Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

help first time build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

help first time build

Old 09-08-2011, 01:06 PM
luciuswillson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help first time build

I am getting ready to build my first fist kit (four star 60) in the next month or so and needed help. I do not know how to pick out servos. I have a Spektrum dx8 and will be using the ar6210 dsmx rx. I know Ineed five servos but that is all i know. I guess I need to know size type ect. Any help you can give me will be a big help.

If I am in the wrong forum for this question can a moderator move it to where it needs to be.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:31 PM
GaryHarris

Default RE: help first time build

ORIGINAL: luciuswillson

I am getting ready to build my first fist kit (four star 60) in the next month or so and needed help. I do not know how to pick out servos. I have a Spektrum dx8 and will be using the ar6210 dsmx rx. I know I need five servos but that is all i know. I guess I need to know size type ect. Any help you can give me will be a big help.

If I am in the wrong forum for this question can a moderator move it to where it needs to be.
I used the standard Futaba 3004's in my 4*60 with no problems and I was running a Saito 100 in it and it weighed 9 lbs.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:57 PM
luciuswillson

Would it matter if they were digital or analog. I didn't know if the dsmx tx and rx would change that.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:00 PM
huck1199

You can use either.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:24 PM
GP23
My Feedback: (2)

Of course if you go digital and so on it's "better," but for a plane like in all reality it is unnecessary.  You'll be fine with standard servos.  At this level, almost any manufacturer will have something decent to offer.  Personally, I'm a fan on Hitec servos because I think they offer the greatest value for the money.  Some Hitec HS-425 servos would be good for a 4*...HS-485's even better and worth the extra $4.  On a similar type of plane as yours (but 40 size) I have used $10 Airtronics servos are they are awesome... . Futaba S3004, even 3003's would be fine.  Find a price point you want, and compare specs.  Good luck!
Old 09-08-2011, 02:56 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My basic sport servo for my DX7 w/ AR7000 or AR6200 is an inexpensive set of analog servos: For everything except the throttle I use Hitec HS-485HB (was the HS-475HB). Plenty of torque and speed for the 4Star. For the throttle I use an HS-425BB (standard size) or HS-85BB (mini size). If it's a bit higher performance (60-size) I'll use JR D821 digital servos.

Hitec servo connectors work just fine with the Spektrum Rx.

Check out ServoCity for help on the details (Hitec and Futaba).

Be aware that the performance of the servo differs based on Rx battery voltage. 4.8v is slower and generates lower torque than 6.0v.

HTH,
Old 09-08-2011, 03:09 PM
Lnewqban

Copied from http://www.btemodels.com/vt_tips.html for a similar model:

"Bruce Tharpe's tips for the Venture 60:

Standard servos are okay, but I prefer ball-bearing servos for all of my control surfaces. Without a ball-bearing on the output shaft, servos that seem "tight" at first will develop excess play over time. This slopiness in the linkage can possibly lead to flutter - something you want to avoid with any model!"
Old 09-08-2011, 03:26 PM
luciuswillson

I plan on using a Saito .82 four stroke. 
Old 09-08-2011, 03:45 PM
outdoorhunting

That would be a good engine choice for the 4*. It won't be a rocket ship & will fly just fine. The * series is not known for it's speed, just an easy,relaxing flying plane !! The standard servos will work just fine. You can get a lot of money tied up in all the "premium" equipment, ( digital servos, all the premium hardware, name brand stuff that costs an arm & a leg). The truth is, that the standard stuff you get in most kits will work just fine for normal & even an aggressive style of sport flying. If ya want to spend money for no reason or impress the other guys with all the high dollar stuff on your plane, then go ahead & buy that stuff. 90% of all sport pilots will NOT be able to tell the difference bewteen the two! Good Luck
Old 09-08-2011, 03:53 PM
GaryHarris

I would be a little concerned using a Saito 82. If you already have it, try it but build the tail as light as you can. On mine with a Saito 100 I still had to add 15 oz. of lead up front.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:15 PM
SeamusG

Great choice in a 1st build.

