Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

BIG ENGINE SMALL PLANE

Old 09-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: BIG ENGINE SMALL PLANE

Many of them fly extremely well, but I've observed many that have their planes built and set up by others due to lack of ability in those areas.

As for power requirements, I used to fly 45 pound planes with a 28cc engine and have flown 120+ pound planes with 100cc engines so I believe I have a pretty fair understanding of what can fly what. The limitation is the length of a runway and desire to fly aerobatics and high alpha. You obviously don't with those aircraft.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:45 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally like to define RC as a hobby if flying around in leisure time, and as a sport if flying IMAC or pattern, or other AMA classes.

Flying 45lb wit a 28cc does not fit the above and probably is job related.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:51 PM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the guy is most likely trolling , with a dumb question like that why you guys feed into it ?

Old 09-10-2011, 06:03 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either that or he wanted something "Extreme", probably not realizing that at the state of the art right now, 50cc airplanes with 50cc engines ARE "extreme".

Many years ago, before 3D, I flew at high density altitudes. People would look at me like I was "nuts" when I would put .60 size engines on .40 size airframes. Now, I have a Twist .40 with a Fox .78 on it, and nobody thinks that is extreme at all!! Airplanes that can hover, and then accelerate to 50+ miles an hour straight up are fairly common now....

AV8TOR
Old 09-10-2011, 06:05 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well to be honest with you I always wondered the some thing, but I had the same convershion with my flying budys today. It seems to stem from there use of nitro birds.

When a manufacture says .45-.60 and if flys slow and like crap, most put a nice .90-1.20

But I try to tell them you cant do that with gas motors. The plane in question was a CMP P40, the guy said he wanted to put a DLE 20 in it, but thought it would be to small, as it calls for a 120-180 4 stroke.

I told him it will fly it nice a scale, but for the cost of a DLE 20 you mite as well pay the $30 more and get a DLE 30. Thats when loud mouth jumped in a said you should stop messing around and get the DLE 55. I tried to exsplan that a 55 would be exstrem in weight and power and would probly not be all that fun.

I say this becouse I have a .90 size 540T Edge 65in wing span. I got board and put a TYG 52CC gas motor with a 22X6 prop, way power over kill made 23 pounds thrust on a 12 pound plane. But it did not 3D all that well, sure it could hover all day long but it was not that fun to fly

But I just picked up a 30cc Size 540T Edge 74in wing span, put a DLE 30 and a 20X6 zinger and it is the best plane I have ever flown. I love the power the 3D is all I ever wanted.

I want to say that a really well set up plane will make you look like a better pliot any day!

Sick with what others have said works well, you should not be disapointed.

Good Luck Mike
Old 09-11-2011, 04:15 AM
littledevile420
My Feedback: (20)

are you nuts? a 100cc on a 29% sbach? i have a pilot sbach 29% with a da60 spinning a 24x10 and it is ballistic. and if you want any more there is a mt70 twin i had on a 30% yak which is nice and crazy. but a 100 is surely too much. the wing loading and vibrations will tear this plane apart. plus you could never land onr take off  since your prop would be digging in the dirt.(27x10) yea right thats a bad idea for flying and a great idea to see someone destroy a great plane.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:14 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

ORIGINAL: zacharyR

the guy is most likely trolling , with a dumb question like that why you guys feed into it ?

If you read T.O.M. post earlier in this thread on IMAC competition. You will not make such a smart comment.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:51 AM
damroadhog

ORIGINAL: apalsson

ORIGINAL: daveopam

If you are just after power, put a DA-85 on it.
David
A nice side effect from that is your plane will vibrate apart in 10 minutes.
DA-85 = vibrator = ladies engine

If you're after that effect, why not an MT80? .. a lot more power, not all that more vibration
The new or updated DA 85 is NOT a vibrator, try one or better yet let your ladies try one and you will soon be geting more action.
DA did a great job with 85cc , one of the best of there many geat engines.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:23 AM
Tired Old Man

A more accurate statement would be the 3w 85 has never had the imbalance issues any other 85 has. The next in line would be the ZDZ 90. Once people lose the brand loyalty brought on by slick advertising, and the corporate shills called sponsored flyers, they have the ability to make decisions based on factual evidence instead of hearsay or singular brand experience. How does one make a bold statement woithout having only owned one type of engine, or worse, none in the described class? Failing to use and factually compare others in the same class makes their assessments less than worthless. It only adds them to the long list of the uneducated and people that jump to conclusions. It's like having only owned Chevy's with a 350 and so stating those are the best.

I will extend a thought here about large singles in general, which have breen around for a very long time. Anyone electing to use a single over 70cc's, thinking they will have a smooth running piece of machinery, has little between the ears. The old Brison 95 was less of a thumper than a current 85, but it could tear things up pretty good too. There is no such thing as a smooth running large bore single. If there was it would weigh more than twice as much as what is available. The concept of 80 to 90cc singles was less than intelligent where RC was concerned. They are a product that was released in the hopes they would find a use outside of a big chain saw. If there had not already been a twin using the same piston, rod, and rings they would not have happened. If there had been any hope consumers would have purchased a 75 to 85cc twin from the companies that developed them the singles would not have happened.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:41 AM
damroadhog

TOM
Just makes me crazzy when someone comes on here and makes a comment about the DA 85, proves to me they have no idea what they are talking about, or he had an early one and gave up on it before the fix, whats it been 2 years ? the new 85 has been out?
(apalsson) made the coment only about the DA 85, as you know DA had many problems, but have worked them out and the engine is now fantastic, how did you like your DA 85 with the fix ?

Yes the 3W 85 is hands down best in it's class, and I do have one. The ZDZ is a grate engine as well, have one.
Of all the big singles I own , I have four DA 85 engines, why? because I like them.

When it comes to twins, I fly 3W, Why? because I like them.

3W, DA, DLE, MVVS, ZDZ, ZEN, EVO, CRRC, RCGF, JBL, from 15cc to 240cc

Take care

Dave

Old 09-12-2011, 11:27 AM
Tired Old Man

The 85 is still pretty much a thumper, though improved over the previous version. For the weight I'd take a BME 116 and have a smoother engine and just throttle back. My preference for large singles puts them exclusively in warbids and scale aircraft since they won't accept a twin in their cowls. I do like the 85, but only when packaged as a twin in a 170.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:52 AM
apalsson

I have a large composite Zero A6M5 where the manufacturer made certain engine recommendations (as they do)
In the instructions, the building sequence is straight forward but they dedicate a chapter to reinforcements you need to make, should you opt to install the DA85 (one of the suggested engines) to cope with the vibrations form it.
Despite comments made a few posts above, I actually DO have first hand experience with the DA85, both before and after the mods.
Undoubtedly, it is a lovely motor with reasonable power but I stand by my comments that is IS a vibrator

I find it funny how defensive the brand affinados become when this is brought up so how can I resist dangling this bait into the water to watch all the sharks smelling blood and fighting to take it, even at their own peril ?
Old 09-12-2011, 12:15 PM
Tired Old Man

Often they tred in areas unknown to them, and do so at great peril.

Others have access to just about every engine currently made, plus many no longer in production, in a diverse category of sizes and types. Most of them purchased through private intermediaries to avoid connectivity with a company name.