Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

DL 50 that never did run quite right

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DL 50 that never did run quite right

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 04:28 PM
madman75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DL 50 that never did run quite right

I've got a DL 50 that I bought new about 3 years ago. It never really did run right from day one. It always started easy but I had to tweek the LSN just about every time I flew the plane. I would find it rich from low throttle to midrange on one flight and I would adjust the LSN a little leaner. It would run fine for that flight but on the next one it would be to lean and I would have to adjust the LSN rich again. WOT was the only way it ran fine. I flew it this past Sunday and it was doing the same thing. In the past I just thought it was not broke in yet but this is ridiculous. Out of 3 flights, it needed tweeked every flight. It has almost 3 gallons of fuel ran thru it and it is getting worse. I figured I would just break down and get a Frank Bowman ring rebuild the carb. I took it apart and found a problem with the reeds. The reed cage doesn't fit right in the isolator block. There seems to be some kind of hard rubber in the isolator block where the reed cage goes in. If I push the reed cage into the block, two of the reeds will lift up about .005 ". Will the reed assembly from the DLE 55 work? Also, if the reeds aren't fully seated will this cause the problems I'm having? I might just get a reed assembly and ring for the darn thing. If these don't fix it, I'll just put another engine on it that also starts with a D.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:54 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: DL 50 that never did run quite right

The reed blocks are supposed to be the same
Old 09-21-2011, 12:52 PM
dogshome

Mine had the same problem. Very hard to start in my case. I stripped it down before getting much further to find out if it would run reliably as it was.

I trimmed the plastic block (the ridge) and the engine has been perfect ever since. Best engine I have!

I posted on here somewhere about it....
Old 09-21-2011, 01:12 PM
dogshome

Found it

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...&postcount=137

f l y i n g g i a n t s . c o m

Old 09-21-2011, 01:32 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

This works better....
http://tinyurl.com/3e6eyky
Old 09-22-2011, 12:43 PM
dogshome

Thanks! [8D]
Old 09-23-2011, 09:16 AM
madman75

I went ahead and ordered a piston ring from Frank Bowman and also a new isolator block and reed assembly from Tower. For kicks, I got some glass and lapping compound to check the reed cage faces. Boy were they really uneven. Low spots and also not flush across. I had to use 320 grit compund to true it up and then 500 grit with a polish at 1200 grit. The reed cage faces look like a mirror. It looks like the reed cage faces were put on a belt sander. There's no way the didn't leak. I'm curious how the new reed cage will look loke when I get it. Maybe DLE has taken a little more care and time on the newer reed cages.
Anyway the reeds fit flatter and tighter so I may end up using the old ones. I will check the new one to see if it is true and flat.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:12 PM
dogshome

Apart from the plastic/rubber lip being too high, the seal on my (DL50) was good. The finish was a semi-matt; definitely not horrible belt sanded stylee [:-]