Black Magic with Inrunner?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 04:30 AM
patternflyr
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Magic with Inrunner?

Hey Guys,

I was wondering is anyone has setup a Black Magic using a Hacker or Neu inrunner motor? I have been running mine using an AXI for years with great results, but it is a heavy motor. As I have been having to repair my landing gear lately, weight is becoming a bit of an issue. So, i have thought about the possibility of trying an inrunner to save a bunch of weight.

Mike Hester was alway concerned about the amount of torque generated from the inrunners and how that might negatively affect the fiberglass cowl glued on the front of the plane. So, my question is, has anyone nose mounted an inrunner in the nose of a Black Magic or is there a way to mount an inrunner from the firewall?

Thanks,
Emory
Old 09-12-2011, 06:04 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Black Magic with Inrunner?

Emory,

I don't think mounting an in-runner to the cowl is a good idea. I think you could tie it back to the firewall somehow, or build up some structure, but having own V3's and knowing the cowls, and then flying in-runners now, I don't think I'd try to use the front of the cowl as a major support,

Arch
Old 09-12-2011, 04:23 PM
patternflyr

Hey Arch,
Yeah, I won't try mounting one to the cowl. has anyone mounted an in runner to the firewall? Any pics?
Thanks,
Emory
Old 09-13-2011, 12:57 AM
ExFokkerFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I mounted both a Hacker and a Neu to my Black Magic at one time... also a Himax, AXI, Turnigy etc...

I started with outrunners, and used an Esprit type mount. When I wanted to try an inrunner, the Neu was first, I just modified the mount to accept the motor by lengthening it and added a rear support. I don't have a picture of the Hacker mounted, but it was similar to the Neu.

Tom M
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16739.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	1661536   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67396.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	1661537  
Old 09-13-2011, 10:01 AM
edwarda10pilot
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Emory:

I am building a Black Magic electric fuse and Rick at: www.midatlanticairframes.com sells a motor box (very similar in design to the IMAC types of motor boxes and made of lite ply) and a firewall (F-1) for the electric version of the plane. The motor box glues/is inseted into F-1 so the firewall takes the torque load rather than asking the cowl to absorb the load. It is for an outrunner but it will work for an inrunner. I have attached some photos of my motor box for the VF 3 electric. you can fit the motor box to the existing firewall if you are willing to do some gringing and fitting. Try contacting Rick first and see what he can do for you. The price is very reasonable for what he provides.

Ed

Name:	Nl28375.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	1661722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55154.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	1661723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19933.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	1661724  
Old 09-13-2011, 05:16 PM
patternflyr

Hey guys,
Thanks for the pictures. Tom, I also have an Esprit mount in my Black Magic so that would be the easiest way for me to convert to an inn runner. Do you have the measurements that you used on your mount? Did you have to cut some to size? Any issues with that mount and motor? I think I am contemplating trying one of the Neu motors.
Thanks,
Emory
Old 09-13-2011, 07:08 PM
ExFokkerFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Emory,

I made the templates in TurboCAD, printed them out, and cut the pieces out of some carbon laminate that I had. Honestly, it really wasn't all that difficult to come up with, just work backwards from the firewall... where does the spinner need to be, what is the distance to the firewall? And work back from there. I had a bunch of pieces parts from various mounts over the years and just kept playing with different combos until it worked. It wasn't light, but then again, it wasn't all that heavy either... weighed about the same as the outrunner combo give or take an ounce. The outrunner is heavier, but there are more pieces to the inrunner mount.

For the Hacker, I just used the same rear piece and came up with a different front piece since the mounting is completely different. I used a non-comp C50 14xl and have that pattern too if you need it.

System worked out pretty well, wish I could say the same about the motor. I hear they are better constructed now, but since I had mine in three times in less than a year, with only about 100 flights on it, I was not impressed. I got it fixed up with the latest mods and sold it. Now, with my luck, it's probably been trouble free since... But I will never own another Neu under any circumstances because of my experience. Expensive paperweight to me.

But anyway, the power combination of the Neu and the Black Magic was pretty good and if you decide to go that way, you will not be wanting for any power.

I posted the jpg versions of the templates, if you want or need a better version, PM me with your address and I'll email either a PDF or something more usable for you.

Tom M

Name:	Bz77238.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	1662070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90513.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	1662071