Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Help with Turnigy lipos!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 09:36 AM
alexchen86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Turnigy lipos!

I purchased 2 Turnigy Nanotech 5000mah 2S 25C lipos off HobbyKing...finlly got a chance to burn through a couple of packs.

Temps only hit 100 degrees after each run. After that the cells would not balance when charging. I have to use my Hyperion 0606i to NiMH mode for a few seconds and then switch to Lipo mode and charge.

Anyone else experience this? I'm about to contact HK do they have some sort of warranty?
Old 09-10-2011, 09:57 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Help with Turnigy lipos!

Most times that cells "will not balance while charging" it isn't the cell's fault or the pack's fault. HK does have a hoop jumping thru warranty for batts.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:00 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Explain to me why you would charge them in "NIMH mode even for a few seconds"?
Old 09-10-2011, 10:06 AM
redfisher1974

Do you swear off everything you have a single bad experience with?
Old 09-10-2011, 10:25 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: alexchen86

I purchased 2 Turnigy Nanotech 5000mah 2S 25C lipos off HobbyKing...finlly got a chance to burn through a couple of packs.

Temps only hit 100 degrees after each run. After that the cells would not balance when charging. I have to use my Hyperion 0606i to NiMH mode for a few seconds and then switch to Lipo mode and charge.

Anyone else experience this? I'm about to contact HK do they have some sort of warranty?
Uh, why were your packs hitting 100F? If the batteries are even getting warm to the touch (compared to ambient temp) there is something wrong, and you're using the packs for more than what they're rated for.

What is your setup? What car, what power system, radio, etc?
Old 09-10-2011, 10:32 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

Explain to me why you would charge them in ''NIMH mode even for a few seconds''?
sounds like they went under 3V a cell
that is how some people "resurrect" a lipo that drops too low
Old 09-10-2011, 10:52 AM
redfisher1974

maybe had the lvc turned off.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:25 PM
savagecommander

a machine is only as good as its operator....
Old 09-10-2011, 12:41 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

100 degrees shouldnt even hurt a lipo battery.

maybe the "C" rating of the lipos you got dont match the demands of the system you are using.

i havent had an issue with turnigy lipos, except for 2 packs which i accidently shorted(bad solder on the deans, let go and touched)
this caused something on the board to fry. the cells are still good, and the balance plug works. but i get no voltage threw the leads.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:50 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

100 degrees is nothing. If they hit 140, then you should start getting worried. It sounds like you were pulling too much amperage... 25C may not be enough for your system.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:09 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeh I have to agree, warm packs is not indicative of overdisharging. I have 2x 40c (90c burst) 5000mAh 3s flightmax packs in my truggy, it's about as good as batts get realistically, most batts claiming over 40C are simply lying, yet they still get a bit warm.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:43 PM
namewasdallas

my nano-techs 2s 35c-70c burst and 45c-90c burst run awesome and cool. Maybe your charger doesnt balance charge well. What type of charger do you have.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Redharris

After spending big $$$ for Reedy and Max Amp Batteries, (and getting Real tired of spending so much) I tried Turnigy and have been Satisfied with their performance. I was the first one at my Track to do so, and got a lot Ribbing at first, but after they saw the performance of my cars, alot of Peeps changed their attitudes Real fast....
I raced a Slash and a B4 for a couple years and am now running an SC10.
The Turnigy 5000mah 40-50C works great in the SC10 an has just as much or more punch as my (triple the cost ) Reedy 5000mah.
The smaller/lighter 20-30C 5000mah Turnigy works great in the B4......

My Batts balance fine......I charge normally charge at a 1C rate with a Durtrax ICE charger and sometimes use a $25 Hobby King charger (works just fine too) and Balance with a Blinky after charging. I have found that the Turnigy's do not need to be balanced after every run....That May be because I am only running 5-7 min Qualifiers and Mains that never go more than 10 minutes. I never run the Batts to Cut Off, the way a Basher might......

My Buddy told me that Turnigy Hardcase lipos were recently Roar approved too.....
Old 09-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Cleared2Engage

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

Explain to me why you would charge them in ''NIMH mode even for a few seconds''?
sounds like they went under 3V a cell
that is how some people ''resurrect'' a lipo that drops too low
Yup, my money's on an over-discharge.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:21 PM
alexchen86

Wow super fast replies...Ishould have explained my running gear first. First thing is yes LVC is set at 3.2V/cell via Castlelink as Iknow I'm using subpar lipo packs.

I'm using the Turnigy Nanotech 2s 25C lipos on my Losi XXX-SCB outfitted with Castle's SCT 1410 3700kv combo.

