries for the servos, a separate battery for the rec, and regulate the voltage to each channel.

The more expensive the aircraft, the more redundancy you may want.