Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

What''s your Largescale choice - Gas or Electric?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Petrol
74.47%
Electric
25.53%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

What''s your Largescale choice - Gas or Electric?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 05:24 PM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What''s your Largescale choice - Gas or Electric?

I personally believe that gas is a better experience with largescale vehicles. But hey, that's my opinion...what say thee?
Old 09-15-2011, 05:43 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What's your Largescale choice - Gas or Electric?

I like gas more. I like the realistic throttle response curve and powerband, as well as working on engines.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:06 PM
elven wizard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gas, gas and gas ! Gas all the way !! The sounds make it that much more real !
Old 09-15-2011, 06:43 PM
Obeast44

I chose electric, obviously. Ive had gassers, everyone who knows me knows my deal.

Basically when I get off work at 7am I can go run in my yard and not bother my neighbors. Sure the runtimes are shorter, but not that short. With $110 worth of Zippy lipos I can get 25mins+ of runtime. If I want to run longer I can just change out the batteries and go again. My entire brushless setup for the XBe, including 3 pairs of batteries, a charger to charge 4 of them at the same time, ESC and motor were all less than $500 combined. Its hard to beat the power, controllability and just ease of use of electric. It fits my needs perfectly, I have plenty of runtime whenever I want (even at 3am!), CRAZY power and the ease of use.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:35 PM
Leeber

I started out with 1/10 electric RC cars (tamiya grasshopper!) and then moved onto a 1/10 kyosho gasser,
Then got a 1/8 gasser which I extended the chassis so it was more like 1/7th.
Then onto 23cc Smartech traveller. I dont miss the 1/10 electric or the 1/8th at all.
Im a basher not a racer tho.
Loud noises make your heart beat faster, when your heat beats faster you get excited.
Thats how i figure it, gassers are more exciting to me.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:15 AM
nitrohead5300

I don't believe the myth about electrics GAS, is the way to go !!! And don't tell me to get some beano!!
Old 09-16-2011, 09:05 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

People didn't used to believe the 'myth' that the world was round.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:20 AM
mooman007uk

didn't think it be long for a poll to crop up...gas all the way
Old 09-16-2011, 09:29 AM
Ron E

i have both and can't choose a favorite. i will say that i had 6 gas 1/5ths and after getting the electric i sold all but 1... i will always keep my 1st highly modded rampage tt and love running it, the sound of the full mod obr and ddm pipe is amazing! but... the xb-e is awesome, and thats stock, once all my mods are done it'll be insane. the xbe is so fun that i sold my mcd evo3 cheap just to fund mods for it. sooo, just get both... then i don't have to choose

both
Old 09-16-2011, 10:20 AM
VassilisG

Electric is very good to elevators , not to my rc.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:41 AM
Sherv
My Feedback: (1)

I dunno about you guys but my interest in 1/5th scales started due to the realism, weight, and sound. Gas all the way!
Old 09-16-2011, 05:44 PM
savagecommander

gas. 5700mah saddle pack and im outside ALL DAY, non stop, fill the tank and the carnage continues. people who think gassers are too loud are the same people who made heated seats in cars a luxury.

i am waiting for my XL to come back from castle though..... :P
Old 09-17-2011, 07:07 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Electric just has no soul.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:39 AM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: 46u

that's a great way to put it...
brushless is cool, but.......?
personaly and this is just my opinion, I think the ones who demand brushless over gas, have no real idea how to tune or have no patience [:-]
I have a brushless revo and love it, but I have spend way more money on that truck than any other rc I've ever own..
something about just toping off the tank and keep on going...
Old 09-17-2011, 04:17 PM
Obeast44

Hehe it may have no soul, but its fast as *****!!!!! I will happily trade speed for sound any day of the week.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:14 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: Obeast44

Hehe it may have no soul, but its fast as *****!!!!! I will happily trade speed for sound any day of the week.
I will take class plus long run times any day of the week over speed. LOL
Old 09-17-2011, 06:51 PM
srt10

I will take class plus long run times any day of the week over speed. LOL
take a look around and not only will you see and hear the sweet sound of a high reving 2 stroke, but you will see some amazing speeds on a Baja 5B out there
my GP290 Baja should see upper 50's to low 60's with some different gearing... and that's plenty for me and my gasser
Old 09-18-2011, 12:34 AM
Obeast44

