Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Fokker DRI Build Along

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Fokker DRI Build Along

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 05:26 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fokker DRI Build Along

Wow this thread is kickin lately

ARUP nice its always better to have 2 and yes post pics of the progress please love watching these go together.

MrBigg great to here you pulled the plane down from the rafters

Rampman welcome aboard. I know nothing about electric stuff at all really but I love to learn.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:08 PM
fritzdecat

Whoa I  almost forgot about this thread

Nice posts whole lotta good information

I will build one this winter...gonna take all winter to build it, maybe I will take a month to do the landing gear that sounds like an issue

I have an RCGF 32 I am flying in a small SBACH 342 right now .....I'll stick that in the DR-1 should pull this puppy along great at 1/4 throttle
Old 09-06-2011, 05:42 PM
roncannell

Fritz, I wouldnt worry too much about the gear. Replacement wire is only $10. You could build both types. Stock/Bungee. The part I was skepticle of, the Solder joint, actualy held in a bad landing.
Anyway, enjoy your build, hopefully we have made all the mistakes for you.
It sounds like you like to plan ahead, I would recommend you look at Summerwinds Gun mounting. His work is very clean.
I like yor idea of a 30cc engine I am looking at one right now. I found out yesterday that O.S. is building a 33cc. Gas. The guys with the DLE 30 say they work well for the price. I am running a 26 zenoah and its ok but I would like a bit more power.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:16 AM
fritzdecat

Thanks for the feedback Ron, I like the bungee setup for the gear anything that can absorb a little shock 

I have been very happy with the RCGF 32, the power is there and it has proven to be very reliable. BP Hobbies is the only one that carries it now.
I asked the guy at BUSA about engine choices and he said the 32 was fine as long as I exercised throttle control.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:32 PM
rampman

Wouldn't bungee gear tend to make them bounce?  I only have 3 flights on mine but was impressed how it hit and stuck to the ground.  We won't talk about what happened next.  LOL

Here is a video of my maiden. Sorry, not a BUSA Dr.1.  I was so nervous, never been like that,,,EVER.  Try holding 1/8" up stick when shaking.  Very hard to do.  Fixed it on second flight.

Anyhow, here it is. 
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRGFJRw_ahg[/youtube]

Rick
Old 09-08-2011, 05:02 AM
fritzdecat

Is that plane from Arizona Models?
Old 09-08-2011, 08:33 PM
rampman

We think it is a Nick Ziroli plans built plane, not sure.  I need to do more research on this still.

Rick
Old 09-11-2011, 06:34 PM
roncannell

Ordered a DLE 30cc for the Red Tripe tonight. Any of you guys have one of these? I was surprised how much favorable info there was on the blogs concerning this engine. I was gonna hold out for the O.S. 33cc Gas but decided to save a few shekels. Anyway interested to see how it runs. I should have it up and running in about a week barring any unforseen installation issues like needing to move the firewall.
The O.S. on the left is $419. the DLE id $319
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16691.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	1660850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90869.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	1660851  
Old 09-11-2011, 08:24 PM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: rampman

Wouldn't bungee gear tend to make them bounce? I only have 3 flights on mine but was impressed how it hit and stuck to the ground. We won't talk about what happened next. LOL

Here is a video of my maiden. Sorry, not a BUSA Dr.1. I was so nervous, never been like that,,,EVER. Try holding 1/8'' up stick when shaking. Very hard to do. Fixed it on second flight.

Anyhow, here it is.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRGFJRw_ahg[/youtube]

Rick

You got guts! Fokker Dr1's are not pilot friendly and you are taking off and landing on asphalt. Wow, braver man than I am. I won't fly my Fokker Dr1 unless it's on grass and the winds are straight down the runway. And winds cant exceed 5mph at that. You know what that means? Most of the time my Fokker Dr1 is a "Hanger Queen" and I only pull it out to fly maybe 3-5 times a year depending on weather.

Pete
Old 09-11-2011, 08:41 PM
roncannell

Pete, do you have any more pictures of your Tripe? You dont see alot of DR1's finished in black. These are the black schemes I have found.

Name:	Qo38724.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	1660890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi21846.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	1660891   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36354.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	1660892  
Old 09-11-2011, 10:35 PM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: roncannell

Pete, do you have any more pictures of your Tripe? You dont see alot of DR1's finished in black. These are the black schemes I have found.

Sure. Jasta 7 was all black. You can see all the scratch parts and details I put on this plane. It was a labor of love and it was a big hit at my last airshow. Matter in fact it will be in Model Aviation in a few months and Dave Mathewson was amazed when he saw the pilots bust head turn with the rudder and all the scale detail I put into this "Bashed ARF". It's hard to impress a guy who use to be the head of the AMA!

