Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Heli stuff and fellowship

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Heli stuff and fellowship

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 07:26 AM
matty_p80

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Heli stuff and fellowship

hey lovelurly people!

finally got round to getting a couple of shots of 'Big and Little' before the last one leaves us!

little bit of a fraud as i still have to take it out of the shell and set the servos up properly but had to do it!

enjoy

Matty
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28736.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	1656447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41519.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1656448  
Old 09-02-2011, 08:01 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

No flying for me this weekend, headed to Savannah with the girly.

I hope everyone has a happy and SAFE holiday weekend.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:19 AM
dooleyje

Matty,,, Super nice.. I want to shoot the gun OHHH YEAH.

I just got back from the field and I had a ball... perfect weather. I flew my Beatx TRex500, My Trex600esp and my Guai 200, and my tiny McPX. The Beatx FBL is doing great and I tell ya.. I really can't see anything that needs changing. The ESPwith the 3G is simply a sweet heart to fly. I need to get more batteries for the 500 and 600. I only one set each. I need to take my nitros out and burn the dust off of them.

Jay ther Hypers are a power house with the right pipe. The Align pipe is everyones favorite around here. I have the Hyper on my EVO and it has well over 20 gallons through it. The one in the Vibe has 3 tanks so far. I am not sure what OS did to the Hyper. If you keep the temps in the 210 range you will have one lasting a long while. The bearins will wear out with slamming 3D where the motors are run 230-300 f range. The are easy to change. The big boy is the new OS.55...pricey!!!

See yous later,

Jim

Old 09-02-2011, 10:32 AM
dooleyje

OH by the way,, Futaba has an encoder out for the Fut 750 FBL unit and you can use it on non s-bus receivers. I think they are about 59 bucks. Eflight have a bunch of new products coming out so keep an eye out for the new Helis/planks. They also have a Heuy helicopter coming that has the Blade SR in it. Those who already have the SR the Fuselage would be a great up grade. The new Blade 450 is finally a great flying helicopter from Eflight and it has beefed up stuff in it such as the spindles that are huge like the Trex450. The gyro holds as well as a Futaba401 and the new digital servos have a locked in feeling. I have flown our store display and I was really pleased with it. The finally put it in a bind and fly set and they still have the all in one RTF with the great DX6I. Visit your nearest local Hobby center and look for the new products.

Jim
Old 09-03-2011, 06:21 PM
Mack66

OK, the post mortem is complete. The Phoenix shall rise again. Total bill for replacement parts is $300 (including blades). Buying an SDX kit + blades would cost $450, so decided to rebuild. Well more like restore! Mind you, the bill would be higher, but I already had spare parts for the rotor head assembly, landing gear and other bits and bobs.

Also just found one of the 10X19X5 bearings has a "hitch" in it so will replace that too.

Still have to replace the servo case on the Hitec HS-6965HB. Apparently, this has been discontinued and is replaced by a similar product. Anyone know what the replacement model is? I suspect it has the same case dimensions. The case kit is model HRC 55410, but nobody has it, has declared it discontinued, or declared it back ordered. Anyone know what's going on here?

I've decided to upgrade my throttle servo to another HS-6965HB or equal. That way I'll have plenty of torque available to drive the Redline 53H's tendency to bind, and be plenty fast to handle the governor.

Boy what a mess. I certainly did a number on her this time. Guess I'm getting better, cuz my crashes are getting more exciting!

You should see my man cave/office. Looks like an Hirobo parts warehouse. And nothing even remotely looks like a helicopter in here!!!

Hope y'all are doing well.

Mack
Old 09-04-2011, 05:44 AM
dooleyje

Mack, the part you are looking for is HS-55410 and it is the case for several servos. The only servos that fit that case still available is the High speed 7965 or 7966. I would try to find the fastest throttle servo I can afford using a GOV...just like yor tail. I always use a fast so my throttle comes in faster than my cyclic instead of laging behind. If this is a cyclic servo you would need to match all 3. Good luck on your build. Yep the more you fly, the crashes get more "enjoyable"[:@] But hey, that's flying and just remember that you will have a brand new heli...and one of the best flying ever!!!

