Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 06:19 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread

ORIGINAL: JackL

What is the mod that Darrell is doing to the gear? I'm not sure which version of the gear I have, but they don't seem to lock very well..... I'm about to install the gear in my Corsair, but it sounds like I should send them in for the mod first.....
If I understood what Darrel was explaining this morning, he puts welds on the bracket that holds the end of the cylinder. This bracket is held in place with two 4-40 bolts on our gear. If a hard landing pushes on this bracket hard enough to stretch or bend these bolts, the gear will be out of adjustment, and may not lock down all the way. Being under the mount, one may not notice the damage till is is too late.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:12 PM
onewing
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

What is the mod that Darrell is doing to the gear? I'm not sure which version of the gear I have, but they don't seem to lock very well..... I'm about to install the gear in my Corsair, but it sounds like I should send them in for the mod first.....
If I understood what Darrel was explaining this morning, he puts welds on the bracket that holds the end of the cylinder. This bracket is held in place with two 4-40 bolts on our gear. If a hard landing pushes on this bracket hard enough to stretch or bend these bolts, the gear will be out of adjustment, and may not lock down all the way. Being under the mount, one may not notice the damage till is is too late.
Those are the things Darrel did for me:

1. Pictures 1 and 2. Darrel welded the brackets that hold the end of the cylinders.

2. Picture 3. Darrel made my cylinder have a longer stroke. By doing this, I can move my "collar" a little closer to the wheel, have a positive lock, and have the wheels fully retracted into the wheel well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90683.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	1659140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56716.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	1659141   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71521.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	1659142  
Old 09-06-2011, 07:55 PM
vfrank59

ORIGINAL: onewing

1. Pictures 1 and 2. Darrel welded the brackets that hold the end of the cylinders.

2. Picture 3. Darrel made my cylinder have a longer stroke. By doing this, I can move my ''colar'' a little closer to the wheel, have a positive lock, and have the wheels fully retracted into the wheel well.

Thanks for the photos of the Mod. I wonder how Daryl made the stroke longer. Does the plunger just screw out to get the additional length? I can do the welding if needed, just don't know how to get the longer stroke.

Thanks,
Vern
Old 09-06-2011, 08:14 PM
ram3500-RCU

2. Picture 3. Darrel made my cylinder have a longer stroke. By doing this, I can move my ''colar'' a little closer to the wheel, have a positive lock, and have the wheels fully retracted into the wheel well.
Yes, thanks for the pictures. Looks like that is what Darrel was telling me about.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:21 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: vfrank59

Thanks for the photos of the Mod. I wonder how Daryl made the stroke longer. Does the plunger just screw out to get the additional length? I can do the welding if needed, just don't know how to get the longer stroke.

Thanks,
Vern
Vern, Darrel rightly pointed out that the vast majority of these planes are being flown with the original gear with no issues. Some have had problems, but it is usually the result of a very hard landing, that bends the bracket, assuming the gear is adjusted correctly in the first place. Once bent, it can let the gear unlock more easily in a far less violent landing.

Chances are, you will be fine for your maiden. Just keep her level at touchdown and keep the tail up as she rolls out, to eliminate bounce, and you will be fine. Later, you could send you parts to Darrel for the update. Just my 2c.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:17 AM
docgboy

do you know if there is a fee to make the mod.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:15 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: docgboy

I will let you know. I can tell you that Darrel is only charging us for one set of front hinges. The hinges for the kit purchased this year he is swapping out at no cost. All new kits and ARFs will have the updated ones going forward.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:58 PM
onewing
My Feedback: (27)

ORIGINAL: docgboy

Free of charge for landing gear modification. You do have to send your gear to Darrel at your cost.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:36 AM
docgboy

that is really great. It is nice to see people stand behind their work. It is also understandable to see the need for some modifications in a production aircraft of this complexity. I think they are handling it very professionally and it is appreciated.

Scott
Old 09-08-2011, 02:59 PM
ram3500-RCU

Update. I received the (2) sets of updates hinges from Darrel via priority box yesterday. I'll post pictures of them later.

I spoke with Mitch at Down & Locked, and he is going to weld the bracket in question in the gear as he does his other work on the gear. He will likely be using the same bracket to secure the motor assembly. He keeps up with the threads and was already aware of the need for the mod.

I really appreciate all the good support we are getting on this plane from all involved, including Andy Cane, our rep. for Carf. This plane is top shelf in every way.

BTW, I received the CD from Panhandler today (thank you very much), and it is being uploaded to U-Tube as I type. I'll post a link later. The plane is lost in the veiw finder a couple times, but the Moki is still heard purring, and the landing is mostly seen.

Thanks Andy, Darrel, Mitch, and all of you who have posted with suggestions and comments.

THIS AIN'T OVER YET.

I am also working on the aluminum foil prior to paint (I'll chip the paint off exposing the aluminum), and will also show you guys some of that later.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:04 PM
vfrank59

Update. I received the (2) sets of updates hinges from Darrel via priority box yesterday. I'll post pictures of them later.