Those amazing speeds, take how long to get there? Personally I don't have my own personal 1/4 mile drag strip or an old airport runway, so its kind of pointless. Any car can get up to an "amazing" speed given the proper length of straight and gearing. My point is this, geared for the same top speed, the brushless cars (unless SEVERELY underpowered) would win hands down. For me, brushless is king.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:24 AM
srt10

Those amazing speeds, take how long to get there? Personally I don't have my own personal 1/4 mile drag strip or an old airport runway, so its kind of pointless. Any car can get up to an ''amazing'' speed given the proper length of straight and gearing. My point is this, geared for the same top speed, the brushless cars (unless SEVERELY underpowered) would win hands down. For me, brushless is king.
depends on how amazing???
mid 50's to low 60's don't take long at all with a GP290 or better motor!
My Baja rips wheelies all day long, and the videos I've seen of the brushless Bajas don't impress me at all like some talk... [:-]
a brushless powered Baja won't win hands down against my Baja
both make big power and both have great speeds
Old 09-18-2011, 06:44 AM
46u

Those amazing speeds, take how long to get there? Personally I don't have my own personal 1/4 mile drag strip or an old airport runway, so its kind of pointless. Any car can get up to an ''amazing'' speed given the proper length of straight and gearing. My point is this, geared for the same top speed, the brushless cars (unless SEVERELY underpowered) would win hands down. For me, brushless is king.
Would be interesting to put both 1/5 scale in a 40 minute main on a off road track. Most gas will be able to run the whole race with out stopping and how many times would you have to change the battery pack on a electric? At least once and more them likely twice. Not very fast when it is sitting still getting the batteries replace. Yes I agree in a straight line drag the electric will win but I did not buy a off road 1/5 scale to run in a straight line. With a stock 26 and good pipe on my 5b SS I can run 45 minutes plus with out having to stop. What is the most you will get out of one battery pack in a 1/5 scale?
Old 09-18-2011, 06:58 AM
srt10

Would be interesting to put both 1/5 scale in a 40 minute main on a off road track. Most gas will be able to run the whole race with out stopping and how many times would you have to change the battery pack on a electric? At least once and more them likely twice. Not very fast when it is sitting still getting the batteries replace. Yes I agree in a straight line drag the electric will win but I did not buy a off road 1/5 scale to run in a straight line. With a stock 26 and good pipe on my 5b SS I can run 45 minutes plus with out having to stop. What is the most you will get out of one battery pack in a 1/5 scale?
good points 46u
seems like some are just brushless sighted.. all they see is blacktop and straight lines...

the fact with brushless is this.. you need to over power your rig or you let out the magic smoke...
if you had a 4hp (peak) brushless motor in a Baja your going to have issues... heat for one, and that will cause electronics to fail
where as the 4hp gasser motor will have great acceleration and good speeds, could see wheelies plus long runtimes... and it will run and run with no heat issues or failures
in other words a 4hp Gasser motor vs a 4hp (peak) brushless motor and the gasser is going to kick that rotor!
if you put in the same power gas motor as a CC2028 motor, the whole thing changes on top speed and acceleration

as for me right now, I love the sweet smell and sound of my RootBeer scented gas GP290 Baja!
Old 09-18-2011, 07:04 AM
46u

Yes and with a standard engine like a Zen fully modified you can get up to 7.5 HP with something like a OBR full mod long rod. Then you can go with a OBR twin or BZ with 10 to 15 HP. [X(]
Old 09-18-2011, 07:08 AM
srt10

Yes and with a standard engine like a Zen fully modified you can get up to 7.5 HP with something like a OBR full mod long rod. Then you can go with a OBR twin or BZ with 10 to 15 HP. [X(]
yeah I've seen those twins and they are NUTS!
and how do we think that race would be ??
the Gasser is going to destroy the brushless in every way, specially runtimes and ease of running.. IMO
and in the long run it will be cheaper to run

I've never modded a nitro motor, but I would love to see that in my Losi 8ight-t
Old 09-18-2011, 07:10 AM
46u

I have a confession I do own some electric and are great when the weather is bad outside.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98136.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1663763   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99438.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1663764  
Old 09-18-2011, 07:12 AM
46u

ORIGINAL: srt10

yeah I've seen those twins and they are NUTS!
and how do we think that race would be ??
To me on a gasser 5 to 5.5 HP is more then enough!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.