Jim
Old 09-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Mack66

JD,

Thanks for the support. Turns out I found 1 in stock (yes exactly 1) HRC 55410 replacement case kit in stock at Prop Shop ( http://www.propshophobbies.com ). I then found a Hitec HS-6965HB at Hobby Horse ( https://www.hobbyhorse.com ). Decided to use the same servo for rudder and throttle so bought it. Yes I know it's no longer produced by Hitec, but I like its specs. Since I'm only using a GY401 gyro, the torque of 92/111 and speed of .1/.08 looked pretty good for an $85 servo, and certainly should perform better than a Futaba S3003 on the throttle.

If I were to go to a better gyro (like the GY520), then I could see moving to a more better servo on the rudder. That will happen in the future, but for now as a junior pilot this should be more than suitable for my needs. Who knows? The next crash (nooooo, not me)could wipe out my gyro, then it would be time for an upgrade? Haha.

Still interested in what servo is considered the replacement for the now defunct HS-6965HB.

Hope everyone is enjoying their long weekend here in the states. Matty, do you get a bank holiday this weekend?

Mack
Old 09-05-2011, 01:20 AM
matty_p80

hey Mack

it's kinda forced on us as the 'Mericans all take it off and if they're not at work, we can't!!! still it's given us a 3 day w/e which gives me a little extra time to get stuff organised before going back down to Rota next week!

hope everyone flew lots for me! soooooo typical, had the most beautiful of days on Saturday but my TX is in the container heading to Spain!!!!

P,L,C+MH

Matty
Old 09-05-2011, 04:57 AM
dooleyje

Mack I think the 79xx series at any rate I am glad you found them.

Matty, no flying for the next several days. due to the rains. Jeeezs off today and all charged up and loaded.

Jim
Old 09-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Mack66

JD,

You are right! After further study, I've concluded that the HS-7975HB is the "replacement" for the HS-6965HB. They even use the same case kit! The 7975 is a tad slower and stronger, but I'm sure would do the job. This does tell me that they would need to continue to supply the HRC-55410 case kit, so I could go ahead and assume their backorders would eventually be filled.

Matty, Matty, Matty...how many times will I have to tell you to never let your TX outta your sight! Shipping to Spain? Are you in Spain now? Huh? Huh? Tsk tsk. No. Wait! Maybe you need a 2nd TX!!! You could get a newer, more better one!!! Then you'd have one in both places and wouldn't have to transport the TX at all! Gosh I'm a genius.

OK, now I have to wait for parts to arrive via mail order. Need one 10X19X5 bearing, but Greg will have that. Then, finally, I can reassemble. At least I can rebuild the gear set and tail rotor. That will keep me busy.

Mack
Old 09-05-2011, 01:29 PM
matty_p80

Mack, Mack, Mack! it's already on the "what present is Matty going to buy himself for working so hard in Spain" list!!! kinda thinking a DX8 is on the cards!?

heh heh heh!
Old 09-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Mack66

Oh man, Matty. I want one of those. But my DX7 still is working pretty good. Sigh.

Mack
Old 09-07-2011, 05:08 PM
dooleyje

Hey gang,, Wow I had a nice afternoon flying. It was a bit overcast but cool. I flew my tiny MCPX and the brushless system on it is is insane. Bunches of power and no tail blow it using the Blade 120 tail motor. I had a ball with it..

On more serious note I piled my Gaui200 in. I did a piro flip and it killed itself. I had a link break. I hit TH so no damage other than having to replace the link that attaches to the flybar. Yuk hate to have to pull the flybar.

On a very serious note. I was flying a customers 500 ESP with the new 3GX system and it simply lost all power about 20ft off the ground. THold again and we broke a landing gear strut. Post mortem showed that the battery was at 50% but the receiver was blinking a power outage. I don't know what that is about and thats is not the first time I heard that one on the forums UUUMMMMM,

Good note, My heli with the Beatsx flew great and so did my 600. The Beastx FBL system is really growing on me. All I did today was increase the tail gain to see how high I could go. The tail ia locked on blastoffs and that is great and no blowout during backwards flying. Standing piros looked like I was attached to a pole. Yep it's a keeper. Now to test the Vbar system, noted to be the beast of the beast.. very Pricy at around $300.