I might put on a dummy engine so I have a better chance of doing better in the static. But I would have to remove it before flight- just call it a clip on engine sort of thing.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10038870/tm.htm

The plane I did was Jacobs 3rd lost documented plane. He was one of the last to give up the Fokker DR1 for the new Fokker DVII. All I had was a small picture of a original photo and I got it from Osprey's Fokker Dr1 Aces.

My maiden flight of the plane you can see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASZqoy_uMnc

Pete

Name:	Bz76980.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	1660900   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ar99622.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	1660901  
Old 09-12-2011, 06:27 PM
roncannell

Lothar is completed. Denis Winters painted him for me.

Name:	Pm35055.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	1661466   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91879.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	1661467  
Old 09-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Edshepherd

Wow Denis did a super great job. Very nice work!!!
Old 09-12-2011, 06:39 PM
roncannell

Pete, I enjoyed your build thread. This is the nicest GP Tripe I have seen. I have tried to get my hands on one but they are hard to come by.
Ron
Old 09-12-2011, 09:24 PM
rampman

Oberst, you made my day. I was questioning my flying skills but maybe...just maybe it has something to do with the scale model. I figured mine would be a low wind, wind straight down the runway plane. At least I got that part right. If I can only get 3 days flying per year out of this one it will be on the auction block. My planes are to fly fly fly, not collect dust.

Nice maiden. Can we get some more excitement when you land next time? LOL

Ron, I am about 2 weeks out for my next attempt. Get that engine in and dialed in...

Rick
Old 09-13-2011, 02:08 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: rampman

Oberst, you made my day. I was questioning my flying skills but maybe...just maybe it has something to do with the scale model. I figured mine would be a low wind, wind straight down the runway plane. At least I got that part right. If I can only get 3 days flying per year out of this one it will be on the auction block. My planes are to fly fly fly, not collect dust.

Nice maiden. Can we get some more excitement when you land next time? LOL

Ron, I am about 2 weeks out for my next attempt. Get that engine in and dialed in...

Rick

Hi Rick,

Yes I was really excited, I'll make sure I'll do a back flip for you next time I fly this thing in high winds and I get it back in one piece. I cleaned up the video quite a bit. My wife cursed when I just got it in the air. She said " Holy F* *****, it flys!" And after I yelled at the end of the video, I also said that it was a real b*tch to land.

I had to maiden the plane that day because the airshows were coming up and you know what the AMA rules say when it comes to maidening planes at a event. When I left my house to pack up the car with my equipment, there was hardly any wind at all. Once I got to the field it was a different story. Deljon and others that own Fokker Dr1's made sure that I knew not to try and fight any crosswinds on take off or landings- and to always try and take off and land directly in the wind.

The GP Fokker DR1 manual also states not to do it as well, so I made sure I beat it in my head that it takes a whole lot of discipline and patience to fly a DR1. It is not for the beginner or the middle intermediate pilot. Not everyone can fly a Venetian Blind! IMHO

What was real scary is my Fokker Dr1 flys like the full size, I'm guessing the BUSA, GP, Proctors, Arizona and Ziroli Fokker Dr1's also have the same bad temper as the full size ones did. So it's best to use the throttle and elevator to control the landings, and there's less of the chance of dipping a wing if we keep it directly in the wind. Ground handling is just terrible. I can manipulate it a little on the ground, but it's just better that I walk it out on the field with it.

roncannell

Pete, I enjoyed your build thread. This is the nicest GP Tripe I have seen. I have tried to get my hands on one but they are hard to come by.
Ron
I thank you very much. I too always wanted one all those years before I got mine, but they discontinued the plane 2 years prior when I joined the hobby (9 years ago) and just learned to fly. Some GP 60 Fokkers do pop up in a ad from time to time, but unfortunately they are a collectors item now, and sellers don't let them go cheap if they know what they got.

In the first post in my build thread I stated that I saw the ad here at RCU Market Place about 2 years ago. The guy was near NYC (200 miles to be exact, 400 round trip) and south, from where I live. The guy wanted $400 for it and it was to be local pickup only. I offered him $300 minus equipment and he said no way.

So I kept my eyes on the ad, and a year later he lowered the price to $300 and I jumped on it. In ad the pictures didn't show how damaged the plane was, and right on the phone just before the long trip to pick it up- he stated it was in RTF condition. Well, 200 miles later I saw the truth and was very disapointed. But yet I was determined to get one, so I bought it. My wife also encouraged me to go all out on it and 10 months later, I finished the project enough to fly it and show it off. The hardest part was making all those discontinued parts from scratch and modifying some from other kits. It hurt my brain trying to figure things out!

