Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Magnum/ASP 108

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 08:55 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Magnum/ASP 108

Not sure but I think my ASP .91 liked the Enya #4 or maybe K&B high performance plug, not sure which it was.  Perhaps I will look and see what is on it tonight.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:04 AM
jstanton
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I bought the Magnum 108A off of a guy here on RC Universe and you can tell it is almost new. That is why I am running it a little rich now. I will be putting a 15x8 prop on it this weekend and taking it to the field to try it out. I think the glow plug I am using my be in the wrong heat range. Which is better for the engine. An OS-8 or an OS-3 glow plug. I have an evolution glow plug in it that says it is good for 2 and 4 stroke engines
Old 08-24-2011, 09:24 AM
Lovitlots

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi JS
The os 8 plug should be good enough. If you find the engine idle rpms drop when you remove the glow starter, check your idle needle adjustments and if you still can't get it to maintain rpm, then go to the next hotter plug. When you use the hotter plug make sure it isn't acting up and high speed. The next hotter plug may not be an os. There's so many brands out there and they all have their own scale for hot and cold. There's a question. Does anyone know of a chart that accurately compares the temp ranges of the different brands of plugs to each other? That would really help in selecting the correct plug for your own engine application.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:35 AM
jstanton

Thanks for the help. I will pickup a couple of OS#8 plugs today and give them a try. Right now I have only tested my 108 on the ground tied down on my plane. I am using the evolution glow plugs and I have a nice idle at 2300RPM and good transition to high end on 9000RPM using a MAS 15x6 prop. I have been told the 15x6 prop is not enough load for this engine and I plan on picking up a APC 15x8 prop today. I also am using Omega 10% fuel and IO will try 5% once I finish my 1/2 gallon on 10%.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:51 PM
NM2K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: DarZeelon

ORIGINAL: NM2K

The Sanye 1.08 was designed to top out in the high 8k rpm range. If the engine is running at over 9k rpm, it is under propped. Stick to 5% nitro or add a head shim to stop overheating in the summer. These are great engines and no, they are not OS clones.
Ed,

Are sure about the ASP not being cloned after the OS?

Take a look at the photos below. They have the same bore, stroke, bearings and appearance (except the carburettor and prop-driver).
They are very much clones.

I'm not trying to be a wise guy, Dar, but the first glaring difference is the exhaust port bolt pattern. The Sanye engine's use two retaining bolts, while the OS 1.08 uses three muffler retaining bolts.

Ed Cregger
Old 08-24-2011, 08:34 PM
DarZeelon

ORIGINAL: NM2K

I'm not trying to be a wise guy, Dar, but the first glaring difference is the exhaust port bolt pattern. The Sanye engine's use two retaining bolts, while the OS 1.08 uses three muffler retaining bolts.
Perhaps you are right, Ed.

My bad... I was not aware the OS1.08FSR had that humongous, three-bolt exhaust...

But then, the ASP does use the larger diameter, 20 mm crankshaft with huge bearings, so it is a 'hybrid clone' of the .91FSR and the 1.08FSR.

Maybe Altered can take a shot of the ASP 1.08's port?
Old 08-25-2011, 05:05 AM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

never use castor oil from the drug store. this is not degummed............use bakers AA castor oil or some castor from s&w fuels or sig fuels. it will gum up your engine and ruin it, in short order. the only thing that belongs in model nitro engines is clean fuel and after run oil. after run oil....use remingtion spray gun oil avail. at wal mart in the green and yellow can. prevents rust in bearings etc. 2 strokes ,right down the carb,just a shot, four strokers, right in the breather tube, flip it over five times or so.......RON
Old 08-25-2011, 07:01 AM
jstanton

Is Klotz castor from Tower Hobbies any good? Here is the link for it.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...C%2FB%3Er+oils
Old 08-25-2011, 07:41 AM
Sport_Pilot

this is not degummed
There is no such thing as degummed castor, it was just a marketing statment oft repeated.  Drug store castor is first pressed castor that has been tested for traces of ricin poisen.  It works just fine as it is the same as Bakers AA.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:54 AM
Lovitlots

Hi JS
The klotz castor is Klotz Bean oil. I've been using it for a year or more now and I mix it with the KL200 synthetic. My mixture is 9% castor and 9% synthetic. The trick is to mix in 2oz of fuel injection cleaner with each gallon of fuel. I have 3 yrs of running on the same glow plug using this formula and it's still going strong. To start my engines I just prime, add glow power and one or two back flips and the engine is running. I'm not so sure about the drug store oil though. There's a reason why they mark the castor as degummed for engine use. Stick with the degummed oils.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:17 AM
DarZeelon

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

There is no such thing as degummed castor, it was just a marketing statment oft repeated. Drug store castor is first pressed castor that has been tested for traces of ricin poisen. It works just fine as it is the same as Bakers AA.
True, Hugh.