Later ,

Jim
Old 09-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Mack66

JD,

Sorry to hear about your carnage. Still, it sounds like things weren't damaged too badly so that is a good thing. Hard to imagine crashing out of a piro-flip and only having to replace a fly bar link! And only breaking a landing gear strut on power failure from 20ft with a 500 is amazing. You do good work protecting things on the way down. Or you're lucky. Heh.

Anyway, the 500 power failure sounds tough. Sounds to me like you really don't know the cause yet. And that's not good. Let us know when you do.

All,

I'm still waiting on parts due to arrive later this week or early next week. One good new arrival was from J&R Hobby Hardware the people that Cuda referred us to that sell fasteners etc. to R/C modellers. I bought 100 servo screws #3's. I bought #2's from another supplier last year and they didn't work in the Hirobos at all. I quickly tried out one of these screws in the damaged servo tray and it works great! Yay! Finally, I have 5/64 in hex cap screws with washers that fit Hirobo hole sizes. No more stripped Phillips head screws! In fact to remove my servos from this old tray, I had to drill out one of the screws to get one of the servos out because I stripped it trying to unscrew it. Now I will be able to use an electric screwdriver to run the screw in and hand tighten it at the end. This is gonna make the whole build experience fun now. I have always hated dealing with the Phillips head screws. Yes I know you have to be careful not to over torque them. Trust me I won't.

All I need now is the replacement rudder servo case and new throttle servo and I can get it all back together. I'll be picking up the replacement bearing from Greg tomorrow evening at our monthly club meeting.

On the down side, we have a 7000+ acre (and growing) wildfire out of control 16 miles north of us, involving three counties (Montgomery, Grimes, and Waller). We're in Harris County immediately south of them. You may have heard about it on the news. Texas has lots of them going on right now Bastrop being the worst. Bad news for us is that my son-in-law's grandmother has been ordered to evacuate and may lose her house. If things move South, my daughter's family may face the same problem. So far, I figure we're safe (but may end up with many house guests). Let's hope they can get this thing under control.

Karl,

Hope you survived the second onslaught from TS Lee.

Mack
Old 09-07-2011, 06:40 PM
one thumb

If Y'all had the rain we been getting, there would be no fire problem and grass would be growing. Son of mine in Austin said today that smoke was in the air.
Been p for Y'All

Karl
Old 09-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Mack66

Karl,

Bastrop is only about 35 miles from Austin. We're dodging ashes in our yard here. We sure wish we had some rain...

Mack
Old 09-08-2011, 06:48 AM
dooleyje

Hey folks,, Yep I wished you'll could have received the rain we had. Maybe the new storm will will catch the wind stream and send some your way.

Mack I am very fast to hit TH during a problem. The Gaui200 took me by surprise when it balled up,,,yep exacly what it looked like. The soft landing was due to the soft rain sqweesy ground. The Gaui is a tuff little bird. It has had hundreds of flights on it. It is aready fixed mand test flown in the yard a while ago. I replaced all the links.

The Trex500 belonged to a customer and was using the Align ESC and a 6 cell 2500 Hyperion battery. He measured the pack and was shown over 50% battery remaining. I think it browned out. Not sure. It flew great till is quit. The flybarrless will pull a lot more power from your BEC than you think when set for 4.8 /5volts. You can not run this receiver below 3.9 Volts. That is the reason I run everything on 6Volts. My larger electri helis I run a seperate lipo pack and bec for the receiver. I do not think we lost the link with the transmitter because it was only 50ft in front of me. I sorta kinda autoed it down,, kinda ,,,, maybe,,, not a very good one. I have read where others are loosing the 3GX but who knows the real cause. This client was using a seperate receiver and not just a couple of remotes. None of the stuff was on a recall. ??????