A Saito 82 is equivalent to a .55 sized 2-stroke. Your 4Star60, well, is a .60 sized plane (2-stroke). I really like the Saito 82 on my Hanger 9 Showtime 50 - but it is lighter than the 4Star60.

Couple of things ...

Leave off the outer most rib (shortening the wing). It will be more responsive - roll rate will improve. And the wing won't be so long - makes transportation a bit easier.

Check the wood supplied by SIG for the tail. Recent kits (Somethin Extra and LT40) have had heavy, hard wood. If you have a local hobby store that stocks balsa, compare yours with their wood. If you're lucky the LHS staff can help you pick-n-choose appropriate wood. Maybe ya won't have to add that much weight to the nose. Rule of thumb: 1/4 oz of weight at the tail needs 1 oz. of weight at the firewall to move the CG 1/8". GaryHarris added nearly 16 oz. to the nose - that offsets 4 oz of weight at the tail. Just be aware.

I use my 4Star60 as an engine mule. I picked a Hayes AL60 engine mount - all 4 holes fixed so that you can pop any engine you want that fits the AL60, adjust the throttle control and you have a new-n-different 4Star. The AL60 will handle an OS61FX, OS91FX, Saito 91, Saito 100 and YS 1.10. I also lopped off the cowl checks so that nothing gets in the way when I fuel and tune the engine.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:51 PM
luciuswillson

Ok so I am pretty sure of the servos now but not sure of the engine. I am using the 4* 60 to be my low wing trainer and get a build under my belt. I want the fastest engine I can get but at the same time need to be conscience of the money I send. Should I go with a big 2 stroke and save money.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:07 PM
luciuswillson

I was just looking at 2strokes the os 75 is about 225 but the supertiger g75 is 125. Don't think I can argue with 125. What do you think.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:15 PM
GaryHarris

Fast is NOT an option with 4 stars. They are not fast planes but like big 4 strokes and big props. After I finish my LT-40, my second 4*60 will be going on the board and I am seriously considering the Magnum 91 for power.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXRH4&P=0
Old 09-08-2011, 06:55 PM
GP23

For engine choice, taking into consideration value and performance, I would recommend either an ST75 or OS65AX.  Both would give you plenty of power for the 4* but not "overkill."  You won't be disappointed with either choice.  

You will certainly pay less for a 2-stroke and get more power, however, 4-strokes have their own advantages (torque, sound, etc...) that make them worthwhile to many in this hobby.  A somewhat cheaper 4-stroke alternative for your plane would be a Thunder Tiger F91S...they seem to be decent engines for the price.  With the Tower discount you should be able to pick one up for right around $200...
Old 09-10-2011, 04:20 PM
RevGQ

Just in case no one has mentioned this, do yourself a favor and make duplicate parts out of heavy construction paper. I have never bought the same kit twice and some kits are worthy of building more than once. It also comes in handy when you have need of repairs.

Also, it is more time consuming, and no doubt you are anxious to get the build started, but the added time has the benefit of familiarizing you with all the parts of the build. Have fun.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:42 PM
noveldoc

For fast duplicates I put the cut out parts on the glass of my copier and Xerox them.  Be sure to label them.  If you want to rebuild or need a replacement, it's very easy to paste on some light cardboard (like on a cereal box or poster board) and cut out.  And making the duplicates goes very fast.

Tom
Old 09-10-2011, 05:06 PM
SeamusG

ORIGINAL: noveldoc

For fast duplicates I put the cut out parts on the glass of my copier and Xerox them. Be sure to label them. If you want to rebuild or need a replacement, it's very easy to paste on some light cardboard (like on a cereal box or poster board) and cut out. And making the duplicates goes very fast.

Tom
Do they replicate exactly?

Old 09-10-2011, 06:19 PM
noveldoc

I haven't had issues.  Just take some pains laying them out.

Tom
Old 09-14-2011, 07:43 PM
stevenmax50

I have a Tiger 60, a very similer model, and I have the Magnum 91 4 stroke on it.  It is a very good engine for that style model and is only about 200 bucks.  A good value and a performer.   I also am looking to buy a 4*60 and would put another Magnum 91 on that as well.  Or maybe the 1.20???  Overkill maybe?