What is commonly called 'degummed' castor oil, is simply oil from the first pressing of the beans. It is mostly ricinoleic acid.

The first pressing oil does contain only a very small percentage of the longer molecules that constitute 'gum', but no process is done (or needs to be done), to make this oil 'degummed'.
So, because 'to degum' is a verb that suggests an action is done on the oil, to make it 'degummed'; the term is misleading.

Castor oil used by leading glow fuel manufacturers is the 'first press' type, even though later pressing oils tend to cost less.
The problems that could arise from using castor oil of lesser quality, are sure to make any such manufacturer to 'go south' in a jiffy.

So, maybe this higher quality castor oil should instead be called 'gum free', or simply clean castor (I think Morgan use it already).

Castor oil from a drug store could be first press AA; but there is also a remote possibility that it might contain sugar, to improve its taste...
I don't thing your engine will like that sweet additive, though.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:25 AM
Sport_Pilot

There's a reason why they mark the castor as degummed for engine use. Stick with the degummed oils.
Yeah, the reason is to get your dollar. No gum in Bakers AA, some gum in A. The gum is from the pressed shells in the second pressing. Bakers A has a slight green cast from the gum. If you remove the gum from Bakers Ayou endupwith somethingworse than Bakers AA usually #1 industrial. The gum has noting to do with the castor congealing over time, that is just slow oxidation andcross linking ofvery long molecules. Eventually all of it will cross link and it would then be one really big molecule.

http://www.campbell-uv.com/castor.html
Old 08-25-2011, 11:28 AM
Sport_Pilot

Castor oil from a drug store could be first press AA; but there is also a remote possibility that it might contain sugar, to improve its taste...
I don't thing your engine will like that sweet additive, though.

I suppose that is possible, but my grandmother didn't use castor with sugar.  IMO it would have made it even more disgusting.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:12 PM
jstanton

I would like to thank each one of you for all the help everyone has been. This Magnum 108 is a awesome engine and I have it running just the way I like. I am using 10% Omega fuel, evolution glow plug and a MAS 15x8 prop. The engine starts very easy and I have a great 2200RPM idle and 8500RPM on the top end. My Escapde has unlimited verticle.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:33 AM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Glad to hear it Jim. Enjoy your engine and plane. Those 108's are great engines, and can be found at great prices, too.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:52 AM
jstanton

I know I have been looking at a dealer on the net that has them for $92.00 plus shipping. I just my pick up another even if I us it for parts
Old 09-05-2011, 03:41 PM
Sport_Pilot

Checked my ASP red head .91 and it had a Enya #4 glow plug in it.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:39 PM
DarZeelon

ORIGINAL: jstanton

I know I have been looking at a dealer on the net that has them for $92.00 plus shipping. I just my pick up another even if I us it for parts
Here you go, Jim.

[link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8987__A108A_Two_Stroke_Glow_Engine_.html]ASP S108A engine[/link].

It is even less than $92+shipping.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:03 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

FYI:
You can get the ASP 108 at Hobby King for about $90 + shipping.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:47 AM
ATVAlliance

ORIGINAL: Rcpilot

FYI:
You can get the ASP 108 at Hobby King for about $90 + shipping.
Can be had at HobbyPartz for 103.00, and free shipping.

Dont think I have ever ordered anything at HK that was less than 30 bucks to ship. So even though the HPtz is an initial higher list price...free shipping will probably make it cheaper overall.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:09 AM
jstanton

I just ordered an ASP S91A from Hobbypartz and it came priority mail in three days once it was shipped. The only thing about ordering ASP engines from Hobbypartz is the engines have no ID on them. They are true ASP engines just no marking that say they are. I just did a test run of the plan Jane S91A engine from Hobypartz and the engine was very easy to start. I only have one tank of 10% Omega fuel run through it but I am very happy with the engine

There are no instructions with the engine either[:'(] so I went on google and did a search for an instruction manual for a Magnum XLS 91 since they are the same engine. I downloaded the manual from global hobbies web site. The ondifference is the Magnum XLS 91 had a rear needle valve everything else was the same.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:37 AM
Adamsfly1
My Feedback: (3)

I have an OS 1.08 that i just bought that's like new but it's used Im running Koolpower 15% with a APC 16x4 wide blade prop and high end carb setting i started at 3 1/2 i didn"t touch the low end and useing a # 8 os plug . It started up just fine the high end needle is about 2 3/4 to3 out but my throttle servo was bad so im waiting for the weather to get better to try again . I have my 1.08 on an AeroWorks ProX260 .60-.90 size profile .
Old 04-22-2022, 02:37 PM
HernanT

Default El motor Magnum 108 XL. Que bujía lleva??

Tengo un motor magnum 108 XL. No sé que bujía lleva.