I hope the fire does not spread to your area and your folks will be OK.

Jim
Old 09-08-2011, 08:08 AM
cajungirl

Helllooooooo everybody,
'Bout time I wrote a little somethin' here. I promise to try and keep it "little". Y'all know my penchance towards chattin' though.

It's been just beeootiful here in Nebraska. Cool nights and comfy days. We've just come back from flyin' the 600s and they're all tweaked to good flyin' settings. Shore is good to see, hear and smell the nitro stuff again.

We're limited right now 'cause I had a little oopsie with my TX[X(]. Sat it out on the table over at the soccer field, turned around and got the case with my 600 in it, shoved the case on the onto the table and managed to push my TX off onto the concrete. Oh dear, I'm 'fraid I joggled it's insides kinda hard. Some of the menus won't come up and it's actin kinda crazy. So, for now, we're usin' Jays TX to fly all the birdies and takin' turns. Dang it anyway, not near as much fun as flyin' double. Jay boxed my TX up today to send it in for fixin' and we've decided that it's a good idea to get another one to have as a spare. We'll get that ordered and sent to my parents address so we can go pick it up when we get back to Baton Rouge. Darn my excited hurryin' anyway. Yes guys, we do have a case for the radios, but I had gotten it out first. I promise to be more careful from now on. Jay was his usual calm and patient self about it and has even been teasin' me some about it. At first he just said "I guess you'll have to sit and watch me fly today". I was gonna pout but he was just kiddin' and even let me go first. I don't care what anybody else says, he's just a darn nice guy.

K now, I promised to keep it "little" here so I'll get done. We're on the way to Okie City on the 10th and I start my two weeks there on the 12th. Looks like their weather has mellowed out and it should be good for some flyin'. Jay's gonna leave the old Ford at home this time and use his car to pull the trailer. We've put lotsa miles on the truck lately and he wants to start limiting those some.

Bye now y'all. Always a good feelin' to chat it up with ya.

Please be safe, healthy and happy,

Donica.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:52 PM
Mack66

Not to worry Donica, your TX will get all better soon. Did you notice that Matty sent his off in his shipment rather than keeping it by his side? Sounds to me like just about the same results! Hope this isn't an omen for the rest of us.

By the way, what kinda TX are you using?

Mack
Old 09-09-2011, 05:11 PM
dooleyje

Donica, Dang I hate you lost your Transmitter. Futaba will have it all better soon.. Get them to install any upgrade software while they have it with a possiblility of the S-bus system. I think the 10c can do it.

I had a long day at work today. I swear that 6 hours lasted 14 hours at least.. I am beat.. 3 heli repairs and a B400 set up and an airplane going over and installing retracts in to the new Spitfire.

I am charging and loading in hopes I can get a bit of flying tomorrow after work. I am taking my 500,600,Mcpx. I am still tweaking the FBL system on the 600. It had a tiny bit of pitch up in fasst forward flight. That is something normal on 600's but I wanted to see it the 3G can hold it level. The Beast on the 500 flys like it is on rails and have nice axle rolls with no pitch up. Reminds me of.... you guessed it,, My EVO. I need to knock the dust off of one of them and buy some fuel and geta few flights on them. I have a new spare if anyone is interested. HA

My batteries are done. I am using 8cell packs on the 600 or 2 4cells in series. I can charge them in a "syc mode" which balances then like a big 8 cell and not two different batteries. I have some new batteres in their way and should be here tomorrow.

I am studing the Vbar FBL system which is popular around here. About 319 bucks ummm have to save a bit more for that one.