I spoke with Mitch at Down & Locked, and he is going to weld the bracket in question in the gear as he does his other work on the gear. He will likely be using the same bracket to secure the motor assembly. He keeps up with the threads and was already aware of the need for the mod.

I really appreciate all the good support we are getting on this plane from all involved, including Andy Cane, our rep. for Carf. This plane is top shelf in every way.

BTW, I received the CD from Panhandler today (thank you very much), and it is being uploaded to U-Tube as I type. I'll post a link later. The plane is lost in the veiw finder a couple times, but the Moki is still heard purring, and the landing is mostly seen.

Great! There ain't nuttin on TV Thursday nights anyway!!!

Vern
Old 09-08-2011, 03:07 PM
ram3500-RCU

Vern
Good one.

May take awhile. It says it has 88 minutes remaining. HD video musty take a great deal longer.[]
Old 09-08-2011, 03:14 PM
vfrank59

Vern
Good one.

May take awhile. It says it has 88 minutes remaining. HD video musty take a great deal longer.[]

It does take a long time to convert it. I built a super computer and it take 45 mins. for an 8 min HD video to convert. I also use a free internet website. Keepvid to download and keep favorite videos off you tube. works great!

Old 09-08-2011, 03:16 PM
ram3500-RCU

Vern
Good one.

It does take a long time to convert it. I built a super computer and it take 45 mins. for an 8 min HD video to convert. I also use a free internet website. Keepvid to download and keep favorite videos off you tube. works great!

Only 60% remaining. Hang in there. Time for a snack I think.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:25 PM
vfrank59

Vern
Good one.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:37 PM
ram3500-RCU

Uploading a second video showing our presentation of the plane including a wing and engine demo, prior to flight. Thanks to Panhandler for capturing this for us.

You will notice when you see this that we still have the starboard wing sticking in the down position. A slight push down frees it. I honed the inside of the race for the brass stud, but it still sticks. Minor issue to us at this point.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:29 PM
panhandler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vern
Good one.

heres a fresh bag Vern ;}
Old 09-08-2011, 05:46 PM
ram3500-RCU

I know.

They are still uploading.[] WOW, first time loading HD vids. A lesson in patience for sure.

In the meantime, here are some pictures of the fuselage being readied for the paint. I'm researching the proper color for inside the cowl, and other internal areas. The outside is pretty simple and well documented with ANA color types.

The aluminum I'm using is some Flight Metal we had left over from Zombie, our Meister P-47. I placed an order with Dino at Meister for some Aero Foil, for the 2nd airframe. We will be covering ALL of the metal areas on that one, not just the leading edges.

BTW, 90% uploaded. WOOPIE!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86062.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	1659690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22676.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	1659691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71137.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	1659692   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34044.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	1659693   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72549.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	1659694  
Old 09-08-2011, 05:47 PM
vfrank59

ORIGINAL: panhandler

Vern
Good one.

heres a fresh bag Vern ;}

Ha, that is funny. I am about finished with the Bay Watch tapes!!

Old 09-08-2011, 05:54 PM
ram3500-RCU

There is always the football game. GB is trampling all over NO last I looked.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:23 PM
ram3500-RCU

OK guys, here is the flight video. CRANK IT UP!!!!!!!!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S2FwRh9AbU
Old 09-08-2011, 06:25 PM
vfrank59

OK guys, here is the flight video. CRANK IT UP!!!!!!!!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S2FwRh9AbU

WOO HOO !

Old 09-08-2011, 06:40 PM
vfrank59

Great Job!!! Forgot what trees looked like. Only thing close to trees, in Arizona, is tall cactus. They don't give much when ya hit em!

Well, your video has calmed me down a lot for preps of the maiden. It is great to see what the sink rate can be like and be prepared for it. I had a dead stick on a byron AT-6 and about 30 feet high before touchdown, she had a magnetic attraction. I could not react fast enough to halt the sink. She bounced hard and survived.

Thanks for taking the time to upload the video!!!!

Vern
Old 09-08-2011, 06:40 PM
ram3500-RCU

We planned a longer flight, but I cut it short when, coming out of a split S, the engine lagged when I advanced the throttle back up. It did come back up after a couple seconds, but I didn't know if that is normal, if we had maybe fouled a plug or two, or if there was something else going on (first experience with these Mokis). Not wanting to take a chance, I just brought her home. I pulled all the plugs and there was a lot of black oily crap on them. I cleaned all of them, and will cut the oil back on the next run. I also added a couple ounces of Marvel Mystery oil to the mix. The engine seemed fine during landing and after.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:45 PM
vfrank59

yep, I had an issue with a little to much oil mix on my 60% Cub, with 3W275, I was still breaking the engine in, and cut it to 40 to 1 ratio. I could tell it had a few more RPM and the plugs liked it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.