Outside temperature was around 95 degrees. ESC temp after a full pack was 126 degrees and the motor was at 114 degrees so nothing was overstressed.

Lipo batteries hitting 100 degrees isn't too bad of an issue it was still warm to the touch and it wasn't even puffed. The weird thing is one of them puffed several hours later. Iguess I need packs with at least 30C?

Idon't understand...the Losi XXX-SCBis super light and weighs no more than maybe 3 pounds RTRweight including battery.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:13 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Wow super fast replies...I should have explained my running gear first. First thing is yes LVC is set at 3.2V/cell via Castlelink as I know I'm using subpar lipo packs.

I'm using the Turnigy Nanotech 2s 25C lipos on my Losi XXX-SCB outfitted with Castle's SCT 1410 3700kv combo.

Outside temperature was around 95 degrees. ESC temp after a full pack was 126 degrees and the motor was at 114 degrees so nothing was overstressed.

Lipo batteries hitting 100 degrees isn't too bad of an issue it was still warm to the touch and it wasn't even puffed. The weird thing is one of them puffed several hours later. I guess I need packs with at least 30C?

I don't understand...the Losi XXX-SCB is super light and weighs no more than maybe 3 pounds RTR weight including battery.

Set the lipo cutoff at auto-cutoff..
Old 09-10-2011, 10:20 PM
FoamyVictim

Wow super fast replies...I should have explained my running gear first. First thing is yes LVC is set at 3.2V/cell via Castlelink as I know I'm using subpar lipo packs.

Lipo batteries hitting 100 degrees isn't too bad of an issue it was still warm to the touch and it wasn't even puffed. The weird thing is one of them puffed several hours later. I guess I need packs with at least 30C?

I don't understand...the Losi XXX-SCB is super light and weighs no more than maybe 3 pounds RTR weight including battery.

Did you run them down to cutoff? If so, here's your mistake; That lipo cutoff only knows the total voltage of the pack. Even when balanced, that doesn't mean the cells have identical capacity. So, when your ESC detects low voltage, you could have one cell right at 3.5 volts, with the other well under that. It doesn't matter if its an 8th scale on 4S or a teeny tiny 18th scale. If you have multiple cells, LVC is a BAD idea. Never Ever run a lipo until the LVC stops it. As SOON as it slows down, STOP. Put it on a balance charger and recharge. If you ran them to LVC, there's a good chance you messed up your pack. Its not sub-par batteries, or HK's fault. Its this notion that setting your LVC a little higher than the "minimum" is gonna save your pack when you run it down that low.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:44 PM
[email protected]

um HobbyKing Lipos are great. If you want to complain go and pay $200 for your batteries but most of us are happy with 15$
Old 09-10-2011, 11:12 PM
psb667

patience
Old 09-11-2011, 02:38 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Wow super fast replies...Ishould have explained my running gear first. First thing is yes LVC is set at 3.2V/cell via Castlelink as Iknow I'm using subpar lipo packs.

Lipo batteries hitting 100 degrees isn't too bad of an issue it was still warm to the touch and it wasn't even puffed. The weird thing is one of them puffed several hours later. Iguess I need packs with at least 30C?

Idon't understand...the Losi XXX-SCBis super light and weighs no more than maybe 3 pounds RTRweight including battery.

It sounds like you have a cell balance problem only. At most it could be a capacity match problem or an already damaged/weak cell.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:42 AM
Ivo60

I never bought any large batteries from HK but..... I have been using 3 cell 2200s for about 4 years from HK now and never had an issue??
Old 09-11-2011, 05:50 AM
TimBle

are you using the appropriate balance board between the Hyperion charger and the Turnigy battery?The Hyperion packs and Turnigy packs use different balance tap configurations. If you using the Hyperion balance board then your charging problem is right there
Old 09-11-2011, 09:34 AM
Cleared2Engage

What I ended up doing after puffing packs on my rc trucks is setting my lvc to 3.5v with the castle software. I used to have it at 3.0v but packs were mysteriously puffing and no longer holding voltage........
Old 09-11-2011, 04:07 PM
silvermansteve
My Feedback: (2)

interesting thread. i'm just glad to hear i'm not the only one who has shorted battery packs while installing deans plugs....
Old 09-11-2011, 04:53 PM
Warbird Joe

ORIGINAL: silvermansteve

interesting thread. i'm just glad to hear i'm not the only one who has shorted battery packs while installing deans plugs....
I shorted mine. Took it apart and resoldered the gap and heat shrinked it. The turnigy batteries ( 3S 2200 mah) gor $8.49 have out performed my Thunder Power that Vostok me $65. I will never buy anything but Turnigy. The batteries are awesome.

Joe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.