Later,

Jim
Old 09-10-2011, 01:22 AM
matty_p80

JD

i do have a case i made myself for it from an ally tool case i picked up for €7.00 and had the foam already - job done!!

one thought occured to me about the brown out on the 500: does it have a CF main frame, was it using 2.4 GHz and was the antenna touching it? i know the Spektrum systems were having this problem and they developed the special case for use with CF frames!!
Donica

you getting it fixed or replacing it?

well I is safe and sound in Rota now after a good 12 and a bit hour day of travelling. weather is glorious, in the mid 30's celsius!!! have my B400 and mCPx with me and the next 2 days, off niiiiiiice

gotta go get my passes unt stuff

P,L,C+MH

Matty

(couldn't send this yesterday due to 'mission requirements' ha ha)
Old 09-10-2011, 04:28 AM
dooleyje

We found the cause on the 500 brown out. The ESC was set to 5 volts and should have been 6V. The FBL draws a lot of current at times. You could see the receiver browning ouit by moving all the stick fast at the same time... The Align ESC bec is only rated @3amps. The more voltage you have the less amperage you need so combine the two and you have a browm out if your esc/bec does not have the capacity. While I was testing the 500's fbl system setup you do just that and that is to do fast movements to see how the system will react. Yes most helis have carbom frames and I do not see that as a problem ,The carbon receiver was designed for full enclosed fuselages made of carbon. You simply stick the long antenna outside of it. Anyway the customer had a Castle Ice75 that has a 5amp bec so we will install that..

Jim
Old 09-11-2011, 06:52 PM
Mack66

Well, leave it to me. Was rebuilding my Sceadu and the radius arm stay snapped off in my hands this evening. Sigh. Oh well, the lower screw holes were getting close to being stripped anyways. That thing has been in and out of my helicopter more times than I can remember, so it's time for it to be replaced anyhoo. Soooo annoying, though. I keep forgetting that it needs to be installed after the bell cranks are installed (need to make room for acces to the bars that run across the frame). I removed the upper screws, layed it over, gave me room for access. Then when I tilted it back up and screwed it in place I discovered that I forgot to reposition the swashplate radius arm back in the slot. Like sooo many times before I bent back the radius arm stay to slip the post into the slot and SNAP! She was gone. Grrrr.

Oh well. Yet another annoying part to replace...

I'll get this sucker fixed yet!

Mack
Old 09-12-2011, 03:40 AM
dooleyje

Mack, I had always stated how great the Sceadu EVO is and here is a prime example of it's greatness... Personally notifing you that it has a defective part,,,Before you fly.

Jim
Old 09-12-2011, 11:01 AM
flyachopper1

Hello all,
We are safely in Okie City and Dear Donica is working her magic on the hurt and sick. The weather here is quite nice and we will do some flying this evening.

Mack,
Makes you want to curse and throw things at times but like JD said, good to find that weak part before flying. Myself, I am taking a break from the building for a time. We now have four of our helis done up and flying so we will enjoy that part for a while.

Today I am spending some time getting the Harley checked over and freshened up with new oil, filter, plugs, all the normal maintenance things. Looks like we will get to use it here more and I want it running well.

Old story: Met someone here that has just recently bought a T Rex 450 SE from another that gave up in the middle of the building process. He picked it, a spektrum radio and a ton of parts up for a song. Trouble is he does not feel the need to deconstruct and rebuild assuring the other person did not make any fatal mistakes. He called me today for advice on finishing it and I told him, as we all do, to take it apart and start from scratch. No, he is not willing to do that and is going to try to finish it from where it is. I helped him as I could from what he told me on the phone, but being novice, he did not know how to ask the questions so I could not give all the answers. He insists the heli is going to fly without rechecking all the settings, balances, etc. I tried my best to talk him again into starting over but to no avail. When I did not give the answers he wanted he got a bit testy and frustrated. It worked down to him wanting me to come over and finish the build for him. I may have been to hardheaded but I told him no. I warned him that he was messing with a dangerous little machine and to keep kids and pets at a distance. I even warned him to watch out for himself. He got an attitude and sort of ticked me off. The conversation ended with me telling him I would not fly with him or even be in the same park while he was attempting to fly. Was I too harsh????? Another fine T Rex destined for the disabled list I am sure. I do not want to be anywhere near it to avoid flying parts, getting blamed for failures and/or being accused of giving bad advice. It seems to me he is the sort to do this.

Best get to the work on the bike so we have it for this evening.

Be well me friends.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.