Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Tapered-Bore Engine Break-in - Upgraded

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Tapered-Bore Engine Break-in - Upgraded

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 02:26 AM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Tapered-Bore Engine Break-in - Upgraded

[quote]ORIGINAL:
An example? In a two-stroke glow engine; like those discussed in this thread, the piston out-side is cooled by the cylinder fins, to which heat is transferred through the very thin oil-film of oil between them, to the sleeve and then to the cylinder casing which bears the fins. Again, the very thin oil-film of oil, about one thousandth on an inch thick, just transfers the heat; not carries it out with it.
The bottom and inside of the piston is cooled by the fresh fuel mixture, mainly through evaporation of the methanol component in the fuel.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:28 AM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: DarZeelon

Of-course, 378.

But it still is the major contributor to cooling...
Oil does very little.

In any internal combustion engine, the fuel's main job is to burn and to provide power.

The engine's job is to make power from the fuel. Heat is just a useless product that is necessary to remove, both by airflow on the cylinder fins and by the latent heat of evaporation of the fuel's components.
The oil? Its job is lubrication.

Hey Dar, I may have all this wrong. The piston is pushed down by a force. The force is from the expanding air trapped above the piston. The air is expanding due to the massive temperature increase. The temp increase is caused by the burning of the fuel. If this is true, then the heat is the needed product to make the piston go down. So, does the energy in fuel itself do the work, expanding air due to heat, a combination of the two, something else?

Oil content? The car guys use less and there engines are run harder. Are we airplane guys ungrounded in engine tuning or is there another reason for more oil in our plane fuel? Never did understan this.

Thanks, MikeB
Old 09-04-2011, 07:31 AM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mr Cox,
When you reply in a thread, it is advisable to first read through the posts to fully understand what is being discussed.
In post #337 Brian mentioned, toward the end of it, an engine with an iron piston running in a steel sleeve.
This is what the sentence you quoted relates to and it is definitely not a tapered-bore engine.
Dar, I think you should take your own advice and read what I said. I mentioned that this engine was almost impossible to turn through the pinch but you focussed on the fact that it had a cast iron piston in a steel liner. Both facts are true, it's a lapped piston engine but with a pinch. Unlike the conclusion you jumped to, it definitely does have a tapered bore, in fact I measured it as a .05mm (.002") taper from BDC to TDC.

The fact that, once I got the engine to start, it behaved perfectly normally with no trace of strain proved (to my satisfaction at least) that hydrodynamic and hydrostatic pressures kept it from destroying itself.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:16 AM
DarZeelon

ORIGINAL: WMB

Hey Dar, I may have all this wrong. The piston is pushed down by a force. The force is from the expanding air trapped above the piston. The air is expanding due to the massive temperature increase. The temp increase is caused by the burning of the fuel. If this is true, then the heat is the needed product to make the piston go down. So, does the energy in fuel itself do the work, expanding air due to heat, a combination of the two, something else?

Oil content? The car guys use less and there engines are run harder. Are we airplane guys ungrounded in engine tuning or is there another reason for more oil in our plane fuel? Never did understand this.

Thanks, MikeB
That is correct, Mike.

It is through heat (and expansion) that an engine makes its power, but it is only between 20% and 26% of that heat; that is actually used by the engine to spin the prop.
The remainder of that heat is just excess that the engine needs to get rid of...

Getting rid of the heat is apparently not the reason plane engines need more oil.
After all, gas guys easily get away with just 2-3%, or even less.

Brian,

Because I also sometimes err in this, i.e. not reading entire posts, I can comment to others that do....

Aren't most iron-steel engines built with a parallel sleeve? I supposed this before hand.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:18 AM
Mr Cox

Thanks for clarifying.

I'll stay out of this now, its beginning to resemble trapped animals that just snap at anything...
Old 09-04-2011, 09:19 AM
DarZeelon

Oil content? The car guys use less and there engines are run harder. Are we airplane guys ungrounded in engine tuning or is there another reason for more oil in our plane fuel? Never did understand this.

Thanks, MikeB
That is correct, Mike.

It is through heat (and expansion) that an engine makes its power, but it is only between 20% and 26% of that heat; that is actually used by the engine to spin the prop.
The remainder of that heat is just excess that the engine needs to get rid of...

Getting rid of the heat is apparently not the reason plane engines need more oil.

Brian,

Because I also sometimes err in this, i.e. not reading entire posts, I can comment to others that do....

Aren't most iron-steel engines built with a parallel sleeve? I supposed this before hand.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:41 AM
pilotchute
My Feedback: (29)

DarZeelon,

I thank you for your knowledge and willingness to endure the sarcasm and slander offered by those "experts" that oppose your view, for no good deed goes undpunished. There is nothing difficult or magical about the technique you have collated and presented here. I, for one choose to follow your advise. Others, of course, are free to choose their own path.

This forum seems to be diseased. Many, many, threads evolve into animosity. I have not seen this level of behavior on most of the forums in which I have participated. You must have been aware of the liklihood you would have to defend your original post. Thank you for continuing to support your position while at the same time not lowering your behavior to that of others.

Whenever I see a post from you I eagerly read it and know that I wll not be fuming with rage when finished.

Dick
Old 09-04-2011, 10:23 AM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: pilotchute

DarZeelon,

I thank you for your knowledge and willingness to endure the sarcasm and slander offered by those ''experts'' that oppose your view, for no good deed goes undpunished. There is nothing difficult or magical about the technique you have collated and presented here. I, for one choose to follow your advise. Others, of course, are free to choose their own path.

This forum seems to be diseased. Many, many, threads evolve into animosity. I have not seen this level of behavior on most of the forums in which I have participated. You must have been aware of the liklihood you would have to defend your original post. Thank you for continuing to support your position while at the same time not lowering your behavior to that of others.