Because the plane is now a collectors item, I've had many tell me I should make it a "Hanger Queen." I might one day, but for now she's part of my personal Jasta, and my favorite.

Denis did do a great job. I usually have my wife paint the busts to match the original pilots that flew the plane. Below is a video at the Syracuse S.T.A.R.S Event 2 weeks ago. I was asked to do a Warbird Demo and it was very hot, humid and very windy. Flying the Dr1 was out of the question, so I took my work horse Fokker DVII out. Because I was the only German there, I had to pick a fight with a BUSA Camel. At the end of the video, you can see how accurate my wife is in painting busts. Thank God, it gives me a break in painting!

Here's a link with pictures of the event, video is at the bottom of post.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10712256/tm.htm

In the pictures you can see someone made a BUSA "Waldo Pepper" Fokker Dr1. I got with him and we both agreed the wind wasn't in our favor, so both our DR1's that day were for static display only.

Sorry for long post. And again I thank you and I look forward in "Bashing" a BUSA Fokker DVIII next. Wish they had one in 1/5 scale.

Pete

I enclosed a attachment of the part of the manual that suggests not to fight any cross wind on take off or landings.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Yw67824.pdf (729.3 KB, 65 views)
Old 09-13-2011, 08:23 PM
roncannell

I snagged these cockpit pictures from MRadu on the BUSA Fokker D7 build thread. I now a few of you have seen this thread. This guy's D7 is amazing. Go check it out. I plan on a 1/4 D7 in my near future. Funny, it must be a natural progression because I found that a few of the early DR1 builders from this thread are building D7s now.

Name:	Fc90407.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	544.7 KB
ID:	1662103  
Attached Images   
Old 10-08-2011, 08:42 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some pics from our warbird scramble Sunday. Got a test flight in Saturday. Was a little windy, but she flew good. More flights on Tuesday also. Probaly about sixteen total.
Take a look at the pilot- he's ready to bail!

Name:	Yw67058.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1671186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64070.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1671187   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31071.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	1671188  
Old 10-08-2011, 04:18 PM
roncannell

Looks great mrbigg. Glad you pulled it outta the rafters. What did you put in it for power this time?
Old 10-08-2011, 05:43 PM
mrbigg

I just left the G38 in it.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:45 PM
mrbigg

Check out this video I found on You Tube. It's about the Flyboy movie's stunts.

The Diary of a Miniature Stunt Pilot. - [link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN-JfbjR880[/link]
Old 10-17-2011, 05:11 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: roncannell

Ordered a DLE 30cc for the Red Tripe tonight. Any of you guys have one of these? I was surprised how much favorable info there was on the blogs concerning this engine. I was gonna hold out for the O.S. 33cc Gas but decided to save a few shekels. Anyway interested to see how it runs. I should have it up and running in about a week barring any unforseen installation issues like needing to move the firewall.
The O.S. on the left is $419. the DLE id $319
that's what is mounted in the one i built which is soon to be listed in the Market place.............love the airplane, but have gone into another arena of model flying.

the is of course just there so it looks like a plane....have 3 Zoar laminated 20x6 props for it, but will be listed seperate.
the plane is all covered ready for paint and the balance at this point is a tad nose heavy even without the batteries, ignition and a few other items that will help should it be needed. so it breaks the myth of needing a heavy engine to be mounted. of course the extensive use of light wood and CF laminations contribute to a feather light but super strong tail.

Name:	Db86039.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1675727   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56589.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	1675728  
Old 11-01-2011, 07:54 PM
roncannell

Sorry to hear your selling it. I was looking forward to seeing the finished project.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:54 AM
jeffo
My Feedback: (68)

I'm building a DR-1.The question I got is about incidence.The plans show zero degrees on stab and middle and bottom wing,the top wing has 2 degrees pos.I know this will result in a plane that I will constantly be fighting to keep the nose down.A guy at the field built one,and put 2 degrees neg in top wing,it flies beautiful.He told me you will make a big mistake if you put pos. in top wing.On that note,another guy the DRVll,and he had to shim up the trailing edge because it climbed so bad.He still flies it with a lot of down trim.-jeffo
Old 11-27-2011, 12:08 PM
roncannell

I fly both of mine with a little down trim. There are quite a few older post's on this thread addressing this issue. One problem I found checking the incidence on my wing is that the trailing edge is so flimsy that the weight of my incidence meter changes the incidence. Some of the builders bolted there stab on rather than gluing so it can be shimmed. I would consider this mod personally before modifying the wing.
Ron

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.