Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

New to electrics/ opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 10:24 AM
wagspe208
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to electrics/ opinions

OK, background. I have been flying rc airplanes for years off and on. I am a capable pilot. I havew had everything from eagle 20?? to ultimate biplanes, sticks, profile planes, etc. So, skill level is ok.
I have always been a fuel guy. Never tried electric because it was junk (years ago).
Now, I want to try one out. I live in the country, so flying area is not an issue. Smooth landing surrface is. (well, long and smooth).
So, I want to jump in with something small to hand launch capable. 30" to 36" wingspan ish. I want to go profile plane cause they can be flown slow, do 3d, fly ok sport wise, etc. I have radio equipment JR. (but will have to get micro servos)

I was looking at the performance aerobatics shock. Decent looking plane. Priced not to bad.
I saw an e flite cap 232 maybe at the LHS. Also decent looking.

So, any suggestions. Like I said... if I like it, I will step up to something bigger and go to the field. These smaller pieces can be tossed in the service van and stop by the field on the way home, thrown up in the air in the back yard, etc.

Oh, I am not a 3d guy. I am more of a sport guy. Just like to be able to do some stuff if inclined. I also don't feel at all bad wadding up a profile plane. LOL

Thanks
Wags
Old 09-18-2011, 10:34 AM
wagspe208

Default RE: New to electrics/ opinions

Oh, I have a lipo charger from small helis.
I know nothing about ESC's, motors, etc. So, something matched would be great for starting out.
And I am not a fan of foam. So, they are out.
Thanks
Wags
Old 09-18-2011, 11:10 AM
grimmy55

have a look at www.hobbyking.com and in the top right corner of the pge you will see getting started in electic,s very good articles then go to planes in the side menu bar and go from there ,,most of the electric,s then explain what is needed for such and such a plane ie motor speed controller batteries etc pick a plane and go from there otherwise go to a local club theres plenty of guys with a lot of knowledge so pick there brains ,I know a lot of people are prejudice about chinese stuff but then again whats not made in china nearly all Tower stuff comes from there mate of mine just came back from the states bought a plane ,not buying bloody chinese rubbish here said got a great planes ultimate(bipe)great kit he said right price from right place etc
open the box printing on the inside of box made under licence for great planes made in china so I got the last laugh on him anyway the choices are endless good luck an d enjoy ,,hope this was helpful to you oh and fast del they have a branch in america
Old 09-19-2011, 09:44 PM
stagger123
My Feedback: (19)

if you dont have good short grass electric landing gear is useless.go for a belly lander you can fly them any where .there are some real nice warbirds.or theeasy star type with alirons.go belly lander best bet
Old 09-20-2011, 10:22 AM
wagspe208

The flying field is not hugely short, but I am lokinng for a over the bean field flyer. So, I'll just take the gear off.
I really like the "fun fly" profile planes with real airfoil shaped wings. Npt into the flat foam pieces. And for a starter to see if I like it, want something small. If I like electric, I'll get a flying field piece.
Thanks
Wags
Old 09-22-2011, 10:48 AM
epphobby

Hi all....I am from EPPHOBBY.COM and i would like to let you all know that i carry some tough EPP planes from TechOne Hobby.
For your particular interest, may i suggest you the 36" Yak54ARF. This airplane has an airfoiled wing, almost indestructible. Veryeasy to assemble, even for beginners.If you have any question or concern, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you

Willy