Whenever I see a post from you I eagerly read it and know that I wll not be fuming with rage when finished.

Dick
+1
Old 09-04-2011, 10:29 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oil content? The car guys use less and there engines are run harder. Are we airplane guys ungrounded in engine tuning or is there another reason for more oil in our plane fuel? Never did understan this.

Thanks, MikeB

My understanding is that it's because we idle our engines far more than we have them screaming, whereas aircraft engines are always roaring along at partial throttle. So having a high oil content can cause our engines to bog down, load up, flood, cut out and other assorted shenanigans. Also, we have near 0 load on ours at idle, aircraft engines have a constant load. It may also have something to do with cars needing much crisper throttle response. All that oil in the fuel tends to bog the motor down and make it want to load up, saps power too.

There may also be something to us running an air filter, so we don't need the oil to handle the dirt that gets sucked in, but that may not be the case.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:49 AM
DarZeelon

Dick and Mike,

Thank you for your support.
The Israeli forum that I participate in, also has some people who very loudly demonstrate their disagreement, with some of the things I write.
I sometimes need to work very hard to prove them wrong.

So, it is not specific to this forum...

Some of those that openly disagree with me, are very knowledgeable persons.
I would like a chance to meet some day with Brian Hampton, for instance...

I am quite sure it will not turn into a fist-fight.

I quite often, also in the local forum, quote material that he wrote and I respect him.
But I disagree with some things that he writes, when I know I am right.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:57 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: [Deleted]

Okay, the complaints are mounting as to the tone and arguing that it taking place here. A couple of posts have been edited for the worst of it. It's hard to stay hands off of what people post when this nonsense goes on and on and on and on and on....

Bottom line, this is supposed to be fun and inviting to ALL members, regardless of experience levels. Everyone should feel totally free to post and not cringe if they had a typo, or a different procedure, or just whatever.

The sniping and any other nonsense needs to stop here. No last words, parting shots, etc please.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:07 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Barry, there seems to be three solid camps here, the misinformed, the uninformed and the self informed and in 358 posts not one soul has changed camps. I was sorry to see this thing come back to life. The ones who read their engines instructions are the most informed.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:42 PM
freakingfast

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

The ones who read their engines instructions are the most informed.
Or mislead in some cases, while intending to do what's best for their engine's life and performance. Not all manuals are correct....but most.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Recycled Flyer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats a strange thing to say since gasoline has no lubricating properties as such, its more that gas engines tend to be larger in size and so can physically support needle rollers on the big and small ends thereby eliminating the most critical oil dependant sliding part of the engine. And the finning on these engines seems to be proportionally much larger in area than its smaller glow cousins.

Not since Bill Atwood was a boy back in the 40's and you may find that parallel sleeves in model engines only work with ringed pistons and tapered sleeves work with lapped ones.

Cheers mate

Old 09-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Recycled Flyer

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

................ and in 358 posts not one soul has changed camps.
Hi Dave,
over on the previous page my post 334 kinda cruels this one, I did previously subscribe to the rich and slow system as described by a certain brands instruction booklet but was told by a very knowledgable engine builder to replicate Dar's advice.

Why? In a nutshell you are suppossed to prepare the engine for its intended run conditions by replicating them as safely as possible and here over lubricating with a higher percentage of oil at run revs is the closest method possible, along with dropping the prop diameter to simulate the lack of load in the air.

To me running rich and slow does not prepare an engine for anything.

Thanks.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:25 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

All this while the manufacturers are trying to make the engines to where no break in is required. They literally fly out of the box?
Old 09-05-2011, 07:24 AM
blw

The sloppy rich and under 4000 rpm 10 minute run works on Saitos. You can hear them start to run smoother. I would never put a new Saito on a model and then begin the break in.

Dave- I hear ya. I thought this had died too.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:36 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Barry, you know how I break the Saito break in into 10 minute 1,000 rpm incriments, quite often during the 5,000 rpm 10 minute run the engine will slowly accelerate to 5,500 and then from 6,000 to about 6,200 during the 6,000 rpm 10 minute run. After that there is hardly any increase.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:44 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dar is right the fuel does a significant amount of cooling, more than the oil.  But not all of the cooling is in the crankcase.  Much of the fuel does not vaporise until it is in the cylinder.  Also a rich mixture does not burn as hot as a lean one.

On the nitro funny cars and dragsters all of the cooling is from the fuel.  They don't overheat unless they have a lean run.  No oil involved in cooling other than by reducing friction.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:11 AM
DarZeelon

ORIGINAL: Recycled Flyer

Thats a strange thing to say since gasoline has no lubricating properties as such, its more that gas engines tend to be larger in size and so can physically support needle rollers on the big and small ends thereby eliminating the most critical oil dependant sliding part of the engine. And the finning on these engines seems to be proportionally much larger in area than its smaller glow cousins.
Chris,

Some small specialty engines had needle bearing con-rods too.

The one I know about is the discontinued MVVS #3070 GRRT/GRFT (differing in either front, or rear induction).

The methanol in the fuel cools through evaporation, mostly when it is in the combustion chamber.
In the crankcase it cools through sheer mass. Methanol is used at about 2.4 times the rate of gasoline/petrol.

This is one of the reasons our glow engines have (and need) smaller cooling fins.

Your info on the lapped engines makes sense.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:14 AM
blw

Dave, I do the whole break in like you. But, I run a lot of wide open periods during that 40 minutes. You can hear when the engine likes it.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:14 PM
Recycled Flyer

Forgive my ignorance here but aren't all Saito's ringed piston engines with parallel bores?
Old 09-05-2011, 03:03 PM
blw

Yes, you are right about Saitos.